Sikhi Guidance

Jageera

WJKK WJKF

I grew up in a Punjabi Sikh family that practiced very basic Sikhi.Just the usual sunday Gurudwara and attending functions.I am keshdhari.

I just know Waheguru,Mool Mantar and Kabyo Bach Benti Chaupai.This is all the prayers I've ever done.

I would like advice from members and seniors here on where to begin.I have a deep urge to learn my own religion but I don't know where to start.

Been binge watching Basic of Sikhi videos absorbing as much as I can.As I understand it's best to start with learning Gurmukhi.

Thanks.

Yes you are right. Learning Gurmukhi is an absolute must. See if this helps?

After I learnt the letters and sounds, I found reading a gutka whilst listening to an audio of the paat REALLY helped me. I used Giani Thakur Singh's audio because he makes an effort to pronounce properly. You can get slow recitations that are super helpful when you start. 

11 hours ago, Jageera said:

WJKK WJKF

I grew up in a Punjabi Sikh family that practiced very basic Sikhi.Just the usual sunday Gurudwara and attending functions.I am keshdhari.

I just know Waheguru,Mool Mantar and Kabyo Bach Benti Chaupai.This is all the prayers I've ever done.

I would like advice from members and seniors here on where to begin.I have a deep urge to learn my own religion but I don't know where to start.

Been binge watching Basic of Sikhi videos absorbing as much as I can.As I understand it's best to start with learning Gurmukhi.

Thanks.

Can you understand Punjabi?

Bhul chuk maaf

12 minutes ago, Jageera said:

I can hold a conversation in punjabi,but simple punjabi...village ish punjabi...nothing sophisticated.

Thats very good veer ji. Where are you based in country wise ?

As i was in the same boat as you when i was gonna learn my nitnem banis. 

I just used roman english texts on a english gutka or sundar gutka app is really good as well.

I would use paathis like bhai jarnail singh or gyani thakur singh paath audios and would copy the sounds they made against my sounds when i was learning the banis. 

Its a long nice process when i started it a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

I still don't know how to read and write in punjabi but thats something i will try to learn soon or later as that would help as many dasam banis are printed wrong as i have noticed so many mistakes in the transalated versions and punjabi scripts as well.

4 hours ago, Soulfinder said:

Thats very good veer ji. Where are you based in country wise ?

As i was in the same boat as you when i was gonna learn my nitnem banis. 

I just used roman english texts on a english gutka or sundar gutka app is really good as well.

I would use paathis like bhai jarnail singh or gyani thakur singh paath audios and would copy the sounds they made against my sounds when i was learning the banis. 

Its a long nice process when i started it a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

I still don't know how to read and write in punjabi but thats something i will try to learn soon or later as that would help as many dasam banis are printed wrong as i have noticed so many mistakes in the transalated versions and punjabi scripts as well.

Thanks.

16 hours ago, Jageera said:

I have a deep urge to learn my own religion but I don't know where to start.

To connect with history, you can start off by listening to the katha of Sri Sooraj Prakash Granth, which is the history of the 10 Satgurus in poetic form.

If you are looking to read something in English, you can read the Sri Gur Panth Prakash by Gyani Rattan Singh jee. It has been translated (2 volumes) in English. This granth illustrates all the struggles Singhs went through, during the times of persecution under the Mughals and the Afghans.

Bhul chuk maaf

54 minutes ago, Jageera said:

30s. Katha means explanation of bani? I saw some on Basic of Sikhi channel. Thanks.

Yes, but that will be in English. If yo can understand Panjabi up to a medium level, then start listening to katha to improve your Panjabi and Sikh knowledge.

Sorry didn't see Dal's post. He has nailed it there.

You know, as someone who (amongst other jobs over the years) was a teacher, some of the advice given to new learners by forum members is just way off the mark - based on my own learning and teaching experiences. 

Some of you guys start throwing in suggestions to newbies that involve interactions with old texts that aren't even in Panjabi (i.e. Brij Bhasha like Suraj Prakash). Or throwing in katha which will have quite a wide range of vocab - at a beginner who will have limited vocab to say the least. When people do this, they are actually decreasing the chances of the newbie learning in a big way (most of the time). They should stop doing this.

Think small, solid steps, not major overnight leaps. 

50 minutes ago, paapiman said:

Sri Sooraj Prakash Granth's katha is in Punjabi. Jageera b was asked beforehand, whether he understood Punjabi or not, before the advice was given. Daas is aware that Sri Sooraj Prakash granth is in Braj Bhasha. No one is telling him to read the text in Braj Bhasha, which would be an imprudent advice to give. 

Gyani Kulwant Singh jee's kathas are not very hard to comprehend for someone who already understands Punjabi. A few words, which you don't get, can be easily checked via the dictionaries.

His Katha is also really good for spiritual beginners.

There are probably many people out there who can speak and understand Punjabi, but they cannot read or write it (Gurmukhi script). Those folks can easily listen to Katha, especially if they have a passion to know more about their religion.

Bhul chuk maaf

Just remember a lot of people don't learn well in this way. There is a thing know as Learning Style, and people need to match their own learning style to suitable  techniques for best effect. If they fail too, they can easily get demotivated. 

I'm telling you this because if I had been thrown a bunch of katha videos when I wanted to start to learn Panjabi properly. I wouldn't even have started.

The point is that we all need to maybe tread carefully with advice. This applies to me too. 

When you think about it, this forum is also a repository of a few forum members endeavours to improve their language skills. All the translations, the vocabulary thread etc. 

On 10/9/2018 at 10:10 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Yes you are right. Learning Gurmukhi is an absolute must. See if this helps?

After I learnt the letters and sounds, I found reading a gutka whilst listening to an audio of the paat REALLY helped me. I used Giani Thakur Singh's audio because he makes an effort to pronounce properly. You can get slow recitations that are super helpful when you start. 

Thats what i did veer ji in the starting i used gyani thakur singhs audio for panj banis as it was a roman english scripts i use for paaths.