Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
paapiman

ਅਸਪਤਿ - The 7-Faced Horse

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

ਅਸਪਤਿ can also mean the Lord of the Horses ie Surya Dev.

What context did you hear/read this word in?

Why is Surya devta refereed to as the Lord of the horses? Are you aware of the abstract idea associated with this figure?

The word is used in Gurbani (Raag Tilang).

 

Bhul chuk maaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2017 at 1:55 PM, chatanga1 said:

Also the chariot of Surya Dev is said to be pulled by a horse.

Surya dev was given the Uchsarva horse, which was one of the 14 rattans*. Maybe that's why he is called the lord of the horses.

 * - These rattans were obtained when the demons and the demi-Gods churned the Mandrachal parbhat.

 

Bhul chuk maaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2017 at 11:26 AM, paapiman said:

Can someone please provide more information on ਅਸਪਤਿ?

Also, if someone can provide the abstract ideas/Anthriv Arths associated with it, that would be great

Thanks a lot

 

Bhul chuk maaf

As chatanga ji has said before, Surya Dev has seven horses that pull his chariot, they represent 7 days of the week. From a more spiritual perspective they represent the seven main chakras that are present within our body. Surya Dev also has two sons the Ashwins, they are two twin gods (one is the personification of the sunset, while other the sunrise), they are gods of medicine, curing disease, etc. For these reasons Surya Dev is called ਅਸਪਤਿ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, paapiman said:

Brilliant bro. Where did you read about this connection?

 

Bhul chuk maaf

It's rather interesting how the ancient Indian sages said that the sun moves around the earth, whereas modern science concludes that we move around the sun, I guess I'll have to do some research. Do you have any knowledge on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Another discovery which made NASA spell bound was that way back when discovring about whether sun is moving or earth. And they reached a conclusion that sun is stationary and all others planets are revolving around it. But Guru Nanak Dev ji 500 years back in Asa ji di Var said: "Bhey Wich pavan vahe as waho...Bhey wich chand,Bhey wich suraj." (Meaning : in the fear of godall the things are moving from air, water to moon to sun). Now in recent discovry NASA also accepted that sun is also moving leading to eclipses."

https://www.speakingtree.in/blog/guru-granth-sahib-at-nasa

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@paapiman Uchchaihshravas is the 7-headed horse. So he is ਅਸਪਤਿ, krishan ji in bhagwat gita said that Uchchaihravas is the best of horses. 

 

  1. I am Vishnu among the sons of Aditi, 
    I am the radiant sun among the luminaries, 
    I am Marici among the gods of wind, 
    I am the moon among the stars.

     


  2. I am the Sama Veda among the Vedas; 
    I am Indra among the Devas; 
    I am the mind among the senses; 
    I am the consciousness in living beings.

     


  3. I am Shiva among the Rudras; 
    Kubera among the Yakshas and demons; 
    I am the fire among the Vasus; 
    And I am Meru among the mountain peaks.

     


  4. Among the priests, O Arjuna, 
    Know Me to be the chief, Brihaspati.
    Among the army generals, I am Skanda; 
    I am the ocean among the bodies of water.

     


  5. I am Bhrigu among the great sages; 
    I am the monosyllable OM among the words; 
    I am Japa among the Yajna; 
    And I am the Himalaya among the immovables.

     


  6. I am the Peepal tree among the trees, 
    Narada among the sages,
    Chitraaratha among the Gandharvas, 
    And sage Kapila among the Siddhas.

     


  7. Know Me as Uchchaihshrava, 
    Born at the time of churning the ocean
    for getting the nectar, among the horses; 

    Airaavata among the elephants; 
    And the King among men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ਅਸਪਤਿ means, "lord of horses", just like Ram Chander ji was called purushottam- meaning "best among men", Uchchaihshravas is best among horses hence, ਅਸਪਤਿ. 

So, in reality, that title does not have so much to do with Surya Dev as Uchchaihshrava. In olden times kings who possessed fine horses, like the king of Kekeya would be called "ashwapati", the original word from where ਅਸਪਤਿ came. 

"Uccaiḥ-śravas [from uccaiḥ aloft, high above + śravas ear] Long-eared, he who hears what is above, one having spiritual or inner hearing; the white horse of Indra, one of the 14 precious things that issued from the waters churned by the gods in Hindu legend, regarded as the prototype and king of horses. In this connection one is reminded of the many statues of the buddhas with pendant ears, symbolizing a spiritual power—he who hears the cries of all.

https://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/uccaihshravas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 8:14 PM, tva prasad said:

It's rather interesting how the ancient Indian sages said that the sun moves around the earth, whereas modern science concludes that we move around the sun, I guess I'll have to do some research. Do you have any knowledge on this?

The names of the horses sound feminine. Are they mares?

The demi-God Arun (the planet Uranus) is the charioteer of Sun. That's interesting. Any idea, what would that imply?

 

Bhul chuk maaf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2018 at 2:22 AM, tva prasad said:

@paapiman Uchchaihshravas is the 7-headed horse. So he is ਅਸਪਤਿ, krishan ji in bhagwat gita said that Uchchaihravas is the best of horses. 

 

  1. I am Vishnu among the sons of Aditi, 
    I am the radiant sun among the luminaries, 
    I am Marici among the gods of wind, 
    I am the moon among the stars.

     


  2. I am the Sama Veda among the Vedas; 
    I am Indra among the Devas; 
    I am the mind among the senses; 
    I am the consciousness in living beings.

     


  3. I am Shiva among the Rudras; 
    Kubera among the Yakshas and demons; 
    I am the fire among the Vasus; 
    And I am Meru among the mountain peaks.

     


  4. Among the priests, O Arjuna, 
    Know Me to be the chief, Brihaspati.
    Among the army generals, I am Skanda; 
    I am the ocean among the bodies of water.

     


  5. I am Bhrigu among the great sages; 
    I am the monosyllable OM among the words; 
    I am Japa among the Yajna; 
    And I am the Himalaya among the immovables.

     


  6. I am the Peepal tree among the trees, 
    Narada among the sages,
    Chitraaratha among the Gandharvas, 
    And sage Kapila among the Siddhas.

     


  7. Know Me as Uchchaihshrava, 
    Born at the time of churning the ocean
    for getting the nectar, among the horses; 

    Airaavata among the elephants; 
    And the King among men.

Thanks for sharing the above info.

What's the source of this info?

Thanks

 

Bhul chuk maaf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paapiman said:

The names of the horses sound feminine. Are they mares?

The demi-God Arun (the planet Uranus) is the charioteer of Sun. That's interesting. Any idea, what would that imply?

 

Bhul chuk maaf

 

Yeah, they do indeed sound feminine. I'm not 100% sure if they are mares, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surya

Quote

The seven horses are named after the seven meters of Sanskrit prosody: Gayatri, Brihati, Ushnih, Jagati, Trishtubha, Anushtubha and Pankti.

This site, https://www.speakingtree.in/allslides/why-7-horses-for-the-chariot-of-sun/40234 has some interesting information of surya dev and his horses. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aruṇa 

According to wikipedia, Arun is the "personification of the reddish glow light of the rising Sun"

http://www.apamnapat.com/entities/Aruna.html 

Quote

 

The story of how he became Surya's charioteer is mentioned in [Maha:1.24]. When Surya was swallowed and then regurgitated by Rahu, in revenge for the incident of the nectar, he grew exceedingly angry with the other immortals, for they had suffered him to undergo this indignity. He thought, 'Since no one came to my aid, what is the use of their existence? Let me destroy all creation with my great heat.' Then he started multiplying his radiance, and the generated heat threatened to burn the world. The Devas beseeched Lord Brahma to save the world.

Lord Brahma said, "I shall place Aruna, the son of Kashyapa and Vinata in front of Surya. He is of large body and has divine radiance. He will become the charioteer of Surya and shield the world from his anger."

 

 

51 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Thanks for sharing the above info.

What's the source of this info?

Thanks

 

Bhul chuk maaf

http://www.santosha.com/philosophy/gita-chapter10.html

No, problem brother, happy to share. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...