Sign in to follow this  
dalsingh101

Is studying Sikh history important/useful?

You know, a few of us here have been looking at SIkh ithihaas for a while now, and we've been blessed enough to be able to look at puratan sources outside of all the post-annexation stuff that most of us would have grown up with.

I'd like to discuss. Is it important and/or useful. If so - in which way? Why?

3 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

You know, a few of us here have been looking at SIkh ithihaas for a while now, and we've been blessed enough to be able to look at puratan sources outside of all the post-annexation stuff that most of us would have grown up with.

I'd like to discuss. Is it important and/or useful. If so - in which way? Why?

Veer ji its really important to learn our itihaas cos it helps us identify who we are and what our history is.

Also by learning more about our history culture we will pass the knowledge onto our families as well.

8 minutes ago, Soulfinder said:

Veer ji its really important to learn our itihaas cos it helps us identify who we are and what our history is.

Also by learning more about our history culture we will pass the knowledge onto our families as well.

Veer, do you ever feel that important aspects of our history were altered or hidden from us during the colonial period? 

41 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Veer, do you ever feel that important aspects of our history were altered or hidden from us during the colonial period? 

Yes veer ji i do feel that our history was changed during the colonial period. Cos it was during this time that banis were shortend such as Sri Rehras Sahib,Chupai Sahib etc. Also banis as Ugardanti,Bramh Kavach and many more banis was taken out of the Sri Dasam Granth Sahib only Sri Hazur Sahib and Budha Dal kept these banis preserved. 

Just now, Soulfinder said:

Yes veer ji i do feel that our history was changed during the colonial period. Cos it was during this time that banis were shortend such as Sri Rehras Sahib,Chupai Sahib etc. Also banis as Ugardanti,Bramh Kavach and many more banis was taken out of the Sri Dasam Granth Sahib only Sri Hazur Sahib and Budha Dal kept these banis preserved. 

Yeah, and overall Dasam Granth was subtly sidelined too during this period in my opinion. It's now like we are only just rediscovering it. 

23 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Yeah, and overall Dasam Granth was subtly sidelined too during this period in my opinion. It's now like we are only just rediscovering it. 

Yes veer ji also Sri Dasam Granth Sahib was done parkash at many gurdwaras in punjab including Sri Darbar Sahib but it was removed during the colonial time. 

Its good that we are getting information now about what has been lost about our history. 

Also i remember hearing was that the size of sri sahibs kirpans was changed as well along with the beard tying trend as well was started during this time.

1 minute ago, Soulfinder said:

Yes veer ji also Sri Dasam Granth Sahib was done parkash at many gurdwaras in punjab including Sri Darbar Sahib but it was removed during the colonial time. 

Its good that we are getting information now about what has been lost about our history. 

Also i remember hearing was that the size of sri sahibs kirpans was changed as well along with the beard tying trend as well was started during this time.

Bhai ji, it was panj shasters/hathiars before - not just a Sri Sahib. 

Just now, dalsingh101 said:

Bhai ji, it was panj shasters/hathiars before - not just a Sri Sahib. 

I didn't know that veer ji thanks for letting me know. But it was quite a lot of censorship that was placed on our religion itihaas and maryada as well since they made panth maryada which nobody believes as it has many wrong ideas in.

3 minutes ago, Soulfinder said:

I didn't know that veer ji thanks for letting me know. But it was quite a lot of censorship that was placed on our religion itihaas and maryada as well since they made panth maryada which nobody believes as it has many wrong ideas in.

684199898_panjhathiar.png.e940ce89f4746e32bf0d8eeea5a6f0b0.png