Training after 40 - experiences and tips

dalsingh101

On 6/15/2020 at 2:36 PM, dalsingh101 said:

I disagree brother. Having a green tea after meals is great for digestion, and so is having a decent walk (i.e. not just once around the block). A half decent walk after food essentially speeds up your metabolism and uses up some of the converted energy of the meal, which reduces the amount that might float about and get stored as churbhee. It also helps combat that feeling of sluggishness that you can feel after a meal.  

I thought it’s best to avoid as much as possible physical activity post-food as blood is then diverted away from digesting food properly .

if anything I’ve read it’s best to exercise before food, and then the food goes into building muscle and energising the exercised cells

3 hours ago, Premi said:

I thought it’s best to avoid as much as possible physical activity post-food as blood is then diverted away from digesting food properly .

if anything I’ve read it’s best to exercise before food, and then the food goes into building muscle and energising the exercised cells

I'm not sure. Anything you can comfortably do to ramp up your metabolism after eating makes more efficient use of the food you've ingested and also speeds up the digestion process. People who do physical jobs like bricklayers, routinely do physical stuff straight after their lunch breaks and I don't think it hurts them. I've seen physical workers like roofers eat like pigs on their lunch breaks, and then jump straight into graft. And these guys are in good shape. If anything, I'd worry about that lethargic feeling we can get after eating, where we just want to lay down. I think that is a sign that you are eating wrong and you have overwhelmed your body. I sometimes do something physical after eating a heavyish meal just to combat that. This way, your body is more likely to utilise nutrients instead of storing them as fat. 

Though, what you are saying about eating shortly after training is true also. 

You have to get a good sense of your own metabolism. 

• 1 year later...
On 1/1/2019 at 2:29 PM, dalsingh101 said:

This ones for the older cats out there. Anyone whose in their 40s and still training. Care to share your experiences? 

@Lucky

I use to train strength training before and studied body anatomy and kinesiology. I was bench pressing 185 lbs, deadlifts, squats, pull-ups with weight hanging. Now, that I m crossing 40s I do not train. I feel walking is the best exercise. Planks is good for strong spinal erectors it will help you sit longer in asanas.

On 6/15/2020 at 6:36 AM, dalsingh101 said:

I disagree brother. Having a green tea after meals is great for digestion, and so is having a decent walk (i.e. not just once around the block). A half decent walk after food essentially speeds up your metabolism and uses up some of the converted energy of the meal, which reduces the amount that might float about and get stored as churbhee. It also helps combat that feeling of sluggishness that you can feel after a meal.  

Pommies call that an evening constitutional I think. 

11 hours ago, sevak said:

I use to train strength training before and studied body anatomy and kinesiology. I was bench pressing 185 lbs, deadlifts, squats, pull-ups with weight hanging. Now, that I m crossing 40s I do not train. I feel walking is the best exercise. Planks is good for strong spinal erectors it will help you sit longer in asanas.

Did you not feel that your muscle mass was deteriorating? Not talking about size here (which would naturally decrease after not training for a while) but tone and composition? 

I don't train like I might have done in my 20s or even late 30s now, but if I do nothing for a protracted period, I feel terrible, mentally and physically. 

Another thing is that I do physio stuff I never did as a youngster (using rubber bands), to hit smaller stabilising muscles like the rotator cuff. lower/mid lats.   

Cardio seems to have gone out of the window at the moment. But I do like to do a few sets of wall climbers regularly (not necessarily everyday) to prevent my tidh getting saggy.   

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

Did you not feel that your muscle mass was deteriorating? Not talking about size here (which would naturally decrease after not training for a while) but tone and composition? 

I don't train like I might have done in my 20s or even late 30s now, but if I do nothing for a protracted period, I feel terrible, mentally and physically. 

Another thing is that I do physio stuff I never did as a youngster (using rubber bands), to hit smaller stabilising muscles like the rotator cuff. lower/mid lats.   

Cardio seems to have gone out of the window at the moment. But I do like to do a few sets of wall climbers regularly (not necessarily everyday) to prevent my tidh getting saggy.   

Easiest free cardio in the world is work your ass off. Lol. People be miserable work, getting fatter, looking lazy, I'm at the Bhagti Gym doing interval and circuit training breathing Naam. 

Love walking and running intervals instead of driving too. Hiking. 

3 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

NDid you not feel that your muscle mass was deteriorating? Not talking about size here (which would naturally decrease after not training for a while) but tone and composition? 

1) I use to follow the Sheikho Regimen. There are two things muscle size vs muscle density. The latter is more about strength, while the former is body building show off. All my muscle mass and strength is zero now. Muscle density last longer time.

2) You should meditate on ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ  at amrit vela and go for walks. This is best life. Our body is designed only and only for ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ meditation.

3) Rubber bands is great. I have so mant sitting here. I also use to do calisthenics on gymnastic rings. Google Iron Cross, One Arm push-up, etc, Ring dips, “Skin the cat”. 

4) Cardio is good. I use to ride bike upto 6੦ kms. Run 10k marathons. 

Basicalky, i use to be athletic. In my teenage I was fastest cricket bowler, lot of friends use to say - I will do good in professional cricket. I think I can be a good coach for young kids playing cricket.
 So final is, all these things are useless.

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Easiest free cardio in the world is work your ass off. Lol. People be miserable work, getting fatter, looking lazy, I'm at the Bhagti Gym doing interval and circuit training breathing Naam. 

Love walking and running intervals instead of driving too. Hiking. 

Please dont HIIT. This new-age hype is nothing but a myth. It can give you SERIOUS heart problems. Cardio done at high heart rates is not good. Google Maffetone Method- Thoroughly read and understand this method.

I practiced according to Maffetone Method. Then did a 10k marathon run in about little under 1 hour.

13 minutes ago, sevak said:

Please dont HIIT. This new-age hype is nothing but a myth. It can give you SERIOUS heart problems. Cardio done at high heart rates is not good. Google Maffetone Method- Thoroughly read and understand this method.

I practiced according to Maffetone Method. Then did a 10k marathon run in about little under 1 hour.

I'll look that up Hanji. I always listen to my body and only do what feels good. 

17 minutes ago, sevak said:

Google also irregular heart beat, atrial fibrillation —— very very very common in cardio athletes over 40. 

I had an electro cardio gram so good the dr looked at me wide eyed thankfully, but I will look into that. He was nodding approvingly, then I started the Gurmantar mentally and his eyes just went wide. Vaheguru. Who sustains our very life's breath. 

18 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I had an electro cardio gram so good the dr looked at me wide eyed thankfully, but I will look into that. He was nodding approvingly, then I started the Gurmantar mentally and his eyes just went wide. Vaheguru. Who sustains our very life's breath. 

Love reading your experiences with Gurmantr ! 

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Tell us more about this electro cardio gram bro. 

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

Tell us more about this electro cardio gram bro. 

Well I had collapsed after work like you might remember so I wound having one at the er some three days later. 

Quick bit on that, I tried for days to go to urgent care instead of er. And the urgent cares said no, we could only give you an ekg really, you have to go to the er. So I do finally. And what do they do for me? An ekg. Sigh. Just for like ten times the price. Thanks urgent care. 

Not much to tell really about the ekg. The er dr just said it was perfect. I could tell more about how he was looking at it and me than what he said. I should get a copy. 

20 hours ago, sevak said:

Rubber bands is great. I have so mant sitting here. I also use to do calisthenics on gymnastic rings. Google Iron Cross, One Arm push-up, etc, Ring dips, “Skin the cat”. 

I'd say at least keep certain movements alive. 

Just make sure you can still do a round of push ups every now and then. Do a few pull ups (don't have to do many, like 3-5 just to keep that movement alive in your body. Also dips, do a few of those. Make sure you can squat (with no weight) a few times all the way up and down. 

That really helps with mobility. 

I used to train with someone who has since given up training all together (in his 30s). He's in really bad shape now, and can't even do a single pull up or dip anymore.  

1 hour ago, sevak said:

And that is me 

Don't lose it completely bro. Be able to do a couple. Like I said before; helps with mobility. 

On 10/15/2021 at 6:17 PM, sevak said:

What is your source for this please, Ji?

HIIT seems to have been the 'big thing' in the past generation. 

6 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Too much or too extreme anything and it's no good. Intervals are fine, it's the level of exertion and lack of rest that make this hiit bad for somebody. 

I feel intervals are also not good.

ppl want to do HIIT bcoz of the adrenaline and feel good factor.

Pls read Dr. Maffetone research. Low Heart rate exercise done for long periods of time is the best and will improve your overall performance. Yiu need to focus on lowering your resting heart rate. In my peak my resting HR was 49. I ran 10K in under an hour by training the maffetone method and zero HIIT

17 minutes ago, sevak said:

I feel intervals are also not good.

ppl want to do HIIT bcoz of the adrenaline and feel good factor.

Pls read Dr. Maffetone research. Low Heart rate exercise done for long periods of time is the best and will improve your overall performance. Yiu need to focus on lowering your resting heart rate. In my peak my resting HR was 49. I ran 10K in under an hour by training the maffetone method and zero HIIT

You ever see what happens to your running speed that way? Gentle intervals are totally safe and effective. Aikido is done, with activity and then rest, and people do it until they're 90. It's just about how hard you push it. Don't push it. Effortlessly do things at a variety of speeds. You can even keep your heart rate steady for the most part doing it. But running for example is not good to do for extended periods, and the longer your runs the slower your pace and more skeletal damage you take. 

I use intervals to extend the distance I can do maffetone like training for while still hitting useable speeds. In nature. You have to sprint and run fast for periods of time. Long slow running really isn't the name of the game. 

The muscle groups for different strides are different it's not just cardio. 

The best way to explain this would be as follows:

Person A: Resting Heart Rate is 50bpm

Person B: Resting Heart Rate is 70bpm

If both ppl are made to run 10k at the same speed. Person A, will expend less energy. His heart rate will be lower versus person B. His heart will be working efficiently. 

When you practice LHR (Low Heart Rate training) you are increasing the efficiency of your heart by doing the relaxed pace more & more efficiently. If you are working out at HIIT, you are already maxed out.

Based on Maffetone method: 180-Age should be your max heart rate while training. 
This applies to running, cycling. May not apply to Akido, as Im not familiar.

I will later post dangers of HIIT. There are many victims in the community. Atrial Fibrillation is most common. Google “HIIT and Atrial fibrillation.”