Sri Hikayatan Sahib jee Series - Tale# 2

paapiman

Tradition goes that these hakayats were sent to Aurangzeb. The story is interesting in the sense that Aurangzeb came to power through his military might, whereas this hakayat alludes to people of wisdom being the true rulers. It could be a sense of saying that Dara Shikoh (Aurangzeb's brother) was to be the right ruler of India. I dont have the Persian text at hand but would be interested in knowing what words are used for some of the terminology in the above english translation. It talks about four brothers, and if I remember correctly - Aurangzeb had three brothers. Basically saying rulership is based on true wisdom and intelligence, not military force.

Edited by amardeep

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/02/2017 at 5:44 PM, amardeep said:

I dont have the Persian text at hand but would be interested in knowing what words are used for some of the terminology in the above english translation.

It would be a great help if you could add a link or maybe a scan of the Persian text. I am studying a little persian at the moment because of interaction with some persian speakers. I want to show them as well. See what they make of it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's uncanny but I'm sure I've heard this story in school from some christian priest.

The theme runs along the lines of "those who were given a lot, through unwise planning and poor thought ended up with nothing, whilst those given something very small, through hard work, dedication and wise thinking ended up with much more than they started."

On 2/13/2017 at 0:44 PM, amardeep said:

Tradition goes that these hakayats were sent to Aurangzeb. The story is interesting in the sense that Aurangzeb came to power through his military might, whereas this hakayat alludes to people of wisdom being the true rulers. It could be a sense of saying that Dara Shikoh (Aurangzeb's brother) was to be the right ruler of India.

Towards the end of the tale, it is mentioned that the other three brothers were banished from the territory. Even though, Shah Jahan did not banish any of his sons, but he kept Dara Shikoh close to him at Delhi. This should have given indication to the other sons that he preferred Dara to become the next emperor. Instead of supporting their elder brother, they revolted. It is very much possible that Sri Satguru jee was exposing Aurengzeb with this tale and also implying that you and your two brothers (who all revolted) deserved to be banished from the kingdom.

Bhul chuk maaf

Also the fourth son, who had only a seed, through his diligence and effort, managed to acquire what the others had lost, or not managed to maintain. I think that is a key point to it. The first three did not maintain the huge numbers of animals they were given, and ended up with nothing, whilst the fourth started with little but ended up with everything. The animals in themsleves represent wealth to me - daulat.

On 23/3/2017 at 11:42 PM, chatanga1 said:

Also the fourth son, who had only a seed, through his diligence and effort, managed to acquire what the others had lost, or not managed to maintain. I think that is a key point to it. The first three did not maintain the huge numbers of animals they were given, and ended up with nothing, whilst the fourth started with little but ended up with everything. The animals in themsleves represent wealth to me - daulat.

A possible warning to Aurangzeb that his empire will decay because he is not maintaining his empire - rather he is wasting the empire's ressoruces leading to it eventually collapsing? Which is also what happened- after Aurangzeb Mughal history is one of decay

19 hours ago, amardeep said:

A possible warning to Aurangzeb that his empire will decay because he is not maintaining his empire - rather he is wasting the empire's ressoruces leading to it eventually collapsing? Which is also what happened- after Aurangzeb Mughal history is one of decay

Seems to be also pointing towards unnecessary wars caused by his policies.

• 3 months later...
On 3/26/2017 at 2:47 AM, paapiman said:

There is a reference to Raja Daleep jee in Sri Akal Ustat Sahib jee.

ਮਾਨ ਸੇ ਮਹੀਪ ਔ ਦਿਲੀਪ ਕੈਸੇ ਛਤ੍ਰਧਾਰੀ ਬਛੋ ਅਭਿਮਾਨ ਭੁਜ ਦੰਡ ਕੋ ਕਰਤ ਹੈਂ ॥

Bhul chuk maaf

ਮਾਨ in the above verse refers to the great king Maandhatha. He was the father of Raja Daleep, who in the above Hikayat tests his four sons.

Bhul chuk maaf

13 hours ago, paapiman said:

ਮਾਨ in the above verse refers to the great king Maandhatha. He was the father of Raja Daleep, who in the above Hikayat tests his four sons.

Bhul chuk maaf

Are you sure these can be connected? From what i've read, the Akal Ustat was composed in the 1680s whereas the Hikayat is from mid 1690s.

7 hours ago, amardeep said:

Are you sure these can be connected? From what i've read, the Akal Ustat was composed in the 1680s whereas the Hikayat is from mid 1690s.

What do you mean? Maandhatha jee and Raja Daleep were ancient kings (well before Gurbani was recited). They are mentioned in Sri Bachitar Natak Granth too.

Bhul chuk maaf