Is Sikhism "Reformed Hinduism" ?

Lalleswari once said : we should consider Sikhs being the original Hindus...

Please discuss.

You have to remember that the word Hinduism refers to the whole of Indian subcontinent's many religious traditions and philosophies.Many with opposing beliefs and practices.

Some of India's religions are very puratanical and some consider the eating of meat and drinking of alcohol a compulsory practice of their beliefs.Some traditions are sacred, some profane.Most people only know moorti puja aspect of Hinduism.

It's not just Sikhi which frowns upon idol worship.I can only think of a Tamil adept called Chivavaakkiyar who rejected the Veda, condemned the caste sytem and idol worship and even rejected the doctrine of rebirth (punar janam).

Sikhi is not Hinduism.Sikhi comes from Paarbrahm, therefore it is Timeless.

Sikhi is Dharam - Gyaan in it's original form for the whole of this planet.It is the original form of Gyaan.

Please take no offence...

If Sikhi is true Dharma then why is it that Sikhs are alienated from the country of their origin ?

Cant Sikhs be called Hindus (I mean natives of Hindustan.) ? Why are we agitated if we are called Hindus... by claiming ourselves to be original hindus don't you think sikhs would eliminate identity crisis they found themselves to be in...

PS : By Hindus I mean natives of a place called Hindustan...

Then who are so called Hindus ? Is there anything called Hindu Religion? Is it necessary to have a separate country for each Religions propunded. Should countries be divided based on Religion or Culture.?

I think religion should be a personal choice. Then there is a positive in Hinduism... it supports choice for a personal God ? ...33 Crores Devtaes but then that would mean that there should be 33 crores countries ? I hope you getting myself... :roll:

Then who are so called Hindus ? Is there anything called Hindu Religion? Is it necessary to have a separate country for each Religions propunded. Should countries be divided based on Religion or Culture.?

I think religion should be a personal choice. Then there is a positive in Hinduism... it supports choice for a personal God ? ...33 Crores Devtaes but then that would mean that there should be 33 crores countries ? I hope you getting myself... :roll:

Hinduism is not just 33 crores Devtas and Devtees. Hinduism is umbrella form, which is given to lots of traditions and philosophies all together.

http://hinduwebsite.com/hinduintrod1.htm

Is Hinduism a Religion ?

Truly speaking, when we talk of Hinduism, we do not know whether we are talking about a religion, or a group of religions, or a group of beliefs and traditions, some of which are diametrically opposed to each other. This some times gives rise to the argument that Hinduism cannot be considered as a religion in the strictest sense of the word, but as a concept that incorporates into itself many religious thoughts and world views.

What do we mean by the word "Hindu" and "Hinduism"?

Hinduism differs from other organized religions in the following aspects:

It is not based upon a particular founder.

It is not based upon a particular book.

It is not controlled by a central institution or authority such as a church or a sangha or association.

It is not averse to examine and assimilate fundamentally diverse thoughts and beliefs into its system.

It accepts other religions as various paths to salvation and does not favor organized attempts to proselytize people.

It has been evolving continuously, through internal reforms and as a reaction to the threats and challenges without.

Definition of CULT:

1. religion: a system of religious or spiritual beliefs, especially an informal and transient belief system regarded by others as misguided or unorthodox

2. religious group: a group of people who share religious or spiritual beliefs

3. idolization of somebody or something: extreme or excessive admiration for a person, philosophy of life, or activity ( often used before a noun )

a cult following

4. object of idolization: a person, philosophy, or activity regarded with extreme or excessive admiration

5. fad: something popular or fashionable among a devoted group of enthusiasts ( often used before a noun )

cult status

6. ethnology system of supernatural beliefs: a body of organized practices and beliefs supposed to involve interaction with and control over supernatural powers

7. elite group: a self-identified group of people who share a narrowly defined interest or perspective

Bhull chukk maaf

and forgive my limited knowledge :)

Guest Javanmard

when I said that when confronted with RSS we Sikhs should reply that we are the real Hindus whereas they were fake I menat it to be tactics. I just can't believe how people can be so petty and literal :evil:

Guest Javanmard

Hinduism is neither a cult nor a religion. It is a construct established during the British by Orientalist scholars and the Smarta Brahmin elite and adopted via education by the emerging middle classes who started to impose their values on the rest of society.

see Richard King, Orientalism and Religion, London: Routledge, 1999.

Yeah! Good reply Lalleshwari and i'm glad you back. Actually if we see its so hard to understand Hinduism. I mean I was talking to this south Indian and I asked him if they burn "Ravan" as well after doing Ram-leela? He was kind of upset and his anwser was " We don't follow nonsense of Gujrati Hindus".... I mean there is worship done by few and others burn him as demon and both are Hindus.

when I said that when confronted with RSS we Sikhs should reply that we are the real Hindus whereas they were fake I menat it to be tactics. I just can't believe how people can be so petty and literal :evil:

Haan Ji... People are indeed petty and literal... and thats what people actaully are... we can not change them... :) And certainly not everyone can be a divine thinker as dear lalleshwari Penji... :D

Can you elaborate on your tactics a little further... My little intellect can't think any further then your comments... :roll:

Thanx

I can be as divine as Lalleshvari!!

Basically by saying that we are the real Hindus we are completely destroying their (ie RSS) argument. We not only agree with their assumption that Sikhs are Hindus, but we go further and claim that they themselves are not Hindus!

Its a very good tactic when used in an argument. You seem to agree with the other person and before they have realised it you have already destroyed their argument.

Hang on, you were being sarcastic weren't you Ideal Singh?? Tut tut. Looks like I will have to re-evaluate my level of divineness.

I've re-evaluated it. I'm still as good as Lalleshvari. :D

Let me add this that official name of India is "Bharat" not Hindustan if im not mistaken.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji used the word "Hindustan", for the first time ever in Indian Literature in a shabad, at the time of invasion of Babar... which is incorporated in SGGS as follows...

"Khurasaan Khasmana Kiya, Hindustan Drayaa,

Appae Dos n Daeyee karta jam kar mughal charadaya,

Aaetee marr payee kurlanae tae kee dard n aayaa ||"

So How can we disown this word ? Is their any reference to the word... prior to the mention in SGGS... ?

Please take no offence...

If Sikhi is true Dharma then why is it that Sikhs are alienated from the country of their origin ?

Errr, because about 60% of it is in Pakistan and the rest 40% is in 'India'. I assume you are talking about Panjab, right? Or are you not Panjabi?

Cant Sikhs be called Hindus (I mean natives of Hindustan.) ?

Since when is a Panjabi a 'native of Hindustan'?, he/she is always a native of Panjab. :roll:

Why are we agitated if we are called Hindus...

Because we are not Hindus, that's why, otherwise what's wrong with being called Jews or even Muslim? :roll:

by claiming ourselves to be original hindus don't you think sikhs would eliminate identity crisis they found themselves to be in...

What planet are you living on? What identity crisis? Most Sikhs I have met are proud Panjabis? What are you? A Tamil or something? :roll:

PS : By Hindus I mean natives of a place called Hindustan...

OK, listen, I don't know where you learned your history but if you are a Panjabi, you have never been a 'native of Hindustan', such a place has never existed prior to 1947, and it is actually known as 'India'. This is a British invention, it has never been an actual country with one people or one race. If you are not a Panjabi then I apologise if I offended you.

Kind Regards,

MI

This may offend a few but I will say it:

Let me add this that official name of India is "Bharat" not Hindustan if im not mistaken.

The official name of Punjab is "PUNJAB" not Khalistan !!

well actually I think the official name was something else, but you can see where I was going with that..

Sikhism is not a form of hinduism, as there is no such thing as hinduism, but then again I would go as far as saying there is no such thing as SIKHISM.

A Guru and his disciple is an intimate relationship which can only be understood between that disciple and his/her guru.

A religion in the western sense which is now the de facto for all beliefs systems is to catagorize the beliefs into, goods bads rights wrongs.. etc

:arrow:

Guru Nanak Dev Ji used the word "Hindustan", for the first time ever in Indian Literature in a shabad, at the time of invasion of Babar... which is incorporated in SGGS as follows...

"Khurasaan Khasmana Kiya, Hindustan Drayaa,

Appae Dos n Daeyee karta jam kar mughal charadaya,

Aaetee marr payee kurlanae tae kee dard n aayaa ||"

So How can we disown this word ? Is their any reference to the word... prior to the mention in SGGS... ?