Sign in to follow this  
chatanga1

How did the Sikhs loot Nadir Shah's army?

I have been reading about the Koh i Noor over the last few days. There is little information on who actually attacked Nadir's army. Nadir's army had so much loot that they took from Delhi.

This is the actual page from the book:

image.thumb.png.9c383263346c2ed4d39d312bbaef50c1.png

The reference to bare bottomed peasants I think is refering to the Sikhs who wore cholas and no pyjamas. I think the reference is to the lower half of their body not being covered.

http://ignca.gov.in/Asi_data/21254.pdf

In the above PDF go to page 17 and read on. There are only about 3 or 4 pages to read. It is a PDF of a translation of the original Persian written by a Kashmiri man who accompanied Nadir on his return from Delhi. He also does not name the Sikhs as such but just calls them the "inhabitants" of that country. It's very interesting to read how those "inhabitants" actually looted nadir's army on the Chenab.  Also it states that Zakaria Khan was with Nadir at the time of his return through Panjab, which has been recorded by Bhai Rattan Singh Bhangu in the famous conversation between the two which is often quoted by the Sikhs.

48 minutes ago, chatanga1 said:

I have been reading about the Koh i Noor over the last few days. There is little information on who actually attacked Nadir's army. Nadir's army had so much loot that they took from Delhi.

This is the actual page from the book:

image.thumb.png.9c383263346c2ed4d39d312bbaef50c1.png

The reference to bare bottomed peasants I think is refering to the Sikhs who wore cholas and no pyjamas. I think the reference is to the lower half of their body not being covered.

http://ignca.gov.in/Asi_data/21254.pdf

In the above PDF go to page 17 and read on. There are only about 3 or 4 pages to read. It is a PDF of a translation of the original Persian written by a Kashmiri man who accompanied Nadir on his return from Delhi. He also does not name the Sikhs as such but just calls them the "inhabitants" of that country. It's very interesting to read how those "inhabitants" actually looted nadir's army on the Chenab.  Also it states that Zakaria Khan was with Nadir at the time of his return through Panjab, which has been recorded by Bhai Rattan Singh Bhangu in the famous conversation between the two which is often quoted by the Sikhs.

Hmmm...why would Zakira Khan ask for the release of the Indian prisoners? Where these the people he kidnapped to try and build a city in Persia?

58 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Hmmm...why would Zakira Khan ask for the release of the Indian prisoners? Where these the people he kidnapped to try and build a city in Persia?

Nadir took 3 groups of people with him to Persia. The first group was the skilled workers, the artisans/craftsmen who had built, but by this time, largely maintained the Moghal buildings. The 2nd group was the women who he had married (perhaps forcibly) to his soldiers. I'm guessing these would include both hindu and muslim. The 3rd group was the people who had been captured to be slaves. Only from this group were some released.

I'm not sure why Zakaria asked for the release of some captives. I think that either they were Muslims or that they may have belonged to some class or had some skills that Zakaria needed. It could just have been out of pity as well. It's certainly interesting though.

4 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

. It is a PDF of a translation of the original Persian written by a Kashmiri man who accompanied Nadir on his return from Delhi. He also does not name the Sikhs as such but just calls them the "inhabitants" of that country. It's very interesting to read how those "inhabitants" actually looted nadir's army on the Chenab.  Also it states that Zakaria Khan was with Nadir at the time of his return through Panjab, which has been recorded by Bhai Rattan Singh Bhangu in the famous conversation between the two which is often quoted by the Sikhs.

Was this in J.S.Grewal's Persian Sources book?

22 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Was this in J.S.Grewal's Persian Sources book?

No. I've just had a look through that today but was quite surprised to see there is nothing there from between the decades of Baba Banda Bahadur's shaheedi, 1710s and the emergence of the Sikhs as a competing power around 1750s.

Obviously there are more sources but maybe they are not focused on the Sikhs too much to have warranted it making it into grewals book.

Does anyone have "Sicques Tigers and Thieves" ?

14 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

No. I've just had a look through that today but was quite surprised to see there is nothing there from between the decades of Baba Banda Bahadur's shaheedi, 1710s and the emergence of the Sikhs as a competing power around 1750s.

Obviously there are more sources but maybe they are not focused on the Sikhs too much to have warranted it making it into grewals book.

Does anyone have "Sicques Tigers and Thieves" ?

Yeah I agree. Unless it explicitly mentioned Sikhs he wouldn't have put it in. I think things might have gone quiet in that period between Banda SIngh and the 1750s. Singh's must have been operating in gupt, and consolidating themselves. 

I've got that  "Sicques Tigers and Thieves" somewhere. 

On 4/7/2019 at 7:42 PM, dalsingh101 said:

This gives us a clue (from Sikhs of the 18th Century by Surjit Singh Gandhi):

image.thumb.png.eb675e4a3eef0bf321bcd0a34f656dfd.png

8 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Yeah I agree. Unless it explicitly mentioned Sikhs he wouldn't have put it in. I think things might have gone quiet in that period between Banda SIngh and the 1750s. Singh's must have been operating in gupt, and consolidating themselves. 

I've got that  "Sicques Tigers and Thieves" somewhere. 

Dig it out and have a look if there is any info about this topic.

Really good thread created veer jis i have also found that suleman ghost had originally come to india via iran nadar shah. Its written in the 16 page pdf of the story.

Here is a screenshot of the wording. It is also in the audio conversation but i have not listened to it fully yet

Screenshot_20190411-192619_Chrome.jpg