Sikhi Guidance

Jageera

11 minutes ago, Soulfinder said:

Thats what i did veer ji in the starting i used gyani thakur singhs audio for panj banis as it was a roman english scripts i use for paaths.

Have you learnt Gurmukhi yet veer? Roman script transliterations really do my head in personally. lol

On 10/10/2018 at 5:13 PM, Jageera said:

Nevermind paapiman.I found both volumes till episode 169 at sikhinstitute.org.Thanks

This is raw pre-British influence Sikh itihaas. Be ready to read stuff that might shock you if you've been heavily influenced by Singh Sabha style 'Sikhism'. 

44 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Have you learnt Gurmukhi yet veer? Roman script transliterations really do my head in personally. lol

No not yet veer ji but i am planning on learning gurmukhi soon as it will happen.

You are right lol it sometimes does annoy using roman scripts as their are so many mistakes in all of dasam granth banis as i used and compared it with the audio so thats why i had to write out some of the pauris by hand or ms word as banis like shastar naam mala, brahm kavach and even nitnem banis have so many mistakes in them.

My mum said in punjabi gutkas there are mistakes as well especially dasam banis.

33 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Listen bro, you got to prioritise learning Gurmukhi asap. It ain't that hard if you do it the right way (and already know how to speak Panjabi). 

Veer ji i will yes as you are right i do need to make this my first prioty as i was looking today at Chandi Chirtar 2 online and the roman didn't match the words & didn't match the audio much.

So i am gonna start hopefuly this weekend as its really important as my speech talking is really good so roman english wasn't that hard for me as i really wanted to at the time to learn nitnem and other dasam banis so it was easier to do roman english than learn gurmukhi back then.

3 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

This is raw pre-British influence Sikh itihaas. Be ready to read stuff that might shock you if you've been heavily influenced by Singh Sabha style 'Sikhism'. 

Ok thanks for the heads up.It's a huge volume.Will go through it slowly.I'm also looking for material on the life of the Gurus.Used to have this old book written by some westerner on Guru Gobind Singh ji.Don't know where it disappeared.

3 hours ago, paapiman said:

You can read books by Bhai Vir Singh jee on the life of the Satgurus. 

http://www.damdamitaksalitaly.it/Pages/Literature/Books/Bhai Vir Singh Ji all PDF.html

Bhul chuk maaf

Remember that his histories were written during the colonial period and for all his strengths I think Bhai sahib was obviously heavily influenced by his British Christian Protestant education, as well as Anglo historiography. It's really interesting to juxtaposition his style of writing itihaas with the pre-colonial Sikh model as represented by Bhangu's work. Note the open honesty and realism of the uninfluenced Sikh model compared to the sort of whitewashed, puritan, triumphalism style of the British influenced writings. 

If you're wondering what I mean by 'triumphalism' here is a definition: excessive exultation over one's success or achievements (used especially in a political context).

Paapiman you need to widen your reading too. Haven't you noticed a big difference in precolonial SIkh writing and those that come from the colonial period yet? 

1 hour ago, paapiman said:

Heavily influenced or just influenced like we are (living and educated in western societies)?

Bhul chuk maaf

Heavily (in my opinion) to the point of creating a different belief system. 

7 hours ago, paapiman said:

That's astonishing, given the fact that Bhai saab Bhai Vir Singh jee was a Taksali Gyani (part of Gyani Sampradai lineage).

Bhul chuk maaf

As I get older I realise that the influences on BVS's writing is much more complex than most people imagine. I think you can read Panjabi, have a read of this to get an idea of how modern influences compelled him to make changes to puratan itihaasic documents. 

https://www.scribd.com/document/50691250/Bhai-Vir-Singh-s-editing-of-Panth-Prakash-by-Dr-Harinder-Singh-Chopra-Dr-Surjit-Hans

On 10/10/2018 at 2:33 AM, Jageera said:

WJKK WJKF

I grew up in a Punjabi Sikh family that practiced very basic Sikhi.Just the usual sunday Gurudwara and attending functions.I am keshdhari.

I just know Waheguru,Mool Mantar and Kabyo Bach Benti Chaupai.This is all the prayers I've ever done.

I would like advice from members and seniors here on where to begin.I have a deep urge to learn my own religion but I don't know where to start.

Been binge watching Basic of Sikhi videos absorbing as much as I can.As I understand it's best to start with learning Gurmukhi.

Thanks.

Veerji you can start understanding Nanak philosophy by starting with Japji Sahib .I would recommend Prof Darshan Singh very simple Punjabi not hard to understand overall has a beautiful voice.

Then ones you understand the essence of Japji Sahib.Go to Sidh Ghosat Katha this will help you understand how Nanak philosophy is different from hindu Yogi's and siddhas .then comes asa di var .

Please remember don't be  doing paat only you have to understand and do vichar of the shabad as to what Guruji is saying.

2 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

darshan rogi has launched a direct attack on the this precious so-called SRM. Look at this angy parasite's hypocrisy. Talks hot air about the so-called SRM and then uses those who have gone against the SRM as some sort ofd beacon for learning.

You dont believe in SRM either .Aren't you and Darshan singh on same platform then

^^^ Look at the issues we have. 

Look at how potentially off-putting they could be to someone trying to get closer to Sikhi...... hhhmmmm..

I think maybe we should start new threads about any issues and allow this one to be dedicated to Jageera's learning?

21 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

^^^ Look at the issues we have. 

Look at how potentially off-putting they could be to someone trying to get closer to Sikhi...... hhhmmmm..

I think maybe we should start new threads about any issues and allow this one to be dedicated to Jageera's learning?

Admin ,Moderator kindly look into it we need a healthy debate here . He @chatanga1  is the one trying to spoil the discussion kindly issue him the warning.

@chatanga1

Thanks all for your tips and contribution.I have 1 question.What is your opinion on this book 'The Sikh Religion' by Macauliffe?I managed to find volume 5 in my house.Interesting read.Just started on Guru Gobind Singh Ji's life.Is this book historically accurate?

Also,what is the difference between SGGS 'Sanchian' and 'Steek'?Thanks.