15 Days With Sant Baba Maan Singh (DAY 12)

Day 12 : Drink Amrit, Live Forever - part B

Yesterday we talked about Amrit. If there?s anything that can make a human being into a jeevan-mukat (liberated while still living) then that thing is Amrit. Amrit is the one thing that liberates us from birth and death and makes us immortal.

Guru Amar Das jee says in Anand Sahib that the gods, men and silent saintly servants search for Amrit, but it can only be found with the Guru, "Sur nar mun jan amrit khojde su amrit gur te pa-i-aa".

Everyone searches for Amrit, but only Guru Gobind Singh jee can give it. Guru Granth Sahib jee says, "Amrit Bhagat bhandar ha Gur Satgur pasayh." Amrit is the treasure of the Saints and resides with the Guru. Great Sages (Rishees) and silent saints went looking for Amrit, but never found it. Only the ones who went to the True Guru and had the Guru?s blessings received it. No one else was given Amrit without the Guru?s blessing... "Pai-aa amrit Gur kirpa keenee."

Khalsa jee, reach Ludhiana Town in your mind. The Khalsa army?s general, our Master Guru Gobind Singh, was riding Neela, the horse. Guru jee?s glance fell upon a tombstone. A superstitious Fakeer, a Muslim holy man, had dug his own grave at the tombstone and was sitting inside a coffin because he was afraid of Death.

The fear of Death is so great, that just by hearing it?s name, great men turn yellow with fear. On hearing Death?s name men went to hide up in the mountain caves, but Death didn?t spare them. King Off-la-too had great spiritual powers. When Death came to get him he created 40 stone statues of himself and hid between them so that Death wouldn?t be able to tell which one was the real King Off-la-too. Death came and left confused and crying. In desparation, Death came to Waheguru jee?s door. Waheguru jee asked, "Why are you crying?" Death replied, "You have given me the duty of bringing Off-la-too, but I could not tell which one was real and which one was false, there were too many Off-la-too?s." Waheguru jee said, "There?s no need to cry, it is not something worth crying about. Go there again and speak to the Off-la-too statues. The real Off-la-too will expose himself by replying...."

The reason for receiving amrit is so that we are not caught by death. To avoid death you need a formula. Amrit is the formula. Sant Ishar Singh jee said that dying is more painful than being struck by 100 swords at once. Nay, it is even more painful than 100 swords power combined into one mighty sword and one thousand of these mighty swords striking you. People asked Bhagat Kabeer jee, "Baba jee, when a guru-less person dies Jam Doot, the angel of death, comes to get them. We have heard it is an extremely terrible experience. Tell us what happens Baba jee." Bhagat Kabeer jee said this Salok (verse), "Kabeer Jam ka tinga bura ha_Kabeer says the Death-hunter is very bad." Khalsa jee, this is Gurbani - it is true in all four ages. Guru Granth Sahib jee?s conclusions are eternal statements of truth. These profound verses of truth do not waver this way or that. "Kabeer Jam ka tinga bura ha_Kabeer says the Death-hunter is very bad."

Bhagat Kabeer jee said, "I can?t tell you how dreadful death?s strike is." The people said, "Each illness has a cure, Baba jee, tell us a cure for death." Kabeer jee said in the next line of the verse that the only cure is to find a perfect Guru who can save you.

The path that death takes us on is sharper then a sword. People ask, "How can a body be taken on narrow path like that?" There are two things we have - a body and a spirit. In a dream if a snake bites us, our body doen?t suffer. We are crying on the inside, we are crying in the dream. However, when the police catch a thief and beat him, he cries on the outside. The spirit crying on the inside is different from the body crying on the outside. Death will get hold of the inside spirit.

In the second Astpadee (verse) of the psalm of peace called Sukmanee Sahib, Guru Arjun Dev jee teaches us that the path is dark and difficult and there are no friends nor anyone else alongside us. Only Naam, God?s Name, will help us. The path on which there is no shelter then on that path Naam will shade us.

....Death came back to King Offlatoo?s palace and began to praise some statues and to insult others. He was trying to trick the real one into speaking...

Khalsa jee, look at us, we don?t prepare for the next world we have to live in, we have made no plans for leaving this world. We have settled into this world and live comfortably day and night, never giving a thought to the fact that one day we have to go.

..Death came to the first statue and said told it that his forehead was nice, but his eyes were horrible. Death told the next Offlatoo that his teeth stick out. The real Offlatoo could bear the insults no longer and shouted, "Who are you to insult my statues?" Death turned around quickly and said, "Now I?ve found you!" Death painfully pulled his spirit right out of his body.

...Guru Gobind Singh saw the tombstone and said, "Bhai Daya Singh jee, go and get the Fakeer who is sitting in the grave behind the tombstone. He has done good deeds in his past lives, now his time has come to be blessed with the rewards he deserves"

A man that is not blessed can have a harmonium-vaja and tabla-drums tied to his ears, but he?ll still be deaf to the Guru?s Word and refuse to receive amrit. When a person?s previous good deeds awaken then and only then do they reach the Guru?s Lotus Feet, (Charan). Without good deeds a man won?t even think of entering into the Holy Congregation, Sadh-Sangat, if he comes he can?t sit , if he sits he can?t listen, if he listens he can?t believe, if he believes he can?t do. We need our good deeds to awaken in order to reach the Guru?s Lotus Feet. We have performed countless good actions in our previous lives, because of these virtues we have been blessed with a human body. But virtues aren?t gathered by drinking alcohol. Virtues are gathered by singing God?s praises. O Sangat jee, it?s not to late, there?s still time to change your ways. The past has gone - we can?t change it. It is by great-good fortune that we have been born as humans.

Bhai Nand Lal jee, the Guru?s favourite poet, came to Guru Gobind Singh jee. He was greatly blessed. He came dressed as a warrior with a sword. In his mind he thought warriors were more pleasing to Guru Gobind Singh jee than poets. Guru Gobind Singh jee asked, "What?s all this?" Bhai Nand Lal jee answered humbly, "Bless me Guru jee, so I can go and fight alongside the Khalsa and win your love." Guru Gobind Singh jee said, "O Nand Lal jee, what need is there for you to pick up a sword? Your pen is your sword!" Bhai Nand Lal jee was very happy with the answer, but over the next few days it lead to ego in his mind. Guru Gobind Singh jee destroyed his ego - observe the ingenious method. Guru Gobind Singh jee called him into his presence and told the Sikhs to prepare a special drink called Sukh Nidhan. SatGuru jee told him to drink it. Bhai Nand Lal jee drank his fill and his inner eye opened. He replied in a state of wonder, "Guru jee, I had ego that I was the greatest poet, but now I have realised

your greatness and I am nothing in comparison." Guru Gobind Singh jee said to him, "Ask for something Nand Lal." He said, "Kalgee-a-valeh, Guru adorned with the royal plume, there is nothing to ask for. I?ve full faith that I?m your Sikh and that you?ll save me..."

An old man was going to die, he said, "Son, promise to leave a bottle of alcohol next to me!" I said to him drink amrit instead, he replied, "Sant jee, I?m too old now, I haven?t got any teeth so what?s the point?" I said, "You don?t have to chew amrit!" He made more excuses and said, "Sant jee, I?ll take it in the next world." I said you?ll find the Divine Judge before the Punj Pyare.? Then I asked him, "Do you eat meat?" He replied, "Sant jee, I can?t eat it, but I do drink the sauce." I said, "You let a bowl of spicy sauce enter your mouth, but you refuse to let the Guru?s sweet-sweet amrit enter. Why? Have the police put a barrier up?"

...Bhai Nand Lal jee said to Guru jee, "I have full faith you will save me and not let me be reborn." Guru Gobind Singh jee said once again, "Ask for something." Bhai Nand Lal jee said, "What should I ask? I may ask for something that leads me to bad actions and re-incarnation." Then he continued and humbly requested, "Guru jee always give me understanding of your mysterious ways of right and wrong."

People say to me, "I?ll take amrit one day, but now is the time to eat, drink and be merry!" But they don?t understand that there is no guarantee of a long life. Some die in the womb, some in the cradle, some in the prime of youth. There are no guarantees.

Bhai Daya Singh jee said to Guru Gobind Singh jee, "But there will be no-one in the open grave - all I can see is an empty tombstone." Guru Gobind Singh jee said, "Don?t talk to much Daya Singh, just obey the instructions!" Bhai Daya Singh jee went and found a large coffin at the bottom of the grave. He knocked on it.

One day Sant Attar Singh jee asked an old man to recieve amrit, he wouldn?t. Sant jee left him and continued on with his pilgrimage to Hazoor Sahib. The day before he returned the old man died. Before he died he thought to himself, "Sant jee asked me to receive amrit, I should have drank it while I could." When he died people prepared the cremation site and ignited the wood, but the flames wouldn?t go near his body. Sant Attar Singh jee arrived at the scene and requested the Sikhs to remove the wood. Sant jee explained that even if the flames did reach his body he still wouldn?t burn because his soul was stuck at the Dasam Duar - Tenth Gate, and is waiting for amrit. Amrit was prepared and poured into his mouth. He was told to say, "Waheguru jee ka Khalsa Waheguru jee ki Fateh." The dead man?s spirit spoke it! Amrit brings the dead to life - such is it?s power.

Another time Sant Attar Singh jee requested his mother to receive amrit. She wouldn?t. Khalsa jee, I plead with women to receive amrit, but they say things like, "O my husband is going to recieve it and I?ll be blessed to." But, I say remember Guru Nanak Dev jee?s words "karmee apo apnee, ke nerai ke dhoor_our actions are our own, some are close to God and some are far away." Sant Attar Singh jee continued, "Mata jee, dearest mother, recieve amrit and make your life successful." She said, "O don?t worry about me son, I?ll take amrit one day." Sadly, she passed away soon afterwards. Sant Attar Singh jee was in a nearby village administrating Amrit as part of the Punj Pyare. After the ceremony he got the message of his mother?s demise and he quickly returned home. Thousands of people had already gathered. All her life she had never missed her daily prayers and meditation (Nitnem and Naam), but she had never received amrit. Amrit has to be received by a person on the spiritual path so that they can reap

the fruits of their spiritual labouring. For example, one particular fruit tree?s seeds don?t germinate until a bird eats the fruit and wherever the bird?s droppings fall the undigested seed takes root. Nitnem and Naam is the seed, but until you recieve amrit from the Punj Pyare it?s not going to take root and grow in you. Sant Attar Singh jee?s mother?s body was prepared for cremation. In the next world the Divine Judge, Dharam Raj, was reading her life?s accounts. He said, "I can?t send you to hell because you are the mother of a great Sant. But, I can?t send you to God?s Realm, Sach Khand, because you didn?t recieve amrit. So I am going to do one thing for you, your body hasn?t been cremated yet, go back to the world, recieve amrit then return." The gathering was shocked when Mata jee rose up and told the story of her accounts with Dharam Raj and that he had given her two more days in which to receive amrit. Sant Attar Singh jee as part of the Punj Pyare prepared amrit and about 20,000 people wer

e blessed with the great gift of amrit.

It is not easy prepare that much amrit. When Sant Attar Singh jee used to sing Waheguru jee?s praises by doing kirtan, rivers used to stop flowing! Sants like this are few and far between. 20,000 people came, not all of them had the 5K uniform, Sant jee said receive amrit and put your 5Ks on as soon as you get home. The 5Ks are tremendously important but the prayer of a Sant is heard by Guru jee and flexibility is allowed in exceptional circumstances. The Punj Pyare were exhausted, line after line of people received the amrit-nectar. O Khalsa jee, she was the mother of a Sant so she was allowed to come back, but who?s going to let us come back?

Back on the soil of Ludhiana Town, Guru Gobind Singh jee said, "Daya Singh jee don?t talk to much, go and get the man that?s hiding in the coffin." Daya Singh knocked on the coffin, the Fakeer spoke, "If you are Death knocking on the door then I?m not coming out!" Daya Singh returned to Guru Gobind Singh jee and said, "He won?t come out, he?s terrified of death." Guru jee said, "O Daya Singh jee, lets go and remove his fear of death." Daya Singh jee knock again and get him out. The Fakeer said, "Respected Brother, Bhai Sahib, go about your business and leave me alone." Bhai Daya Singh jee replied, "O foolish one, your past good deeds have awoken, come out and meet Guru Gobind Singh jee."

The Fakeer stepped out looking cautiously over his shoulder. Guru Gobind Singh jee said, "O superstitious one what are you looking for,? he said ?Death may come and get me." Guru Gobind Singh jee said "O superstitious one don?t you know death is the water carrier for my Khalsa!" Guru Gobind Singh jee said, "Your past actions are good, now what happens in your future depends on whether or not you obey what I say. To become a doctor you need an education. To become a Khalsa and have death as your servant you need to obey the code of conduct - Rehat Maryada.

Guru Gobind Singh jee asked, "Do you want your fear to be removed?" Khalsa jee, a Muslim or Hindu or any other can receive amrit and become a Khalsa brother or sister. Recieving amrit has nothing to do with caste or colour. Guru Nanak Dev Jee says in Asa dee Var, "Agay Jat na Jor ha agay jee-o nivay_In the next world there is neither caste nor status, only the humble live." Guru Gobind Singh jee said, "Jo Sikha kee puchay jat, O nee Sikh mera Ad jugad_The one who asks Sikhs their caste is not my Sikh in any Age."

Guru Gobind Singh said to the Fakeer, "Obey my instructions, the rehat maryada, and your fear of death will be removed. Recieve amrit and your fear will be destroyed." The Fakeer replied, "Remove my fear and I?ll do anything for you." Amrit was prepared and the Muslim Fakeer became a Khalsa brother. The Khalsa?s father is Immortal God, Akal Purakh, the father has no caste and neither does his child. Guru Gobind Singh jee changed the man?s name to Ajmer Singh and asked him, "Tell me the truth, do you still fear death?" He said, "No Guru jee. I used to hide from death, but now I?m a changed man, if death was to come and stand infront of me I would grab it with both hands and toss it aside!"

When the Khalsa rules there will be no bad people, because no-one will think of doing bad things to anyone. Sant Ishar Singh jee used to say, "To think bad of another person is just as bad as doing the deed - we are here to help others not to destroy them." If the whole world became Khalsa like this Fakeer did then we?ll have no one doing bad things. Guru jee teaches us that if a Khalsa takes away another person?s rights, then it like a Hindu eating beef or a Muslim eating pork. Today we eat our own food selfishly and pounce on our neighbours belongings as well. What will become of us?

Our vision should reach the highest state so that we see any older woman as our own mother, any woman of our age as our own sister and any younger woman as our daughter. It?s not for nothing that Baba Deep Singh jee was able to fight with his head in his hand. He had this highest state of mind. The following incident highlights this. A princess was so beautiful that everyone that saw her fell in love with her. After her marriage on her way to the state of Rajput, the Pathan soldiers robbed her jewels and killed her guards. Baba Deep Singh jee heard the cries from the jungle and this brave Khalsa rode into action. He saved her honour without laying a finger on her. The custom in those days was that the victorious soldiers could do as they please with any women they found?.

Hari Singh Nalwa was a great General serving Shera-Punjab Maharaja Ranjit Singh. One time Hari Singh commanded 23,000 troops as they faced the Turk Army. Akalee Phoola Singh and Sham Singh Taree were 2 more great generals and standing along with Hari singh they were ready for war. An English reporter saw it and said, "In their blue turbans and blue battle-dress (bana), the Guru?s Khalsa look like if God himself has come to fight. Like God Himself has recieved amrit and came to fight as the Khalsa!" Someone said to the opposing General Mohammed Khan, so long as Hari Singh is 100% in following his Guru?s code of conduct (rehat maryada) you may as well give up hope of beating Maharaja Ranjit Singh. General Mohammed Khan had 7 wives, he said to the prettiest one, "I?ve heard the Khalsa doesn?t lay a finger on other women. They treat older women as their mothers and younger ones as their daughters. But I don?t believe it, I want you to go sneek into their camp and corrupt Hari Singh Nalwa with your charms." T

he general?s wife was beautiful, she decorated herself and sneeked into Hari Singh?s camp. Hari Singh asked, "Who are you?" She replied sweetly, "Baba jee I?ve come to ask for something"

A Sikh never turns away the needy. One day the world will understand Sikh philosophy, someone asked me, "How come the Sikhs are the only ones to serve free food?" I replied, "In our religion people line up to give their heads so what?s so different in making lines of people to eat!" As time progresses the world will understand Sikh philosophy. Sometimes we refuse to give a beggar even 2 rupees or 2 chipattees, but we forget that our Guru is the Cherisher-of-the-Poor, Gareeb-Nivaaj. We forget that mouth of the poor one is the Guru?s money-box (gareeb da moo - guru da golak). The poor one is the life of the Guru.

...Hari Singh said to the beautiful princess, "O Mata jee, dearest Mother, a Sikh never turns away anyone empty handed, so ask what you have to ask." She said, "Baba jee, I need a son like you." He replied, "A son like Hari Singh can only be born to Hari Singh?s mother, no other mother can make a son like Hari Singh. Mata jee, a Sikh never turns anyone away empty handed, O Mata jee sit down." He continued, "Mata jee, I am not going to make another Hari Singh with you, it is better that you see ME as your own son!" The general?s wife was greatly moved, she went back to General Mohammed Khan and said, "O foolish husband, give up any hope of beating the Khalsa they have too much honour."

...Back in the jungle, Baba Deep Singh jee had heard the screaming princess and sounded the battle-cry Jakara - Bolay So Nihal -SAT-SREE-AKAAL! Firmly holding the Khanda, he killed 3 or 4 Pathan soldiers. The others were falling over themselves trying to flee. He saw the princess, her hair was all over the place she was terrified. He said, "O daughter, who are you? Let me take you home." She said, "Baba jee, my father made a great mistake by marrying me into the house of a Rajput. What kind of husband is he who couldn?t even protect my honour. I would never have been attacked if I had married a Khalsa. O Baba jee, make me into your servant and keep me in your house." Baba Deep Singh jee said, "O daughter, you are talking nonsense! Worldly relationships are worth nothing. Because of love for God, I love you even more than my own mother, daughter and sister." These were the Khalsa, this is the Khalsa that will rule the world when we say Raj Karega Khalsa (The Khalsa Will Rule). In that future no-one

will take another?s right, no-one will lie and those Sikhs will ask for everyone?s well being ?sarbatt da bhalla.?

O Sangat jee, beloved congregation, time is slipping out of our hands. Receive amrit. If after hearing all these things you still refuse to recieve amrit then I don?t believe that you ever can. One day when you go in front of the Divine Judge, Dharam Raj, will you say I never knew about amrit? When Dharam Raj asks, "Didn?t the dog from Rara Sahib (i.e. Baba Maan Singh) come and tell you?" Will you lie and say you never knew?

Remember your actions take you close or far away from God. Sangat jee, I?ve sat here for 2 hours tonight, back in Punjab we start at 8pm and finish at 2am on some occasions. Receive amrit, you wont get this time again. Sant Ishar Singh jee told me

1) Don?t beg

2) Don?t keep any gifts that come your way

3) Don?t turn into a recluse

4) Go all over India and the world lighting the lamps of Sikhi

Dear sisters, daughters and mothers, have you ever thought you are the daughter of Guru Gobind Singh jee, Kalgi Dhar Patshah - the King with the royal plume? The day you start thinking that you are the sons and daughters of Guru Kalgi Dhar Patshah will be the day when your stomach will turn as you enter a hairdresser?s shop. It will be the day when you stop insulting your body pores by refusing to pluck your eyebrows. I?m requesting my sisters, O my sisters, to start thinking how ridiculous it is to enter a hairdresser?s shop to get eyebrows plucked and haircut. O my brothers, you can?t call yourself a Sikh if you?ve cut your hair and beard. Guru Gobind Singh jee says, "Rehnee Reh Soee Sikh mereh_My Sikh is the one who lives according to my code of conduct."

Khalsa jee always remember that you are the sons and daughters of Guru Gobind Singh jee you are the residents of Anandpur Sahib, the City of Joy, and your spiritual mother is Mata Sahib Kaur jee.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh !

Thanks for reading Sangat Jee.........

look out for Day 13