Sikhs vs ISIS (video)

dalsingh101

5 hours ago, Jageera said:

These Sikhs are doing a great service by raising awareness on this issue.More power to them. Thank you DalSingh Veerji too for keeping us updated.

No need to thank me veera. I'm just posting a link. 

It's really good to see the younger generation being proactive like this. We should all note how these guys aren't doing the usual small minded bull5hit apnay get up to. 

6 hours ago, Jageera said:

Please elaborate. Are you talking about victim blaming and cover ups because of the family's so called izzat?

Yes, but not only that, but wasting time showing off, riding around in big cars blaring bhangra out. Obsessing about materialistic things and your caste whilst being blind to the panth being attacked. Being too scared to confront authority but trying to act like big men. 

All the dikhaavaah stuff apnay get up too. Petty one-upmanship between each other and ignoring what outsiders are doing like an ostrich. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12598847

On 5/22/2019 at 6:28 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Yes, but not only that, but wasting time showing off, riding around in big cars blaring bhangra out. Obsessing about materialistic things and your caste whilst being blind to the panth being attacked. Being too scared to confront authority but trying to act like big men. 

All the dikhaavaah stuff apnay get up too. Petty one-upmanship between each other and ignoring what outsiders are doing like an ostrich. 

How do we change this behaviour Veerji? Any suggestions. If you are free you should start writing an article on this issue with criticisms and solutions step by step. We could make it a group project here with all contributing. Would love to hear more on this.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:40 PM, Jageera said:

How do we change this behaviour Veerji? Any suggestions. If you are free you should start writing an article on this issue with criticisms and solutions step by step. We could make it a group project here with all contributing. Would love to hear more on this.

Not trying to be pessimistic but, if we look at it realistically, it is near impossible. The thing is everyone blames each other and ignore their own faults. I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone on this forum, rather I'm just saying that in general people turn a blind eye to their faults while blaming others for the same. That is where the problem starts. Cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy seem to be rather big issues, in general. I think the world would be a much better place, if instead of ridiculing  eachother for faults, we focus on improving ourselves and encouraging eachother to do the same. I believe any solution is ineffective if we aren't willing to change ourselves, first, otherwise we are the biggest problem as we are doing exactly what we are opposing, this is hipocrisy and cognitive dissonance. Understanding and communication is also important among people. 

Further, people seem to have a rather messed up moral compass. I'm still trying to observe this behaviour. If someone is in a position of authority or in a position recognised as 'holy', people automatically assume that that person is indeed faultless. I think people tend to think in terms of black and white, they don't necessarily know what righteouness is. Righteouness is to oppose corrupt authority not to respect the same. Believe it or not, some people think that respecting authority even if they are corrupt, is morally right compared to opposing them. That is just one example among many that indicates people know not morals. It is indeed a crooked world we live in.

All in all, what I wish to say is that people who are major partakers of a problem are often ignorant of their part in the same. They very frequently tend to ignore their own faults. The main thing would be to bring greater awareness on their impact on the problem. This is very hard. People will find it painful to see their own faults, it's like medicine, bitter and detestable but it is the solution. For example, if we take the bangra dancers or the booze gurglers into account, I doubt they will see much wrong with their actions. If they do, it is cognitive dissonance. Therefore, most problems stem from internal feuds or ego. 

On 5/27/2019 at 7:25 PM, tva prasad said:

Not trying to be pessimistic but, if we look at it realistically, it is near impossible. The thing is everyone blames each other and ignore their own faults. I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone on this forum, rather I'm just saying that in general people turn a blind eye to their faults while blaming others for the same. That is where the problem starts. Cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy seem to be rather big issues, in general. I think the world would be a much better place, if instead of ridiculing  eachother for faults, we focus on improving ourselves and encouraging eachother to do the same. I believe any solution is ineffective if we aren't willing to change ourselves, first, otherwise we are the biggest problem as we are doing exactly what we are opposing, this is hipocrisy and cognitive dissonance. Understanding and communication is also important among people. 

Further, people seem to have a rather messed up moral compass. I'm still trying to observe this behaviour. If someone is in a position of authority or in a position recognised as 'holy', people automatically assume that that person is indeed faultless. I think people tend to think in terms of black and white, they don't necessarily know what righteouness is. Righteouness is to oppose corrupt authority not to respect the same. Believe it or not, some people think that respecting authority even if they are corrupt, is morally right compared to opposing them. That is just one example among many that indicates people know not morals. It is indeed a crooked world we live in.

All in all, what I wish to say is that people who are major partakers of a problem are often ignorant of their part in the same. They very frequently tend to ignore their own faults. The main thing would be to bring greater awareness on their impact on the problem. This is very hard. People will find it painful to see their own faults, it's like medicine, bitter and detestable but it is the solution. For example, if we take the bangra dancers or the booze gurglers into account, I doubt they will see much wrong with their actions. If they do, it is cognitive dissonance. Therefore, most problems stem from internal feuds or ego. 

I hear what you are saying but doing nothing would be worse than doing something and not succeeding. It will take time and many failures to achieve any significant result.We would really be in trouble when our panth stops trying.

The least that we can do as a community would be protecting our young girls from exploitation and sexual grooming, keeping males away from drugs etc and a community support network that protects the community from outside hostility. What is the point of everything else when we are failing at the basics.

On 5/23/2019 at 2:40 PM, Jageera said:

This is a multifaceted problem brother. Problems stem not only from within the panth, but also from outside. I think as a start, we should start honestly discussing Sikhi and separating it from the casteist stuff that has wrapped itself around it (itself the product of insidious influences). I think that Jagjit Singh book I posted is a good source to help us re-align things as well as explain why things are like they are. 

We need to re scribe the whole political narrative of Sikhs too. And get rid of issues that crept in during colonialism, like that ghulaam mentality and the whole bhangra balle-balle obsession. We need to get rid of the rural barn-dance  jamboree culture and replace with more sophisticated pursuits.  

On 5/29/2019 at 11:25 PM, Jageera said:

I hear what you are saying but doing nothing would be worse than doing something and not succeeding. It will take time and many failures to achieve any significant result.We would really be in trouble when our panth stops trying.

The least that we can do as a community would be protecting our young girls from exploitation and sexual grooming, keeping males away from drugs etc and a community support network that protects the community from outside hostility. What is the point of everything else when we are failing at the basics.

That is the whole point, we are failing at the basics. The mentality of our people is the problem and hard to fix. 

You are right, giving up is not the answer, neither am I advising the same. I'm suggesting that we start with fixing our own mentality as also encourage our friends. I think if we have a respectable character we will be able to help others fix themselves. I see hypocrisy, cognitive dissonance and dishonesty as the problems as there are people who say one thing and do another. They are the ones that hold high and respectable positions. Further there is this whole 'family reputation' crap as opposed to daughter's wellbeing when it comes to the grooming of our daughters and sisters. That mentality has to go if we want to advance to do something about this problem. 

All in all, I think we should start at fixing the mentality of our people by first starting with ourselves and those around us. I believe our mentality is the reason of most problems. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 10:12 PM, dalsingh101 said:

I agree that widespread mentalities are a  root cause of this. And it is 'respectable' people in positions that the ahhm junta look up to, that cowardly turn a blind eye, or underplay what goes on. 

I mean look at that Huddersfield grooming case where one of the leaders of the groomers (Dhaliwal) had a grandfather that was a Gurdwara pardaan. 

If all the stuff about gorian being groomed didn't blow up - I still believe most of our 'respectable' elders would still pretend this doesn't happen to us on the scale it does. I get a feeling they would rather this all blew away so they can get on with the usual rubbish they get up to. 

I think some subtle but deep- rooted insecurity about poverty amongst our lot plays a part too btw. They are so obsessed with appearing a certain way and keeping up with the Jones, that they blind themselves to serious family security measures as a consequence. 

Yes, I agree with you. It is a very sad reality, indeed. Sometimes, the best we can do is bring about awareness, but people believe what they want to believe. As I gain more and more experience, the more I realise how helpless we are as individuals, sometimes. We are forced to witness all these horrible acts and can do nothing about them. The corrupt rule, the masses follow like sheep, revering them as if they are superhuman. People who oppose the corrupt rule are looked down upon. 

Yes, I agree regarding the Huddersfield grooming case- these people who represent the community don't care at all. It's utterly disgusting! We, as a community are experts at ignoring such sensitive issues. 

I agree with you on your last point as well. An inferiority complex among our people is quite a problem. Would you put strict parenting or a lack thereof into the equation as well? I've seen kids in relationships without their parents having a single clue about it. It's heartbreaking to see the types of things kids get to behind their parents' backs, including drugs and stuff.  But yes, keeping up with the times and trying to look cool has certainly taken a backseat to morals and family among our youth. It's detrimental to our future as they are our future. I think the best thing our community can do is focus on the youth, before it's too late. 

On 6/16/2019 at 2:10 PM, Soulfinder said:

I found this video on youtube today and i was really shocked. Its because of these type of videos that everyone thinks sikh are a easy target. 

Brother there is no way to know if this is actually true or not. We don't even know if this 'convert' had a basic level grasp of his heritage in the first place either.