HELP ME TO GIVE UP MEAT

HELLO.. IVE HAD A PROBLEM.. I EAT MEAT A LOT I WANT TO GIVE UP.. I DIDNT LIKE CHICKEN SO MUCH.. ITS JUST THE KEBAB MEAT AND LAMB I LIKE.. I WANT TO GIVE UP..AS I KNOW THAT THE ANIMALS KARMA AND STUFF IS AFFECTING ME WHEN I EAT MEAT.. BUT HOW DID CAVEMEN SURVIVE? IT WAS THROUGH EATING MEAT WASNT IT?

ANYWAYS I WANT TO QUIT, BUT I DONT KNOW WHY I ALWAYS GO TO THE CHIP SHOP ON LUNCH BREAKS AND GRAB MYSELF A KEBAB, THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES WHEN I KEEP ON EATING.. I GOT TO STOP,,

THROUGH EATING MEAT THE BODY BECOMES A GRAVEYARD :(

HELP ME.. WHAT CAN I DO..

U MIGHT SAY WHY I DO IT, IF I KNOW ITS WRONG.. I DONT KNOW WHY I CANT STOP :(

Dude, its not that hard, there is always aunty Linda we call always rely on.....lol. It does not taste the same but its similar, and once you gone away from the taste, its really not that hard when you come to think of it. I used to be like you and think I could never give up meat, but then found out that I could live even without eating meat. The hardest hurdle for me was giving up cakes! eggless all the way :D. I know there are some people who might not agree with me on this, Its just my personal choice. If you think its wrong to eat, then it should not be that hard to stop. Keep on trying, where there is a will there always is a way;).

fateh ji

Orchid veer,

If you can please add me in to your msn. I have this presentation on "Meat" which this chardi-kalah singh made it. We presented in various gurdwara in ontario, Canada.

Trust me after seeing that video you would cry in tears. They saw you hard-core stuff like video from slaugher-house and animals gettin treated really badly :(

So please add me in your site. This singh hosted it on his website as well. But currently its out of bandwidth but you can save this URL:

http://www.sikhionline.com/powerpoint/powerpoint.htm

Akaaaaaaaaal hiiiiiiiiii akaaaaaaaaaaal

anand hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii anand :D

Orchid veer,

If you can please add me in to your msn. I have this presentation on "Meat" which this chardi-kalah singh made it. We presented in various gurdwara in ontario, Canada.

Trust me after seeing that video you would cry in tears. They saw you hard-core stuff like video from slaugher-house and animals gettin treated really badly :(

So please add me in your site. This singh hosted it on his website as well. But currently its out of bandwidth but you can save this URL:

http://www.sikhionline.com/powerpoint/powerpoint.htm

Akaaaaaaaaal hiiiiiiiiii akaaaaaaaaaaal

anand hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii anand :D

im on dialup....

I think animals are being tortured in farms as well? Are we doing anything about it? I mean supplying tractors to farmers, so they stop using poor animals for plowing/ploughing?

Orchids,

If you really want to quit eating meat then start doing it on your own. There is no power point presentation stronger than your own "will power", so use that power to quit meat. Also, use lower case not upper case because “caps†are considers as shouting in internet world.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Cavemen=yeh they did.

Are u a caveman?? Do u need meat living in the west??

Also bani tells us to eat little; theres even a shabad where guru nanak dev ji maharaj talks about lentils and rice (kishari) being the ultimate meal.

If ur warrior, then go meat crazy. If not, then allow flesh!

Guest Maha_Pavitar

By the way..these days there are so many products out there that have soy, tofu ingredients. Veggie Salami, Veggie Pizzas, Burgers, Tofu that you can cook with your rice or noodles..eggless dishes..They are so delicious and you can get creative. If you need some recipes, PM me and I'll give you some veer.

A sister :)

Guest Javanmard

You don't need to give up meat as long as it is jhatka. A definetly no-no is kababs as the meat for it is halal.Hala meat is absolutely taboo. Meat is allowed in Sikhi as long as it is jhatka. see http://www.shastarvidiya.org/htmls/mahapar...troduction.html

If you're amritdhari you'll have to apologise in front of the sangat and take amrit again!

So can you Eat meat in the UK ?

Im sure the HSE wouldnt favour back garden Chatka, I have been advised to start consuming meat again because my sister had Laxi Joints - it kinda runs in the family which means have that condition too(but it is less extreme).

Is Tuna fish okie Mr L ?

Gurfateh

Harpreet

Guest Javanmard

Well some families still do jhatka of chickens in their backyard and there are more and more jhatka butchers in places like SOuthall! Fish is absolutely ok as halal and jhatka only apply to quadrupedes. Also tuna is healthier as it contains less fat and it's excellent food brain. But please chose a dolphin freindly brand. being able to eat meat doesn't mean that we should stop having compassion for animals. Jhatka is all about compassion as the sould of the animal is reborn as a human being do to the recitation of shabads. If you buy meat from the jhatka butcher just make sure you bless the food with your kirpan and thus make bhog. And please don't forget: be moderate with meat eating. An English type diet with meat everyday is not healthy either. Balance is the keyword here!

As far as i know, Budda dal says: Jhatka has to be done in maryada ie- (recitation of chandi dii vaar, akal ustat) and shouldnt be eaten for taste of the tongue!!!!!

Shame to the singhs who eat kfc in england not only they break the maryada of budda dal maryada but persent budda dal in very bad light.

Tuna it is then,

Dolphin friendly of course !

N30, i agree, i have to eat for health reasons, which defo means no KFC! I will try to eat healthy fish most of the time

Sumeet, i love veggie food too, but its a bit too Carby!

Thats a question for a the Forum, who has a list of High Protein/low carb Veggie food?

Thanks

Harpreet

Guest Javanmard

1. N3O seems to have eliminated all sense of taste from his tongue: congratulations!!! :twisted:

2. As refered to in eralier post only jhatka meat is to be consumed and if one buys it from a jhtaka butcher one still has perform bhog.

3. may I also remind everyone here that this is precisely what Guru Gobind SIngh told his SInghs to do in Machivara forest when they were hosted by friendly Pathans and were offered meat. Guru Ji ordered his Sikhs to touch the meat with their kirpans to render the meat acceptable for consumption.

4. Regarding the gupt references: rideo a tibi amice!

Exactly neo, catering for the palate is taboo for a gursikh. Food is just for food. Nothing more!!

Lalleshvari, so as to avoid any confusion (and prevent one liner assumptions, which alot of people tend to do) what did bhagat kabir ji mean when he said no fish,eggs,wine,hemp??

This one always makes me think...hmmmmmm..and then i end up putting the tuna back..snif snif

Guest Javanmard

Food is just for nurishment? then please don't go to the restaurant! btw N3O and sikh_fauge if I were your mother I would slap you straight away!!! I cook all this food with love and all you have to say is: the taste doesn't matter really it's just nurishment!!! Try telling that to you mum or wife! I swear you won't survive this be-adabi!

Regarding vegetarianism in Guru Granth Sahib: both views pro-meat and anti-meat are present in gurbani and you have to take it in the context of taking hukam. A hukam may be valid for someone but not for someone else because we're all different also you have to put the composition in its context. Vegetarianism in Kabir's context has nothing to do with sin but it's rather an advice regarding certain forms of spiritual practices. For long periods of meditations like 40 day chillas it's true that eating fish, meat and wine is not good as these foods are considered rajas. It would create an imbalance with your attempt to create a sattva state. even Nihangs say it but in normal life it's something else!

Guest Javanmard

You are missing sooooooooooooooooooooo much! the taste of strawberries and cream, Belgian chocolate, French viennoiseries...

Live life mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat Sri Akal Orchid.

Sure Orchid, it is hard to become a veggie at first but then once you are into it, it becomes so much more easier. You have to take it in steps. Do not stop eating meat all in one go. I became a veggie when I was 11 years old (much to the annoyance of my family who are all meat-eating) and have been one since. What I did was lessen my intake of meat. I gradually took meat out of my diet, this made it alot easier for me. Perhaps you should try it too. As everyone has said, there are lots of meat substitutes. When someone offers you meat or you want meat just say no. Do not even think about it just say no.

Goodluck