Sign in to follow this  
learner

CCS recommendation on Vitamin D supplementation

Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) recommends supplementation of Vitamin D 1000 I.U. ( international units) during fall & winter season. 

Breast fed babies should get 400 I.U/ day. 

People at higher risk of having low Vitamin D levels include those who are older, have dark skin, do not go outside often & wear clothing that cover most of their skin. They should take supplement all year round. 

Vit D is very important for nonwhite people living in colder climes. Technically it isn't a vitamin but a hormone.

I get mine tested yearly, but I work outside and in summer I get plenty of exposure to the sun. 

To me the whole vit D thing is similar to our understanding of the human endocannabinoid system. We simply don't have nearly enough understanding of the roles these play in our bodies although it is becoming apparent that they do not simply serve one function but have multiple roles in our physiology. 

I think more serious research should be conducted on these things, but there are a lot of agendas that seem to stifle this.