Guest Joe

Hello,

First let me apologize for my intrusion into your community. I am not Sikh, but I have great respect for your community and beliefs and I was hoping someone could provide me with some guidance on a situation my son is involved with. My son who is autistic was having a problem with a Sikh boy at his camp today and was repeatedly pulling his patka off his head. My son is not able to articulate the source of the conflict.  My question is, how offensive and how upsetting would this be for the Sikh boy and his family?  I don't want to make a bigger deal of it than it is, but without knowing the context or import of the head covering I can't gauge the appropriate level response. We will obviously do our best to make sure it doesn't continue tomorrow, but we don't know if further measures are necessary (like writing a letter to the boy and his family explaining my son's difficulties and our regrets about the situation). 

I also apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for outsiders to ask uninformed questions.

Respectfully,

Joe

3 hours ago, Guest Joe said:

Hello,

First let me apologize for my intrusion into your community. I am not Sikh, but I have great respect for your community and beliefs and I was hoping someone could provide me with some guidance on a situation my son is involved with. My son who is autistic was having a problem with a Sikh boy at his camp today and was repeatedly pulling his patka off his head. My son is not able to articulate the source of the conflict.  My question is, how offensive and how upsetting would this be for the Sikh boy and his family?  I don't want to make a bigger deal of it than it is, but without knowing the context or import of the head covering I can't gauge the appropriate level response. We will obviously do our best to make sure it doesn't continue tomorrow, but we don't know if further measures are necessary (like writing a letter to the boy and his family explaining my son's difficulties and our regrets about the situation). 

I also apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for outsiders to ask uninformed questions.

Respectfully,

Joe

Welcome to our forum which is open to everyone. I am sorry about your situation as a parent. I understand challenges behind autism..i wish your son well, very healthy conscious mindful living.Its upsetting and offensive for sure for sikh in this case sikh pupil to have his patka pulled off from his head. Patka-head covering/turban is considered sacred symbol - crown sikhs wear proudly as sign of nobility and practically to take care of our hair. Yes please do write a letter providing proper context of incident, situation that took place. Most sikhs are also very forgiving as compassion(dya) is integral part of sikh faith. They will understand the situation behind the incident.