Top 5 Sikh Granths

6 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

In your opinion saad sangat Ji what granths are in your top 5 other than Sri guru Granth sahib Ji, sri dasam granth etc that you guys recommend for aspiring scholars or kathakaars. 

In addition to the granths listed by Kam paaji and n30 paaji, the below (IMHO) must be read by aspiring Kathakaars:

• Amir Bhandar teeka - Most likely, the best complete teeka of SSGGSJM
  • Teeka (incomplete) of SSGGSJM by Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh jee
  • Garab Ganjani teeka by Bhai Sahib Bhai Santokh Singh jee
  • Faridkoti Teeka by Gyani Badan Singh jee
  • Gurbani Shabad Sidhi Granths - Shardha Pooran Granth, Mukat Marag Granth, etc
  • Historical Granths - Sri Panth Prakash by Gyani Rattan Singh jee, Sri Panth Prakash by Gyani Gyan Singh, Sri Gurbilas Patshahi 6, Sri Gurbilas Patshahi 10, Sri Mehma Prakash, etc

Bhul chuk maaf

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2016 at 7:08 PM, paapiman said:

In addition to the granths listed by Kam paaji and n30 paaji, the below (IMHO) must be read by aspiring Kathakaars:

• Amir Bhandar teeka - Most likely, the best complete teeka of SSGGSJM
  • Teeka (incomplete) of SSGGSJM by Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh jee
  • Garab Ganjani teeka by Bhai Sahib Bhai Santokh Singh jee
  • Faridkoti Teeka by Gyani Badan Singh jee
  • Gurbani Shabad Sidhi Granths - Shardha Pooran Granth, Mukat Marag Granth, etc
  • Historical Granths - Sri Panth Prakash by Gyani Rattan Singh jee, Sri Panth Prakash by Gyani Gyan Singh, Sri Gurbilas Patshahi 6, Sri Gurbilas Patshahi 10, Sri Mehma Prakash, etc

Bhul chuk maaf

To add to the above:

• Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Steek by Pandit Gyani Narain Singh jee
  • Steek of Vaaran (Srimaan Bhai Sahib Bhai Gurdas jee)
  • Steek of Srimaan Bhai Sahib Bhai Nand Lal jee's works
  • All Rehatnamay

Bhul chuk maaf

On 7/22/2016 at 7:08 PM, paapiman said:

• All Janamsakhis
  • Sikhan di Bhagat mala

Bhul chuk maaf

Rhetorics so the person has a understanding of how to cater his message to the audience he is talking to.What level he needs to speak at, use of vocab so you dont confuse the listeners etc.

Politics is mostly in terms of having a kathavaak who understands the world and how societies work etc. I often feel that kathavaaks dont understand the world around them that well

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, BhagatSingh said:

There's an easier way.

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=1&g=1&h=1&r=1&t=1&p=0&k=2

In srigranth, just click on the word and the mahankosh meaning will open up along with punjabi dictionary.

You can also load Prof Sahib singh and Farid Kote teekas in there, from the top-right menu options.

There are multiple different translations.

It's a good website.

Thanks for the link. Its a really good website as it gives option of different teekas like Prof Sahib Singh and Fardikot Teeka.

1. Gurbani Paath Darshan by Gian Gurbhachan Singh

2. SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB KOSH   A Dictionary of the Sikh Scripture by Bhai Veer Singh Ji

3. Sikhism for Modern Man by Kapur Singh (interprets  Sikhism in the background of crisis of conscience  of modern men )

4. Gurmukh Sikiya  by Bhai Vir Singh (ever classic literature on naam simran)

I'd say (at this moment) the most eye opening granths from my experience have been (these are not in any particular order):

Prem Sumarag - Because of its sophistication and very enlightened scope of society and human nature. 

Panth Prakash by Rattan Singh Bhangu - This gives a true warts and all account of Sikh history that isn't infected by later whitewashing, western compromised Singh Sabha thought.

Gursobha by Sainapati - This provides an early account of dasmesh pita and Khalsa history. I haven't studied this as much as I would like yet. It's interesting to note the reference of afeem use by Singhs. I think it was something they may have used to endure long horseback journeys? 

Twarikh Guru Khalsa by Giani Gian Singh - This is another monumentally important granth that gives us a perspective from an independent minded and intellectual Singh who lived through the Sikh empire in its heyday, as well as the colonised period. 

Suraj Prakash by Kavi Santokh Singh - This is important because it followed Sikh pre-colonial precedents of writing (Brij Bhasha rhymes) when the dominant style was the western influenced Singh Sabha model. 

I have to add  a sixth - Mahan Kosh by Kahn Singh Nabha - invaluable for its references.