Sign in to follow this  
dalsingh101

Training after 40 - experiences and tips

This ones for the older cats out there. Anyone whose in their 40s and still training. Care to share your experiences? 

@Lucky

i want to start, i am 41 and highly obese weighing 107 kilos , i have tried some trainers but they are young so dont understand the transitioning the body has to go through. if you can please guide please let me know 

LOL!!! 41 isn't old .............. still young blood

In my opinion , I would do a regular sport that you enjoy and eat right . Its all about eating right. For example , you may play football once or twice a week , and that requires a level of fitness ( so your aim would be to stay fit , stamina wise  and muscle development )

do Cardio work , exercise bike ,  pressups , squats  which require no weights .

Warming up is key

1. do jumping jacks where you spread your legs and clap your hands over your head with stretched arms. Good for warming up the full-body

2.alternate toe touches  standing up , where finger tips touch alternate toes. Good for warming up back , buttock and hamstring

3. Squats , good for warming up quads,hamstring and buttock

4. pressups good for pecs.deltoids,triceps, and upper back

5. seated stretches where your aim is to touch your toes alternately good for hamstrings,groin,spine , back and buttocks

6.thigh stretch , hold foot and pull towards the bum , ( stretches thighs) good for quads and thighs

can start with doing 10 reps then increase slowly to say 20-25. Its recommended 10-15 mins warm , its very hard to do but something is better than nothing hey !!!LOL

Obviously older you get , its harder to build muscle and more prone to injury so stretching is crucial before and after training . Its hard to do and is easily missed .

If going for weights , i.e. benchpress, squats , biceps, legs etc... focus more on technique and with light weight don't go or increase weight until you can comfortably do 12-14 reps for about 6 weeks. Then increase slowly. Your body will tell you if you are straining or easily doing the weights , then act accordingly. I would advise not to lift too much heavy weights. Do compound exercises as a must i.e. squats , deadlift ..

Theres plenty of stuff on the internet giving you tips and techniques. Obviously body needs rest so train Monday , rest , train weds, rest , train fri, rest  ....

I believe 80 percent is what you eat , let me add I am no fanatic or an expert just some views I thought I share and if you like them take on board otherwise just disgard them , but the biggest hurdle is starting it , whatever you want to do , start it and stick at it ....... it will take time and you'll notice the benefits .... Next time you know it you'll be 51 but feel like a 21 year old.

Good luck

HTH

7 hours ago, jaikaara said:

i want to start, i am 41 and highly obese weighing 107 kilos , i have tried some trainers but they are young so dont understand the transitioning the body has to go through. if you can please guide please let me know 

You've said this a few times over the years jaikaara.

It's really important to have realistic goals and keep some routine going on consistently. 

DSG is right about the importance of food. Don't under estimate it. Can you not gradually decrease your intake? Reducing carbs gradually is the way to go in my opinion. 

I just had about two months with little to no training, which is the longest I've never trained in years (7/8 years at least). I'm shocked at how my body has retained shape, although muscle mass and some tone has obviously decreased. I'm just getting back into training now (as of yesterday). 

What have you tried training wise? Was it cardio focused, or weights? Did you enjoy any of it? 

Look just commit to 30 minutes a day for two weeks and see where you get with that. 

On 1/4/2019 at 11:56 PM, dalsingh101 said:

You've said this a few times over the years jaikaara.

It's really important to have realistic goals and keep some routine going on consistently. 

DSG is right about the importance of food. Don't under estimate it. Can you not gradually decrease your intake? Reducing carbs gradually is the way to go in my opinion. 

I just had about two months with little to no training, which is the longest I've never trained in years (7/8 years at least). I'm shocked at how my body has retained shape, although muscle mass and some tone has obviously decreased. I'm just getting back into training now (as of yesterday). 

What have you tried training wise? Was it cardio focused, or weights? Did you enjoy any of it? 

Look just commit to 30 minutes a day for two weeks and see where you get with that. 

i know dear bro ..have been going through stress so am not able to focus. I will have to get up 

5 hours ago, jaikaara said:

i know dear bro ..have been going through stress so am not able to focus. I will have to get up 

Seriously, you need to take small steps. But you need to take that small step. 

The secret is: routine, routine and then more routine. 

A lot of us are going through our stresses bro, Training actually helps in that department too. 

Compound exercises works for me best.. Just hit mid 30's

3 x a week..heavy weight, each session 3-4 sets of each exercise (reps anything from 4-8/9)

squats/deadlifts, bench, military press, barbell back row. 

once a week bag work to keep flexibility and sharpness..

As you get older diet is more key than quantity of training... pre workout is 2 eggs and toast with peanut butter.. post workout is a good steak, lamb or beef.. good solid protein with fats and gives you that testosterone feeling as you eat..

Young cats...advice to learn arts more than weights.. weights always there but martial art needs to be learnt early imo..

10 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Seriously, you need to take small steps. But you need to take that small step. 

The secret is: routine, routine and then more routine. 

A lot of us are going through our stresses bro, Training actually helps in that department too. 

very true bro...i will finally start..am going to the South for a 4 day trip . Will come back and start. 

Here's some vids showing how we can look when older. It's important to realise that we don't have to go the pot bellied way many of our olders go.

One important thing I've learnt is about eating fats to keep testosterone levels up. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this