Daily Hukamnam.....

SORAT'H, FIFTH MEHL, SECOND HOUSE:

In our mother's womb, You blessed us with Your meditative remembrance, and You preserved us there. Through the countless waves of the ocean of fire, please, carry us across and save us, O Savior Lord! || 1 || O Lord, You are the Master above my head. Here and hereafter, You alone are my Support. || Pause || He looks upon the creation like a mountain of gold, and sees the Creator as a blade of grass. You are the Great Giver, and we are all mere beggars; O God, You give gifts according to Your Will. || 2 || In an instant, You are one thing, and in another instant, You are another. Wondrous are Your ways! You are beautiful, mysterious, profound, unfathomable, lofty, inaccessible and infinite. || 3 || When You brought me to the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, then I heard the Bani of Your Word. Nanak is in ecstasy, beholding the Glory of the Primal Lord of Nirvaanaa. || 4 || 7 || 18 ||

Thursday 19th Poh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 613)

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SORAT'H, 9th GURU:

The mind remains in the mind. He does not meditate on the Lord, nor does he perform service at sacred shrines, and so death seizes him by the hair. || 1 || Pause || Wife, friends, children, carriages, property, total wealth, the entire world - know that all of these things are false. The Lord's meditation alone is true. || 1 || Wandering, wandering around for so many ages, he has grown weary, and finally, he obtained this human body. Says Nanak, this is the opportunity to meet the Lord; why don't you remember Him in meditation? || 2 || 2 ||

Friday 20th Poh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 631)

Dhanaasaree, Third Mehl:

The wealth of the Lord's Name is immaculate, and absolutely infinite.

The Word of the Guru's Shabad is over-flowing with treasure.

Know that, except for the wealth of the Name, all other wealth is poison.

The egotistical people are burning in their attachment to Maya. ||1||

How rare is that Gurmukh who tastes the sublime essence of the Lord.

He is always in bliss, day and night;

through perfect good destiny, he obtains the Name. ||Pause||

The Word of the Shabad is a lamp, illuminating the three worlds.

One who tastes it, becomes immaculate.

The immaculate Naam, the Name of the Lord, washes off the filth of ego.

True devotional worship brings lasting peace. ||2||

One who tastes the sublime essence of the Lord is the Lord's humble servant.

He is forever happy; he is never sad.

He himself is liberated, and he liberates others as well.

He chants the Lord's Name, and through the Lord, he finds peace. ||3||

Without the True Guru, everyone dies, crying out in pain.

Night and day, they burn, and find no peace.

But meeting the True Guru, all thirst is quenched.

O Nanak, through the Naam, one finds peace and tranquility. ||4||2||

Page No. 644 January 3, 2004

=========

Hukamnama from Bangla sahib

SHALOK, THIRD MEHL:

Serving the Guru, peace is produced, and then, one does not suffer in pain. The cycle of birth and death is brought to an end, and death has no power over at all. His mind is imbued with the Lord, and he remains merged in the True Lord. O Nanak, I am a sacrifice to those who walk in the Way of the True Guru's Will. || 1 || THIRD MEHL: Without the Word of the Shabad, purity is not obtained, even though the soul-bride may adorn herself with all sorts of decorations. She does not know the value of her Husband Lord; she is attached to the love of duality. She is impure, and ill-mannered, O Nanak; among women, she is the most evil woman. || 2 || PAUREE: Be kind to me, Lord, that I might chant the Word of Your Bani. May I meditate on the Lord's Name, chant the Lord's Name, and obtain the profit of the Lord's Name. I am a sacrifice to those who chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, day and night. May I behold with my eyes those who worship and adore my Beloved True Guru. I am a sacrifice to my Guru, who has united me with my Lord, my friend, my very best friend. || 24 ||

Sunday 22nd Poh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) 4 January 2004 (Page: 651)

Hukamnama from Amritsar

=========================

Dhanaasaree, Fifth Mehl:

You are the Giver, O Lord, O Cherisher,

my Master, my Husband Lord.

Each and every moment, You cherish and nurture me;

I am Your child, and I rely upon You alone. ||1||

I have only one tongue - which of Your Glorious

Virtues can I describe?

Unlimited, infinite Lord and Master - no one knows

Your limits. ||1||Pause||

You destroy millions of my sins,

and teach me in so many ways.

I am so ignorant - I understand nothing at all.

Please honor Your innate nature, and save me! ||2||

I seek Your Sanctuary - You are my only hope.

You are my companion, and my best friend.

Save me, O Merciful Saviour Lord; Nanak is the slave

of Your home. ||3||12||

Page No. 673 January 04, 2004

=========

Hukamnama from Bangla sahib

SHALOK, THIRD MEHL:

One who has no faith in the True Guru, and who does not love the Word of the Shabad, shall find no peace, even though he may come and go hundreds of times. O Nanak, the Gurmukh meets the True Lord with natural ease; he is in love with the Lord. || 1 || THIRD MEHL: O mind, search for such a True Guru, by serving whom the pains of birth and death are dispelled. Doubt shall never afflict you, and your ego shall be burnt away through the Word of the Shabad. The veil of falsehood shall be torn down from within you, and Truth shall come to dwell in the mind. Peace and happiness shall fill your mind deep within, if you act according to truth and self-discipline. O Nanak, by perfect good karma, you shall meet the True Guru, and then the Dear Lord, by His Sweet Will, shall bless you with His Mercy. || 2 || PAUREE: The whole world comes under the control of one whose home is filled with the Lord, the King. He is subject to no one else's rule, and the Lord, the King, causes everyone to fall at his feet. One may run away from the courts of other men, but where can one go to escape the Lord's Kingdom? The Lord is such a King, who abides in the hearts of His devotees; He brings the others, and makes them stand before His devotees. The glorious greatness of the Lord's Name is obtained only by His Grace; how few are the Gurmukhs who meditate on Him. || 14 ||

Monday 23rd Poh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 591)

SHALOK, THIRD MEHL:

Serving the Guru, peace is produced, and then, one does not suffer in pain. The cycle of birth and death is brought to an end, and death has no power over at all. His mind is imbued with the Lord, and he remains merged in the True Lord. O Nanak, I am a sacrifice to those who walk in the Way of the True Guru's Will. || 1 || THIRD MEHL: Without the Word of the Shabad, purity is not obtained, even though the soul-bride may adorn herself with all sorts of decorations. She does not know the value of her Husband Lord; she is attached to the love of duality. She is impure, and ill-mannered, O Nanak; among women, she is the most evil woman. || 2 || PAUREE: Be kind to me, Lord, that I might chant the Word of Your Bani. May I meditate on the Lord's Name, chant the Lord's Name, and obtain the profit of the Lord's Name. I am a sacrifice to those who chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, day and night. May I behold with my eyes those who worship and adore my Beloved True Guru. I am a sacrifice to my Guru, who has united me with my Lord, my friend, my very best friend. || 24 ||

Tuesday 24th Poh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 651)

SOOHEE, FIFTH MEHL:

An intense yearning to meet God has welled up in my heart. I have gone out searching to find my Beloved Husband Lord. Hearing news of my Beloved, I have laid out my bed in my home.. Wandering, wandering all around, I came, but I did not even see Him. || 1 || How can this poor heart be comforted? Come and meet me, O Friend; I am a sacrifice to You. || 1 || Pause || One bed is spread out for the bride and her Husband Lord. The bride is asleep, while her Husband Lord is always awake. The bride is intoxicated, as if she has drunk wine. The soul-bride only awakens when her Husband Lord calls to her. || 2 || She has lost hope ? so many days have passed. I have travelled through all the lands and the countries. I cannot survive, even for an instant, without the feet of my Beloved. When God becomes Merciful, I become fortunate, and then I meet Him. || 3 || Becoming Merciful, He has united me with the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation. The fire has been quenched, and I have found my Husband Lord within my own home. I am now adorned with all sorts of decorations. Says Nanak, the Guru has dispelled my doubt. || 4 || Wherever I look, I see my Husband Lord there, O Siblings of Destiny. When the door is opened, then the mind is restrained. || 1 || Second Pause || 5 ||

Wednesday 25th Poh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 737)

RAAG SORAT'H, THE WORD OF DEVOTEE KABEER JEE,

What use is it to read, and what use is it to study? What use is it to listen to the Vedas and the Puraanas? What use is reading and listening, if celestial peace is not attained? || 1 || The fool does not chant the Name of the Lord. So what does he think of, over and over again? || 1 || Pause || In the darkness, we need a lamp to find the incomprehensible thing. I have found this incomprehensible thing; my mind is illuminated and enlightened. || 2 || Says Kabeer, now I know Him; since I know Him, my mind is pleased and appeased. My mind is pleased and appeased, and yet, people do not believe it. They do not believe it, so what can I do? || 3 || 7 ||

Thursday 26th Poh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 655)

DHANAASAREE, FIRST MEHL:

My soul burns, over and over again. Burning and burning, it is ruined, and it falls into evil. That body, which forgets the Word of the Guru's Bani, cries out in pain, like a chronic patient. || 1 || To speak too much and babble is useless. Even without our speaking, He knows everything. || 1 || Pause || He created our ears, eyes and nose. He gave us our tongue to speak so fluently. He preserved the mind in the fire of the womb; at His Command, the wind blows everywhere. || 2 || These worldly attachments, loves and pleasurable tastes, all are just black stains. One who departs, with these black stains of sin on his face shall find no place to sit in the Court of the Lord. || 3 || By Your Grace, we chant Your Name. Becoming attached to it, one is saved; there is no other way. Even if one is drowning, still, he may be saved. O Nanak, the True Lord is the Giver of all. || 4 || 3 || 5 ||

Friday 27th Poh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 661)

TODEE, FIFTH MEHL:

I have enshrined the Lord’s Feet within my heart. Contemplating my Lord and Master, my True Guru, all my affairs have been resolved. || 1 || Pause || The merits of giving donations to charity and devotional worship come from the Kirtan of the Praises of the Transcendent Lord; this is the true essence of wisdom. Singing the Praises of the unapproachable, infinite Lord and Master, I have found immeasurable peace. || 1 || The Supreme Lord God does not consider the merits and demerits of those humble beings whom He makes His own. Hearing, chanting and meditating on the jewel of the Naam, I live; Nanak wears the Lord as his necklace. || 2 || 11 || 30 ||

Saturday 28th Poh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 718)

TILANG, SECOND HOUSE, FIFTH MEHL:

There is no other than You, Lord. You are the Creator; whatever You do, that alone happens. You are the strength, and You are the support of the mind. Forever and ever, meditate, O Nanak, on the One. || 1 || The Great Giver is the Supreme Lord God over all. You are our support, You are our sustainer. || Pause || You are, You are, and You shall ever be, O inaccessible, unfathomable, lofty and infinite Lord. Those who serve You, are not touched by fear or suffering. By Guru’s Grace, O Nanak, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. || 2 || Whatever is seen, is Your form, O treasure of virtue, O Lord of the Universe, O Lord of incomparable beauty. Remembering, remembering, remembering the Lord in meditation, His humble servant becomes like Him. O Nanak, by His Grace, we obtain Him. || 3 || I am a sacrifice to those who meditate on the Lord. Associating with them, the whole world is saved. Says Nanak, God fulfills our hopes and aspirations. I long for the dust of the feet of the Saints. || 4 || 2 ||

Sunday 29th Poh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 723)

SOOHEE, FIFTH MEHL:

The True Guru was satisfied with me, and blessed me with the Support of the Lord’s Lotus Feet. I am a sacrifice to the Lord. The Lord’s Ambrosial Nectar is an overflowing treasure; everything is in His Home. I am a sacrifice to the Lord. My Father is absolutely all-powerful. God is the Doer, the Cause of causes. Remembering Him in meditation, pain does not touch me; thus I cross over the terrifying world-ocean. In the beginning, and throughout the ages, He is the Protector of His devotees. Praising Him continually, I live. O Nanak, the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is the sweetest and most sublime essence. Night and day, I drink it in with my mind and body. || 1 || The Lord unites me with Himself; how could I feel any separation? I am a sacrifice to the Lord. One who has Your Support lives forever and ever. I am a sacrifice to the Lord. I take my support from You alone, O True Creator Lord. No one lacks this Support; such is my God. Meeting with the humble Saints, I sing the songs of joy; day and night, I place my hopes in You. I have obtained the Blessed Vision, the Darshan of the Perfect Guru. Nanak is forever a sacrifice. || 2 || Contemplating, dwelling upon the Lord’s true home, I receive honor, greatness and truth. I am a sacrifice to the Lord. Meeting the Merciful True Guru, I sing the Praises of the Imperishable Lord. I am a sacrifice to the Lord. Sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord of the Universe, continually, continuously; He is the Beloved Master of the breath of life. Good times have come; the Inner-knower, the Searcher of hearts, has met me, and hugged me close in His Embrace. The musical instruments of truth and contentment vibrate, and the unstruck melody of the sound current resounds. Hearing this, all my fears have been dispelled; O Nanak, God is the Primal Being, the Creator Lord. || 3 || The essence of spiritual wisdom has welled up; in this world, and the next, the One Lord is pervading. I am a sacrifice to the Lord. When God meets the God within the self, no one can separate them. I am a sacrifice to the Lord. I gaze upon the Wondrous Lord, and listen to the Wondrous Lord; the Wondrous Lord has come into my vision. The Perfect Lord and Master is pervading the water, the land and the sky, in each and every heart. I have merged again into the One from whom I originated. The value of this cannot be described. Nanak meditates on Him. || 4 || 2 ||

Monday 30th Poh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 778)

DHANAASAREE, FIFTH MEHL:

You are the Giver, O Lord, O Cherisher, my Master, my Husband Lord. Each and every moment, You cherish and nurture me; I am Your child, and I rely upon You alone. || 1 || I have only one tongue — which of Your Glorious Virtues can I describe? Unlimited, infinite Lord and Master — no one knows Your limits. || 1 || Pause || You destroy millions of my sins, and teach me in so many ways. I am so ignorant — I understand nothing at all. Please honor Your innate nature, and save me! || 2 || I seek Your Sanctuary — You are my only hope. You are my companion, and my best friend. Save me, O Merciful Saviour Lord; Nanak is the slave of Your home. || 3 || 12 ||

Tuesday 1st Maagh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 673)

RAAG SOOHEE, ASHTAPADEES, FOURTH MEHL, SECOND HOUSE:

ONE UNIVERSAL CREATOR GOD. BY THE GRACE OF THE TRUE GURU:

If only someone would come, and lead me to meet my Darling Beloved; I would sell myself to him. || 1 || I long for the Blessed Vision of the Lord’s Darshan. When the Lord shows Mercy unto me, then I meet the True Guru; I meditate on the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. || 1 || Pause || If You will bless me with happiness, then I will worship and adore You. Even in pain, I will meditate on You. || 2 || Even if You give me hunger, I will still feel satisfied; I am joyful, even in the midst of sorrow. || 3 || I would cut my mind and body apart into pieces, and offer them all to You; I would burn myself in fire. || 4 || I wave the fan over You, and carry water for You; whatever You give me, I take. || 5 || Poor Nanak has fallen at the Lord’s Door; please, O Lord, unite me with Yourself, by Your Glorious Greatness. || 6 || Taking out my eyes, I place them at Your Feet; after travelling over the entire earth, I have come to understand this. || 7 || If You seat me near You, then I worship and adore You. Even if You beat me and drive me out, I will still meditate on You. || 8 || If people praise me, the praise is Yours. Even if they slander me, I will not leave You. || 9 || If You are on my side, then anyone can say anything. But if I were to forget You, then I would die. || 10 || I am a sacrifice, a sacrifice to my Guru; falling at His Feet, I surrender to the Saintly Guru. || 11 || Poor Nanak has gone insane, longing for the Blessed Vision of the Lord’s Darshan. || 12 || Even in violent storms and torrential rain, I go out to catch a glimpse of my Guru. || 13 || Even though the oceans and the salty seas are very vast, the GurSikh will cross over it to get to his Guru. || 14 || Just as the mortal dies without water, so does the Sikh die without the Guru. || 15 || Just as the earth looks beautiful when the rain falls, so does the Sikh blossom forth meeting the Guru. || 16 || I long to be the servant of Your servants; I call upon You reverently in prayer. || 17 || Nanak offers this prayer to the Lord, that he may meet the Guru, and find peace. || 18 || You Yourself are the Guru, and You Yourself are the chaylaa, the disciple; through the Guru, I meditate on You. || 19 || Those who serve You, become You. You preserve the honor of Your servants. || 20 || O Lord, Your devotional worship is a treasure over-flowing. One who loves You, is blessed with it. || 21 || That humble being alone receives it, unto whom You bestow it. All other clever tricks are fruitless. || 22 || Remembering, remembering, remembering my Guru in meditation, my sleeping mind is awakened. || 23 || Poor Nanak begs for this one blessing, that he may become the slave of the slaves of the Lord. || 24 || Even if the Guru rebukes me, He still seems very sweet to me. And if He actually forgives me, that is the Guru’s greatness. || 25 || That which Gurmukh speaks is certified and approved. Whatever the self-willed manmukh says is not accepted. || 26 || Even in the cold, the frost and the snow, the GurSikh still goes out to see his Guru. || 27 || All day and night, I gaze upon my Guru; I install the Guru’s Feet in my eyes. || 28 || I make so many efforts for the sake of the Guru; only that which pleases the Guru is accepted and approved. || 29 || Night and day, I worship the Guru’s Feet in adoration; have Mercy upon me, O my Lord and Master. || 30 || The Guru is Nanak’ s body and soul; meeting the Guru, he is satisfied and satiated. || 31 || Nanak’ s God is perfectly permeating and all-pervading. Here and there and everywhere, the Lord of the Universe. || 32 || 1 ||

Wednesday 2nd Maagh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page : 757)

RAAG SOOHEE, FIFTH MEHL, FIFTH HOUSE, PARTAAL:

Love of the enticing Beloved Lord is the most glorious love. Meditate, O mind, on the One Lord of the Universe — nothing else is of any account. Attach your mind to the Saints, and abandon the path of duality. || 1 || Pause || The Lord is absolute and unmanifest; He has assumed the most sublime manifestation. He has fashioned countless body chambers of many, varied, different, myriad forms. Within them, the mind is the policeman; my Beloved lives in the temple of my inner self. He plays there in ecstasy. He does not die, and he never grows old. || 1 || He is engrossed in worldly activities, wandering around in various ways. He steals the property of others, and is surrounded by corruption and sin. But now, he joins the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, and stands before the Lord’s Gate. He obtains the Blessed Vision of the Lord’s Darshan. Nanak has met the Guru; he shall not be reincarnated again. || 2 || 1 || 44 ||

Thursday 3rd Maagh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 746)

SORAT’H, FIFTH MEHL:

Remembering, remembering God in meditation, bliss ensues, and one is rid of all suffering and pain. Singing the Glorious Praises of God, and meditating on Him, all my affairs are brought into harmony. || 1 || Your Name is the Life of the world. The Perfect Guru has taught me, that by meditating, I cross over the terrifying world-ocean. || Pause || You are Your own advisor; You hear everything, God, and You do everything. You Yourself are the Giver, and You Yourself are the Enjoyer. What can this poor creature do? || 2 || Which of Your Glorious Virtues should I describe and speak of? Your value cannot be described. I live by beholding, beholding You, O God. Your glorious greatness is wonderful and amazing! || 3 || Granting His Grace, God my Lord and Master Himself saved my honor, and my intellect has been made perfect. Forever and ever, Nanak is a sacrifice, longing for the dust of the feet of the Saints. || 4 || 13 || 63 ||

Friday 4th Maagh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 625)

WADAHANS, THIRD MEHL:

Egotism is opposed to the Name of the Lord; the two do not dwell in the same place. In egotism, selfless service cannot be performed, and so the mind goes unfulfilled. || 1 || O my mind, think of the Lord, and practice the Word of the Guru’s Shabad. If you submit to the Hukam of the Lord’s Command, you shall meet with the Lord, and then egotism will depart from within. || Pause || Egotism is within all bodies; through egotism, we come to be born. Egotism is utter darkness; in egotism, no one can understand anything. || 2 || In egotism, devotional worship cannot be performed, and the Hukam of the Lord’s Command cannot be understood. In egotism, the soul is in bondage, and the Naam does not come to abide in the mind. || 3 || O Nanak, meeting with the True Guru, egotism is eliminated, and then, the True One comes to dwell in the mind. Practicing Truth, abiding in Truth, and serving Truth, one is absorbed in the True One. || 4 || 9 || 12 ||

Saturday 5th Maagh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 560)

DAYV-GANDHAAREE

O mother, I hear of death, and think of it, and I am filled with fear. Renouncing ‘mine and yours’ and egotism, I have sought the Sanctuary of the Lord and Master. || 1 || Pause || Whatever He says, I accept that as good. I do not say “No†to what He says. Let me not forget Him, even for an instant; forgetting Him, I die. || 1 || The Giver of peace, God, the Perfect Creator, endures my great ignorance. I am worthless, ugly and of low birth, O Nanak, but my Husband Lord is the embodiment of bliss. || 2 || 3 ||

Sunday 6th Maagh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 529)

TODEE, FIFTH MEHL:

Without understanding, his coming into the world is useless. He puts on various ornaments and many decorations, but it is like dressing a corpse. || Pause || With great effort and exertion, the miser works to gather in the riches of Maya. He does not give anything in charity or generosity, and he does not serve the Saints; his wealth does not do him any good at all. || 1 || The soul-bride puts on her ornaments, embellishes her bed, and fashions decorations. But if she does not obtain the company of her Husband Lord, the sight of these decorations only brings her pain. || 2 || The man works all day long, threshing the husks with the pestle. He is depressed, like a forced laborer, and so he is of no use to his own home. || 3 || But when God shows His Mercy and Grace, He implants the Naam, the Name of the Lord, within the heart. Search the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, O Nanak, and find the sublime essence of the Lord. || 4 || 2 || 4 ||

Monday 7th Maagh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 712)

BAIRAAREE, FOURTH MEHL:

The Lord’s humble servant sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord’s Name. Even if someone slanders the Lord’s humble servant, he does not give up his own goodness. || 1 || Pause || Whatever the Lord and Master does, He does by Himself; the Lord Himself does the deeds. The Lord and Master Himself imparts understanding; the Lord Himself inspires us to speak. || 1 || The Lord Himself directs the evolution of the world of the five elements; He Himself infuses the five senses into it. O servant Nanak, the Lord Himself unites us with the True Guru; He Himself resolves the conflicts. || 2 || 3 ||

Tuesday 8th Maagh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 719)

WADAHANS, FIRST MEHL:

O Baba, whoever has come, will rise up and leave; this world is a false show. One’s true home is obtained by serving the True One; real Truth comes by being truthful. By falsehood and greed, no place of rest is found, and no place in the world hereafter is obtained. No one invites him to come in and sit down — he is like a crow in a deserted house. Caught in birth and death, separated from God for such a long time, the whole world is wasting away. Greed, worldly entanglements and Maya deceive the world.Death hovers over its head, and makes it cry. || 1 || Come, O Baba, and Siblings of Destiny — let’s join together; take me in your arms, and bless me with your prayers. O Baba, union with the True One cannot be broken; bless me with your prayers for union with my Beloved. Bless me with your prayers, that I may worship God with devotion; for those already united with Him, what more is there to unite? Some have wandered away from the Name of God — they have lost the Path. The Word of the Guru’s Shabad is the true game. Do not go on the path of Death; remain absorbed in the Shabad, the true form throughout the ages. Through good fortune, we meet such friends and relatives, who meet with the Guru, and escape the noose of Death. || 2 || O Baba, we come into the world naked, into pain and pleasure, according to the record of our account. The call of our pre-ordained destiny cannot be altered; it follows from our past actions. The True Lord sits and writes of ambrosial nectar and bitter poison; as the Lord attaches us, so are we attached. The charmer, Maya, has worked her charms, and the multi-colored thread is around everyone’s neck. Through shallow intellect, the mind becomes shallow, and one eats the fly, along with the sweets. Contrary to custom, he comes into the Dark Age of Kali Yuga naked, and naked he is bound down and sent away again. || 3 || O Baba, weep and mourn if you must; the beloved soul is bound and driven off. The pre-ordained record of destiny cannot be erased; the summons has come from the Lord’s Court. The messenger comes, when it pleases God, and the mourners begin to mourn. Sons, brothers, nephews and very dear friends weep and wail. Let him weep, who weeps in the Fear of God, cherishing the virtues of God — no one dies with the dead. O Nanak, throughout the ages, they are known as wise, who weep, remembering the True One. || 4 || 5 ||

SORAT’H, THIRD MEHL, FIRST HOUSE, TI-TUKAS:

You always preserve the honor of Your devotees, O Dear Lord; You have protected them from the very beginning of time. You protected Your servant Prahlaad, O Dear Lord, and annihilated Harnaakhash. The Gurmukhs place their faith in the Dear Lord, but the self-willed manmukhs are deluded by doubt. || 1 || O Dear Lord, this is Your Glory. You preserve the honor of Your devotees, O Lord Master; Your devotees seek Your Sanctuary. || Pause || The Messenger of Death cannot touch Your devotees; death cannot even approach them. The Name of the Lord alone abides in their minds; through the Naam, the Name of the Lord, they find liberation. Wealth and all the spiritual powers of the Siddhis fall at the feet of the Lord’s devotees; they obtain peace and poise from the Guru. || 2 || The self-willed manmukhs have no faith; they are filled with greed and self-interest. They are not Gurmukh — they do not understand the Word of the Shabad in their hearts; they do not love the Naam, the Name of the Lord. Their masks of falsehood and hypocrisy shall fall off; the self-willed manmukhs speak with insipid words. || 3 || You are pervading through Your devotees, O Dear God; through Your devotees, You are known.All the people are enticed by Maya; they are Yours, Lord — You alone are the Architect of Destiny. Overcoming my egotism and quieting the desires within my mind, I have come to realize the Word of the Guru’s Shabad. || 4 || God automatically does the work of those who love the Name of the Lord. By Guru’s Grace, he ever dwells in their minds, and He resolves all their affairs. Whoever challenges them is destroyed; they have the Lord God as their Savior. || 5 || Without serving the True Guru, no one finds the Lord; the self-willed manmukhs die crying out in pain. They come and go, and find no place of rest; in pain and suffering, they perish. But one who becomes Gurmukh drinks in the Ambrosial Nectar, and is easily absorbed in the True Name. || 6 || Without serving the True Guru, one cannot escape reincarnation, even by performing numerous rituals. Those who read the Vedas, and argue and debate without the Lord, lose their honor. True is the True Guru, and True is the Word of His Bani; in the Guru’s Sanctuary, one is saved. || 7 || Those whose minds are filled with the Lord are judged as true in the Court of the Lord; they are hailed as true in the True Court. Their praises echo throughout the ages, and no one can erase them. Nanak is forever a sacrifice to those who enshrine the Lord within their hearts. || 8 || 1 ||

Thursday 10th Maagh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 637)

SOOHEE, FOURTH MEHL:

Wherever the Lord is worshipped in adoration, there the Lord becomes one’s friend and helper. By Guru’s Grace, the Lord comes to dwell in the mind; He cannot be obtained in any other way. || 1 || So gather in the wealth of the Lord, O Siblings of Destiny, so that in this world and the next, the Lord shall be your friend and companion. || 1 || Pause || In the company of the Sat Sangat, the True Congregation, you shall earn the wealth of the Lord; this wealth of the Lord is not obtained anywhere else, by any other means, at all. The dealer in the Lord’s Jewels purchases the wealth of the Lord’s jewels; the dealer in cheap glass jewels cannot acquire the Lord’s wealth by empty words. || 2 || The Lord’s wealth is like jewels, gems and rubies. At the appointed time in the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours of the morning, the Lord’s devotees lovingly center their attention on the Lord, and the wealth of the Lord. The devotees of the Lord plant the seed of the Lord’s wealth in the ambrosial hours of the Amrit Vaylaa; they eat it, and spend it, but it is never exhausted. In this world and the next, the devotees are blessed with glorious greatness, the wealth of the Lord. || 3 || The wealth of the Fearless Lord is permanent, forever and ever, and true. This wealth of the Lord cannot be destroyed by fire or water; neither thieves nor the Messenger of Death can take it away. Thieves cannot even approach the Lord’s wealth; Death, the tax collector cannot tax it. || 4 || The faithless cynics commit sins and gather in their poisonous wealth, but it shall not go along with them for even a single step. In this world, the faithless cynics become miserable, as it slips away through their hands. In the world hereafter, the faithless cynics find no shelter in the Court of the Lord. || 5 || The Lord Himself is the Banker of this wealth, O Saints; when the Lord gives it, the mortal loads it and takes it away. This wealth of the Lord is never exhausted; the Guru has given this understanding to servant Nanak. || 6 || 3 || 10 ||

Friday 11th Maagh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page:733)

TODEE, 5th GURU, 5th HOUSE, DU-PADAS:

Such is the blessing my God has bestowed upon me. He has totally banished the five evils and the illness of egotism from my body. || Pause || Breaking my bonds, and releasing me from vice and corruption, He has enshrined the Word of the Guru’s Shabad within my heart. The Lord has not considered my beauty or ugliness; instead, He has held me with love. I am drenched with His Love. || 1 || I behold my Beloved, now that the curtain has been torn away. My mind is happy, pleased and satisfied. My house is His; He is my God. Nanak is obedient to His Lord and Master. || 2 || 1 || 20 ||

Saturday 12th Maagh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 716)

RAAMKALEE, FIFTH MEHL:

Some pass their lives enjoying pleasures and beauty. Some pass their lives with their mothers, fathers and children. Some pass their lives in power, estates and trade. The Saints pass their lives with the support of the Lord’s Name. || 1 || The world is the creation of the True Lord. He alone is the Master of all. || 1 || Pause || Some pass their lives in arguments and debates about scriptures. Some pass their lives tasting flavors. Some pass their lives attached to women. The Saints are absorbed only in the Name of the Lord. || 2 || Some pass their lives gambling. Some pass their lives getting drunk. Some pass their lives stealing the property of others. The humble servants of the Lord pass their lives meditating on the Naam. || 3 || Some pass their lives in Yoga, strict meditation, worship and adoration. Some, in sickness, sorrow and doubt. Some pass their lives practicing control of the breath. The Saints pass their lives singing the Kirtan of the Lord’s Praises. || 4 || Some pass their lives walking day and night. Some pass their lives on the fields of battle. Some pass their lives teaching children. The Saints pass their lives singing the Lord’s Praise. || 5 || Some pass their lives as actors, acting and dancing. Some pass their lives taking the lives of others. Some pass their lives ruling by intimidation. The Saints pass their lives chanting the Lord’s Praises. || 6 || Some pass their lives counseling and giving advice. Some pass their lives forced to serve others. Some pass their lives exploring life’s mysteries. The Saints pass their lives drinking in the sublime essence of the Lord. || 7 || As the Lord attaches us, so we are attached. No one is foolish, and no one is wise. Nanak is a sacrifice, a sacrifice to those who are blessed by His Grace to receive His Name. || 8 || 3 ||

Sunday 13th Maagh (Samvat 535 Nanakshahi) (Page: 914)