The Black Stone of Makka and Al-Uzza.

Hari

This is what I found quite a while back in The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology under al-Uzza:

Al-Uzza, or El-'Ozza, was an Arabian goddess of pre-Islamic times who was regarded by the Bedouin tribes of central Arabia as the youngest daughter of ALLAH,the supreme deity.She was worshipped in the form of a black stone, on the surface of which lay a mark or indentation called the "Impression of Aphrodite"...

The tribe to which the prophet Mouhammad belonged showed particualr reverence for the goddess.The prophet himself was said to have taken the sacred Black Stone of Islam and placed it in the KA'ABA, the shrine in Mecca, Islam's holiest shrine.The cult of Al-Uzza was served by priestesses and, even after the arrival of Islam, the Ka'aba's guardians still continued to be called "Sons of the Old Woman".

How much of the above it true?Is is true that al-Lat, al-Uzza and Manat are the three daughters of Allah?

What is their significance and status in Islam?So is the the Black Stone of Makka in actual fact a moorti (idol)?

This is what I found quite a while back in The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology under al-Uzza:

Al-Uzza, or El-'Ozza, was an Arabian goddess of pre-Islamic times who was regarded by the Bedouin tribes of central Arabia as the youngest daughter of ALLAH,the supreme deity.She was worshipped in the form of a black stone, on the surface of which lay a mark or indentation called the "Impression of Aphrodite"...

The tribe to which the prophet Mouhammad belonged showed particualr reverence for the goddess.The prophet himself was said to have taken the sacred Black Stone of Islam and placed it in the KA'ABA, the shrine in Mecca, Islam's holiest shrine.The cult of Al-Uzza was served by priestesses and, even after the arrival of Islam, the Ka'aba's guardians still continued to be called "Sons of the Old Woman".

How much of the above it true?Is is true that al-Lat, al-Uzza and Manat are the three daughters of Allah?

What is their significance and status in Islam?So is the the Black Stone of Makka in actual fact a moorti (idol)?

There is no real evidence to suggest that it is. Plus, this is'nt the only myth regarding the Kaaba. Militant Shaivites (Gosains) believe sincerely that the Kaaba contains a very important Shiv-ling.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

The name of the stone at kaaba i think is yakoot (hope i spelt it right, and hope i am not wrong bout its name). According to Islamic beliefs (from what i have been told), there is a similar kaaba in heaven exactly 90 degrees above the one in saudi arabia. The stone has a scent like smell, and they say it has retained the smell ever since...1400 yrs or more.

There is no real evidence to suggest that it is. Plus, this is'nt the only myth regarding the Kaaba. Militant Shaivites (Gosains) believe sincerely that the Kaaba contains a very important Shiv-ling.

Well, the only way I can get evidence, is to do serious study of this topic.Not just go to google.com. :LOL:

But you cannot deny the existence of al-Lat al-Uzza and Manat in pre-Mohammad times.I got this from google though. :LOL:

http://www.cultureofiran.com/ghorban.php

The Muslims refer to the house of Kabah as the sacred house (bait al-haram). It is a small rectangular stone structure inside the compound of the sacred mosque (masjid al-haram). Muslims believe that Abraham and Ishmael originally built the house and it is the first sanctuary on earth. The celebrated black stone placed in the corner of the house is a meteorite and Muslims believe it was part of the original structure blessed by Abraham himself. All Muslims praying should face Kabah and the dead at the time of burial will be buried facing the same direction. The structure existed long before Islam and housed a number of deities before Prophet Muhammad proclaimed his new fate.

Amongst the most famous deities that were placed in the house and are mentioned in Quran were al-Lat, al-Uzza and Manat. All three were female deities and represented the Sun, the planet Venus and Fortune respectively. As Allah means ‘the god’, so al-Lat means ‘the goddess’. She represented Sun and was called ar-Rabbah, "the Lay" in other parts of Arabia. She is mentioned by Herodotus and is present in old Arabian inscriptions; and in pre-Islamic poems; and was the great mother goddess who, under various names, was worshipped all over the ancient world. Al-Uzza was also very important and constantly present from fourth century AD. She was also worshiped by the northern Semites and was regarded as "the Mightiest" and represented planet Venus. Manat the goddess of Fortune and fate was a representative of the all-pervading mystery of life and death and a household deity.

Carl Brockelmann in his book ‘history of the Islamic peoples’ describes Allah’s history as follows; "Allah himself was a deity associated with creation and represented the greater god of the worlds. By the time of Prophet’s birth, Allah had already replaced the old moon –god Hubal as the lord of Kabah. In one pre Islamic poem by the Christian poet: adi ibn-Zayd, Allah is called on next to the Messiah as witness to an oath. He also was the guardian of contracts, alien guests and ordained fate was regarded to be his will. By 7th century all other deities were loosing influence while Allah was gaining strength. By this time the three goddess though much older than Allah himself attained the status of his daughters".

I don't know how much of the above is true.I am not a scholar.But the existence of the name "Allah" before Mohammad wouldn't be a surprise to me.If this is so, I don't see what the big deal would be either.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to bring forth the following facts to notice:

As per the Islamic tradiditons and Quran, the Kaaba is supposed to have been built by Abraham. The Christians and Jews strongly refute this.

It is said to be the House of God.

The tradition of doing pilgrimage was prevalent before Mohammed with the local Arabs. (It is said to have been initiated by Abraham).

Earlier all prayers were addressed to Jerusalem by Mohammed. Later on this was changed to Kaaba. What was the reason behind this ?

It seems to have been a concession for attracting more converts.

During the times of Mohammed, the Kaaba had the idol of the God 'Hubal' inside it.

The Arabs already had the concept of one God Al-Lah, yet they also belived in other Gods. Al-Lah is supposed to be the Moon God.

Tha Arabs worshipped heavenly bodies and the idea of moving in circles about the Kaabs is supposed to be emualting tyhe movement of heavenly bodies around the sun.

Al-Lah is supposed to have had three daugthers- AlLat, Mannah, Uzzat.

These were called the intercessors to God By Mohammed in what are known as 'satanic Verses'. Later on these were reveresed by another verse, which I belive is a bot controversial also as it says .......(and from God's side) in language which suggests, that you covet sons, yet you think AlLah will have daughters.

This was done as no one was converting tio Islam, so Mohammed perhaps decided to give concessions.

The black stone is supposedly volcanic in nature or perhaps a metorite. The stone is supposed to be divine by Muslims. This combined with the fact that Arabs were worshippers of divine bodies, seems to suggest that the stone is in all probability a metorite (I am sorry If I got the meteor and meteorite thing confused up).

The stone is no longer a single piece but was shattered and is now a group of indidiual pieces held together by a some glue.

Muslims try to kiss it, much like idol worship.

Stone worship was prevalent in pre mohammed arabia. Similar practices were prevalent in Yemen and other places.

Typical.Jumping the gun again Shasterkovich.I was talking about myself.That I went to google not you.I refer you to:

Well, the only way I can get evidence, is to do serious study of this topic.Not just go to google.com.

But you cannot deny the existence of al-Lat al-Uzza and Manat in pre-Mohammad times.I got this from google though.

• 17 years later...

The "glue is silver/tin/nickel solder, some of these descriptions from history are either biased against  or for Islam, the rectangular building has never been of stone-it is of fabric and armiture columns. All Abrahamic religions have one father, so please do not quibble between their biases. The most accurate description of the iconoclastic campaigns of Muhammad are from the 8th or 9th century by Muslim/Iranian historian Hisham ibn al-Kalbi 

The book of Idols/Kitāb al-Aşnăm