I want to become a Sikh but I am afraid..

H_Khan

Hello I wanted to know & get some advice as I do not have many Sikh friends in person & most of them are 'not' practicing Sikhs (not to be judgemental). I would like to become a Sikh from the heart, but I'm afraid of my family finding out & being disowned. The friends & others I know, people will start hating & judging me of my current faith. I don't hate any religion, but I admire Sikhism lot & I can relate to the the Gurus. I love the fact Sikhs wear kirapan in the name of self defense & to protect others (regardless of their race, religion or color). To me Sikhism is the light.. Baba Guru Nanak Ji's message was for people of all faith. I also feel that Sikhism teaches others to be true to their faith whether they are a Hindu, Christian, Muslim or whatever their faith is.. I'm not afraid of wearing a turban, and I know will get called names or be treated differently. At his point what should I do? Please help me or any advice would help.. Thank u ji, ??

5 hours ago, H_Khan said:

Hello I wanted to know & get some advice as I do not have many Sikh friends in person & most of them are 'not' practicing Sikhs (not to be judgemental). I would like to become a Sikh from the heart, but I'm afraid of my family finding out & being disowned. The friends & others I know, people will start hating & judging me of my current faith. I don't hate any religion, but I admire Sikhism lot & I can relate to the the Gurus. I love the fact Sikhs wear kirapan in the name of self defense & to protect others (regardless of their race, religion or color). To me Sikhism is the light.. Baba Guru Nanak Ji's message was for people of all faith. I also feel that Sikhism teaches others to be true to their faith whether they are a Hindu, Christian, Muslim or whatever their faith is.. I'm not afraid of wearing a turban, and I know will get called names or be treated differently. At his point what should I do? Please help me or any advice would help.. Thank u ji, ??

Bro, how long has it been that you wanted to become a Sikh?

Can you understand Punjabi? Where do you live? England?

Bhul chuk maaf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, salymn said:

What is a Nanak Shahi sikh or a murid? Is it anything to do with sikhi at all? Never heard of these before.

It's a term historically used for "muslim" followers of the Gurus. Ie people who were in a cross over from Islam to Sikhism. Many stayed in the cross over stage for generations untill they finally 'converted'.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/08/2017 at 7:15 PM, amardeep said:

After partition of India i think these cross overs dissapeared in India. They converted fully and stayed in India or went to Pakistan and became muslims...

what about Bhai Mardana's descendants and other punjabi muslims who visit gurdwaras in Pakistan?

These peple after partition went to Pakistan. But there, there were no more functioning Gurdwaras that required their musical skills, so they left the profession to work in other places. The bare minority that did keep some kind of their musical heritage up weren't that good in terms of playing raag vidya and kirtan. Because it was a dying tradition and the Sikhs weren't coming back they turned to other ways to make a living.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2017 at 11:15 AM, amardeep said:

After partition of India i think these cross overs dissapeared in India. They converted fully and stayed in India or went to Pakistan and became muslims...

That is true. My Massi's in-laws entire pind+extended Clans was Muslim before. Before Partition, they had a bit of veneration for the Gurus. But during Partition, They had to choose between the two. They had fully converted to Sikhism, albeit, they kept some Bist Doabi muslim traditions and traits going. Same with Muslims or new Sikhs, in the Shahkot-Massiah area of Jalandhar. 

4 hours ago, sheetaljot said:

They can't because they are circumsiced from the beginning. Sikhism does not accept circumsicion.

Muslims can convert to Sikhism. Circumcision cannot stop them from converting. Majority of the Muslims are circumcised before they become teens. One cannot blame them for this act.

Bhul chuk maaf