Is there difference between Simran and Jaap ?

@Sat1176@Lucky@HisServant@tva prasad

from experienced practitioners, I wanted to know what is the difference between Jaap & Simran.

I understand Jaap as reciting with tongues. That is easy to get . But what is Simran ?  When does the stage of simran come ?

I ask because I read Gurbani panktis like Prabh ke simran gyan dhyan tat budh....  with Prabhus simran you get gyan, dhyan, tat budh.  I want these qualities in me. So will the waheguru jap be sufficient or do i have to wait till jaap becomes simran.

Also there is jap man satnam..o mind recite satnam

jeh har simran bhya ...where the simran takes place

so aisa har dhyayiye mere jeeare...  do dhyan of that hari

Also, I want to know that I have been doing waheguru japa 1hr am and in pm, out loud, following the saas giraas technique, since last week. At the moment, its extreme difficult to get the mind to listen to japa. How long do you guys think it will take before the mind settles a lil bit, months, years or next lifetimes ?

Thanks!

Just now, Ragmaala said:

@Sat1176@Lucky@HisServant@tva prasad

from experienced practitioners, I wanted to know what is the difference between Jaap & Simran.

I understand Jaap as reciting with tongues. That is easy to get . But what is Simran ?  When does the stage of simran come ?

I ask because I read Gurbani panktis like Prabh ke simran gyan dhyan tat budh....  with Prabhus simran you get gyan, dhyan, tat budh.  I want these qualities in me. So will the waheguru jap be sufficient or do i have to wait till jaap becomes simran.

Also there is jap man satnam..o mind recite satnam

jeh har simran bhya ...where the simran takes place

so aisa har dhyayiye mere jeeare...  do dhyan of that hari

Also, I want to know that I have been doing waheguru japa 1hr am and in pm, out loud, following the saas giraas technique, since last week. At the moment, its extreme difficult to get the mind to listen to japa. How long do you guys think it will take before the mind settles a lil bit, months, years or next lifetimes ?

Thanks!

I think simran is remembering god; thinking about him. Simran can be translated to meditation (i.e. thinking deeply about something).

I heard in giani Thakur Singh ji's Katha that sants, etc. sit at night for 10-15 mins before jaap and observe their mind. Then they begin jaap. U can try doing that to still ur mind.

I think the amount of time it will take u to still ur mind comes down to the amount of love, determination and motivation you have inside u. I would personally advise u to stay away from watching bad things on tv such as: movies, tv serial, etc. News r fine but listen to Katha and kirtan to keep yourself motivated and determined. Just listen to the gurmantar as u recite it, filtering all the bad thoughts by focusing on the shabad. If u get bad thoughts don't follow them just let them pass.

On 2017-05-04 at 3:42 AM, Lucky said:

Simran comes from the Sanskrit "simrana" which means- 'act of remembrance', 'to remember continuosly'

In Punjabi, we refer to "simran" as a practice where we are dhyia' ing  the Ek Akaal purakh. When we use gurmantar or other mantar like har har or ram, then we are using the technique of japa yoga. This is "jaap" 

Jaap comes under the umbrella of simran, but it is just one technique that's used to get started.  Then comes shabad and meditating on shabad/naad, which is practice of nada yoga. Then we have rom rom, and following this; are some advanced techniques using nada, rom rom and surti to successfully leave/or enter, via the dasam. All of these come under the same umbrella of simran and us trying to "Si-Mar"  (Mar= to die, si-mar is to die in the shabad by doing simrana)

Thanks! that makes a lot of sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just watching a video and this question about stage of simran was explained.

A state comes when doing japa when the mantra merges with the breath. Then like you breath without being consciously aware at times the same happens with the mantra since it is linked with the breath. This is called Ajapa jaap and is also known as the stage of simran. It's going on automatically in the background.

• 3 years later...
Guest Sikhism followere

Im chanting waheguru waheguru during jogging  it keeps me alert And i dont just say it , i feel the words from bottom of my nabhi.stomach. 

As far as i know, simran is yaad karna

Remember gurunanank in everything you do. To beleive that he is with me always .now and then