Jog Ras (Joganand) - A Bodily Pleasure

Gyani Inderjit Singh jee Raqbewale talks about a technique used by Yogis to enjoy a bodily pleasure. This should not be confused with Naam Ras, which is way above this type of Ras.

Please start listening after 50:25 min:

http://www.gurmatveechar.com/audios/Katha/02_Present_Day_Katha/Sant_Giani_Inderjeet_Singh_(Raqbe_wale)/Sri_Gurpartap_Sooraj_Parkash_Katha/07_Sri_Guru_Har_Rai_Ji/Giani.Inderjeet.Singh.(Raqbe.wale)--Sooraj.Parkash.Katha.-.Ras.09.Adhyai.50.-.Gau.Jivai.Tasbi.Da.Chor.Moti.Dita.-.1996-04-02.mp3

Bhul chuk maaf

• 1 month later...

Kathakars commonly describe jog ras as something that is experienced only while the jogi is in deep meditation, but which disappears when the jogi leaves deep meditation. Naam ras, on the other hand, is experienced continuously b/c you can meditate as you do your worldly tasks. Although the degree of anand may change depending on how deeply you are able to focus on Naam. The higher up spiritually someone is, the more detached they are from the world, and therefore the greater their focus on Naam will be even while engaging in worlldly tasks. 

In the short clip below, Sant Gyani Jarnail Singh jee Khalsa Bhindranwale talks about another technique used by Yogis to enjoy a bodily pleasure. They refer to it as Brahamanand, but in reality, it is just a bodily pleasure.

Thanks to @Soulfinder for posting this in another topic.

Please start listening at 0:55 min:

Bhul chuk maaf

On 4/9/2017 at 3:42 AM, Lucky said:

Q. What's the difference between Naam ras and Jog ras?

On 4/9/2017 at 12:08 PM, Xylitol said:

Kathakars commonly describe jog ras as something that is experienced only while the jogi is in deep meditation, but which disappears when the jogi leaves deep meditation. Naam ras, on the other hand, is experienced continuously b/c you can meditate as you do your worldly tasks. Although the degree of anand may change depending on how deeply you are able to focus on Naam. The higher up spiritually someone is, the more detached they are from the world, and therefore the greater their focus on Naam will be even while engaging in worlldly tasks. 

Naam ras is pretty distinct and there are lots of gurbani references with mentions of 'nishanees' that make naam ras distinct.  For example, the akath katha is given to you when you drink the naam amrit ras.   The sevak learns that the jamdoots will not be taking them away because of the stage they have reached..... there are many more in addition to these.     Naam ras isn't quite a general term to describe 24hr anand state but a stage attained in bhagti when the seeker has practiced via gurmat. Nevertheless, there will be states of unexplained 24hr bairaag, prem and atam hukam as one consumes more and more naam ras.

I can't comment on jog ras or whether they attain the same naam ras avastha, because only Akaal purakh would know their intentions and whether they were doing it for pleasure or enlightenment. 

Just to add, I am not disagreeing with your post above but just elaborating with a little more information that I have since learned.

12 hours ago, sarabatam said:

Whats the difference atam ras and naam ras? 

Good question. I've looked into this myself some time ago.

Before I explain my understanding,  I want to mention that the above brief description of "naam ras" is my grasp of the term as per gurbani. It's not something made up willy nilly. Some of it has been confirmed with more experienced gurmukhs for purposes of reassurance.

18 hours ago, Lucky said:

Naam ras is pretty distinct and there are lots of gurbani references with mentions of 'nishanees' that make naam ras distinct.  For example, the akath katha is given to you when you drink the naam amrit ras.   The sevak learns that the jamdoots will not be taking them away because of the stage they have reached..... there are many more in addition to these.     Naam ras isn't quite a general term to describe 24hr anand state but a stage attained in bhagti when the seeker has practiced via gurmat. Nevertheless, there will be states of unexplained 24hr bairaag, prem and atam hukam as one consumes more and more naam ras.

I can't comment on jog ras or whether they attain the same naam ras avastha, because only Akaal purakh would know their intentions and whether they were doing it for pleasure or enlightenment. 

Just to add, I am not disagreeing with your post above but just elaborating with a little more information that I have since learned.

This naam ras/naam amrit is different from the initial ras that abyasee experiences with saas saas. That first one is a "physical taste", akin to approval from Waheguru confirming that bhaghti will bear fruit if continued in gurmat.

Most of my explanations like the one above, are from practice and learning directly from gurbani.  Simran, abyaas, self inspect, introspect, check with gurbani, confirm with gurbani and develop further. This is the approach that I now use.

Answering your question,...."Whats the difference atam ras and naam ras? "

In short, Naam ras is a major development stage filled with many levels and stages within itself.  There's explanations as per sukhsham sareer, physical sareer, yoga science, and more importantly; multiple nishanees of naam being pargat. One's physical perceptions will have changes, their subtle perceptions will have different changes, and on the other hand, more nadi channels will be opening and activating as the kundalini rises further.  Things like heart lotus opening(Hirda charan kamal), seeing the unseen with the hidden eyes, seeing brahm everywhere and much much more. It's as if your multiple body layers start awakening within themselves.

This stage of naam ras is ongoing in terms of development and rising and I don't know when or if it stops.

Atam ras on the other hand is AFTER Naam ras.  This is what i make from gurbani.

At Naam ras, one experiences and learns from a lot of akath katha(unspoken inner speech), whereas with ATAM RAS, one will be recieving brahmgyan and will attain brahmgyan avastha.

In gurbani, there are 3 main references for ATAM RAS that I've come across and I'm aware there are some in dasam granth and sarbloh granth. But I am sticking to gurbani for now because the sarbloh granth description goes on slight tangent or I just don't get it yet.

In gurbani,  1st is on ang 252

ਆਤਮ ਰਸੁ ਜਿਹ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗ ਸਹਜੇ ਮਾਣੁ ॥ 
Āṯam ras jih jāni▫ā har rang sėhje māṇ. 
One who knows the taste of the Lord's sublime essence, intuitively enjoys the Lord's Love. 

ਨਾਨਕ ਧਨਿ ਧਨਿ ਧੰਨਿ ਜਨ ਆਏ ਤੇ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥੧॥ 
Nānak ḏẖan ḏẖan ḏẖan jan ā▫e ṯe parvāṇ. ||1|| 
O Nanak, blessed, blessed, blessed are the Lord's humble servants; how fortunate is their coming into the world! ||1||

This is the ultimate prem and feeling of pure faith and hukam in heart. We may have only felt a 5-10% fraction of it and I reckon the absolute and utmost 100% could be the pure love when Guru Tegh Bahdaur ji, walks to shaheedi after Gobind Rai suggests Akaal purakhs hukam. s

In effect, at this stage, i would assume that atma is enshrined in the Paramatma and the gyan of brahm is known. "Tera kiya mithaah lagay" is at the absolute. If hukam tells premi to jump off mountain,  then there would be no hesitation and just pure love of 2 become 1....atma & paramatma become ONE.

2nd is on  ang1389 

ਗਾਵਹਿ ਇੰਦ੍ਰਾਦਿ ਭਗਤ ਪ੍ਰਹਿਲਾਦਿਕ ਆਤਮ ਰਸੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਜਾਣਿਓ ॥
Gāvahi inḏrāḏ bẖagaṯ par▫hilāḏik āṯam ras jin jāṇi▫o.
Indra and devotees like Prahlaad, who know the joy of the soul, sing of Him.

Very important to note that they are still "singing" of him, still ਗਾਵਹਿ, gurbani doesn't say that "they sang" whilst here. It says that they are singing NOW at the darbar of Nirankar.

3rd and last is from brahmgyanee ashthpadees sukhmani sahib...

ਆਤਮ ਰਸੁ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਚੀਨਾ ॥
Āṯam ras barahm gi▫ānī cẖīnā.
The God-conscious being knows the nature of the soul.

The brahmgyanees know the totality of the ocean (paramatma) and which droplet (atma) they are.

This is my limited explanation of Atam ras because i have no experience of it. Naam ras, I understand a little more,,.. But of course it's still narrow and limited as I face the continuous battles of maya like all of us .

I wont go into the sarbloh granth references of Atam ras. But it kind of implied that atam ras was prequisite for khalsa, wherea gurbani shows that atam ras->>brahmgyan. --->and brahmgyanee is above dharam(padaraths) and knows the the gyan of antarjami. Seeing as there is contradiction here, then I probably don't understand the depth somewhere, so can't comment further.

• 8 months later...
On 1/4/2018 at 10:31 AM, paapiman said:

In the short clip below, Sant Gyani Jarnail Singh jee Khalsa Bhindranwale talks about another technique used by Yogis to enjoy a bodily pleasure. They refer to it as Brahamanand, but in reality, it is just a bodily pleasure.

Thanks to @Soulfinder for posting this in another topic.

Please start listening at 0:55 min:

Bhul chuk maaf

Here is the mp3 veer ji.

Baba Jarnail Singh Khalsa Bhindranwale _ Types of Anand in Gurbani ( 128kbps ).mp3