Panjabi Primer - Learn Gurmukhi the modern way!

• 2 years later...
On 11/16/2022 at 4:44 AM, ਰੂਪ ਢਿੱਲੋਂ said:

I disagree with the comment about Darsham Granth and Adi Granth being the same, otherwise an ok summary

https://historicallyspeakingssc.wordpress.com/2022/01/05/a-history-of-the-gurmukhi-script-of-the-punjabi-language/

"George Grierson writes on a similar note, ‘there is no more a Gurmukhī language than there is Dēvanāgarī’. (Grierson 624)." 

Yehp. That's what I call Guri. The language of Gurbani in total. 

"Guru Angad also ‘took the thirty-five letters of the acrostic composed by [Guru] Nanak’ (Singh 49).

It was called Pattī. Interestingly, Pattī is not a script but a Rachnā or ‘creation’ of Guru Nanak himself. 1"

Interesting indeed. 

"the Adi Granth has verses in Marathi, Sanskrit, Sindhi, Multani and Persian written in the Gurmukhī script."

Yes those languages plus Punjabi and some small others is Guri in my world. 

"The Dasham Granth or the Guru Granth Sahib is a later edition of the Adi Granth, which also includes contributions of the later Sikh Gurus. As the name indicates, the scripture enjoys the status of a Guru and is the holiest of all scriptures among the Sikhs. "

Loool. Faaaiiiiillllll.