Tying Dastar for the first time!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I recently went to London and I found myself being greeted by a Muslim woman in a Hijab, she assumed I was Muslim too. I wear a patka style Keski and chunni over the top. It made me think about whether I should start wearing a Dastar, because the whole point of our 5 K's is to make us distinct, as well as other reasons of course.

Just wondered if anyone here out of the Penji's wears a Dastar, and how you came to start wearing it, any experiences of people, in fact of the Bro's too, what was it like when you tied a Dastar first time? Please share your stories.

Gurfateh!

I wear a bandana or patka as we call it , a zeus styled one :LOL:

but i have noticed penji....musalman kuriyah are starting to wear them, they trying to convince apniyah that as a musalman u allowed the sikh look our something

lol

sounds dodgy

nah no need to be Gurps ......be proud , there stealing our identity, but we aint stealing theirs, u get me :LOL:

if they go to far then well take action, ahem, lol

everyone wants to look like sikhs these dayz :LOL:

even da hindu munday wear khanda chains and dat

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

............. in fact of the Bro's too, what was it like when you tied a Dastar first time? Please share your stories.

Gurfateh!

Well when i came to uk from india everyone told me to wear a dastar. I was about 12 or 13. But i wore patka throughout School. On my first day to college i wore a dastar.

Tied it my self, and kept tieing it until i started uni. In uni i realised that i had been tying it Bingi :oops: so i have changed the style. Its perfect shape now.

anyway, i tie the dastar all the time and take it off just before going to sleep. I dont wear patka even though my dad tells me that i should atleast wear it in the house etc.

when i have nothing to do , i try out different pugh style :LOL: Its a great way to pass time.

Guest chamkila

I have been wearing a Dastar for some years now, use to wear the folded type but my ears started to get cuts on them. Now I wear a round one, a lot stronger and does not hurt the ears.

People think I am musilm, I get musilm people asking me where the mosque is, I get Jews that get scared when I stand near them. The English just keep looking at me.

All I do is give the English a funny look, walk closer to the jews and tell the musilm about sikhi.

I have been getting this most of my adult life, and I really don't care its really made me strong being different from every one else.

Most annoying are the English know-it-alls who think they have the right to tell you that you should have an arch over your forehead if you're a Sikh, otherwise you're a Muslim, whatever you say.

Pig-headed ignorance and stupidity are rife. Therefore wear a round turban, if only to irritate the morons.

Now, if you wear a rounded and messy dastaar, everyone will stare at you and walk away from you (including Sikhs)!

lol@shasterkovich.

Saihajleen Kaur, dont' worry about people mistaking you for another religion, if thats what they want to do, then let them. It has no reflection on you, you can carry on being the one in the mauja (happiness) of Guru Ji's company. Don't let small things and judgements make you ashamed of the way you are. 8)

Singhni, the skull protects the dasam duaar in ordinary people like me, but for those whose dasam duars are open, thus there is a softness or hole in the skull there, a turban such as the one u described would probably be right.

The only problem is, nowadays no one ties their dastaar with topknot at dasam duaar area, the joora is now lower down for fashion purposes. The dastaar's practicality is being changed to make way for looking good. :roll:

:$

i dont actually feel that women need to wear a dastar,

but in regards to the issue, iv been wearing my dastar since i was 12 i think, iv been mistaken for a muslim a fair few times as well. Ppl tho will always stare and show a level of ingnorance to something they do not understand, its jus a unfortunate human trait.

As long as you are comfortable with what you are, sod what the world thinks of you

;)

Its not so easy ms514 because I know of a girl who wore a dastaar for a while, but when she decided not to wear it any more akj girls told her she was doing "biadbee of the panth"

That was very discouraging, and left the girl feeling sad that her sisters would say such a thing. :evil:

Sat Sri Akal:

Then Bhenji Sehajleen Kaur must make up her mind to either wear a Dastaar or not. Harsh...yes. But it is probably much worse sitting there continuously saying "Should I, shouldn't I?"

So benti to Bhenji Sehajleen Kaur Ji, do ardaas and make a decision.

I guess you're right ms Veer Ji, but I've always found making decisions hard :LOL:

I spoke to a Veer Ji about this recently, and he put up some very good arguments for wearing Keski. I was pretty shocked but I realise it is necessary, well for me anyway. Im going to ask a Bhainji to teach me, I've tried but it keeps slipping off :oops: I just end up getting more frustrated, but Im going to learn, and start wearing one soon, thanks. Nihal Kaur Penji, those sisters were probably too harsh, the people I have talked to, the ones extremely FOR wearing a Keski were really nice to me, so there's always that few I guess.

Gurfateh

Saihajleen Kaur Khalsa,

I spoke to a Veer Ji about this recently, and he put up some very good arguments for wearing Keski

I would like to see his arguments. Please, post his arguments if you can so we can learn something good too. Even though I support that Sikh women should wear keski if they can but its not Kakkar the way Akhand Kirtani Jatha is trying to convince Sikhs.

Nihal Kaur ji,

For your last post, I would say that tell your friend that we should not believe in groups and what they preach about Sikhism. They are there to bring disunity. We should believe in Akal Purukh and teachings of all of Gurus.

ms514, I think your attitude is totally forceful.

Quite frankly, who are you tell people to make up their mind about anything?

I mean...honestly, Saihajleen just showed her humbleness in accepting what you said but since i don't have as much nimarta I thought I'd point it out.

Just because other people will criticise, there is no need to rush people or force them into making a decision. If Saihajleen would tie a dastaar and see how it feels for a week, thats her decision.....if she ties it for a year and decides she'd rather not, thats her decision also...it has nothing to do with anyone else.

she asked about people's first time tying a dastaar/pag

She was asking about

Sat Sri Akal:

Dear Nihal Kaur Bhain Ji...forceful?

I did not hold a gun to Bibi Ji's head and force her to make a decision. I did not yell or intimidate. I did not put any ultimatum forward.

If Bibi Sehajleen Kaur Ji feels that my post is inappropriate and forceful, then my apologies are at her feet.

This website is getting WAY too liberal with the usage of that word "forceful". Next I will post that I am going to take my car to the store and someone is going to accuse me of forcing my car into driving!

Sorry for any harsh words.

Even since i am concious i would demand my mother to do joorah like my brother, people actually thought we were 2 brothers. I sometimes thinks it is PISHLAY KARAM.. in a way my mind was being prepared for a dastar. Since the age of 1- i have been wearing a full dastar (no patkaa's). My first dastar was tied by my father. He tied it for me the 1 years (i have taken choola then) and and later on i did by myself. Bingee or not. Who really cares? Is it about the OUTLOOK that we live? well i dont think we should. You want to wear a dastar? Just go ahead. The people around you thinking this or that? You know there is something called Getting-USED-TO. You gotta start doing it if you want to know how it feels like, cause every person's life and society-life style and most importantly PERSONALITY is different. Im the type of person who really dont give a damn about what other think if my dastar is bingee, vadee or whatever. Other are not like that. and thats what makes every person a different one. And i think you are the only one who can actully try and decide how it is cause everything is determined by your own life style.

But since i wear i feel god about myself. Cause you know what, maybe i got bullied at school, college and at uni., but since i was ONLY singhnee or indian actualy in the university i was studying in, people respected me sooo much. Some would like bow to say hello. I received sooo much respect.

People who sy silly things to sikhs are mostly ignorant.

Its either you accept their remarks are hurtfull things or you accept that they are ignorant and need some education about social life. It all about YOU INNER STRENGTH.

Thankx