Creation of the Khalsa

I got dis from http://www.gurugobindsinghji.net/jevani/History10.html

Creation of the Khalsa

A small tent was pitched on a small hill now called Kesgarh Sahib at Anandpur and an open air dewan (assembly) was held. The Guru drew his sword and in a thundering voice said," I want one head, is there any one who can offer me?" This most unusual call caused some terror in the gathering and the people were stunned. There was dead silence. The Guru made a second call. Nobody came forward. There was still more silence. On the third call there rose Daya Ram, a khatri of Lahore who said," O true king, my head is at thy service." The Guru took Daya Ram by the arm and led him inside the tent. A blow and thud were heard. Then the Guru, with his sword dripping with blood, came out and said," I want another head, is there anyone who can offer?"

"Satgur mera mar jiwalei." (Bhairon Mohalla 5, p-1142)

'My lord can raise the dead to life.' (Translation of the above)

This was not an ordinary feat, this was the most unparallel and supernatural act which was performed through the direct Will of God. The Guru himself authenticates this act:

"Khalsa is the army of God, Khalsa is created with the Will of God."

(Guru Gobind Singh - Sarbloh Granth)

Dharam Das, a Jat from Delhi came forward and said," O true king! My head is at thy disposal." The Guru took Dharam Das inside the tent, again a blow and thud were heard, and he came out with his sword dripping with blood and repeated," I want another head, is there any beloved Sikh who can offer it?"

Upon this some people in the assembly remarked that the Guru had lost all reason and went to his mother to complain. Mohkam Chand, a washerman of Dwarka (west coast of India) offered himself as a sacrifice. The Guru took him inside the tent and went through the same process. When he came out, he made a call for the fourth head. The Sikhs began to think that he was going to kill all of them. Some of them ran away and the others hung their heads down. Himmat Chand, a cook of Jagan Nath Puri, offered himself as a fourth sacrifice. Then the Guru made a fifth and the last call for a fifth head. Sahib Chand, a barber of Bidar (in central India), came forward and the Guru took him inside the tent. A blow and thud were heard.

Guru came this time in a little while,and finally Guru emerged from the tent and with him came the five Panj Pyaras (five beloved ones). They were in the most radiant form. There were exclamations of wonder and the sighs of regret on all sides. Now people were sorry for not offering their heads.

The Master Becomes The Disciple

After the Guru had administered Amrit to his Five Beloved Ones, he stood up in supplication and with folded hands, begged them to baptize him in the same way as he had baptized them. This was the height of this remarkable episode setting up unparallel example in the world that first as Guru, he created the Khalsa blessing them with power, supremacy and glory, and then he himself became their disciple- Wonderful is Guru Gobind Singh, himself the Master and himself the disciple. In the annals of human history a disciple could become a Guru but never a Guru became a disciple.

The Five Beloved Ones were astonished at such a proposal, and represented their own unworthiness, and the greatness of the Guru, whom they deemed God's Vicar upon earth. They asked him why he made such a request and why he stood in a supplicant posture before them. He replied," I am the son of the Immortal God. It is by his order I have been born and have established this form of baptism. They who accept it shall henceforth be known as the KHALSA. The Khalsa is the Guru and the Guru is the Khalsa. There is no difference between you and me. As Guru Nanak seated Guru Angad on the throne, so have I made you also a Guru. Wherefore administer the baptismal nectar to me without any hesitation." Accordingly the Five Beloved Ones baptized the Guru with the same ceremonies and injunctions he himself had employed. The Guru was then named Gobind Singh instead of Gobind Rai.

Guru Gobind Singh was the first one to take Amrit from the Khalsa, the Five Beloved Ones. About 80,000 men and women were baptized within a few days at Anandpur.

By creating the Khalsa, the Guru embedded two qualities in one person. A Khalsa is a Saint-Soldier. A Sikh is a saint because he worships the All-Pervading divine spirit and in whom that spirit shines day and night like a full moon. A Sikh is a soldier because he is ever ready to take up the arms to uphold righteousness.

Guru Gobind Singh gave the Sikh a new appearance and administered them the Baptism of the Sword. He infused in them a spirit of fearlessness and a belief in there own invincibility and told them to maintain the five symbols*, each begins with the letter K. (*symbols are: Hair (Kesh), Sword (Kirpan), Underwear (Katcha), Comb (Kanga), Bracelet (Kara).)

The Guru then administered Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, placed five paise and a coco-nut before it and solemnly bowed to it as his successor. Saying 'Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh', he circumambulated the sacred volume and proclaimed," O beloved Khalsa, let him who desireth to behold me, behold the Guru Granth. Obey the Granth Sahib. It is the visible body of the Gurus. And let him who desireth to meet me, diligently search its hymns." He then sang his self-composed hymn:

"Agya bhai Akal ki tabhi chalayo Panth

Sabh Sikhan ko hukam hai Guru manyo Granth

Guru Granth Ji manyo pargat Guran ki deh

Jo Prabhu ko milbo chahe khoj shabad mein le

Raj karega Khalsa aqi rahei na koe

Khwar hoe sabh milange bache sharan jo hoe."

Translation of the above:

"Under orders of the immortal being, the Panth was created. All the Sikhs are enjoined to accept the Granth as their Guru.

Consider the Guru Granth as embodiment of the Gurus. Those who want to meet God, can find him in its hymns. The Khalsa shall rule, and its opponents will be no more, Those separated will unite and all the devotees shall be saved."

Sat Sri Akal:

Another version:

Vaaheguroo jee kaa Khaalsaa. Vaaheguroo jee kee Fateh.

Below is the version which "Abu-ul-Turani" has narrated in his book or

memoirs presumed to be held in the archives of the Aligarh University. It is

a record of accounts that are supposedly eye-witnessed by "Abu-ul-Turani",

who was under the employment of Emperor Aurangzeb. The Emperor had

instructed him to keep a watchful eye on Guru Sahib and act as the Emperor's

informer to keep him informed of all the activities and movements of Guru

Sahib.

(Reported to be info from a booklet printed and distributed by Baba Khem Singh jee of Dera Baba Rumee Wala, Bhuchae Kalan , Bathinda. Panjab on Vaisakhi 1998.)

---

"The day Guru Gobind Singh prepared the nectar at 'Anandpur' the

congregation was estimated to around thirty five to forty thousand sikhs who

had come from far and wide. I had seen the grandeur of the 'Mughal Darbars'

but this 'Guru's Darbar' had a charm of its own - simply majestic and beyond

comparison.

The Guru came on the stage and after drawing his sword demanded a 'head'

from the 'Sangat' present. This awesome call from the Guru sent a shiver to

spines of the sikhs present in the congregation. Amidst all this a brave

person emerged from the crowd and with his clasped hands humbly presented

himself to the Guru. The Guru, with one stroke if his sword, beheaded the

sikh in front of all the stunned 'sangat', and again asked for another

'head'. Another person who came on the stage was similarly beheaded. The

Guru made the eerie call again and simultaneously three devout sikhs came on

the stage and met the same fate under the merciless sword of the Guru. The

stage was a ghastly sight with the torsos and heads of the five drenched in

pools of blood. All the trace of blood diminished after the Guru cleaned it

with water. The Guru then medically joined each head on a different body and

thereafter covered them with white sheets.

He then ordered a stone urn and on top of it he put an iron pot in which he

added some water. He put his sword in it and started moving it, while

chanting some words. He took some time and during this period some woman

from the Guru's household came and put something in the pot. The nectar

(Abe-Hayat) was now ready. The Guru then removed the white sheets from one

body and poured the nectar into the dead man's mouth, on the hair and on the

body. While he was performing this ritual he kept on pronouncing "Waheguru

ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh"( The Khalsa belongs to the Almighty and

to the Almighty is the victory ). To the amazement of the 'sangat', the

person sat up and loudly chanted "Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki

Fateh".

The whole congregation was aghast and taken aback by this miracle. The Guru

did the same to the rest of the four bodies and they also like their

counterpart rose up with shouts of "Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki

Fateh". The Guru then took these five sikhs into a tent and after some time

they emerged wearing new white clothes. The Guru then kneeled down in front

of them and asked them to give him the life giving nectar. Obligingly they

obeyed and baptized the Guru .

The Guru named them Daya Singh, Dharam Singh, Himmat Singh, Mohkam Singh and

Sahib Singh and consequently changed his name from Gobind Rai to Gobind

Singh. What happened in front of my eyes completely entranced me, and my

heart longed to be in the Guru's eternal feet. With a lump in my throat, I

approached the Guru and begged him to baptize me and take me in his abode.

The Guru smiled and baptized me and named me 'Ajmer Singh'. Thus with the

Guru's blessing I attained absolute bliss. This was the last report I sent

to Aurangzeb in which I mentioned that the Guru was not an ordinary person

but was 'Allah' Himself. Furthermore I warned the Emperor that his enmity

towards the Guru will lead to the downfall and destruction of the Mughal

Empire."

----

Vaaheguroo jee kaa Khaalsaa. Vaaheguroo jee kee Fateh.

(Bhai Vir Singh mentions Abu Tarani in his writings of "Dasmesh Chamatkaar". Sant Kartar Singh of Taksaal also mentions that this has been witnessed bhai charan Singh Bhorshee in the book at "Aleegarr Muslim VihavVadiala" and according to Giani Dalip Singh of Komal Dhnaula the writings can be found at the Aligarh Muslim University.)

• 2 years later...

Gurfateh

There is a lie in first post.

Bhai Dharam Singh ji were not from Delhi/Inderprastha/inderpat.He was from Hastinapur(District Meerut).Some people did not know the dieffrance between Hastinapur and Delhi and mostly Punjabis tend to feel both the same.So when they write theri own fabricarted history ,they write Hastinapur as Delhi.

To reach Gurudwara at native place of Bhai Dharam Singh Ji.Take Mawan road from Meerut.Ahead of Bada Mawana,from Ganeshpur turn towards Hastinapur.Enrooute on our right we find another raod to Saifpur.That leads to Bhai Sahib's Gurudwara.At Hastinapur we have place where he had stable/Astbal.

Baba Harbans Singh Ji Kar Seva Wale from Delhi,did Seva there.

From the house where weapans belongig to Bhai Saih wee found.People took baptism.But female jaats converts still manitained it.male restored to age old tobbacoo usagse so were out of faith.

this gives us lesson to deaddict the person before converting.

• 6 years later...