are mushrooms vegetarian according to sikhism

Guest just me

3 hours ago, Guest just me said:

I just wanted to know if mushrooms r vegetarian:) I am a bit puzzled, any help will be appreciated. Thanks

There are four khanis mentioned in Sri Chaupai Sahib jee

• Andaj - born from eggs - non-veg
  • Jayraj - born from sweat - this Khani might encompass more 
  • Saythaj - born from womb - non-veg
  • Uthbuj - born from earth - veg

Mushrooms are a Fungus. They might be Jayraj. According to Gurmat, IMHO, they will be classified as vegetarian.

Bhul chuk maaf

Mushrooms are vegan as they don't come chickens like chickpeas or eggs, dairy or meat.  They are plant food and full of toxins, especially, the ones that grow wild. Some people get allergic reaction to them if their immune system is weak after flu or a common cold.

Actually, fungus are considered living organisms which are much much closer related to animal than plant. They have chitin in their cell walls, plants do not. 

As food goes, most people consider mushrooms to be vegetables because they cook and eat like a veggie. But they are actually more animal like than plant like. 

Besides it's as Guru Nanak said "what is meat? what is green vegetables? what leads to sin?" makes us think. Trees actually have very intricate communication networks through their root systems, and plants can feel and react to damaging stimuli (pain?) 

On 8/9/2016 at 2:30 PM, Guest Gora said:

They are plant food 

The neither belong to the plant or the animal kingdom

Mushrooms are fungi, and are usually placed in a Kingdom of their own apart from plants and animals.

Unquote[1]

[1] - http://www.gmushrooms.com/info.htm

They cannot be categorized under Andaj or Jayraj Khanis (the food obtained from them is forbidden for the Sikhs, unless required for survival/medicinal purposes). Therefore, IMHO, they will be permitted to be consumed, under the Sikh laws.

If anyone can provide Saint-Scholarly evidence, that would be great.

Bhul chuk maaf