Anger after Paath

Jageera

I've always felt the opposite after simran. It usually makes me feel more relaxed and peaceful.

Sounds like you have some unresolved issues that you've been suppressing that are coming out?  It could also be that now that you are coming off the drink and stuff your body is having withdrawal symptoms in this form? If you are having suppressed anger issues, family are usually the first to be on the receiving end because of their close proximity. 

Are the outbursts usually aimed at a particular family member, or just random? 

Use simran to calm the mind and thought processes. You have to let the thoughts waft away and disperse.  

Thanks for the reply.

No it's not aimed at anyone particular.I agree it could be the withdrawal and years of suppressed anger that I did not deal with and smoked and drank to get over the stress.But the explosion usually happens after prayers.

By Simran I mean just jap'ing Waheguru Waheguru fast continuously.I found that if I did this before reading Japji Sahib and Chaupai Sahib my mind does not wander much and I'm able to focus better.

Let thoughts waft away and disperse.That is the problem.They wont disperse no matter what I do.It's harassing me from inside since the moment I'm awake.

5 minutes ago, Jageera said:

Thanks for the reply.

No it's not aimed at anyone particular.I agree it could be the withdrawal and years of suppressed anger that I did not deal with and smoked and drank to get over the stress.But the explosion usually happens after prayers.

Let thoughts waft away and disperse.That is the problem.They wont disperse no matter what I do.It's harassing me from inside since the moment I'm awake.

It might be that now that you are not constantly numbing yourself with the substances, and are doing simran (one effect of which is to let the subconscious and suppressed conscious rise), you're finally having to face these emotions. 

My own personal experience has been that it takes a bit of time and practice to really let that stream of consciousness (it's like a babble of all things) disperse. That's one of the biggest challenges of simran - letting the thoughts go, and it does take practice, and you may well have ups and downs when you start trying this. 

As for the issues underlying the anger, you might want to gently confront these in your mind - at your own pace. Avoid triggers that set these outbursts out if possible. Go somewhere quiet until the feelings subside if possible.

By Simran I mean just jap'ing Waheguru Waheguru fast continuously.I found that if I did this before reading Japji Sahib and Chaupai Sahib my mind does not wander much and I'm able to focus better.

Try a different speed (slightly slower), and remember to come back to focusing on the sound of the jap when the mind wonders. It really helps to break the thinking process up a bit. If you start with just a few odd seconds away from the ramblings of the mind in your japing session then you're already actually making progress in disrupting the thoughts (whether you realise this or not). 

Try japping to audios as well. I like this from Dasam Bani for instance. I think it is gentle yet powerful. 

19 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

If you start with just a few odd seconds away from the ramblings of the mind in your japing session then you're already actually making progress in disrupting the thoughts (whether you realise this or not). 

By this you mean I should assume that it's my jap thats disrupting my thoughts and not the other way around?So I keep on going and the thoughts will lose and disappear someday?Nice point of view.Never thought of it that way.

19 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Try japping to audios as well. I like this from Dasam Bani for instance. I think it is gentle yet powerful. ïğżïğż

Simran can be any paath/mantra,not Gurmantar Waheguru only? Honestly I cant relate to any prayer audio with western accent,I don't know why. I prefer traditional punjabi recitation.I like something like this.

8 hours ago, Jageera said:

By this you mean I should assume that it's my jap thats disrupting my thoughts and not the other way around?So I keep on going and the thoughts will lose and disappear someday?Nice point of view.Never thought of it that way.

It will attenuate over time. They may not completely disappear but they will become more and more unimportant as you master letting go of the thoughts.

Simran can be any paath/mantra,not Gurmantar Waheguru only? Honestly I cant relate to any prayer audio with western accent,I don't know why. I prefer traditional punjabi recitation.I like something like this.

Brother, whatever works for you. This is an individualised journey. 

However I did find slowing it down and focusing on the syllables of Wahe (slow inhale) and then Guru (slow exhale) very helpful. I think we try a few different techniques at the beginning and find what suits us best. 

14 hours ago, Mooorakh said:

wat I realised is that when we do path it requires a lot of  our energy"Aakhan Aukha Sacha Naam".. we tend to loose patience easily and being mentally tired we react vigorously.  

Thanks for the reply.Good explanation.This could most probably be it,mental fatigue.

My first theory when this started to occur was my unclean mind and body was not able to handle the Shakti from the Paath/Simran and was vomiting it out through my emotions.

Now I think suppressed anger and mental fatigue could be the real reason.

9 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

However I did find slowing it down and focusing on the syllables of Wahe (slow inhale) and then Guru (slow exhale) very helpful. I think we try a few different techniques at the beginning and find what suits us best. 

Thanks for the reply. I was wanting to ask someone about this technique. So you inhale first,say Wahe and then say Guru and exhale? Because I cant inhale and say Wahe at the same time. I will usually breathe in and say Wahe then Guru and breathe out.And when you breathe in, do you take a full deep breath?

10 hours ago, Jageera said:

Thanks for the reply. I was wanting to ask someone about this technique. So you inhale first,say Wahe and then say Guru and exhale? Because I cant inhale and say Wahe at the same time. I will usually breathe in and say Wahe then Guru and breathe out.And when you breathe in, do you take a full deep breath?

Try this: Inhale through the nose (slowly and steadily) and say WA - HE (slowly in your mind), hold the breath in for a second or two and then slowly release the breath saying GU - RU (in your mind) - when you exhale the tip of your tongue should be resting on a spot just behind the back of your teeth. Whilst you are doing this keep your eyes closed and focus your eyes on a point on your temple about an inch above the bridge of your nose. 

REALLY FOCUS on the sound of the four syllables WA HE GU RU (in your mind). 

If you're not ready for this yet, you might have to do verbal simran for a bit (as opposed to quietly in your head). 

7 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Try this: Inhale through the nose (slowly and steadily) and say WA - HE (slowly in your mind), hold the breath in for a second or two and then slowly release the breath saying GU - RU (in your mind) - when you exhale the tip of your tongue should be resting on a spot just behindteh back of your teeth. Whilst you are doing this keep your eyes closed and focus your eyes on a point on your temple about an inch above the bridge of your nose. 

REALLY FOCUS on the sound of the four syllables WA HE GU RU (in your mind). 

If you're not ready for this yet, you might have to do verbal simran for a bit (as opposed to quietly in your head). 

Thanks for the reply Veerji.So inhale exhale both through the nose. By tongue behind teeth you mean upper gums?On the palate I can feel a line there.Place tongue there?Keep tongue there only when exhale or all the time while Simran?

20 minutes ago, Jageera said:

Thanks for the reply Veerji.So inhale exhale both through the nose. By tongue behind teeth you mean upper gums?On the palate I can feel a line there.Place tongue there?Keep tongue there only when exhale or all the time while Simran?

No brother: 

Inhale through the nose

Exhale through the mouth

Keep the tip of your tongue fixed at the point on the palate throughout the simran. 

19 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

No brother: 

Inhale through the nose

Exhale through the mouth

Keep the tip of your tongue fixed at the point on the palate throughout the simran. 

Ok got it Thanks.Will try it out today.So Ill just keep tongue tip on the end of the palate line behind the teeth.Any duration length you recommend for beginners?

Just now, Jageera said:

Ok got it Thanks.Will try it out today.So Ill just keep tongue tip on the end of the palate line behind the teeth.Any duration length you recommend for beginners?

I'm an advocate of incrementally building up the time. In any case I think intensity is more important than quantity. Start with 5 minutes and then build it up to 10, then 15, then 20 maybe. If your doing it and enjoying it, when you've finished your  session, add some more to it. 

Remember, you want to pierce through your thoughts. Once you inevitably find yourself drifting, refocus on the sound of syllables of Waheguru. 

A lot of people have some of their most intense experiences when they first start simran. 

Enjoy. And just let go of everything. 

5 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

I'm an advocate of incrementally building up the time. In any case I think intensity is more important than quantity. Start with 5 minutes and then build it up to 10, then 15, then 20 maybe. If your doing it and enjoying it, when you've finished your  session, add some more to it. 

Remember, you want to pierce through your thoughts. Once you inevitably find yourself drifting, refocus on the sound of syllables of Waheguru. 

A lot of people have some of their most intense experiences when they first start simran. 

Enjoy. And just let go of everything. 

Thanks alot veerji.Will start today itself.

10 hours ago, Jageera said:

Now I think suppressed anger and mental fatigue could be the real reason.

There is a guy who lives not too far from me. He is very quiet all the time now. I was  told that he used to do a lot of naam simran and could feel the pressure inside his head. An elder told him that he should get his head massaged with oil regularly to alleviate this pressure, but the young man didn't heed the advice and soon after had some kind of breakdown because of the intense naam simran he was doing.

I too get anger after visiting the Gurdwara and doing my paath or simran there. Like little things would suddenly really tick me off. I couldn’t understand why. Mental exhaustion/fatigue seems a reasonable explanation- it’d be the same after a long day at work.

I don’t experience it at home and this thread has also made me realise it doesn’t happen everytime I visit Guru’s ghar. Turns out that when I’m doing simran or paath at home, or at the Gurdwara during weekdays, I’m completely quiet and chilled afterwards as though I’ve just woken from a deep sleep. But when I do simran on sundays, I have to block out the noise of the sangat, the ragi and kirtan, or the granthi reciting bani. 

6 hours ago, jaikaara said:

is your speed very fast ? maybe having an effect on your blood pressure. 

My bp is above average. I wouldn't say very fast,just fast but still intelligible.

I'm just going to stick to veer Dalsinghs technique and breathe in and out while mentally reciting. Started at 5 minutes yesterday. I think i'll maintain at 5 minutes this week and increase by 5mins weekly if all goes well.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:30 AM, Jageera said:

Anyone ever experience this here?After doing any paath or simran I end up with  a lot of anger and blow up over little things.Once I lash out at someone,family member usually,I'm calm again.I notice this anger build up happens after prayers.Am I doing something wrong?

Try this BEFORE sitting for paath or simran.

1. Fill a small tub/bucket (so that you can dip your feet covering ankles) of Hot water.
  2. Put "Himalayan/Pink Salt" (1 table-spoon)
  3. Soak your feet in that water for 15-20 minutes (do NOT exceed 20 minutes and no less than 15 minutes).
  4. Now, dry your feet.
  5. Get rid of that water by pouring it down the toilet. Flush the toilet.
  6. Now, do the Simran and/or Path.

Hopefully, you'll see the difference in first sitting.

1 hour ago, das said:

Try this BEFORE sitting for paath or simran.

1. Fill a small tub/bucket (so that you can dip your feet covering ankles) of Hot water.
  2. Put "Himalayan/Pink Salt" (1 table-spoon)
  3. Soak your feet in that water for 15-20 minutes (do NOT exceed 20 minutes and no less than 15 minutes).
  4. Now, dry your feet.
  5. Get rid of that water by pouring it down the toilet. Flush the toilet.
  6. Now, do the Simran and/or Path.ïğż

Hopefully, you'll see the difference in first sitting.ïğż

Thanks for the reply. What is the purpose of this? Can I use normal cooking salt instead of pink salt?

Either use Himalayan salt or any other authentic Sea salt. In regards to the purpose, it will help you......I would say "Try it first and there's no harm and see if it helps".........If it helps, then research why and how it helped, there could be lot of reasons ranging from Minerals in the salt, Basic setup of body to Spiritual reasons, Removal of Negative energies etc. etc.......

11 hours ago, das said:

Either use Himalayan salt or any other authentic Sea salt. In regards to the purpose, it will help you......I would say "Try it first and there's no harm and see if it helps".........If it helps, then research why and how it helped, there could be lot of reasons ranging from Minerals in the salt, Basic setup of body to Spiritual reasons, Removal of Negative energies etc. etc.......

Ok thanks.Will try and update here the results