Training after 40 - experiences and tips

dalsingh101

This ones for the older cats out there. Anyone whose in their 40s and still training. Care to share your experiences? 

@Lucky

LOL!!! 41 isn't old .............. still young blood

In my opinion , I would do a regular sport that you enjoy and eat right . Its all about eating right. For example , you may play football once or twice a week , and that requires a level of fitness ( so your aim would be to stay fit , stamina wise  and muscle development )

do Cardio work , exercise bike ,  pressups , squats  which require no weights .

Warming up is key

1. do jumping jacks where you spread your legs and clap your hands over your head with stretched arms. Good for warming up the full-body

2.alternate toe touches  standing up , where finger tips touch alternate toes. Good for warming up back , buttock and hamstring

3. Squats , good for warming up quads,hamstring and buttock

4. pressups good for pecs.deltoids,triceps, and upper back

5. seated stretches where your aim is to touch your toes alternately good for hamstrings,groin,spine , back and buttocks

6.thigh stretch , hold foot and pull towards the bum , ( stretches thighs) good for quads and thighs

can start with doing 10 reps then increase slowly to say 20-25. Its recommended 10-15 mins warm , its very hard to do but something is better than nothing hey !!!LOL

Obviously older you get , its harder to build muscle and more prone to injury so stretching is crucial before and after training . Its hard to do and is easily missed .

If going for weights , i.e. benchpress, squats , biceps, legs etc... focus more on technique and with light weight don't go or increase weight until you can comfortably do 12-14 reps for about 6 weeks. Then increase slowly. Your body will tell you if you are straining or easily doing the weights , then act accordingly. I would advise not to lift too much heavy weights. Do compound exercises as a must i.e. squats , deadlift ..

Theres plenty of stuff on the internet giving you tips and techniques. Obviously body needs rest so train Monday , rest , train weds, rest , train fri, rest  ....

I believe 80 percent is what you eat , let me add I am no fanatic or an expert just some views I thought I share and if you like them take on board otherwise just disgard them , but the biggest hurdle is starting it , whatever you want to do , start it and stick at it ....... it will take time and you'll notice the benefits .... Next time you know it you'll be 51 but feel like a 21 year old.

Good luck

HTH

On 1/4/2019 at 11:56 PM, dalsingh101 said:

You've said this a few times over the years jaikaara.

It's really important to have realistic goals and keep some routine going on consistently. 

DSG is right about the importance of food. Don't under estimate it. Can you not gradually decrease your intake? Reducing carbs gradually is the way to go in my opinion. 

I just had about two months with little to no training, which is the longest I've never trained in years (7/8 years at least). I'm shocked at how my body has retained shape, although muscle mass and some tone has obviously decreased. I'm just getting back into training now (as of yesterday). 

What have you tried training wise? Was it cardio focused, or weights? Did you enjoy any of it? 

Look just commit to 30 minutes a day for two weeks and see where you get with that. 

i know dear bro ..have been going through stress so am not able to focus. I will have to get up 

Compound exercises works for me best.. Just hit mid 30's

3 x a week..heavy weight, each session 3-4 sets of each exercise (reps anything from 4-8/9)

squats/deadlifts, bench, military press, barbell back row. 

once a week bag work to keep flexibility and sharpness..

As you get older diet is more key than quantity of training... pre workout is 2 eggs and toast with peanut butter.. post workout is a good steak, lamb or beef.. good solid protein with fats and gives you that testosterone feeling as you eat..

Young cats...advice to learn arts more than weights.. weights always there but martial art needs to be learnt early imo..

10 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Seriously, you need to take small steps. But you need to take that small step. 

The secret is: routine, routine and then more routine. 

A lot of us are going through our stresses bro, Training actually helps in that department too. 

very true bro...i will finally start..am going to the South for a 4 day trip . Will come back and start. 

Here's some vids showing how we can look when older. It's important to realise that we don't have to go the pot bellied way many of our olders go.

One important thing I've learnt is about eating fats to keep testosterone levels up. 

• 8 months later...
On 9/11/2019 at 10:20 PM, samurai2 said:

For those over 40 or whatever, even if you feel so out of shape it doesn't matter. A six pack may seem a bit of an uphill struggle..lol..

Forget a six pack. Just allow the pot belly look. Please..... Especially for keshdharis. lol

Just keep that belly flat, no muffin tops please.  

Let's give this a miss:

750581_paki_jpg63d504f58d92bdc24af9c7f0a

On 9/15/2019 at 7:22 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Forget a six pack. Just allow the pot belly look. Please..... Especially for keshdharis. lol

Just keep that belly flat, no muffin tops please.  

Let's give this a miss:

750581_paki_jpg63d504f58d92bdc24af9c7f0a

Mate this pic is a classic.

I think the older generation is more reactive than pro active.. my old man only cut down his drinking cos he got high blood pressure and high cholesterol, even then it was like 'now ill have water with whiskey instead of coke'.. these buddeh are fuking idiots man..lol..

But yeh, even these young amritdharis ive seen with pot belly's.. like i get the whole.veg diet but that dont mean you stuff your face with shit...

There needs to be a big change in mentality and approach 

Like, if sikhi is about miri piri/saint soldier then why isnt every gurdwara got a gym?? Yoga for the budiyan( not saying men cont or shouldnt).. like if we are so hell bent on being keshdhari/shasterdhari, as per the tenth masters command then why not listen to the 2nd master who encouraged wrestling.. 

1 hour ago, samurai2 said:

Mate this pic is a classic.

I think the older generation is more reactive than pro active.. my old man only cut down his drinking cos he got high blood pressure and high cholesterol, even then it was like 'now ill have water with whiskey instead of coke'.. these buddeh are fuking idiots man..lol..

But yeh, even these young amritdharis ive seen with pot belly's.. like i get the whole.veg diet but that dont mean you stuff your face with shit...

There needs to be a big change in mentality and approach 

Like, if sikhi is about miri piri/saint soldier then why isnt every gurdwara got a gym?? Yoga for the budiyan( not saying men cont or shouldnt).. like if we are so hell bent on being keshdhari/shasterdhari, as per the tenth masters command then why not listen to the 2nd master who encouraged wrestling.. 

What proper baffles me is how certain apnay achieve the pot-bellied look despite not drinking at all and being hardcore vegetarian?!??!?!

Like what are you doing with your diet??

I think it's because it's hard to get loads of protein in with the veg diet, and it has a load of carbs in it, if you don't know how to regulate your food intake, and don't live actively?

20 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

What proper baffles me is how certain apnay achieve the pot-bellied look despite not drinking at all and being hardcore vegetarian?!??!?!

Like what are you doing with your diet??

I think it's because it's hard to get loads of protein in with the veg diet, and it has a load of carbs in it, if you don't know how to regulate your food intake, and don't live actively?

Its defo diet. 

When i was veggie i found that i had to put extra effort in trying to balance my diet with some good protein. Then i went on veg with egg diet, much easier. I can say from the veegies i know tend to eat much more and really are more concerned that a product doesn't have egg in it than actually looking at what their doby need ie protein. If the put as much effort in to looking for good veg protein as they do in hunting food with no egg they will be much healthier.

I would like to know from people here what their veg diet includes, like generally what is your 3 meal a day look like. What snacks do you eat.

From my observation alot of people with veg diet are not that concerned with exercise and calorie intake. Friends of mine (moneh turned amritdhari, so from a kaan peen background) havw said clearly they eat more, and put a lot of desi kheh in their sabji to give them that 'full up' feel, no to mention their roti intake has almost doubled...lol

I always go back to our dharmshala. With the money gurdwareh get, they need to start introducing good meals, im all for roti and jalebi as a cheat meal.. but man abit of pasta salad, self made pizza..drinks like giner lemon honey need to start getting introduced. ..

Also just to add that soya stuff vegs have for protein is not so good.. do your research. 

Maybe those people on a veg diet can list some healthy veg protein....so for those who want to go veg diet don't necessarily need.to get on a shit diet..

7 hours ago, samurai2 said:

Also just to add that soya stuff vegs have for protein is not so good.. do your research.

Veer ji you are 100% correct soya is not good at all. I have seen what it does and trust me its not nice the effects of it as i developed rashes from the oil used on the pizza meal i had at pizza hut a few years ago.

Rest of your points are true veer ji i agree with them about the diet intake and cooking choices.

Myself i usually have to be careful to avoid cooked cheese foods and nowdays chocolate as it triggers my migraines. Plus there is not much choice for a veggie like me when I go outside lol.

• 4 months later...
On 1/1/2019 at 12:29 PM, dalsingh101 said:

This ones for the older cats out there. Anyone whose in their 40s and still training. Care to share your experiences? 

@Lucky

I know it's a post from last year. I don't recall coming across it, but yes, I can give a few pointers if interested.

After 40,  the workout regime has to change for males. Especially if you want to maintain or want an even stronger and fitter body.  

If you find that doing lunges, deadlifts, shoulder press, bench press is not giving results like it may have done years ago, then the answer is "testosterone". Change diet and add nutrients especially, Vitamin D3 high dose,  Magnesium, Zinc,  D-aspartic acid, Fenugreek, Boron, Vitamin K1 and K2,,......to name a few.   Also recommend plenty of ginger(daily), coconut oil, broccoli, garlic, cabbage, greens, beans,. Avoid soy at all costs and limit fried foods, flaxseed and all processed junk.  

Need to spend more time pumping and doing compound exercise with weights. Keep intense cardio workouts a minimum and don't slog it out on cardio if trying to warm up prior to lifting and pulling.  

the diet and workout approach should yield positive results within a couple of months. I say this because my body reactions and recovery are quite slow, but within 2 months my invisible six pack started appearing. 

I've also started to take citrulline malate prior to workouts as it boosts nitrous oxide and blood flow.

On 1/29/2020 at 8:56 AM, Lucky said:

I know it's a post from last year. I don't recall coming across it, but yes, I can give a few pointers if interested.

After 40,  the workout regime has to change for males. Especially if you want to maintain or want an even stronger and fitter body.  

If you find that doing lunges, deadlifts, shoulder press, bench press is not giving results like it may have done years ago, then the answer is "testosterone". Change diet and add nutrients especially, Vitamin D3 high dose,  Magnesium, Zinc,  D-aspartic acid, Fenugreek, Boron, Vitamin K1 and K2,,......to name a few.   Also recommend plenty of ginger(daily), coconut oil, broccoli, garlic, cabbage, greens, beans,. Avoid soy at all costs and limit fried foods, flaxseed and all processed junk.  

Need to spend more time pumping and doing compound exercise with weights. Keep intense cardio workouts a minimum and don't slog it out on cardio if trying to warm up prior to lifting and pulling.  

the diet and workout approach should yield positive results within a couple of months. I say this because my body reactions and recovery are quite slow, but within 2 months my invisible six pack started appearing. 

I've also started to take citrulline malate prior to workouts as it boosts nitrous oxide and blood flow.

Nice one, I will look into those things I haven't implemented. I notice also we need to be careful of muscle imbalances and working smaller support muscles. I didn't know about the importance of developing smaller muscles like the rotator cuff, serratus anterior etc. Ligaments and tendons have to be factored too. Dominant muscles are also something that start to come into focus - my upper traps apparently did too much work and I'm working on the mid and lower ones to balance things out. 

I noticed my metabolism is good after all these years in that I don't suffer from middle aged spread - so persistence pays off. Longer rest periods are a good idea too. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/11/2019 at 10:20 PM, samurai2 said:

For those over 40 or whatever, even if you feel so out of shape it doesn't matter. A six pack may seem a bit of an uphill struggle..lol..

Just start with a 20 min brisk walk every night (about an hour after eating)...just see how you feel as you do not want to walk on a bloat stomach.. then slowly increase it..(take it from there)..

For those who are over weight, forget exercise for now... concentrate on diet.. that's it....once you have that in control, then start brisk walking, then jogging, then weights... its all good, only competition is yourself..Lets go..lol

For all you young cats, start training man..lol.. KO gym bethnal green, i trained many years there... i recomend it for sure for those in london, friendly atmosphere but hard training...

P.s.. be sharp and have fight I.Q... not all about the six pack..lol..

Why walk after a meal? Not great for digestion

probably better to walk much earlier in the day

22 hours ago, Premi said:

Why walk after a meal? Not great for digestion

probably better to walk much earlier in the day

I disagree brother. Having a green tea after meals is great for digestion, and so is having a decent walk (i.e. not just once around the block). A half decent walk after food essentially speeds up your metabolism and uses up some of the converted energy of the meal, which reduces the amount that might float about and get stored as churbhee. It also helps combat that feeling of sluggishness that you can feel after a meal.