15 Days With Sant Baba Maan Singh (DAY 2)

Day 2 : Devotion to the Guru

----------------------------

What are we here for? What should we be doing? Some are businessmen, some are factory workers, but we all have one thing in common, we want happiness, or sukh. No one wants pain, or dukh. Waheguru is the Ocean of Happiness, the Ocean of Anand, or Bliss. If we walk to the Sun our shadow is behind us. If we walk to Waheguru then our dark times are behind us. If we turn our backs to Waheguru then we walk into dark times. Sukh-mani Sahib is the prayer which contains the treasure of peace. It was written by Guru Arjun Dev jee. It contains 24 verses, one reading a day makes our 24 hours successful. It only takes an hour and a quarter to read.

Remembering Waheguru all Dukh, all suffering and sorrow departs, and meditating on `Waheguru Waheguru' we gather all Sukh, all happinesses. Guru Arjun Dev jee says this "Simaro simar sukh paavo - Remembering Waheguru obtains all sukhs"

The prayer Sukh-Mani is the treasure of sukh. Like milk contains the treasures of yoghurt, butter, indian sweets and cheese. So in the same way, God's Name, or Naam contains the treasure of all sukhs.

In a dry field no seed can germinate. A son can't be born without a mother. A person without devotion to Naam can't get sukh. The more devotion one has the more Sukh one is blessed with.

Bhai Bhalla jee was serving Guru Angad Dev jee by waving the fan over his head. He asked, ``Gareeb Nivaaj, O Cherisher of the Poor, may I ask a question?''

-``Of course beloved one,'' replied Guru jee.

-``I used to wave the fan over Guru Nanak jee and now I serve you in the same way. Why is it that I remain serving the Guru by waving the fan, wereas you became Guru in reward for your service? What did you see Guru Nanak jee as, that pleased him so much? What service did you do, what devotion did you have that brought you so close to Guru Nanak jee?''

Guru Angad Dev jee asked Bhai Bhalla jee, ``What did you see Guru Nanak Dev jee as?''

-``Guru Nanak jee was a great Saint.'' Said Bhai Balla jee. Guru Angad Dev jee said, ``And aren't you equal to a Saint.'' Bhai Bhalla jee replied, ``Yes, I'm respected by all, they say Bhai Bhalla jee spent all his life serving Guru Nanak jee.'' Guru Angad Dev jee said, ``Bhai Bhalla jee, I saw Guru Nanak jee as Waheguru, as God himself.'' Bhai Bhalla jee joined his hands and said, ``I saw Guru Nanak jee as a Saint and became a Saint, you saw Guru Nanak jee as God and became God, Guru.''

Like a mirror shows you what you are. Like the earth doesn't hate any seed, what is planted grows. In the same way the Guru is without hate and we become whatever we see our Guru as.

The Sikhs asked Guru Ram Das jee, ``What is a Gur-Sikh?'' Nowadays, our preachers drink alcohol and then go to someones house to perform the religious program! But a person can't follow two paths at the same time. You can't have day and night at the same time. You can't be a Saint and a thief. You can't be a devoted wife and a prostitute. And you can't be a preacher and an alcoholic!

Guru Amar Das Jee says, "Bhagta kee chall niralee - path of the saints distinct"

The Sikhs asked Guru Ram Das jee what a Gur-Sikh is. Gur Ram Das jee said, " Gur Satgur kaa jo sikh akhaa-ay, so bhalakay uth harnaam dhi-aavai" Meaning "One who calls himself a Sikh of The Guru, True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on The Lord's Name. Upon rising early in the morning, he is to bathe and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar. Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased. Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name. One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food, that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind. That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate, upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed. Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||

2 ||'' (p 305 Guru Granth Sahib Jee).

Today people say the Sikh Religion is failing because of the lack of preaching. No, it is failing because we have fake Sikhs. Sikhs that are empty inside. The True Sikhs were like Bhai Mati Das jee, Bhai Sati Das jee and Bhai Dyal Das jee who were tortured in front of Guru Tegh Bahadur jee but didn't give up their love for their Guru.

Bhai Dyal Das was boiled in a huge cooking pot over a raging fire. He was told to accept Islam, he was offered beautiful wives and riches if he converted, but he didn't turn his back on his Guru, he was devoted to the distinct path of the saints.

Later, at Guru Gobind Singh jee's time, Emperor Aurangzeb said, ``O sons of the Guru, I'll give you power, women and Islam.'' Guru's beloved jewels, aged 7 and 9, said, ``We spit on your offer!''

"Sir jaavay ta jaavay sada sikh sadak na jaavay - if our heads go, let them go, but may our Sikhi and devotion never go !"

But, today's Sikh says, ``If our Sikhism is going then let it go, but don't let our alcohol go!'' Today's Sikh wants to please the Guru and to please the worldly people, but these two paths can't be followed.

That's why Guru Gobind Singh jee said, ``The house in which the body pores are insulted is the house in which Sikhism will not stay!'' The roots of Sikhism will dry up and wither away. But, by receiving amrit, the roots will become alive again. Do we want to keep the Sikhism plant alive or dead in our house?

The Guru's beloved sons and Bhai Mati Das gave everything to keep their Sikhism. Emperor Aurangzeb asked Bhai Mati Das jee, ``Do you have any last requests before we kill you?'' He said, ``May I always be with my Guru, may I always be a Sikh!'' Today's Sikhs say, ``When I die, make sure there is a beer bottle near me!'' Aurangzeb asked again, ``If you want something before you die, then you're going to have to become a Muslim.'' Bhai Mati Das jee said, ``O foolish one, my face is towards the Guru. I don't want anything from you!''

It is this servants request that you receive amrit. Don't the ones who've received amrit have anything to eat or to drink? Don't they live? Guru Gobind Singh jee said that without receiving amrit you are not a Sikh :

"Rayhnee ray si-i sikh meraa, o sahib ma os ka cheraa - the one who lives according to the code of conduct, the rehat, is my sikh. That one is my master and I am their servant. "

"Rehat bina na sikh kaahaavay Rehat bina dar chotaa khaavay - If you don't abide by the code of conduct, the rehat, don't call yourself a Sikh. Without a code of conduct you will be slapped in God's court."

Bhai Mati Das jee said to the executioner, ``You can sharpen your saw, I'll sharpen my mind.'' He began meditating on Jap Jee Sahib.

Sawing back and forth, through the top of his head towards his navel, the executioner asked, ``Are you feeling the pain yet?'' Bhai Mati Das jee said, ``What pain? I'm going to finish Jap jee Sahib!''

Khalsa Jee, we remember him everyday in our ardas prayer when we say, "areea naal chiraa-ey gayhe - the ones sawn to pieces." Khalsa Jee, we remember the women who watched their children being hacked to pieces, then their legs and arms were tied into a necklace that was placed around the mother's neck. Now who's going to remember the ones who drink alcohol and fight with their brothers?

If we didn't have these two weaknesses of drinking and in-fighting, we would have ruled the world. But, we can't even rule a Gurdwara!!

Hearing, speaking and following the Truth is hard. The liar burns on hearing the Truth. But, Bhai Mati Das jee lived the Truth, the new twigs on a tree are flexible, but the old trre-trunk is hard. The old Sikhs say we'll receive amrit in the next world, they're too hard and stubborn to change, so it's too late for them. The children and youth are the future. These are the ones who have to take control, they will take ius forward to "Raj Karega Khalsa - The Khalsa will Rule."

When you leave this world won't Guru Gobind Singh jee ask you what you did for your Guru-father in your life? Bhai Mati Das jee was a great soul, he did everything for his Guru-Father.

The beard is very important for a Sikh, it is our identity. Males have beards and manes. Females don't. A Lion has a mane, but the lioness doesn't. Its the way God wanted it to be.

When you go to the barber shop, he doesn't offer you his daughter or his wealth for your hair, instead YOU give HIM money! Our martyrs didn't sell their hair, nor did they take gifts in exchange!!

After Bhai Mati Das was sawn into two pieces, his body was still reciting Jap Jee Sahib. The Emperor Aurangzeb was amazed and said, ``The nation that continues reciting God's Word even after death, can never be beaten.''

"Soora so pachaanee-a jo laray deen kay hayt,

Purja Purja kut maray, kabhoo na chaaday kayt

The True Warrior is the one fights for religion, He amy be cut limb by limb , but will never desert the battlefield. "

Bhai Taroo Singh jee was a lion amongst the animals. His long, uncut mane made him distinct. When no-one came forward to collect Guru Tegh Bahadur jee's head except for Bhai Jetha jee, Guru Gobind Singh jee said, ``I'll make a nation that stands out amongst thousands of people.'' That is why we have long distinct hair and Guru Gobind Singh jee protects those Sikhs that keep it. Like when Bhai Joga Singh had climbed upto the fifth step, he was on his way to the prostitutes house. But, Guru Gobind Singh jee was on the seventh step to save him!

But, today's Sikhs dont get up in the early hours of amrit-vela to meditate, they've lost their Amrit-Vela, and wear the Kirpan just for showing off. When a drunkard drives a car, he is imprisoned. So what should be done to the drunks that run our Gurdwara's and wear kirpans just for show? They'll be punished in God's court. All their lives they drink alcohol, they will not get a place at the Guru's feet.

The Nation that forgets its history and gives into alcohol, will fail. Guru Gobind Singh jee said that his Sikhs would be educated and would read God's Word, but what happened? The Penicillin injection cures the disease in most people, but some get an allergic reaction. Today's Sikhs read God's Word and suffer an allergic reaction!

When the executioner brought the scissors out, Bhai Taroo Singh jee's hair became like wires of steel. The scissors became twisted and buckled, but they couldn't cut his hair. Nowadays, our hair clutters the floor of a barber's shop, yet we call ourselves Sikh!

Bhai Taroo Singh jee's scalp with the full set of hair was removed instead. He continued meditating and lived for many more days. He said to the executioner, ``You will be punished for your deeds.''

Everyday Bhai Taroo Singh jee asked if the executioner had died yet. On the last day he was beaten with shoes, he died. Bhai Taroo Singh jee then left his own body too.

(Translator's Note : Bhai Taroo Singh jee - was a devoted servant of the Khalsa Panth and a hard working resident of village Pulla (district Lahore). On Harbhagat Naranjania's complaint, Bhai Taroo Singh of the same village was arrested and accused of providing rations to the Sikhs. Bhai Taroo Singh admitted the facts. Nawab Zakaria Khan ordered the removal of his scalp. Bhai Taroo Singh said that the Governor would suffer as much torture. And Bhai Taroo would take Zakaria Khan along with him to the other world. The Nawab's orders were carried out on June 27, 1745. The same day Zakaria Khan's urinary system stopped functioning, putting him in great pain. The Qazi addressed Bhai Taroo Singh "Oh Kafir (unbeliever), what have you done? The Nawab can't urinate. He is in great pain." Bhai Taroo Singh told him to take his shoe and beat it on Zakaria's head to make him urinate. On the fifth day of shoe beating, Zakaria Khan died on July 1, 1745. After hearing that, Bhai Taroo Singh left this world too.)

"Khalsa mera roop hai khaas - The Khalsa is my special form" says Guru Gobind Singh. When Bhai Daya Singh jee received Amrit, Guru Gobind Singh told him, "You are now my Sikh, But, when you get up in the early hours at amrit-vela and meditate on God's Name "Waheguru", then you will be me."

"Rayhnee ray si-i sikh meraa, o sahib ma os ka cheraa - the one who lives according to the code of conduct, the rehat, is my sikh. That one is my master and I am their servant. "

ACTIONS

Sikhism is not about age. Guru Amar Das jee was over 70, wereas the 4 sons of Guru Gobind Singh jee were martyred aged less than 20. Guru Gobind Singh jee was 9 when he became Guru. Sikhism is about actions not age.

Some Sikhs asked Guru Gobind Singh jee, ``What's the point of pressing ones forehead at the Guru's feet?'' Guru Gobind Singh jee took out his royal stamping device and pressed it on the ink and then onto some paper. The reversed letters on the stamping device, became straight when pressed on the paper. Guru jee explained that in the same way, pressing ones forehead at the Guru's feet straightens out our destiny.

Khalsa jee, stay until the end of the religious program tonight. When we have visitors we take them to the airport if necessary. Respect Guru Granth Sahib jee as the Guru of Gurus, stay until you have seen Guru Granth Sahib jee into the Positon of Peace - Sukh Asan. Our work will never finish although we will. Make the most of this time.

This servants mission is not to gather money but to do inspire people to receive amrit. Give me 1000 or 2000 Sikhs who want to receive amrit and make their life successful. I request the holy congregation, the sadh-sangat to respect Guru Granth Sahib jee as much as you can. Since the beginning of time many scriptures have been written, such as the Bible, Ramayan, Gita and the Koran. Out of all the holy scriptures, only Guru Granth Sahib jee has been honoured with status of being Guru in this dark age. Gurbanee, or God's Word required the 10 Guru's lives to write it. Respect Guru Granth Sahib jee as much as you can.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh !

Awesome veer...keep em coming...

sant baba mann singh ji is quite good ..in fact he was also student of baba ishar singh ji rara sahib :D..

all his teaching i got in the tapes of baba ishar singh ji ...

ask urself veer ji...listening to sants are good and stuff... if who wants to listen to the student when you got his teacher tapes aint it? :wink: ..

he is really good...specially his voice will hit you... but i just like the oldways...peaceful voice and peaceful hit :wink:

Awesome veer...keep em coming...

sant baba mann singh ji is quite good ..in fact he was also student of baba ishar singh ji rara sahib :D..

all his teaching i got in the tapes of baba ishar singh ji ...

ask urself veer ji...listening to sants are good and stuff... if who wants to listen to the student when you got his teacher tapes aint it? :wink: ..

he is really good...specially his voice will hit you... but i just like the oldways...peaceful voice and peaceful hit :wink:

lol.. in my opinion he is great - end of the day - they are all preachers of shri granth sahib - they teach us whatever is written - the word of waheguru - thats what matters

in that case - baba ishar singh once had a teacher too :wink:

110% PERCENTAGE...ALL FROM GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI... :D ..

oh lol...maha bhramgyani.. sant attar singh ji reru sahib was his teacher....love to get his teaching from guru grant sahib ji...but none obtainable...see how this trishna(never-ending desires) wants stuff..cant be satisfied with whatever i have :oops: