Simran with a cat

Most of us probably do simran with our eyes closed and focused. But recently the neighbourhood cat which likes to chill in the house sometimes, is around sometimes when I do simran, and this makes me open my eyes to check when she starts scratching stuff incase it is something important she is shredding. 

I open my eyes to see what she is doing and only react if needed. 

How will this impact my simran? 

Your attention is divided and focused on the cat rather than the simran so you aren't fully able devote your surti to the primary task. 

I struggle even if there is background noise. My ears love to run in the direction of external sounds rather than listening to the jaap or within. I find it terribly annoying.

2 hours ago, Sat1176 said:

Your attention is divided and focused on the cat rather than the simran so you aren't fully able devote your surti to the primary task. 

I struggle even if there is background noise. My ears love to run in the direction of external sounds rather than listening to the jaap or within. I find it terribly annoying.

I tell you a strange thing that happened today. When I was doing my simran and the cat made me open my eyes, I noticed my breathing still remain slow and steady. I actually felt really peaceful looking at the cat and doing simran. 

I should learn to ignore her when she brushes up against me when I'm meditating. I think because they are used to attention, me sitting there still, makes them try and get attention more. Normally the cat wouldn't brush up against me that much.  lol

• 2 months later...