Does attainment of Naam Daan ensure the path to moksha?

Dhan Shri Satnam Waheguru!

I am actually a Hindu living in Pakistan. But I felt that this question would be best answered by a Sikh rather than a Hindu because many Hindus do not seem to understand the significance of Naam Daan. I am actually a devotee of Shri Sain Satram Das Sahib of Raharki village. And I have noticed that the concept of union with God (moksha) in Sikhism and in Hinduism do not show any type of discrimination in the slightest bit to me. Everything that I have been taught by Sain Satram Das Sahib, I have seen that in Sikhism. And so I do not consider Hinduism separate from Sikhism Although, some people will disagree with me on this. But here in the villages of Pakistan, the relationship between Sikhs and Hindus is so loving, that one would not be able to tell if they follow separate religions. Hindus consider the ten Sikh Gurus as their own spiritual masters, and Sikhs here consider personalities like Sain Satram Das Sahib as their own spiritual master.

But this was just some knowledge I thought would be good to share as this is my first time posting on this forum and so I wanted to be friendly with you all. My real question actually is that if one attains Naam Daan from a Satguru, does it ensure that the devotee will always be on the path of oneness and that he will never go astray? And that he will never feel any absence or lack of faith and that any question that he has regarding God and spirituality will be answered in any way? Because recently I have had a lot of such questions and I thought that I will definitely get the answers to these questions after attaining Naam Daan. So is this true?

Your answer to this question will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for taking some time to read this! And please forgive me if I said anything foolish or offensive.

Veere, Nice to hear your story of closeness and love.  Vahiguru. God bless you. Vahiguru. In terms of after receiving naam, i feel that yes it ultimately leads to moksha and ultimate salvation regardless of circumstances. But this is a belief, that after receiving naam from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj that things will take care of themselves.... Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Vahiguru Ji ki fateh

14 hours ago, Pardeep01 said:

I am actually a Hindu living in Pakistan. But I felt that this question would be best answered by a Sikh rather than a Hindu because many Hindus do not seem to understand the significance of Naam Daan. I am actually a devotee of Shri Sain Satram Das Sahib of Raharki village. And I have noticed that the concept of union with God (moksha) in Sikhism and in Hinduism do not show any type of discrimination in the slightest bit to me. Everything that I have been taught by Sain Satram Das Sahib, I have seen that in Sikhism. And so I do not consider Hinduism separate from Sikhism Although, some people will disagree with me on this. But here in the villages of Pakistan, the relationship between Sikhs and Hindus is so loving, that one would not be able to tell if they follow separate religions. Hindus consider the ten Sikh Gurus as their own spiritual masters, and Sikhs here consider personalities like Sain Satram Das Sahib as their own spiritual master.

But this was just some knowledge I thought would be good to share as this is my first time posting on this forum and so I wanted to be friendly with you all. My real question actually is that if one attains Naam Daan from a Satguru, does it ensure that the devotee will always be on the path of oneness and that he will never go astray? And that he will never feel any absence or lack of faith and that any question that he has regarding God and spirituality will be answered in any way? Because recently I have had a lot of such questions and I thought that I will definitely get the answers to these questions after attaining Naam Daan. So is this true?

Your answer to this question will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for taking some time to read this! And please forgive me if I said anything foolish or offensive.

Welcome,

I don't intend to cause further confusion but Naam only comes as gurprasaad via Satguru / Waheguru.

I can only advise as per teachings of sikhi, for which our only Guru is Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

When Sikh is referring to naam, this comes by gurprasad and divine blessings, as one conducts their life as per gurbani.  For Sikhs, the complete gurbani scripture and even any part of the granth, is guru itself. (Bani guru, guru hai bani)

With reference to your main question,

My real question actually is that if one attains Naam Daan from a Satguru, does it ensure that the devotee will always be on the path of oneness and that he will never go astray? And that he will never feel any absence or lack of faith and that any question that he has regarding God and spirituality will be answered in any way? Because recently I have had a lot of such questions and I thought that I will definitely get the answers to these questions after attaining Naam Daan. So is this true?

The overall answer is NO. When one gets naam, then he can't just take a back seat and let the driving go autopilot.You have to be in the driving seat of your vehicle 24/7. The vehicle is your body.    A Sikh maintains his practice on a daily basis and is continuous with the discipline. This is why Sikhs have a rehit or code of conduct. Rehit involves a repeated daily discipline of naam jap, nitnem and commandments for lifestyle.    Therefore, to get your questions answered and to attain the path of mukhti, you have to maintain that daily rehit on a continuous basis.....repeating daily.

I cannot answer for any spiritual master that claims they can give you naam dhan.   If you have spiritual master /guide, then they can help show you the way with a mantar to help focus mind inwards towards God. In sikhi, we don't regard any human person as a Guru. Only the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is Living Guru for eternity.

By Naam Dhaan I think you mean you have been given a mantar. A mantar alone does not automatically give you automatic right of passage but is a tool that you must now use. You have to jap this mantar to awaken the mind so that it can hear the true Naam which is already inside of you. The mantar is used to keep you mind still and focused so it does not just wonder around aimlessly in thoughts or outside your body. As Lucky said it is a tool to make you draw your awareness inside the body and not escape through the nine opening of the body.

Having questions is normal and if you have access to a saint then go and see if you can get those questions answered so that you can progress with your bhagti with a clear conscience. 

On 22/03/2017 at 9:12 PM, Pardeep01 said:

I am actually a Hindu living in Pakistan.

It's good to hear from you, being a Hindu from Pakistan. I hope you'll tell more about yourself in the coming time.

On 22/03/2017 at 9:12 PM, Pardeep01 said:

My real question actually is that if one attains Naam Daan from a Satguru, does it ensure that the devotee will always be on the path of oneness and that he will never go astray? And that he will never feel any absence or lack of faith and that any question that he has regarding God and spirituality will be answered in any way? Because recently I have had a lot of such questions and I thought that I will definitely get the answers to these questions after attaining Naam Daan. So is this true?

From your question, I am reminded of the discourse between Guru Nanak and the Siddhs. The Siddhs had great naam kamai but they were not on the path of oneness that Guru Nanak Sahib envisaged, as they had forgot their religious duty.

Remember Naam Daan is daan just like any other daan. How many daans do we ask for in Ardas? Each has their own place.

On 3/23/2017 at 8:02 AM, dilavrsingh said:

Veere, Nice to hear your story of closeness and love.  Vahiguru. God bless you. Vahiguru. In terms of after receiving naam, i feel that yes it ultimately leads to moksha and ultimate salvation regardless of circumstances. But this is a belief, that after receiving naam from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj that things will take care of themselves.... Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Vahiguru Ji ki fateh

Thank you very much for showing love and support to me brother! As some gentlemen mentioned above that I most definitely will not progress on the spiritual path if I attain Naam and do not fulfil my duties. But I now know that attaining Naam will definitely guide me to the right path so that my mind can not just waddle here and there with infinite questions. Thank you very much brother for sharing with me your knowledge and thoughts brother! It really helps me in understanding the truth.

On 3/23/2017 at 11:21 AM, Lucky said:

Welcome,

I don't intend to cause further confusion but Naam only comes as gurprasaad via Satguru / Waheguru.

I can only advise as per teachings of sikhi, for which our only Guru is Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

When Sikh is referring to naam, this comes by gurprasad and divine blessings, as one conducts their life as per gurbani.  For Sikhs, the complete gurbani scripture and even any part of the granth, is guru itself. (Bani guru, guru hai bani)

With reference to your main question,

The overall answer is NO. When one gets naam, then he can't just take a back seat and let the driving go autopilot.You have to be in the driving seat of your vehicle 24/7. The vehicle is your body.    A Sikh maintains his practice on a daily basis and is continuous with the discipline. This is why Sikhs have a rehit or code of conduct. Rehit involves a repeated daily discipline of naam jap, nitnem and commandments for lifestyle.    Therefore, to get your questions answered and to attain the path of mukhti, you have to maintain that daily rehit on a continuous basis.....repeating daily.

I cannot answer for any spiritual master that claims they can give you naam dhan.   If you have spiritual master /guide, then they can help show you the way with a mantar to help focus mind inwards towards God. In sikhi, we don't regard any human person as a Guru. Only the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is Living Guru for eternity.

I understand. I will have duties to fulfil like meditating and chanting of hymns and I will happily try my best to fulfil these duties. I mainly had worries about questions that were in my mind which were acting as barriers to prevent me in progressing on the spiritual path. I understand now that after attaining Naam, if I want to progress and if I want these question to be answered, then I will have to fulfil these sacred duties. Thank you very much for helping me with this question brother! Your answer will definitely aid me in my journey!

On 3/23/2017 at 0:25 PM, Sat1176 said:

By Naam Dhaan I think you mean you have been given a mantar. A mantar alone does not automatically give you automatic right of passage but is a tool that you must now use. You have to jap this mantar to awaken the mind so that it can hear the true Naam which is already inside of you. The mantar is used to keep you mind still and focused so it does not just wonder around aimlessly in thoughts or outside your body. As Lucky said it is a tool to make you draw your awareness inside the body and not escape through the nine opening of the body.

Having questions is normal and if you have access to a saint then go and see if you can get those questions answered so that you can progress with your bhagti with a clear conscience. 

This is exactly what I needed help with. My mind has been needlessly wandering here and there contaminated with questions that I desperately need answers for. Actually the thing is that like Guru Nanak Dev Ji, Sain Satram Das Sahib has also physically died but is spiritually present everywhere and in everyone. I wanted to know if Naam Daan will help me to connect with Satguru Ji and if it will help me in showing the right path so that I can progress with faith and trust in God. And it seems so but only if I meditate, chant hymns and fulfil my duties. Thank you very much for taking your time and explaining to me regarding this topic brother! This will definitely help me in my progress!

On 3/23/2017 at 10:16 PM, das said:

As both Lucky and Sat have already mentioned that you cannot take a backseat after getting the naam.

* Guru can give you the spark, but it is YOU who needs to work on that. There's no way around it.
* There is a big possibility that you could go astray but Guru is there to contain that and may bring you back on path if you've karma is good enough. Or through Kirpa.
* Your faith WILL be tested by environments/circumstances, so be prepared for it.

FAITH should be like this; only then you can succeed:

Let's say, I'm going to jump from a mountain without any fear; because I know that only 2 things can happen:

* Either Guru will place his hand under feet and won't let me suffer; or

* Or He will give me wings and I could fly.

There is NO 3rd option.

From my personal experience, one can attempt the above but some times, the circumstances are such that you question; and that's the time, you loose. But Guru is great, as he won't leave you alone.

Now, above is the example and in no-way asking anyone to try jumping from mountain.

----------------

Many Saints have mentioned that Faith is more important than the Puran Guru. Puran Guru cannot do anything, if the student doesn't believe Him.

Very nice explanation brother! It is very difficult, especially for me as I am still young and naive to have that strong of a faith in Satguru Ji and that is the reason why I posted here so that I can gain some knowledge to progress in the spiritual path. I will definitely try my best to do naam jaap and chant gurbani and shabd as it also brings peace to the mind while helping the soul to progress. Thank you very much in sharing this priceless knowledge with me brother! This will definitely aid me in the future!

On 3/24/2017 at 3:31 AM, chatanga1 said:

It's good to hear from you, being a Hindu from Pakistan. I hope you'll tell more about yourself in the coming time.

From your question, I am reminded of the discourse between Guru Nanak and the Siddhs. The Siddhs had great naam kamai but they were not on the path of oneness that Guru Nanak Sahib envisaged, as they had forgot their religious duty.

Remember Naam Daan is daan just like any other daan. How many daans do we ask for in Ardas? Each has their own place.

Definitely! I need to understand that I will not just succeed by doing nothing. I need to meditate and have full faith in God if I wish to progress. I will try my best to fulfil my spiritual duties and to gain knowledge to walk on the path of Oneness. I also hope that I can engage with this community more. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge with me brother! It's really wonderful how you all have tried to help me with this topic!

I really am lacking words to express my gratitude because not everyone nowadays is willing to help a fellow brother in distress. Please pray for me that I may progress on the spiritual path and that I have full faith in God. Thank you all again for helping me! God bless all of you! Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh!