should I enroll my son at the Akal Academy?

Rosebud

I am a single mother from Ontario who had just been accepted into a four year bachelor of science Nursing degree program that starts next June  and I was wondering if I should let my 7 year old son enroll in the Akal Academy at Baru Sahib next year? His best friend is a Sikh (my son is of christian background) of the same age and his parents plan to enroll him next year and my son wants to join him. Any suggestions?

If you are okay with him living a Sikh way of life and standing by his principles which may be very different to what you have living with and also if he is comfortable going to another country where the culture is very different it would be easy for him to accept that way of life then it would be okay. 

Has he stayed away from you as in you would meet say like once or twice a year? There are a number of factors to be considered.

On 1/7/2018 at 5:32 AM, Rosebud said:

I am a single mother from Ontario who had just been accepted into a four year bachelor of science Nursing degree program that starts next June  and I was wondering if I should let my 7 year old son enroll in the Akal Academy at Baru Sahib next year? His best friend is a Sikh (my son is of christian background) of the same age and his parents plan to enroll him next year and my son wants to join him. Any suggestions?

Hello Rosebud. Welcome to the forum. JFYI, the Root admin of this forum is also based in Canada.

Are you fine with your son becoming a Sikh in the future? If he stays at Baru Sahib for a good period of time (and taking his age into consideration), he might start liking the Sikh way of life and then decide to convert to Sikhism.

Are you willing to live away from him for extended periods of time?

Bhul chuk maaf

I plan to take my son to India in Mid-February along with my son’s best friend and his parents, so both can write the entrance exam to get into Baru Sahib Akal Academy. My son’s teachers told me is a bright child who gets along well with others and excels in his school work, so I am highly confident he will be accepted into the academy. My son knows that he will be away for me for large amounts of time and I will only be able to see him a few times a year and he said to me he can take it. However, I will keep in touch with him on a regular basis by phone, skype, and email.

There are three reasons why I am enrolling my son at the Akal Academy Baru Sahib

1)      Being a full-time student for four years and juggling the duties of being a parent is stressful for me since I have a learning disability and having my son at a boarding school will benefit me because I get to only concentrate on my nursing education and it would benefit my son because he will be in a nurturing educational environment that places emphasis on educational success.

2)      His best friend is also enrolling at the same time and I want to preserve their relationship by enrolling my son at the school.

3)      I want my son to be exposed to other cultures.

I know there is always a chance my son could fall in love with Sikhism and decide to embrace it, but if he chooses to embrace Sikhism at the school; I will give the school permission to let him take Amrit Sanchar if he chooses to do so because I love my son and will respect his life's choices as long as it helps him grow up to be a responsible adult.