Hanuman Natak

Guest BikramjitSingh

Bikramjit ji

I never claimed to be a scholar of Sikhi, if you want to speak to true scholars of Sikhi there are several nirmala scholars who I could point you in the direction of.

Apologies. I assumed that you had read the Hanuman Natak yourself or had some views on the Chaupa Singh Rehatnama which contains the story of the discourse.

Guest BikramjitSingh

Interestingly enough Bhai Kahn SIngh Nabha wrote a commentary on Hanuman Natak called Natak Bhavarth Dipika (1888). :wink: :wink: :wink:

Bhai Kahan Singh was employed by the Maharaja of Nabha as a tutor for the prince. As part of the prince's all round education he was instructed to teach most of the religious books of that period. The Hanuman Natak was one of them. The commentary was a result of the various discussions that the Tikka Sahib had with Bhai Khan Singh. These were used to compile the commentary.

Gur Fateh!

Dear Forum, in particular Bikramjit and Lalleshvari, on the topic of Hanuman Natak, I'd be interested to know more about your opinions on "Hanuman" himself -a myth or a reality, if so why?

Also, (open to all), I am aware of the importance he plays in the Khusti (wrestling) Akharas of India...how applicable are these 'values' for us as Sikhs?

GUR BAR AKAAAL!

Bhai Kahan Singh was employed by the Maharaja of Nabha as a tutor for the prince. As part of the prince's all round education he was instructed to teach most of the religious books of that period. The Hanuman Natak was one of them. The commentary was a result of the various discussions that the Tikka Sahib had with Bhai Khan Singh. These were used to compile the commentary.

oh messaga have been removed, ! :shock:

Mod's Note: It was removed because you accused someone without having evidence or facts... we dont allow mud slinging in our forum

Gur Fateh!

Having looked further into this topic, I have heard (however have no documentary evidence to support this notion, so those who do, please come forward) that the Hanuman Natak was a piece written in Braj, not by Guru Ji, but by a Rishi, however not all of it was completed and owing to some events, which now escape my memory, the piece was lost/thrown into a river.

Many years later a poet patronised by a King found the piece and after praying for inspiration completed the missing pieces. These were then bound together and presented to Guru Ji as a 'gift'...which one can understand if one looks at the important of the Hanuman character in terms of wrestling Akharas in Northern Indian...however it is not Gurbani, simply literature, albeit of inspirational nature, however it is used within the Nihang Dals for recitation for a purpose similar to those used by Indian wrestlers.

...note again: these are not facts supported by any documented evidence, these are based upon personal opinions of some elderly folk, therefore, I welcome all feedback, critique and corrections...

GUR BAR AKAAALLLLL!!!

• 4 months later...

i apologise for this as i am aware that this topic is old however it is new to me. can someone show me the following please or guide me to where i can find them:

1) i would like to read the hanuman natak where could i find a copy of it on the net. if not can someone show me to a e bookstore where i could purchse it.

2) again with the rehit namas where could i read them on the net or find them published to buy

3) according to what i have read in the thread this piece is written in the patna sahib bir of the dasam granth. can we confirm this please as for the comparative studies done between the dasam granths at the takhats it was found that the only difference with this granth to the others was that it had 32 savaiyai instead of the 33 as in the others.

4) we seem to have conflicting views on who actually made this text and what is the context of the text. could someone please authenticate who is the writer?

I am sorry if these are questions that have come too late but could someone please answer these as i am intrigued.

It doesn't exist on the net, but you can buy a copy through CSJS bookshop, Amritsar. It's only about 150 rs or so. It is commonly attributed to Hriday Ram. See in the above thread for Chaupa Singh rehitnama's direct reference to Hanuman Natak in Padam's 'Rehitnamae' text.

• 2 years later...

i know this thread is old but i have purchased the Hanuman Natak by Hirday Ram. However it is still in kavita form and i wonder if anyone knows if a teeka or sttek is available in gurmukhi or english so that i may able to understand this text better.

Has the hanuman natak been recited and expounded as kath in Gurdwaras of the nirmalas and udasi's who i think would have more knowledge of this text. if so where can i get hold of it to learn the meanings of the text.

I know in the lists of Nirmalay granths (that generally were in manuscript form or published at the turn of the century in editions of about 500), there was a steek on Hanuman Natak. Beyond that I've yet to see anything. I think because its in braj its generally seen to be quite accesible. Its the sanskrit stuff that usually gets steeks. When a tika is made on gurbani it is done to bring out deeper aspects through the application of the Nirmala's extensive learning. I only recently got this fact when my own gurdev pointed out that nobody will care about the translation and padarth as such, its all about what is brought to it in the commentary.

Ok boys, i got the scoop on Hanuman Natak. This is what went down.

Hanuman Natak was written by a Rishi a while back ago. This rishi did not complete the granth , he died before he finished it. This got into the hands of the Mohgul government, run by I think Jangangir (i think...). At this one of his kavis decided to finish it, he did many prayers and asked that he could, like the rishi, write the granth. Eventually he finished it, with apparently, the blessings of God. So then, this granth got passed down, from emperor to emperor, and eventually found its way to Bahadur Shah. Bahadur Shah gave Guru Gobind Singh Ji this Granth as a gift. Guru Gobind Singh Ji read the granth and loved it!!!! The poetry in this granth is so beautiful that Maharaj kept it in his kamarkasa.

I was told this by a collector of really Puratan Saroops of Adi,Dasam, and Sarbloh Granth Sahib. He really knows his stuff, and has soooo many puratan saroops. He has puratan pothis aswell, like Sooraj Prakhash, Panth Prakhash, Nanak Prakhash, etc. He loves reading those, and is quite good at reading Brij. He doesn't have an old copy of Hanuman Natak, the copy he has is printed, but he lovesssss reading from it, beautiful piece of work.

Just thought I would like you guys know about it

GurFateh !

here are a few snippets of info - that maybe of interest.

Unfortunately I can't remember where i copied these photos from - but as I remember they didn't give much information about them - other than that they are from a copy of the Hanuman Natak.

- The photo of the printed page from a book also didn't give a source - but it does echo akaali' s post (Bahadur Shah gifting Guru Sahib the Hanuman Natak) - as does the entry in Mahaan Kosh (see footnote 2)

Sorry about the vagueness and lack of source ! Enjoy the pics

Perhaps someone can confirm that the pics are of the Hanuman Natak - or may know the source of the printed page extract - or even someone from SA may of even bought it - I have a feeling the pics may of been copied from eBay !

Please post if you have any info

Here are the pictures ;

hanuman2520natak25203kx5.jpg

hanuman2520natak25202rx4.jpg

hanuman2520natak2520refdg2.jpg

Entry for 'hanuman natak' in Mahan Kosh

Mahan Kosh Encyclopedia

ਸੰ. हनमन्नाटक ਹਨੁਮੱਨਾਟਕ. ਸੰਸਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਦਾ ਇੱਕ ਕਾਵ੍ਯ, ਜੋ ਰਾਮਚੰਦ੍ਰ ਜੀ ਦਾ ਇਤਿਹਾਸ ਅਖਾੜੇ ਵਿੱਚ ਖੇਡਕੇ ਦਿਖਾਉਣ ਯੋਗ ਹੈ. ਇਹ ਵਿਦ੍ਵਾਨ ਹਨੁਮਾਨ ਦੀ ਰਚਨਾ ਹੈ. ਕਈ ਕਵੀਆਂ ਨੇ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਵਾਲਮੀਕਿ ਦੇ ਕਹਿਣ ਤੇ ਹਨੁਮਾਨ ਨੇ ਆਪਣਾ ਨਾਟਕ ਸਮੁੰਦਰ ਵਿੱਚ ਸੁੱਟ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਸੀ ਤਾਂਕਿ ਵਾਲਮੀਕ ਰਾਮਾਇਣ ਦੀ ਮਹਿਮਾ ਨਾ ਘਟੇ. ਰਾਜੇ ਭੋਜ ਦੇ ਸਮੇਂ ਮੋਤੀ ਕੱਢਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਡਬੋਲੀਏ ਨੂੰ ਇੱਕ ਸਿਲਾ ਹੱਥ ਲੱਗੀ, ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਪੇਸ਼ ਹੋਣ ਪੁਰ ਰਾਜੇ ਨੇ ਓਥੋਂ ਪੱਥਰਾਂ ਪੁਰ ਉੱਕਰਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਨਾਟਕ ਕਢਵਾਇਆ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਸੰਗ ਨਹੀਂ ਮਿਲੇ ਉਹ ਦਾਮੋਦਰ ਮਿਸ੍ਰ ਨੇ ਬਣਾਕੇ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਪੂਰਣ ਕੀਤਾ. ਇਸ ਦਾ ਹਿੰਦੀ ਅਨੁਵਾਦ ਭੱਲਾ ਕੁਲ ਦੇ ਰਤਨ ਕਵਿ ਹ੍ਰਿਦਯਰਾਮ ਨੇ ਬਾਦਸ਼ਾਹ ਜਹਾਂਗੀਰ ਦੇ ਸਮੇਂ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੈ. ਯਥਾ- ਸੰਮਤ ਬਿਕ੍ਰਮ ਨ੍ਰਿਪਤਿ ਸਹਸ ਖਟ ਸ਼ਤ ਅਸੀਹ¹ ਵਰ, ਚੈਤ੍ਰ ਚਾਂਦਨੀ ਦੂਜ ਛਤ੍ਰ ਜਹਁਗੀਰ ਸੁਭਟ ਪਰ, ਸ਼ੁਭ ਲੱਛਨ ਦੱਛਨ ਸੁਦੇਸ਼ ਕਵਿ ਰਾਮ ਵਿਚੱਛਨ, ਕ੍ਰਿਸ੍ਨਦਾਸ ਤਨੁ ਕੁਲ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸ ਯਸ਼ ਦੀਪਕ ਰੱਛਨ, ਰਘੁਪਤਿ ਚਰਿਤ੍ਰ ਤਿਨ ਯਥਾਮਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਕਰ੍ਯੋ ਸ਼ੁਭ ਲਗਨ ਗਣ, ਦੇ ਭਕ੍ਤਿ ਦਾਨ ਨਿਰਭਯ ਕਰੋ, ਜਯ ਰਘੁਪਤਿ ਰਘੁਵੰਸ਼ ਮਣਿ. ਇਸ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਵਿੱਚ ਕਈ ਕਬਿੱਤ ਕਾਸ਼ੀ ਰਾਮ ਕਵੀ ਦੇ ਭੀ ਹਨ.²

¹ਸਾਲ ਵਿਕ੍ਰਮੀ ੧੬੮੦. ²ਬਹੁਤ ਕਵੀ ਆਖਦੇ ਹਨ ਕਿ ਬਹਾਦੁਰਸ਼ਾਹ ਨੇ ਹ੍ਰਿਦਯਰਾਮ ਦੀ ਲਿਖੀ ਅਸਲ ਕਾਪੀ ਸ਼੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਦੀ ਭੇਟਾ ਕੀਤੀ ਸੀ ਅਤੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੇ ਪੁਰਸ਼ੁਰਾਮ ਦੇ ਸੰਬਾਦ ਦੇ ਕੁਝ ਛੰਦ ਕਵਿ ਕਾਂਸ਼ੀਰਾਮ ਤੋਂ ਲਿਖਵਾਕੇ ਦਰਜ ਕਰਵਾਏ.

Ranjit Singh 'Freed'