STORIES OF BHAGAT JAN AND GURU SAHIBAN

harsharan000

WONDERS IN A GLANCE OF MEHER, OF GURU JEE

During one of his mission to enlighten people,  Guru Nanak Dev Maharaj traveled a great distance to the wilderness of Assam with his companions, Bala and Mardana. Mardana was very hungry and tired, so they sat under a tree. After sometime, Mardana went to get something to eat.

On his way he met Kauda, the cannibal. Kauda took Mardana by surprise and bounded his hand and foot by a rope and then carried him to the spot where he had kept a big pan full of oil for frying the flesh of his victims. Kauda started to lighten fire under the pan. When Mardana saw Kauda preparing to butcher him, he was very frightened and prayed to Guru Ji to come to his rescue.

The all-knowing Guru realized what was happening to Mardana. He started walking towards Kauda’s place in order to rescue Mardana.

Kauda was trying to light the fire when Guru ji appeared. Kauda was completely bewildered. He went towards the Guru and tied him as well. He lit the fire and within minutes the oil was burning hot.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji said that he wants be the first one to be fried. Kauda was astonished and surprise. He had never seen anyone like Guru Nanak before. Kauda carried on his routine and lifted Guru Ji to be put him in the big pan.

When the Guru’s feet touched the hot oil, it became cold as ice.

Kauda then knew that Guru Nanak Dev Ji was not an ordinary person. Guru Ji looked at Kauda with compassion and graciously and said, "Kauda! You do not realize what you are doing. Would you cast yourself in the burning fire of hell?"

Kauda, whose conscience was dead with heinous crimes, suddenly came to realization and was overwhelmed with repentance. The very gracious and holy sight of the divine Guru made him realize his guilt and he fell at Guru’s feet and begged for mercy. The gracious Guru blessed him with Naam, the meditation on the Name of God.

Kauda changed entirely and thereafter lived as a devout disciple of Guru Nanak Dev Ji.

He became an honest person and a devotee of God.

Why does God Himself helps His Devotees?

Once a king in India went to Guru Nanak Dev Maharaj and asked, “O Guru! As you told us that God Himself supports His true worshiper, but God has so many apostles, why does He support His devotees Himself?

Why does not He send His apostles to help the devotees?”

As he said this, his own son who was playing at the bank of a nearby river slipped in the river. The king did not waited for a second, and jumped in the river right after his son to save his child.

After saving his child he returned to the Guru.

The Guru asked, “My dear friend, you were sitting here with me a minute ago and why did you jump in the river?”

King explained that his son had slipped in the river and he went to save him.

Then the Guru asked, “Dear friend, you have so many servants then why did you jumped in the river by yourself? Why did not you send you servants to save him?”

The King said, “When it come to my son. I do not want to take any chances and would do anything it takes to protect him. I love my son very much and I do not want to lose him at any cost.”

Then Guru Ji said: “My dear friend, God loves His devotees the same way as you love your son.

That is why he Himself saves His true worshipper.”

Sat Sree Akal.

SWEETNESS OF GURU HAR KRISHAN

Guru Har Rai, 7th Patshahee had two sons.

The older one was called Baba Ram Rai, and he was very smart.

The younger one was called Baba HarKrishan, and he was very sweet with a divine light.

Both the boys were reading from the teachings, the Adi Granth and they looked so innocent and so devoted.  

Someone asked the Guru, “great Guru, both of your children are very handsome, they’re both very intelligent, and both are very spiritual & humble. How can you possibly decide which one will be the next Guru?”

Guru ji came with him to where the two boys were, and told him to do a test as the boys were reading from the Adi Granth.

“Take a needle to the table where they are reading the Granth Sahib. Try to poke the needle into the wood of that table. If it is read with love everything will become soft and the needle will easily go in.” "

And the man replied, "yes Sir, Wahe Guru!"

So the man saw the younger son, Baba HarKrishan, reading, “Ik Ongkar, SatGurPrasaad, slok Mahula Panjvaa..." 

Baba HarKrishan read with great devotion and love. As the boy was reading the man came to the wood table and slowly put the needle there. It went in, smoothly, as if the wood was made out of wax!

And the Guru said, "HarKrishan my son, please explain to everyone the meaning of what you just read." Then Guru HarKrishan replied, “Yes father, God is in every heart! Once the heart remembers it’s home it is happy and we are God...” 

Baba HarKrishan´s explanation filled everyone with bliss. People were blown away. Then the older brother Baba Ram Rai took the seat and started reading the same section, “Ik Ongkar, SatGurPrasaad, slok Mahula Panjvaa...”

RamRai read very beautifully and sweetly too. As he was reading the man tried to pull the needle out of the wood... "Let me just, uhhh hummm uhh, it wont come out!" But it was stuck, it wouldn't come out! The wood had gone back to being hard, just like normal. 

The Guru said, "Ram Rai my son, please explain to everyone the meaning of what you just read." And Ram Rai replied, "Yes father, his section was rather eloquently explaining something you may well want to understand. The chatrik  bird is famed for it’s particular behavior......" 

Baba Ram Rai's explanation was very convincing and everyone was so impressed. Guru ji then asked the boys to read another random section, which they did.

Baba HarKrishan started reading, “Ik ­ong kār sat nam karṯa purakẖ nirbẖa­o nirvair akal murat ajuni saibhang gur parshad jap aad sach jugaadh sach hai bhee sach nanak hosee bhee sach". This time the man tried to take out the needle out of the wood, it came out smoothly without any effort, he said, "Huhahah, Wahe Guru! Wahe Guru! How did this happen? It is so beautiful! Wahe Guru!"

How did the wood melt?

Why did it become soft like wax?

Why could the needle only come in or out when Baba HarKrishan read?

No one else seemed too sure which of the boys would be the next Guru but a few people now knew.

They saw with their own eyes which of the boys had more love. Later it became known that Baba RamRai had spiritual powers. He could read minds, he knew about people’s past lives, he could make correct predictions about when someone would die, he could become weightless & he could make jewels appear out of thin air, he could make himself invisible so one one could see him, and many many other things. Many people were amazed at him and thought he was a great holy man, but they were only looking on the outside, they weren't looking on the inside.  

Baba HarKrishan’s love was his super power. His miracle was inside. When someone is loving it just melts your heart.

HarKrishan’s love melted many people’s hearts, it melted everything around, it melted everything he touched, it even melted wood.

Baba Harkrishan became the next Guru, when he was 5 years old.

He became Guru HarKrishan, the child Guru.

Can anyone imagine a 5 year old boy, being a great leader of people?

Guru HarKrishan was truly a great leader.

* It had to be so about His sweetness and leadership, as He was Wahiguru Akal Purukh Himself.

Sat Sree Akal.

Krishna story: Tukarams 108 bats in Ganga!

Once Tukkaramji the great saint was sitting near the bank of Ganges and doing bhajans.

There was an envious person who wanted to disturb Tukkaram.

To provoke him to fight, he spit on his face.

Tukkaram got up, went to the river, took a holy dip and came back to the bank and continued with his bhajans.

The man repeated the spitting 108 times.

Every time Tukkaram went and took a dip and came back to the river bank and continued chanting, without getting irritated or angry.

In the end, the envious man got very fed up and he asked, “How come you are not becoming angry?”

Tukaram replied, “Why should I become angry? I should actually thank you. Because of your mercy, I took bath 108 times in the Ganges.”

Moral of the story:

Usually we find it comfortable or easy to thank people who help us in favourable manner.

But if someone offends or scolds us, we only feel angry with them and there is no question saying “thank you”.

In the above incident we see that Tukkaram always saw Krishna’s hand in every experience.

So he could tolerate even the other person spitting on him, took it as an opportunity to take holy dip in the Ganges and thanked the other person who was spitting on him.

So without blaming others, if we think calmly then we can realise every experience in life, be it good or bad is a lesson for us to learn. So we should be thankful in both cases.

“What to speak of 24 Gurus? We can have millions of Gurus. Infact we can learn something from everyone and hence, in that sense, everything and everybody in this world is our Guru.

If we are humble and sincere, Krishna will reveal all the transcendental knowledge through all the different entities in this world.”

Such sanity of mind is possible only under the guidance of spiritual master.

So we should always take shelter of such mahatmas, remember their glorious lives and silently observe the various experiences and learn the different kinds of lessons which Krishna has in store for us in this life-time.

Day in and day out we come across so many different kinds of people, different situations and thereby have different kinds of experiences. These experiences have a great impact on our life.

Specifically the experiences which we have in our childhood, have a great impact on our future behaviour and character.

We have seen in many households how when the parents are short-tempered or drunkards or chain-smokers, it affects the children in different ways.

If there is proper guidance for the child, either from elderly person in the family or a teacher, then even though the child is exposed to these difficult situations it learns the lesson of how not to behave.

Whereas in the absence of proper guidance, children tend to take up the same bad traits in their life as they grow old.

As the saying goes experience is the best teacher.

Be it good or bad, every experience has a lesson for us. Good experience teaches us how we should behave and bad experience teaches us how we should not behave.

Lord Krishna says in Bhagavad Gita verse 16.6

dvau bhuta sargau loke’smin / daiva aasura eva ca
daivo vistarashah prokta / aasuram paartha me shrnu

“O son of Prthaa, in this world there are two kinds of created beings. One is called the divine and the other demoniac. I have already explained to you at length the divine qualities. Now hear from Me of the demoniac.”

In scriptures like Bhagavad Gita and Bhagavatam also, Lord Krishna is mercifully showing us both categories of people.

From devotees of the Lord, we can learn how to serve the Lord and His devotees.

From demoniac people we can learn what are all the qualities, which we need to give-up, so that we could serve the Lord in favourable manner.

So when we meet divine people we should thank them for showing us how to live in this world. And when we come across other kind of people, we should still thank them for showing us how not to behave.

Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji

Once, a Sikh made a request before the Guru Ji, "O true King! I am grieved by the world. Eliminate the pain of birth and death. Save me from sins. I am in your protection. I am illiterate".

Guru Ji said, "Brother Sikh! You are blessed that you became detached (from the world). An fool cannot get sense without education. One should get education. An uneducated person cannot understand anything. The God meets him, whose pronunciation of 'Bani' is perfect. Brother! Do study.

Guru Ji asked the 'Granthi' to teach that Sikh with love. The 'Granthi' started to teach him. While teaching, he taught him this line of Anand Sahib prayer, "Anand bhya meree maaye, Satguroo main paaya." (The heavenly pleasure occurred, O my mother, for I have found my True Guru).

The Sikh recited this line with love and went reciting it. Sometimes, he would eat from 'langar' (the community kitchen). His faith increased reciting this line.

After six months, Guru Ji asked the Granthi, "Did he learn?"

He replied, "He did not return after learning one line."

Guru Ji called for that Sikh and asked, "You were sent to learn."

He replied with folded hands, "Guru Ji! One line is enough. When the True Guru has been found, 'Anand' is gotten. (Without getting the 'Anand') more reciting is the act of 'Bemukhs'."

Guru Ji smiled and said, "You are 'nihaal' (bliss). Your cycle of birth and death has been curtailed.

Guru Har Krishan Sahib Ji and the Brahman

While Guru Ji was at Panjokhara and mediating on God, a Sikh came and told him of a proud Brahman who was in the neighbourhood.

The Brahman had asked the Guru’s name and learned that it was Satguru Sri Guru Har Krishan Sahib Ji. Hearing this the Brahman became very angry and said, ‘The poet of the Bhagavat Gita, whom no one can equal, called God merely Krishan, and the Guru calls himself Sri Har Krishan, as if he thinks himself superior to Krishan. If he be such a Guru let him come and translate the Gita with me’.

Guru Ji replied to this Sikh, ‘ The eyes of understanding are very good, but the cataract of pride so blindeth them that they cannot see God’s way. The proud think all persons beneath them.’

The Sikh however, prevailed on the Guru to allow the Brahman to come to him. When the Brahman came he did not salute the Guru, but unceremoniously sat down in his presence. He then said, ‘Thou who call thyself Sri Har Krishan, must be greater than the God Krishan. Translate the Gita for a little while with me’.

Guru Ji replied, ‘The Brahmans of the present day are not deeply read. They are great talkers and arguers, and are deteriorating everyday; and in the future they will have even less religion that they have now. What the Brahmans know is not real knowledge, and they are strangers to God. I have not read the Gita, and were I to translate it with you, you would say that I was some rich man’s son who had a private tutor, whereas I should translate by my spiritual power. Go and bring some ignorant rustic to discuss with you and when you have brought him, I will speak to you.’

The Brahman went and brought an ignorant water carrier called Chhajju from the nearest village. The Guru looked at him full in face and said, ‘Thou hast become a great divinity scholar. Now discuss the meaning of the Shastars with this Brahman’.

The Brahman and the water carrier began to discuss accordingly, and the water carrier gave such learned replies, that the Brahman stood in astonished silence. The questions and replies related to Hindu theology.

The pandit became convinced that Guru Ji had infused his supernatural power into the water carrier. He accordingly begged Guru Ji’s pardon for the unceremonious manner in which he had approached him. The Brahman added, ‘Thou art really the holy God, Krishan. Make me thy disciple’.

Dhan Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Har Krishan Sahib Ji Maharaj, the King of Kings, the Saint of Saints and the Healer of all.

Dying to the Shabad

Tulsee Das was a Saint. When he was young he was devoted to reaching God and he struggled slowly on this path. When he got married he was head over heels in love with his beautiful wife, she became the sole reason for his living, everything he did was to please her.

One day he surprised her with a gift - she was overwhelmed by his love and said, 'If you were devoted to God half as much as you are to me, I'm sure you would have reached God by now.' The words struck Tulsee Das to the core and his earlier life of devotion came flooding back to his mind, from that day on God became his sole focus once again.

Many years later when Tulsee Das was old and wise and respected by all in the village as a saint, a Brahmin priest came to him. He said to Tulsee Das, 'All my life I've preached and read the scriptures, but I haven't met my Beloved Ram. Tell me what I should do?'. Tulsee Das said, 'It's very simple, all you have to do is climb that tall tree and jump off the branch with full faith that Ram will catch you.'

The Brahmin was inspired and climbed the tree, he sat on the branch and looked down at the hard ground below. No matter how hard he tried he couldn't make the leap. Many hours passed and the Village HeadMan (SarPanch) walked by with a bag of money. Noticing the Brahmin he enquired as to what he was doing. The Brahmin explained that Tulsee Das had said that by jumping off the tree Ram would catch him. The SarPanch who wasn't a religious man quickly said, 'O Brahmin, if you like you may have this bag of money, but give me Tulsee Das's blessing in exchange.'

The Brahmin didn't take too long to think about the offer and was soon off on his way with the bag of money. The SarPanch climbed the tree went across the branch and with full faith in Ram he jumped off. Ram caught him like a baby in its mother's arms.

Sounds too unbelievable to be true? But look for the deeper meaning, there's a very, very important spiritual point to this story. I am like the Brahmin, I do my nitnem prayers and preach to people. I do Waheguru Waheguru meditation and I follow the bits of the Guru's Shabad that I like and ignore the bits that are difficult to apply. I follow half of the Hukam, God's Order, and my life trickles away like this then I wonder why I haven't met Waheguru ji. When my brother comes to me with a great business opportunity my focus becomes how I can make lots and lots of money and in the background I rush my nitnem and Waheguru Waheguru meditation. My life trickles away like this and I wonder why I haven't met Waheguru ji.

But one day with Guru Ji's great kirpa, I hear the story of Tulsee Das. Now I realise I am like the Brahmin, I have lots of things to live for and I am scared of dying. Guru Nanak Ji says 'I have no anxiety about dying, and no hope of living.' (p20). Why is Guru Nanak Ji so brave? Because he has full faith that Waheguru ji is looking after him 'SIREE RAAG, FIRST MEHL: I have no anxiety about dying, and no hope of living. You are the Cherisher of all beings; You keep the account of our breaths and morsels of food. You abide within the Gurmukh. As it pleases You, You decide our allotment. || 1 ||' (p20).

So in my ardas, 'Guru Granth Sahib Jee you have given your blessing like Tulsee Das gave to the Brahmin. Give me full faith in your Gurbanee Words like the SarPanch had full faith in what Tulsee Das said. Baba Ji may I follow your words 100% and if it kills me then I have faith Waheguru ji You yourself will catch me.'

And dear Khalsa Ji, when you die while alive and are caught by Waheguru ji then you will be called Jeevan Mukhat. While still alive you have obtained liberation. By dying to the Shabad one finds the True Life held in the arms of Waheguru ji.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...