Havan (Fire Ritual) Maryada

13 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

Bro do you think Sikhs had Havan at the time of Anand Kaaraj in the past, i.e. do you think they walked around the holy fire instead of SGGS?

Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev jee Maharaaj had rejected this ritual of parikarma around the fire before his marriage, as Agni dev is not our Isht dev. Instead, Maharaaj wrote down the Mool mantar on a piece of paper, placed it on a seat and then did parikarma with Mata Sulakhni jee. 

Most likely, Sehajdhari Sikhs of the past used fire for parikaram.

Bhul chuk maaf 

12 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

I see what you mean here. I have heard that mentioned in Katha before. But I'm thinking on a practical level too - in the days of old there were not hundreds of Saroops in circulation, and before that it would have been inefficient for the masses to do Laavan around the human form of Guru Sahiban. The only option would have been fire as it was both familiar to majority of Sikhs and symbolically makes sense - the fire is Parmaatma and the bride and groom make rounds, symbolising making a promise by circumambulating, around the symbolic Parmaatma that they will work together to merge with Him.

Well, Sikhs could have written Gurbani on a piece of paper and circumambulated around it.

Anyways, you have brought up good points which need to be researched.

Bhul chuk maaf

6 hours ago, paapiman said:

Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev jee Maharaaj had rejected this ritual of parikarma around the fire before his marriage, as Agni dev is not our Isht dev. Instead, Maharaaj wrote down the Mool mantar on a piece of paper, placed it on a seat and then did parikarma with Mata Sulakhni jee. 

Most likely, Sehajdhari Sikhs of the past used fire for parikaram.

Bhul chuk maaf 

Yeah I've heard this sakhi many times before. How historically accurate is it though? My thinking is this: If Guru Nanak Dev Ji had rejected such a big ceremony of the time, surely they would have created an alternative at the time. Logically speaking, it wouldn't have made sense for people to wait until 4th Guru Sahib to compose and solidify the actual ceremony which was to be followed?

You say Sehajdhari Sikhs most likely continued to use fire, do you mean the whole Vedic ceremony? Or a modified version of it?

After the Laavan were written, did whole Sikh Qaum flock to see Guru Sahib to have their Anand Kaaraj done? I'm thinking about the logistics here.

6 hours ago, paapiman said:

Well, Sikhs could have written Gurbani on a piece of paper and circumambulated around it.

Anyways, you have brought up good points which need to be researched.

Bhul chuk maaf

True it's possible, but given the level of Satkaar people would have had for Gurbani in those days (compared to now), I doubt they would be going around writing it on pieces of paper. It's hard to look after one sheet of paper, let alone one that has Gurbani on it. More so given the conditions at the time.

Do you know any Namdharis? They might be able to provide some insight.

28 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

Yeah I've heard this sakhi many times before. How historically accurate is it though? My thinking is this: If Guru Nanak Dev Ji had rejected such a big ceremony of the time, surely they would have created an alternative at the time. Logically speaking, it wouldn't have made sense for people to wait until 4th Guru Sahib to compose and solidify the actual ceremony which was to be followed?

You say Sehajdhari Sikhs most likely continued to use fire, do you mean the whole Vedic ceremony? Or a modified version of it?

After the Laavan were written, did whole Sikh Qaum flock to see Guru Sahib to have their Anand Kaaraj done? I'm thinking about the logistics here.

True it's possible, but given the level of Satkaar people would have had for Gurbani in those days (compared to now), I doubt they would be going around writing it on pieces of paper. It's hard to look after one sheet of paper, let alone one that has Gurbani on it. More so given the conditions at the time.

Do you know any Namdharis? They might be able to provide some insight.

Daas needs to do more research in this matter.

Gurparsaad, will get back to you with more details.

Bhul chuk maaf

On 12/13/2017 at 8:54 AM, paapiman said:

Daas needs to do more research in this matter.

Gurparsaad, will get back to you with more details.

Bhul chuk maaf

On this topic, the only way to understand it is get back to scratch on the drawing board. From there, learn what the 5 element are, what they mean  what the significance is for FIRE, with regards to creation, sustenance, destruction .

When you understand this, then you will understand the significance of all the different rituals for different faiths.  Hopefully, you may understand wht the "real' significance and purpose in spiritual development "havan" is or not.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/5/2017 at 10:42 PM, paapiman said:

Namdharis claim that Havan is done to purify the elements. Can someone please go into more details about this maryada?

Thanks

Bhul chuk maaf

That is indeed true. 

https://www.speakingtree.in/blog/havan-for-cleansing-the-environment 

I also read that in the mahabharat text a long while ago. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2017 at 3:06 AM, Akali_Akal_Singh said:

Sant Jagjit Singh ji Harkhowal Wale have defined the meaning of havan as the awakening of gyan and destruction of avashnas.

sorry akali jee but your knowledge on havan was very limited please read ਭਾਨੂ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸ਼ by sant jagjit singh ji harkhowal he has written about havan and bani recited during havan