Sri Charitropakhyan Sahib jee Series - Charitar #36 and 37

Here we have another charitar that covers 2 chapters.

Here are some of my observations from this charitar:

Firstly the man caught his wife enflagrant as in another charitar. But on that occasion the husband left both of them alone and persuaded his own mind to forget about it. Move on. But in this charitar the aggrieved party, the husband kills the other man. Why didn't he kill his wife as well? I can't see the wife as being innocent in this, rather she would have been the instigating party in the affair, as the other man was an employee of her husband.

That brings me onto another point. The other man worked for the husband but had no loyalty toward him at all.

Then after the woman discovers her lover dead, she was hellbent on revenge and took a sword to kill any man she could find. Did the other man mean that much to her that she was prepared to kill over him?

Why does the dogar wait a year? I think maybe he was giving her the chance to come clean herself and tell him the truth. Finally after a good amount of time, the Dogar knew she wouldn'tand decided to engineer things to solicit some kind of reaction from her.  Then after she has been exposed she even attempts to kill her own husband, who is the innocent party in the story. maybe this is also a reflection of the root story where the Queen has attempted to take the of the Prince ?

See the ending here? How the husband says to the villagers :" look at my injuries." When I read this it reminded me of the self -inflicted injuries the Queen gave herself and used them as evidence to the King. The husband here for his part now knows that he can never reconcile with his wife after ther attempt on his life. So he decides that her death is the only way out.

See this is is also different because instead of the bloke (or women) being mugged off (and being  completely oblivious to it - as seems to be the case in most of the previous chariters), here the man actually figures out what is happening, and then also manages to save himself when the women goes into a frenzy with the sword (the second time in the dark) . In the end it is the bloke who evades all the moves against him. So it sort of makes a break from previous narratives where the main party is completely made a fool of. 

Does the CP narrative now shift from the foolishness of people blinded by lust, to those that see through deceptions? We should note any subtle changes in the subsequent narratives henceforth. 

What I don't get is where he gets those injuries that he shows the villagers in the end? 

23 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

What I don't get is where he gets those injuries that he shows the villagers in the end? 

He got those injuries when his wife went on a frenzy trying to kill him.

The last line of Charitar# 36 alludes to it.

ਨਿਜੁ ਪਤਿ ਕੋ ਘਾਇਲ ਕਿਯਾ ਨੈਕ ਨ ਰਹੀ ਲਜਾਇ ॥੧੬॥

She injured her husband, but did not even feel a bit of shame

Bhul chuk maaf

54 minutes ago, paapiman said:

He got those injuries when his wife went on a frenzy trying to kill him.

The last line of Charitar# 36 alludes to it.

ਨਿਜੁ ਪਤਿ ਕੋ ਘਾਇਲ ਕਿਯਾ ਨੈਕ ਨ ਰਹੀ ਲਜਾਇ ॥੧੬॥

She injured her husband, but did not even feel a bit of shame

Bhul chuk maaf

What about this then?

cp.png.eeb72a7e3020da15f39e953dc494bfc0.png

The translation doesn't make sense in english too much Dal. It says "in the house" to begin with, and then "he hid under a buffalo." Who keeps a buffalo in their house?

When I looked at it this is how I translated that part

"

ਪੈਠਿ ਅੰਧੇਰੇ ਧਾਮ ਮਹਿ ਕਾਢਿ ਲਈ ਕਰਵਾਰਿ ॥

Entering the house in the dark, she took out a sword ( ਕਰਵਾਰਿ ) is a sword that is shaped like a nail - mahan kosh )

ਨਿਜੁ ਪਤਿ ਪੈ ਹਤ ਕੇ ਨਿਮਿਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਪਚਾਸਿਕ ਵਾਰਿ ॥੧੪॥

With the intention of killing her husband she struck several times (I don't think she actually made 50 strikes, just a lot of strikes)

ਨਿਰਖਿ ਚਮਕ ਤਰਵਾਰ ਕੀ ਦੁਰਯਾ ਮਹਿਖ ਤਰ ਜਾਇ ॥

Seeing the flash of the sword he hid under a leather rug (ਤਰ  also means under)( the word ਦੁਰਯਾ means rug/covering) (ਮਹਿਖ means buffalo)

(I can't see him hiding under an actual buffalo, becasue of the setting and also how preposterous it would sound as well. )

ਤਨਿਕ ਨ ਬ੍ਰਿਣ ਲਾਗਨ ਦਈ ਇਹ ਛਲ ਗਯੋ ਬਚਾਇ ॥੧੫॥

Not getting many injuries he survived by this act 15.

Just to add there is no mention of the Prince being recalled or returned to prison in these charitars either.

On 5/14/2018 at 9:41 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Does the CP narrative now shift from the foolishness of people blinded by lust, to those that see through deceptions?

I think it extends to what lengths people can go to when they are blinded by lust, and the need for revenge.

1 minute ago, chatanga1 said:

I think it extends to what lengths people can go to when they are blinded by lust, and the need for revenge.

We have to keep an eye for possible subtle changes in themes. Keep track of how the narrative develops and groupings of the chariters. 

On 5/14/2018 at 6:51 AM, chatanga1 said:

That brings me onto another point. The other man worked for the husband but had no loyalty toward him at all.

The above can remind us of the Pandit of the original tale, who did not tutor Hanwant Singh (thereby keeping him illiterate). His loyalty should have been towards the King (Chitar Singh), but he betrayed his master. In olden times, the role of the Pandit was very pertinent in educating the princes in the various fields of knowledge. This would prepare them to become suitable to sit on the throne in the future.

Bhul chuk maaf

Firstly the man caught his wife enflagrant as in another charitar. But on that occasion the husband left both of them alone and persuaded his own mind to forget about it. Move on. But in this charitar the aggrieved party, the husband kills the other man.

The difference being that, in this Charitar, the lover is an employee of the husband, but in that case, he was not. Therefore, the gravity of the crime is more intense in this case.

Bhul chuk maaf 

40 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Niddar's translation below:

Seeing the flash of the Tarvar sword, her husband hid under a buffalo; he received no serious blow. With such cunning he saved himself. (15)

Bhul chuk maaf

Where are you getting Niddar's translation from?

Then after the woman discovers her lover dead, she was hellbent on revenge and took a sword to kill any man she could find.

The above can be related to the base tale. Chitar Mati possibly wants to avenge the destruction of her father's kingdom by Chitar Singh. Maybe the wise minister is trying to illustrate to Chitar Singh the powerful feelings of revenge, even in immoral women.

Bhul chuk maaf

Why does the dogar wait a year? I think maybe he was giving her the chance to come clean herself and tell him the truth. Finally after a good amount of time, the Dogar knew she wouldn'tand decided to engineer things to solicit some kind of reaction from her. 

The reason for the wait could again (similar to Charitar# 33) be the honour of the family. Dogar was a wealthy man. We can assume that he had a good standing in the society. Imagine if his wife's body is discovered along with the lover's (indicating an affair), it could bring shame to the family.

IMHO, the Dogar made a foolish mistake in exposing her for just refusing an errand/chore. He should have held on to this secret of hers and brought it out at an more appropriate time. 

Even though, there seems to be nothing in the verses to indicate that he acted impulsively, Niddar (please see below) has highlighted this point in this translation.

Without pausing to think the Dogra retorted: “It pains me greatly that you refuse me. Have you forgotten that day woman, when you swam across the river after first disposing of your lover’s corpse in the river? You were not afraid then?” (12)

Bhul chuk maaf 

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

Where are you getting Niddar's translation from?

Dal you are aware that Nidar Singh has brought out a kindle of CharitroPakhyan translations?

2 hours ago, paapiman said:

The above can remind us of the Pandit of the original tale, who did not tutor Hanwant Singh (thereby keeping him illiterate).

Good connection bro.

1 hour ago, paapiman said:

The above can be related to the base tale. Chitar Mati possibly wants to avenge the destruction of her father's kingdom by Chitar Singh. Maybe the wise minister is trying to illustrate to Chitar Singh the powerful feelings of revenge, even in immoral women.

A very good connection there bro. I'm a little angry with myself that I didn't notice it myself, as it occurs twice in Mahabharat which I have been reading/watching recently.

When Bhishma goes for Gandhari's hand in marriage for blind Dhritrashtar, both Shakuni and his father are too afraid of Bhishma to refuse him. Shakuni is very angry and swears to destroy the pandav kingdom.

The other time Bhishma takes the 3 girls and one ends up killing herself but swears she will avenge herself on him in a new form of Shikandi.

I'm seeing this in a new light as well. How physical power can in itself lead toward powerful and uncontrollable desires of revenge by those on the receiving end.

2 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

Dal you are aware that Nidar Singh has brought out a kindle of CharitroPakhyan translations?

Good connection bro.

I've heard about it, but when I search amazon, it doesn't come up?

6 minutes ago, paapiman said:

U still in UK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078X3Q774

Bhul chuk maaf

Yeah. Thanks. Funny that don't come up when you search for 'Nidar' on Amazon?? His hazoori book comes up though....hhmmm