I want to take Amrit but i am not yet ready to keep kesh

ADSingh

Hello, SSA ji.

I am a deep spiritual person in software business. I see lot of people around me entangled in randomness of life and have no way to get out of the cycle they are in. I can see through most of it and try to preserve my values through simran, listening to jap ji sahab, chaupai sahab, rehras sahab couple of times in a week. I do mediations and breathing exercises regularly. In all, everything is good but i feel i want to take it a new level now. I want to upgrade my lifestyle by having a stronger purpose in life with a stronger connection with god. (I have a different interpretation of god. God is person whom i can adore and follow. I do not who god is but i can relate to all the things Guru Nanak dev ji has preached. He has lived a life to explore all questions of this life and has passed on his learnings in form of Gurbani.)  

I have been wanting to take Amrit for many years now but don't want to keep kesh. I understand the significance of all - Kesh, Kada, Kanghi, Kachera and  Kirpan. Gurugobind Singh ji wanted to pass on a message through these symbols which keeps our resolve and intensions as original. Sikh derives his pride from his identity and Kesh i am important part of it. But i cannot reconcile myself to this symbolization but i am ready to follow the path of the Gurus. I was born in to a Sikh Family but my faith has increased over time looking at other faiths and how convoluted religions have become in the world affairs. Sikhism still has it basic aspects khalis since it is the newest religion on earth.

I would seek advice from this community and see what you think about my perspective here.  I will be grateful for your replies.

WJJK WJKF!!

First of all I congratulate you for having such thoughts..It may be an inner alarm for a great spiritual life ahead!! What we get to do is dont think you are thinking so!!Just say I dont know what's happening and how it's happening!! Just flow with rythm and say maharaj 

Mera muj mai kish naahi jo kish hai so tera!!

Say maharaj I dunno why I've not kept kesh yet!! Dunno why I am still devoid of amrit even After taking birth in house of guru nanak!! And dunno How I spent past very years of my life and now dunno how these thoughts are coming!! Say again and again maharaj I have no idea that why I want to be what I'm not yet!! 

Na ho krta na mai kiya!!

I have done nothi g yet; and I am doing nothing now!

Dont look around!! Dont dont see how others are doing!! Dont calculate yourself with others! 

Just say It's onlyyy youu who are awakening these vairagggmayiii thoughts within me!! And it's onlyyyyyy you who can make it happen!!

I might be in the same boat!!

And in case of taking amrit ,I'm still in same boat!!

I usually cry each day that maharaj please bless me with amrit! I keep all rehats and try my best to be in rehani!!

But still I'm not blessed!!

(I dun think if I should share it or not):Few days Back,I was in so much vairaag! It was like I want to take amrit at the moment.. Then After praying I asked Guru Gobind Singh Maharaj to reply me about my destiny if I can get amrit or not..I also asked maharaj plzz tell me if I can,then this will happen sooner or will take time.. I was crying and then I took hukamnaama..yOu know what hukamnaama I got,,,I was like maharajjjjjjjjjj and I lost all words..

raag maaroo mehalaa 1 ghar 5
ik oa(n)kaar sathigur prasaadh ||
ahinis jaagai needh n sovai ||
so jaanai jis vaedhan hovai ||
praem kae kaan lagae than bheethar vaidh k jaanai kaaree jeeo ||1||
jis no saachaa sifathee laaeae || guramukh viralae kisai bujhaaeae ||
a(n)mrith kee saar soee jaanai j a(n)mrith kaa vaapaaree jeeo ||1|| rehaao ||
pir saethee dhhan praem rachaaeae ||
gur kai sabadh thathhaa chith laaeae ||
sehaj saethee dhhan kharee suhaelee thrisanaa thikhaa nivaaree jeeo ||2||
sehasaa thorrae bharam chukaaeae ||
sehajae sifathee dhhanakh charraaeae ||
gur kai sabadh marai man maarae su(n)dhar jogaadhhaaree jeeo ||3||
houmai jaliaa manahu visaarae ||
jam pur vajehi kharrag karaarae ||
ab kai kehiai naam n milee thoo sahu jeearrae bhaaree jeeo ||4||
maaeiaa mamathaa pavehi khiaalee ||
jam pur faasehigaa jam jaalee ||
haeth kae ba(n)dhhan thorr n saakehi thaa jam karae khuaaree jeeo ||5||
naa ho karathaa naa mai keeaa ||
a(n)mrith naam sathigur dheeaa ||
jis thoo dhaehi thisai kiaa chaaraa naanak saran thumaaree jeeo ||6||1||12||

Raag Maaroo, First Mehla, Fifth House: 
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:
Day and night, he remains awake and aware; he never sleeps or dreams.
He alone knows this, who feels the pain of separation from God.
My body is pierced through with the arrow of love. How can any physician know the cure? ||1||
Rare is that one, who as Gurmukh, understands, and whom the True Lord links to His Praise.
He alone appreciates the value of the Ambsosial Nectar, who deals in this Ambrosia. ||1||Pause||
The soul-bride is in love with her Husband Lord;
the focuses her consciousness on the Word of the Guru's Shabad.
The soul-bride is joyously embellished with intuitive ease; her hunger and thirst are taken away. ||2||
Tear down skepticism and dispel your doubt;
with your intuition, draw the bow of the Praise of the Lord.
Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, conquer and subdue your mind; take the support of Yoga - Union with the beautiful Lord. ||3||
Burnt by egotism, one forgets the Lord from his mind.
In the City of Death, he is attacked with massive swords.
Then, even if he asks for it, he will not receive the Lord's Name; O soul, you shall suffer terrible punishment. ||4||
You are distracted by thoughts of Maya and worldly attachment.
In the City of Death, you will be caught by the noose of the Messenger of Death.
You cannot break free from the bondage of loving attachment, and so the Messenger of Death will torture you. ||5||
I have done nothing; I am doing nothing now.
The True Guru has blessed me with the Ambrosial Nectar of the Naam.
What other efforts can anyone make, when You bestow Your blessing? Nanak seeks Your Sanctuary. ||6||1||12||

Please read the tukk in rehaoo!!

And maharaj also replied sehaj SAETHEEEE dhan karee suhaelee...

Bin bhaaga kuj nhii milda!!

Dhan are the souls who are blessed and I touch the feet of these souls!!

I hope you get all your answers!

Gur fateh!!

On 11/22/2016 at 4:36 PM, ADSingh said:

I have been wanting to take Amrit for many years now but don't want to keep kesh. I understand the significance of all - Kesh, Kada, Kanghi, Kachera and  Kirpan. Gurugobind Singh ji wanted to pass on a message through these symbols which keeps our resolve and intensions as original. Sikh derives his pride from his identity and Kesh i am important part of it. But i cannot reconcile myself to this symbolization but i am ready to follow the path of the Gurus. I was born in to a Sikh Family but my faith has increased over time looking at other faiths and how convoluted religions have become in the world affairs. Sikhism still has it basic aspects khalis since it is the newest religion on earth.

Bro, if you want to take Amrit, you will have to keep kesh. Killing (Cutting) of Kesh is a cardinal sin in Sikhism.

Kesh are not a mere symbol only. They offer great benefits to the human body too.

Bhul chuk maaf

On 11/22/2016 at 9:36 PM, ADSingh said:

Hello, SSA ji.

I am a deep spiritual person in software business. I see lot of people around me entangled in randomness of life and have no way to get out of the cycle they are in. I can see through most of it and try to preserve my values through simran, listening to jap ji sahab, chaupai sahab, rehras sahab couple of times in a week. I do mediations and breathing exercises regularly. In all, everything is good but i feel i want to take it a new level now. I want to upgrade my lifestyle by having a stronger purpose in life with a stronger connection with god. (I have a different interpretation of god. God is person whom i can adore and follow. I do not who god is but i can relate to all the things Guru Nanak dev ji has preached. He has lived a life to explore all questions of this life and has passed on his learnings in form of Gurbani.)  

I would seek advice from this community and see what you think about my perspective here.  I will be grateful for your replies.

Veerji !

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa (Purity belongs to Waheguru)

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh (Victory belongs to Waheguru).

We are all on this journey of listening and adhering to principles of Hukam each, individual at various levels, ultimately trying to reach the same end point goal. Hukam which you know is wide spread topic on it its own.

Would suggest do what I did, try with keeping kesh and try without keeping kesh. Your inner voice will tell you. The Joth within you will speak and guide you - its very subtle.

Always keep at the forefront its not for me, somebody else or for purpose of doing good - everything is done because of Wahegurus playful way. As stated, the powerful greeting, Khalsa (purity) belongs to whaeguru not you, not me or any other person. Victory is also always Wahegurus, not yours, not mine, not any other person.

Wishing you much love and kirpa on this journey with Akaal Purkahs jot.

P.S. As a women there is significant difference between a man and a boy. Masculine features (including hair) on men are subconsciously  attractive to women !

On 11/22/2016 at 1:36 PM, ADSingh said:

Hello, SSA ji.

good to hear from you bhaisahaab...i too am from the IT industry, good to connect with another veer from the same background . I understand your dilemma and i too am going through this in a way , the difference is i come from a Hindu family background . We need to introspect and meditate . I quote this from the Japji Sahib time and again and am doing it again here.

Hukumae andar sab ko , Baahar Hukum na Koe

first step will be to end this 'i' within us , as explained by our veer in the earlier replies and then 'surrender' . This alone will take time , i am sure if we do this we will get our answer as to whether we are fit or not.

• 4 weeks later...
On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 0:38 PM, paapiman said:

Bro, if you want to take Amrit, you will have to keep kesh. Killing (Cutting) of Kesh is a cardinal sin in Sikhism.

Kesh are not a mere symbol only. They offer great benefits to the human body too.

Bhul chuk maaf

I agree with this comment.

Guru Ji did not give us the Kesh, Kada, Kangha, Kachera and Kirpan simply as symbols.

All these items have a purpose and to take Amrit and become a member of the Khalsa you must have all items, which may be bought or given to you by people. But you must also have a very unique mind set which can only be gained by God's grace.

Sorry if I offend anybody but I see so many people who look the part (sikh/khalsa) but wouldn't be able to fulfill the part when need be. I can imagine them saying "but what about my.........." what ever they think will not be without them(there egoism). 

I feel to be a true member of the Khalsa you must be able to give up everything for anything(right), even if that anything has nothing to do with them. There aren't many people like that in this world (l am not, nor do I pretend to be) that's why the world is the way it is.

WJKK WJKF

• 1 month later...

Isn't the modern cutting of kesh just a societal sheep following, perhaps something forced by Roman catholicism or christianity or something centuries ago.

Kesh seems to have been a normal part of a person in Ancient Bharat and even the historical British Kings and native americans seem to have it. so the no kesh argument just seems to be a nonsense from modern society, but not necessarily something progressive or beneficial. 

Maybe you need to look into other sampradaiye that sikhs have been following from the Gurus times, which may not emphasise keeping kesh? Udasi sikh perhaps? 

Does anyone know if all Nirmala sikhs keep kesh, seems to be though?

Edited by londondajatt
spelling mistakes

Bhai Sahib,

To take Amrit, the Paanj Pyarea had to give their heads - both physically and clean their "maat" and take the Guru's Maat.

In life you have to have a Guru and every Guru has his initiation requirements. If you want to have Guru Gobind Singh as your Guru you have to follow what he has asked you to do. Your writings are too full of "I" - your "maat" - pick and choose a kakar whereas the Guru requires total submission.

If you are not ready for submission thats fine, but please abstain from the thought of taking khande de pahul without kesh.

Best