Privately-educated student doctor, 20, fell to her death from first floor balcony inside John Lewis store after suffering from anorexia and exam stress

• Medical student Hannah Bharaj, 20, died after falling from a balcony 
  • Her inquest heard she developed anorexia as a result of being highly stressed
  • She was rushed to hospital after the fall but was pronounced dead the day after
  • Her inquest is due to continue for five days  in Stockport, Greater Manchester

15532068-0-image-a-9_1562074702751.jpg

Medical student Hannah Bharaj, pictured with her father Harry, right, fell to her death on July 12 last year having completed her second year of medical studies

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7205149/Student-doctor-suffering-anorexia-fell-death.html

• 2 years later...
On 7/2/2019 at 3:50 PM, dalsingh101 said:
  • Medical student Hannah Bharaj, 20, died after falling from a balcony 
  • Her inquest heard she developed anorexia as a result of being highly stressed
  • She was rushed to hospital after the fall but was pronounced dead the day after
  • Her inquest is due to continue for five days  in Stockport, Greater Manchester

15532068-0-image-a-9_1562074702751.jpg

Medical student Hannah Bharaj, pictured with her father Harry, right, fell to her death on July 12 last year having completed her second year of medical studies

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7205149/Student-doctor-suffering-anorexia-fell-death.html

'Hannah' is a strange name for someone with a Sikh dad. 

There was a Sikh named lad who hanged himself when I was at Uni but didn't know him or the story of it.

She looks mixed maybe, and the Mum's name is 'Sarah'

I think desi parents should learn from cases like this, that 'achievements' are not everything. It's also unusual for women to do suicide by this method

https://expressdigest.com/heartbroken-parents-tell-inquest-they-watched-anorexic-daughter-plunge-to-her-death/

On July 12 last year, a day after completing her second year at Birmingham University, she fell from an internal balcony at John Lewis’s Handforth Dean branch near Cheadle, Greater Manchester. She died in hospital the following day.

At the time of her death, she was a residential patient at the nearby Priory psychiatric hospital seeking treatment for her eating disorder and mental health problems.

Her parents Harminder and Sarah Bharaj told an inquest of the horrifying moment Hannah, from Bolton, got up from the table saying she was going to buy another drink before ‘walking briskly’ to the balcony 20ft away.

She attended the prestigious Manchester High School for Girls where she excelled in Science, English and Drama, but she had ‘high standards’ and would often become stressed when she felt she couldn’t meet them.

Her father, Harry Bharaj from Bolton, told the Stockport hearing: ‘I think her stress was related to her own aspirations and her high standards, she said herself she was determined to get 10 A*s in her GCSEs which is no mean feat.’

Mr Bharaj said his daughter found the transition from GCSE to A-Level difficult, but had set herself a target of getting four As with at least one A*. 

She finished with one A*, two As and a B.  

He said: ‘She tried to get into medical school and she was rejected and this had a big impact on her when she found out about her B and also she didn’t get into the medical school of her choice.’ 

The hearing was told Ms Bharaj’s grandfather, to whom she was close, passed away in the first few weeks of term. She returned to university the day after his funeral and barely spoke about his death to friends.

Her mother, Sarah Bharaj added: ‘She was quite quiet and reserved. She was quieter than normal. She was doing OK at university.

‘When she went back in January she was more anxious. She was upset on the phone about work and whether she was going to keep up.

5 hours ago, Premi said:

She looks mixed maybe, and the Mum's name is 'Sarah'

I think desi parents should learn from cases like this, that 'achievements' are not everything. It's also unusual for women to do suicide by this method

https://expressdigest.com/heartbroken-parents-tell-inquest-they-watched-anorexic-daughter-plunge-to-her-death/

It's such a shame the girl topped herself over exams.........

I think people need to be careful if they have children that are 'highly anxious' types. 

Also as an aside, what kind of name is Harry? Short for Harpreet or something? I noticed as well, on another thread you posted, that Simon Singh's siblings all had coconut names too. It's not a good sign when an apna father does this. Usually they'll do other fudhoo moves with it - like send the kids to CofE schools - then they are confused as f*** about their identity. Often can't speak Panjabi - and it's like the father has purposefully distanced them from their Panjabi heritage to make them more palatable to the white mainstream. 

5 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

I think people need to be careful if they have children that are 'highly anxious' types. 

Also as an aside, what kind of name is Harry? Short for Harpreet or something? I noticed as well, on another thread you posted, that Simon Singh's siblings all had coconut names too. It's not a good sign when an apna father does this. Usually they'll do other fudhoo moves with it - like send the kids to CofE schools - then they are confused as f*** about their identity. Often can't speak Panjabi - and it's like the father has purposefully distanced them from their Panjabi heritage to make them more palatable to the white mainstream. 

Sending your kid to a coe school is child endangerment. Have we learned nothing? Seriously. 

I mean, our kids deserve a private, home and Gurudwara based education. 

But that aside, coe? Bro. No way. 

19 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

14 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Sending your kid to a coe school is child endangerment. Have we learned nothing? Seriously. 

I mean, our kids deserve a private, home and Gurudwara based education. 

But that aside, coe? Bro. No way. 

When I went to school, we used to sing hymns, lol, it didn't do me any harm. But it was around this time when I think, non denominational schools moved away from doing. 

We used to sing hymns like 'kumbiya' and 'he's got the whole world in his hands...' , lol. They had nice meanings and I don't mind them. Private schooling even basic ones are not cheap here. I think many 'upwardly mobile' families do send their kids to these schools, many of which have some Christian ethos. 

Harry is probably short for something with the prefix 'Har-'. You must know that loads of Punjabis have nicknames like Harry , Garry, Happy, Lucky and so on derived from their Panjabi name

Re Simon Singh. One of the siblings is 'Christine' ! That is a Christian name as is possible ! They lived in some really remote, rural area. Wonder if the parents wanted the kids to 'fit in' so gave them typical Biblical names ? You are right though, they probably grew up very confused. Funnily, I think once you're in your 30's or even a little later, most will go back to their roots in some way. It's why I don't think many 'inter-racial' marriages will work in the long term. Who's to say some apna or apni who is only socially Sikh or Hindu etc won't have 'an awakening ' at some point and then regret their marriage choice (unless their partner also follows that path)

2 minutes ago, Premi said:

When I went to school, we used to sing hymns, lol, it didn't do me any harm. But it was around this time when I think, non denominational schools moved away from doing. 

We used to sing hymns like 'kumbiya' and 'he's got the whole world in his hands...' , lol. They had nice meanings and I don't mind them. Private schooling even basic ones are not cheap here. I think many 'upwardly mobile' families do send their kids to these schools, many of which have some Christian ethos. 

I grew up like that too. We used to have to sing hymns in assembly most mornings. I don't have any issues with that per se, what I was referring to was the purposeful distancing from Sikhi and/or even just their Panjabi roots certain overly ambitious apna parents seem to foist on their children.

It's robbing the children. They (the kids) should have the choice to leave it all behind as adults, the choice shouldn't be made for them as children. I've met some who resent their parents for this.     

7 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

I grew up like that too. We used to have to sing hymns in assembly most mornings. I don't have any issues with that per se, what I was referring to was the purposeful distancing from Sikhi and/or even just their Panjabi roots certain overly ambitious apna parents seem to foist on their children.

It's robbing the children. They (the kids) should have the choice to leave it all behind as adults, the choice shouldn't be made for them as children. I've met some who resent their parents for this.     

It's true. My parents lived in gore areas in East London in their first years here, and except for me and a cousin, our parents and older siblings all had anglo names at one time , to fit in!