Confused Sad Sikh Girl

Guest Sharanpreet

Guest Sharanpreet

I am 13 year old girl living in the united states and grew up in Sikh family. I was always told that girls and boys are equal in Sikhi but now I am not so sure. I see how my brother is treated different even though he is almost 2 years younger he is given more privilges. Also at the gurdwara I notice no female is ver doing anything big like by big job I mean more than langar. Why is always men in control of everything and make all the rules? Why can't women? Why no female Gurus, why when we went to India to harmandir sahib no females doing kirtan and were told no female can even touch the palki sahib? Now since I am at that age, I was told I am dirty and unclean because I am becoming adult, and cant do seva anymore. I wont tell openly to everyone if I am that time of month or not so I wont do any seva at all. Can you imagine boys having to tell openly to sangat they are impure and dirty when they are or are not. Like okay I can do seva today because I am not bleeding advertising to sangat. Or if you do it all the time seva, then stop for few days everyone will know and its embarassing that you are dirty and impure in Wahegurus eyes.  I read the other thread too on here where you guys were talking about women being bad people and Guru Gobind SIngh thinks we girls are bad because he wrote so much about it. 

Please tell me does Sikhi hate girls and did our Gurus see us as not worth as much as boys? And please dont say anything about its just a different role If you were the one told you were not allowed to do so much and its a just a role you would feel jealous of those who get to do everything as well. You would feel hatred of yourself. That there is some reason you are being punished to be made this gender. I am hating myself because Waheguru sees me as so lower than my brother. He will never have to know how it feels to be told he cant do things or be told he is dirty for something he has no control over. And you cant compare it to bathroom as we all do that and its only for as long as you are in bathroom and clean up.  Would Waheguru be mad if I want to become a boy? Or would it mean I am trying to get away from my punishment? Did I do something wrong in past life?  I feel I dont want to be a girl anymore and I see on tv how girls can become boys if they want to.  I just really dont want to be the hated gender and be seen as so low in wahegurus eyes. I feel like if being born a girl is punishment then its like I am walking around every day with a big sign saying I messed up somewhere so I have to now show everyone every day my shame as a girl.  This is how all these things make me feel. And I dont want to have baby and be stuck at home having to do housework all day. I want to do a good career like in science. I love my Mom but dont want to be her stuck at home doing boring things all day and being unhappy. I know she is unappy too and wishes she had a career but my Dad wouldnt let her. He bosses her around a lot.  I wish I was a boy so I would not have to live this life because its very hard to be girl. Boys do not understand at all how hard it is because their life is so good and Gurus loved boys and hated girls.  If I have to live as a girl rest of my life knowing Gurus and Waheguru are punishing me for something I dont know, I dont think I can do it.  If I killed myself could I be born as a boy?

4 hours ago, Guest Sharanpreet said:

I read the other thread too on here where you guys were talking about women being bad people and Guru Gobind SIngh thinks we girls are bad because he wrote so much about it. 

Can you please provide evidence for the above?

Bhul chuk maaf

5 hours ago, paapiman said:

Gurus love those (could be any gender) who have love/devotion towards them and the ones who apply Gurmat principles in their lives.

Bhul chuk maaf

Paapiman, is this what you consider to be living Gurmat principles? 

You have said before that even devi/devtay do not want a female body and that female body is considered a downgrade and you even suggested that women are only half humans (compared to men being full humans?) And you argued these points for about 4 pages in one thread! Is this what this 13 year old girl should take away as what is considered gurmat principles? That she is half human, a downgrade to her brother, and that the female body is so disgusting that even the devi/devtay only want male bodies and not females ones? This is what Sharanpreet should embrace as gurmat principles? 

111.jpg1112.jpg1113.jpg

Guest Sharanpreet, please do not feel disheartened. Our Gurus taught that all humans are equal and deserve equal treatment. 

This says it all, this is all you need to know:

Guru Granth Sahib ji Ang 599
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਏਕ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮੋਈ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥
Gurmukẖ ek ḏarisat kar ḏekẖhu gẖat gẖat joṯ samo▫ī jī▫o. ||2||
As Gurmukh, look upon all with the single eye of equality; in each and every heart, the Divine Light is contained. ||2||

If we Sikhs all followed this, there would be no problem. We would understand that gender is only transitory and means nothing. Its not a punishment, though yes there are challenges to being female that we as males will never understand. Waheguru would never have made you female if he did not think you were up to that challenge. In that way, it is actually maybe more meritorious being born female than it is being born male. 

Its your choice if you want to have children, or even be married. You can pursue any career you want (even if your parents do not agree, you just might have to do it once you leave their home is all). And what some Sikhs think or do, does not speak to the philosophy itself. If Singhs are keeping women from seva, that is them who is doing it, not Waheguru or our Gurus, who all taught that women should have dull equality to men. All seva is open to you, yes ALL. You just need to find Gurdwaras that do not discriminate or have attitude like paapiman in the screenshots above. 

Dont let anyone tell you that you cant do something because you are a girl. I tell my own daughter that all the time!  And if anyone tries to tell her that, I will give them piece of my mind!

17 hours ago, GurpreetKaur said:

All of that stuff has been said on this forum. Every single thing you are saying has been discussed on, argued on and it gotten to the point where no party was listening to each other but just getting on with the argument.  

You are 13.. Only 13 living in America ( a place where so much freedom is given that option is on you how you gonna and wanna use that freedom ). Even if you are given no freedom you can still get it. I don't know if your words are exactly your words or are being influenced by reading posts on this forum. Let's talk about being a housewife like your mom. I have not met a single Indian family who does not want their kids to excel in academic area and land a perfect job. Most of the mundey either getting on with drugs or driving trucks so parents always have high hopes from their daughters. Being happy and unhappy is such a weird phenomena, you can have everything and you can still be unhappy or you can be a penniless but can be the happiest person ever . However, let's agree that your family will force you to be a housewife then you always have the option to make it clear that you wanna have a career and work. Your husband will help you to have a career. This thing you should not be worrying and thinking about at the age of 13 to be honest .

I won't talk about why harimandar sahib Ji is not allowing women do Seva since I will never question why women are given the right to give birth and men not. And so many other rituals and rules which goes above our head but are there. Things like laws where you slap a man and people laugh with you but if you slap a woman they will be ready to kill. There are advantages and disadvantages of being a man and woman . This issue has been discussed and there are many other places which allows women to do all Seva and instead of fighting with the people who are non supportive, let's go to them who are supportive. We can waste our whole life fighting about who is given more priveledge and if we do the math, we will realize we women are not that victim as much we are calling ourself . You are pretty young, don't and I mean don't get influenced with things you read or hear. 

Why vaheguroo loves men more than women ?

And how exactly we have gotten to this conclusion? Oh based on the perception that society thinks men can have more freedom and able to do Seva at gurughar and women can't so god loves men more than women. Then think about all those people at this moment crying for food, God must have hated them so much that they are born like this. People suffering from diseases, dying every single day are the most hatred people by God?

you are only 13 and your thinking is Making me sad since all the stuff you said is exactly the words of other member and please don't go on that route. This women rights thing will get you so crazy that you will forget the real meaning of life.

Everybody regardless of their gender go through phases where they feel their life is worthless no matter how much money, status they have. It's human nature, only people who do meditation and do good deeds feel good about their lives .  Very few are those who can stay happy. Don't think your life is doomed since you are assuming all these things. Good and bad days both will come until you will learn there is no difference between them and it will take quite a time to get there unfortunately but it's all worth it lol 

I don't know where I am going with this but you gotta change your thinking and instead of looking all the stuff you saying. Look into the things you can do. Start with baby steps, look for the things you can do but your bro ether can't? Parents have their different ways to show love. I used to complain that my brother would get new clothes and I used to wear his used one. But my brother was more spoiled one and I was the easy one to listen so I was helping mom dad financially by wearing my brothers used school uniform lol. That time I never got it and now I know I helped them. I did get new clothes but those were girly ones. Even my friends used to get their older sisters used clothes so gender has nothing to do with it. Some parents love girls more than boys and it's pretty common and it has nothing to do with gender . I have never seen men complaining, they actually feel happy. My brother appreciate now when mom treating me really nice and he joins her and I kinda get extra attention . The point is everybody have their own way of showing love. 

Don't feel bad about being a woman, anybody who calls you unclean and dirty has to clean itself first. You are the only one who can judge where you stand, what other says will be useless since their opinion are their perceptions not your reality . I have never felt bad about being a woman, always felt blessed. Being a woman is a huge blessing, without women this world will stop so why think bad about oneself . Gurbani never put women down and 10th Master never hated women. I think you are referring to CK series, you are only 13. Start with what is good rather than what you assume is not good. Start with cultivating love first and see how it changes you . YouTube Hans wilheim, I am too lazy to upload but worth listening .

Great post. 

When I go to the Gurdwara I focus on the relationship between Maharaj and me. I don't worry about the mistakes or wrongs that other people are doing, that is between Maharaj and them. Obviously we are talking within reason here, not saying to ignore very serious things. 

On 25/06/2016 at 3:52 PM, Guest Sharanpreet said:

I am 13 year old girl

Having read the rest of the post, I find this disbeleivable. It looks like a deliberate attempt to rehash some of the wild rantings of a person best forgotten and present them as some kind of current feeling running through a very young Sikh girl.

17 hours ago, GurpreetKaur said:

you are only 13 and your thinking is Making me sad since all the stuff you said is exactly the words of other member and please don't go on that route. This women rights thing will get you so crazy that you will forget the real meaning of life.

Don't be sad. 13 year old girl? I seriously doubt it.

2 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

Having read the rest of the post, I find this disbeleivable. It looks like a deliberate attempt to rehash some of the wild rantings of a person best forgotten and present them as some kind of current feeling running through a very young Sikh girl.

And if you are wrong? Keep your disbeliefs to yourself.  Or at least your comments. I don't think this the time to bring up personal conflicts because if you are wrong you (and paapiman) could seriously be causing more damage to the state of mind of the original poster.  

On 6/25/2016 at 8:22 PM, Guest Sharanpreet said:

I am 13 year old girl living in the united states and grew up in Sikh family. I was always told that girls and boys are equal in Sikhi but now I am not so sure. I see how my brother is treated different even though he is almost 2 years younger he is given more privilges. Also at the gurdwara I notice no female is ver doing anything big like by big job I mean more than langar. Why is always men in control of everything and make all the rules? Why can't women? Why no female Gurus, why when we went to India to harmandir sahib no females doing kirtan and were told no female can even touch the palki sahib? Now since I am at that age, I was told I am dirty and unclean because I am becoming adult, and cant do seva anymore. I wont tell openly to everyone if I am that time of month or not so I wont do any seva at all. Can you imagine boys having to tell openly to sangat they are impure and dirty when they are or are not. Like okay I can do seva today because I am not bleeding advertising to sangat. Or if you do it all the time seva, then stop for few days everyone will know and its embarassing that you are dirty and impure in Wahegurus eyes.  I read the other thread too on here where you guys were talking about women being bad people and Guru Gobind SIngh thinks we girls are bad because he wrote so much about it. 

Please tell me does Sikhi hate girls and did our Gurus see us as not worth as much as boys? And please dont say anything about its just a different role If you were the one told you were not allowed to do so much and its a just a role you would feel jealous of those who get to do everything as well. You would feel hatred of yourself. That there is some reason you are being punished to be made this gender. I am hating myself because Waheguru sees me as so lower than my brother. He will never have to know how it feels to be told he cant do things or be told he is dirty for something he has no control over. And you cant compare it to bathroom as we all do that and its only for as long as you are in bathroom and clean up.  Would Waheguru be mad if I want to become a boy? Or would it mean I am trying to get away from my punishment? Did I do something wrong in past life?  I feel I dont want to be a girl anymore and I see on tv how girls can become boys if they want to.  I just really dont want to be the hated gender and be seen as so low in wahegurus eyes. I feel like if being born a girl is punishment then its like I am walking around every day with a big sign saying I messed up somewhere so I have to now show everyone every day my shame as a girl.  This is how all these things make me feel. And I dont want to have baby and be stuck at home having to do housework all day. I want to do a good career like in science. I love my Mom but dont want to be her stuck at home doing boring things all day and being unhappy. I know she is unappy too and wishes she had a career but my Dad wouldnt let her. He bosses her around a lot.  I wish I was a boy so I would not have to live this life because its very hard to be girl. Boys do not understand at all how hard it is because their life is so good and Gurus loved boys and hated girls.  If I have to live as a girl rest of my life knowing Gurus and Waheguru are punishing me for something I dont know, I dont think I can do it.  If I killed myself could I be born as a boy?

90% plus sikh girls and women , wax , pluck their eyebrows  and still call themselves sardarni. Nobody give damn about this, but  a boy become mona the entire wrath of sikh society fall on him , what about this discrimination?

Sikh girls can or cannot wear turban , but a sikh boy must wear that , what about this?

8 minutes ago, kdsingh80 said:

90% plus sikh girls and women , wax , pluck their eyebrows  and still call themselves sardarni. Nobody give damn about this, but  a boy become mona the entire wrath of sikh society fall on him , what about this discrimination?

Sikh girls can or cannot wear turban , but a sikh boy must wear that , what about this?

These are good points that also need to be resolved. Turbans all around for Amritdhari. And no removal of kesh for anyone! Easy. I actually think if more girls tied dastaars the Singhs would start seeing them more as equals actually! 

But nobody can force anyone to do anything. Becoming Amritdhari is by choice not by compelling someone. Every Sikh boy I know who cuts his kesh, has not been subject of wrath by anyone. Rather, people felt disappointed and sad. But it was the boys choice! 

4 minutes ago, JasperS said:

These are good points that also need to be resolved. Turbans all around for Amritdhari. And no removal of kesh for anyone! Easy. I actually think if more girls tied dastaars the Singhs would start seeing them more as equals actually! 

But nobody can force anyone to do anything. Becoming Amritdhari is by choice not by compelling someone. Every Sikh boy I know who cuts his kesh, has not been subject of wrath by anyone. Rather, people felt disappointed and sad. But it was the boys choice! 

Amritdhari's are very small percentage of population , I see very few men who are amritdhari in my Gurdwara and almost no woman particularly with turban . If non amritdhari's will leave turban then turbans will become almost extinct , the exemptions the sikhs are fighting will be taken away on many places as there will be hardly amritdhari's or turban wearing sikhs

3 minutes ago, kdsingh80 said:

Amritdhari's are very small percentage of population , I see very few men who are amritdhari in my Gurdwara and almost no woman particularly with turban . If non amritdhari's will leave turban then turbans will become almost extinct , the exemptions the sikhs are fighting will be taken away on many places as there will be hardly amritdhari's or turban wearing sikhs

Except, its not mandatory for non Amritdhari males to tie turbans either. So you can't say that it is mandatory for males and not for females. In reality its only mandatory for male Amritdharis, and I believe it should be mandatory for Amritdhari females also. It would resolve a lot.  

What good does it do to force a non Amritdhari male to tie turban, when he is not even making full commitment to Sikhi? If he is going around drinking alcohol in spare time, I'd really rather he did not tie a turban at all actually! That is just living a lie to me! And one of the big things that makes me upset! If this is what you are supporting, keeping these guys in turbans even though they are only doing so for cultural reasons and not for commitment to Sikhi then why even bother? 

But this is off topic and not appropriate given the subject matter of the original post. We can start a new thread if you like talking about turbans and whether to compel non Amritdhari to tie them or not or if it is even right or appropriate to do so. 

12 minutes ago, JasperS said:

Except, its not mandatory for non Amritdhari males to tie turbans either. So you can't say that it is mandatory for males and not for females. In reality its only mandatory for male Amritdharis, and I believe it should be mandatory for Amritdhari females also. It would resolve a lot.  

What good does it do to force a non Amritdhari male to tie turban, when he is not even making full commitment to Sikhi? If he is going around drinking alcohol in spare time, I'd really rather he did not tie a turban at all actually! That is just living a lie to me! And one of the big things that makes me upset! If this is what you are supporting, keeping these guys in turbans even though they are only doing so for cultural reasons and not for commitment to Sikhi then why even bother? 

But this is off topic and not appropriate given the subject matter of the original post. We can start a new thread if you like talking about turbans and whether to compel non Amritdhari to tie them or not or if it is even right or appropriate to do so. 

Not true , keshdhari Sikh boys have to wear turban in sikh schools , you can enjoy sikh quota priviliege in sikh colleges only if you wear turban and keep uncut hairs.while no such restrictions exist for sikh girls. For sikh quota they only have to keep head hair uncut

3 minutes ago, kdsingh80 said:

Not true , keshdhari Sikh boys have to wear turban in sikh schools , you can enjoy sikh quota priviliege in sikh colleges only if you wear turban and keep uncut hairs.while no such restrictions exist for sikh girls. For sikh quota they only have to keep head hair uncut

Well I will agree with you this is wrong. It should be same across the board. You know the yogi bhajan school Miri Piri Academy, both male and female must tie turbans and wear bana. Its mandatory to be student there. I know of some other Sikh schools that are the same way and yes they are punjabi run. Rest of them, maybe try pushing for both male and female to do so if you think girls also should! If you start an online cause I would support it! 

Most of the people are too distracted to bother about spirituality but when they do they get distracted by such topics and obsess about certain issues.

Life is really short. One's goal is to preserve energy & not waste it in debates about controversial issues.

People are looking for masala/spices even in religious matters.

Guest justice singh

At 13, you really shouldn't be worried, but it is good that you are making these observations.

Sadly, the Sikh society has created it's own problems by mixing cultural issues with sikhi. Then we have the extremist cultsthat paapiman likes adhere to, that claim to be the real Sikhs. They show disrespect to women whilst claiming to be chosen governors of the panth..>>>>>>>what a god-damned mess!!

Chariter's threads seem to used as ammunition by these cultists, but in reality, they are completely clueless to what they really mean and where these tales came from.

You got it, these same guys that paint this false picture are also the spoilt mummy's boys. The sons that get priorities over their sisters and go around shouting their distorted beliefs.

Guest Sharanpreet

Sikhi has not changed since Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji's time , it has always been beautiful , showing love, respect , compassion to all human kind . ( end of no ifs and buts) 

ITs us humans , who are making up our own rules , our own jattabandis NOT Sikhi.

So as a humble request , aim is to follow sikhi from the heart , learn  , read , sing gurbani ( I know its easy to write this , but hard to do but aim is to do it ). YOur inner self will then tell you how beautiful Sikhi is , any doubts , misconceptions will be cleared , will become irrelevant , your connection with the almighty will be yours and yours alone . You will be guided correctly , without even knowing .

4 hours ago, DSG said:

Guest Sharanpreet

Sikhi has not changed since Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji's time , it has always been beautiful , showing love, respect , compassion to all human kind . ( end of no ifs and buts) 

ITs us humans , who are making up our own rules , our own jattabandis NOT Sikhi.

Agreed! And supported by Gurbani.

On 6/27/2016 at 3:29 AM, Guest justice singh said:

Chariter's threads seem to used as ammunition by these cultists, but in reality, they are completely clueless to what they really mean and where these tales came from.

All Sampradas (Groups), which trace their origin to Sri Satguru jee, believe in Sri Chartiropakhian Sahib jee as Gurbani. Additionally, two of our Takhts (Sri Hajoor Sahib jee - Nanded and Sri Harmandar Sahib jee - Patna) have Prakash of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib jee's saroops.

Cultists/Heretics are the ones, who do not believe in all Gurbani, which is a big sin in Sikhism.

Read the Charitars with an open mind and you will see that they are a treasure house of knowledge. 

Also, please go through the following thread.

Bhul chuk maaf