Nidar Singh Nihang's translation of Charitro Pakhyan is out

7 hours ago, Singh123456777 said:

He lost the plot when he put a naked girl on the cover page. It just insinuating that charitars are all about sex. 

Also in the blurb, it says " Exotic Sikh Tales of Erotica, " and that just gives totally the wrong impression of the work. It is not meant for either erotica or can be labelled as exotic.  By doing this the guy is just unravelling all the hard work that others do, just to make a buck or two.

I have put such a comment in the email link provided on that page but I know that neither Niddar or Amardeep, co-author (not admin amardeep) will reply.

2 hours ago, sikhni777 said:

Maybe you can write a book and sell It for £30. 

Now that's an idea. I could make a kindle and sell it for 99p. That would be easier. Very very low production and distribution costs. I'm going to look into that.

1 hour ago, paapiman said:

How do I do that? Can I read any book on Kindle unlimited for free?

yes if you go on amazon, there are loads of Sikh books for free. You can download these to ipads and phones and such.

16 minutes ago, paapiman said:

He can definitely write a book, but he probably has a big heart and might give those books out to Sangat for free.

Theres always hope...

The most wondrous tale of deception of all, relating the endeavour of the humble dust-like human spirit seeking to attain onto Mahakal/Brahm, is found in the final charitter 405. Upon its conclusion, the Guru pens the most beautiful of prayers to which justice cannot be done in any translation. Penned, it is said in the thick of battle by the Guru on making an arrow tip his quill and his own blood the ink, it has the most magical of effects upon one’s mind, heart and soul. It is a decidedly heartfelt and exquisite plea to the supreme deity Brahm/Mahakal to protect the Guru and his Sikhs from their evil enemies who sought their very annihilation. This supplication, the Benti Chaupai, encapsulates the very spiritual essence of sikhi; the absolute unstinting belief in nirguna transcendental Brahm. If any Sikh has doubts with regards to Pakhyaan Charitter, let them, on considering the exquisite nature of this final prayer, reflect how the rest of the work can be so poor if its ending is as such. Beautiful as the Benti Chaupai is, so is the poetry of the rest of the Pakhyaan Charitter. On concluding this prayer Guru Gobind Singh lays out the benefits of listening to and reflecting upon the Pakhyaan Charitter:"

Taken directly from the book's

4 minutes ago, Singh123456777 said:

So this book is already out?

does it ship to Canada?

Yes it is out. Available on kindle. I downloaded the app to my android and once I purchased it ,downloaded immediately, didn't take long.

https://pakhyaancharitter.com

It is only online, however I have heard once the 8 volumes are released, there might be hard copies. However who knows how long.

12 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

How does this 30 day trial work?

Sign up for it. You will have to provide credit card info. One can access over a million titles. The membership will continue until cancelled.

Your Kindle Unlimited membership continues until canceled. If you do not wish to continue for $9.99/month + any taxes, you may cancel anytime at www.amazon.com/kucentral.

Unquote

Bhul chuk maaf

My review.

Pakhyaan charitter was written by Guru Gobind Singh, it is very controversial in Sikh groups. Many revisionist Sikhs/Sikhs of cult of personalities like to refute the association of "Pakhyaan Charitter" with Guru Gobind Singh due to some of explicit tales...this is very pathetic! as sikhi & the truth should not fall down to your personal ideal perception of what it sikhi should be... 
Regarding the book: 
the book gives background information regarding who Nidar Singh Nihang is, what he represents IE the 9th  Gurdev(teacher) of the Baba Darbara Singh Shastar vidiya akhara.

The preface and introduction is filled with vast amounts of wisdom. It gives a lot of background information that the reader would not usually know. The footnotes were amazing, you must read the footnote along with the charitter to fully understand, as there may be words you might not be familiar with. 

Nidar Singh gives detail about Dasam Granth. He also mentions all past attempts at translating this text and the names of authors & year they published their works. However it must be noted all past attempts had failures, for example 
Pritpal Singh's 2002 translation. Pritpal Singh did not believe Pakhyaan Charitter was written by guru gobind singhji, so in this manner, pritpal Singh did not do justice to the translation as his own bias came into play & made his work flawed.

Nidar Singh also mentions key points regarding the stories, how names and details appear only at the end, or during the middle of the story. He writes the names of characters at the beginning of each charitter and makes it much easier to read/ understand. 

The book covers all aspects of sikhi, it's history, the way Sikhs of those times perceived themselves, philosophy, spirituality and much more. It would be a tragic loss if readers did not take up the opportunity to read the charitters in their true context and understand the true reason why the 10th guru penned this work.

The charitters are very well written, I found it very addictive, wanting to read on and on! 
There are many beautiful images, I think one image for every charitter, the paintings are of very high quality. Attention to detail & painted in the style/clothing of the times it was first penned. 

Nidar Singh Nihang gives great analysis into the charitters and makes some very crucial valid points. After reading the first volume I am somewhat puzzled...the charitters have come to life in my mind and in the reality of the times we live in "kaljug", with each story I can honestly say this kind of deception/deceptive tactics exist in 2018, I will argue even more than when it was written. Only because technology has evolved and we have a lot more ways to hide things we dont want others finding out. I am certain many of us can relate to these charitters. 

Nidar Singh Nihang should be commended for this first volume. It is truly ground-breaking work. It is very obvious a lot of time &  research went into this. 

Lastly, I will share a relevant extract . "For some living a lie is a better option than facing life crushing truth. In fact, most people, especially the overtly religious, prefer to live a life of self-delusion."

@amardeep @Crystal @chatanga1

• Introduction to the book has some good info.
  • Analysis (Reflections) is not that great. Chatanga b and Amardeep b can team up and produce better reflections.
  • He could have given more real life examples, which would have made the book more interesting. In one of the Charitar reflections, he mentions that he has encountered stupidity in men, but does not provide any examples.
  • He could have related the Charitars with Ad Gurbani.
  • Sexually explicit images were not really needed as these tales are meant for wise intellectual people, who (almost all) know how sex is performed. Furthermore, one of the main motives of these Charitars is to understand how deception is played out, not how sex is performed.
  • More than 2000 pages for the glossary and the footnotes, which is great. This might turn out to be the best part of the book.
  • IMHO, a bit expensive (approx. $40*) for a kindle. We need to remember that this is only first of the eight volumes. If he keeps the same price for the other seven volumes, the total cost would be close to $320, which is kind of expensive (given his analysis). 
  • Daas might not buy it.

* - CAD

Bhul chuk maaf

• 4 months later...
On 1/15/2018 at 9:33 PM, Singh123456777 said:

He lost the plot when he put a naked girl on the cover page. It just insinuating that charitars are all about sex. 

The choice of the picture was probably unwise, but the title is excellent.

Pakhyaan Charitter: Instructions With Regards To Deceptive Characters: Exotic Sikh Tales of Erotica, Cunning, Humour, Love, Valour, Vice, Virtue, Magic, Wisdom, and Spirituality 

Bhul chuk maaf

1 hour ago, paapiman said:

Pakhyaan Charitter: Instructions With Regards To Deceptive Characters: Exotic Sikh Tales of Erotica, Cunning, Humour, Love, Valour, Vice, Virtue, Magic, Wisdom, and Spirituality 

Bhul chuk maaf

Have you read his book? I have read bits and pieces and he has completely lost the point. 

He is saying that singhs used to live near brothels so they can have sex etc and a whole lot of other bullshit

3 hours ago, paapiman said:

The title is not excellent. The underlined part shows it in a wrong light. This is not the ethos of the granth.

17 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

The title is not excellent. The underlined part shows it in a wrong light. This is not the ethos of the granth.

We cannot deny that plenty of Shingar ras (mood of love, romance and sensuality) is present in the Charitars.

Bhul chuk maaf

18 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

well one can't deny that erotica makes up a part of the granth alongside those other Things that are mentioned.

On 5/29/2018 at 3:35 PM, amardeep said:

well one can't deny that erotica makes up a part of the granth alongside those other Things that are mentioned.

I don't know if I've got the definition wrong but I always thought 'erotica' meant stuff that was designed to turn someone on. I don't see much of that in CP myself. It's more like warnings and illustrations of gullible and stupid behaviour?