What is Manmat?

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Guest Maha_Pavitar

What is manmat? Not just the literal meaning of this word, someone share the depth of it it please? When are we able to judge what is manmat and what is not?

Here is something a fellow brother wrote on sikhsangat (he said I could share!)

so, after all these cries of MANMAT MANMAT on this forum, i have a question:

Can something be more manmat than another thing? After all, if something is not gurmat then it doesn't matter what it is, cuz it's not gurmat, hence manmat...

that dr. phil test...manmat....

pictures of gursikhs..... manmat.... (After all, if pictures of Guru's are manmat, aren't those who are fully representative of Guru's Roop)

Talking about the Air India Trial.... manmat (besides.. who are we to judge anyone, anyways)

Dancing (which, by popular belief seems to be so manmat..not that i do it, but that i refuse to judge anyone who does)

When will the time come that breathing the same air as non-amritdharis becomes manmat? Will this time ever come?

What is manmat, and does one act get more "manmat points" than another?!?!?!

after all, everything seems to be manmat these days....

yes....... even that cell phone thread!

bhainjee..

i'm not sure how to answer this but in my humble opinion Gurmat is that which is sanctioned and taught by your Guru.

essentially, our mind is covered with a curtain of maya and the five vices. when we use it to do things, we sometimes act from the perspective of maya and the five vices.

however, if we only use the guru's teachings as a reference point for how to act in our life - then we will be embracing and following gurmat.

"man kee mat mohay sagal teaagee"

it is important to "tyaag" or abandon manmat - and adopt guru's mat

Guru's mat is guru's intellect, and in order to have guru's intellect we need to read guru's bani.

Guru's bani lets us know what is right and wrong.

And since I don't read much, I'm not quite sure what's right and waht's wrong at this time... hehehe... so I'll shut up

bhul chuk maaf karnaa jeeo

VaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaaVaaheguroojeekeefatheh!!!

• 5 weeks later...

What is manmat, and does one act get more "manmat points" than another?!?!?!

summeet defination of manmat is not that confusy like u have made it.

mannmat=mann+mat......... MANN .... as per we humans have the nature of kam, krodh, lobh, moh & hankar.... whatever we do in our daily life shows a lil bit of these. this is call MANN. ok let me give u an example... approxmatily no child would love to go to school. this is his/her mannmat but his/her guru (in form of parents) sends him/her to school (no matter by love or by scolding etc etc)

leading a diciplined life under the guideance of guru granth sahib ji & sri akal thkat sahib means gurmat (according to sikh religion)

babaji says "murakh sach na janyee !! manmukhi janam gavaya !! vich duniya kahaay aaya!!"

breathing the same air without being an amritdhari is not mannmat infact calling himself a sikh with clean shaven faces is mannmat

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. sexy singh ji .... we are not here to discuss what you feel but we are here what sikhism says

ok.... let me ask the ppls ..... who is the better one ..... the one who has adopted his guru's maryada (dicipline) OR the one who spaled on his guru's face by becomeing PATIT

(cuttings hairs, relation with non-partner, eating halal meat & consumeing tobbaco ...... kicks him out of religion & makes him PATIT, this is according to sikh rehyat maryada & no one can argue/change it)

^ I can argue it.

kawal1977, I come on this forum to learn more about Sikhi along with 99% of other people here.

If you want to talk about Sikh Reyat then what about older Rehitname that ascertain that a Sikh does not have to be Amritdharee? If you disagreed with these discussions then why did you not comment on it on those threads? eg http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...?t=3923&start=0

In terms of being a KHALSA, then yes your definition holds true....but in terms of being a Sikh? I don't think so, because in my opinion you then make a mockery of all the Sikhs that existed before the time of Guru Gobind Singh Ji if you feel that someone who cuts their hair is a patit.

I find that those who pre-judge others are more guilty of being manmukhs then the ones who are true to themselves and others.

kabeer preeth eik sio keeeae aan dhubidhhaa jaae ||

bhaavai laa(n)bae kaes kar bhaavai gharar muddaae ||25||

Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.

You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald. ||25||

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Page.asp?Sour...D=4993&Format=2

kawal1977, correct me if i'm wrong... but does that shabad not disagree with the sikh rehat maryada?

well Mr. Beast ..... i am not remembering the page of suraj prakash in which it is clearly mentioned that cutting hairs was prohibited by guru nanak dev ji himself.

anyways ..... we should try to live in present rather then past. AN ORDER of keeping hairs if for the sikhs placed by the guru gobind singh ji, who are also called khalsa, khalsa & sikh is the same thing. infact khalsa if a defination of sikhism which signifies THE PURE. it means the sikhi & A sikh is pure & the one who is not pure is not a sikh.

Mr. Beast you tried to say that "MANN saf hona chaida hai, kesh rakhan nal koi pharak nahi painda", just think why guru gobind singh, ho was A SIKH himself kept his hairs, KEE OONA THE MANN MAILA SEE, ISN'T HE WAS TRUE TO HIMSELF & OTHERS ...... my dear this is maryada.... A DICIPLINE

for sikhs it is an order, AN ORDER...... NOT A SUGESTION, WHERE U CAN PUT UR EXCUSES

read it twice & try to understand rather then keep on argueing without any logic

regards

Again, therein lies our dispute. If you harbour these views then why not take them up in the thread whose link I provided?

I personally disagree with your notion that Khalsa and Sikhs are the same; my personal belief is that a Khalsa is a Sikh, but a Sikh is not necessarily Khalsa.

Being a Sikh is not a physical characteristic, it iinvolves the internal state of mind.

Regards

my dear friend beast .... we are here not to discuss abt how/what u feel abt sikhism and khalsa .... infact we are here to discuss what sikhism/sikh rehyat maryada/guru's orders says. as we are into sikhawareness.com

evne though if u try to read my last msg dedicated to you again ..... with open mind & clear eyes ... you will definately fina an answer from it.

pls do keep this in mind ....... when i talk/discuss abt sikhism i never put my thought or belive in it ....... i will always say what logics of sikhism says

regards

kabeer preeth eik sio keeeae aan dhubidhhaa jaae ||

bhaavai laa(n)bae kaes kar bhaavai gharar muddaae ||25||

Kabeer, when you are in love with the One Lord, duality and alienation depart.

You may have long hair, or you may shave your head bald. ||25||

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Page.asp?Sour...D=4993&Format=2

kawal1977, correct me if i'm wrong... but does that shabad not disagree with the sikh rehat maryada?

my dear friend GUV ..... the lines you stated in the above quote are saloks of kabir dass ji from ang no. 1365 of sri guru granth sahib ji...... here kabir ji is saying that for worshiping the god it is not necessary to have hair. or in simple words we can understand that if one thinks that he has hairs or he is blad then he is automatically worshiping the god. then it is not ture.

even i never said this in any of my msg....... but for BEING A SIKH ONE HAS TO keep his/her hairs.

let me give you an example ...... sikhism is like a school where u have to wear a dress to study in that school or for being called a student of that school ...... that does'nt mean that you can't study without dress.

studying & being a student (sikh) is differnet things

regards

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Brothers..as interesting as your points are we are off the topic of 'what is manmat' Please start a new thread or continue the discussion at hand.

Also, if love of duality is one of the biggest diseases of the mind..how do we define manmat since good/bad, right/wrong is indeed duality? What does it mean to follow one's mind..how do we as mere seekers decipher between our mind and the echoes of our beloved if we are by nature dual people?

:)

ok.... let me ask the ppls ..... who is the better one ..... the one who has adopted his guru's maryada (dicipline) OR the one who spaled on his guru's face by becomeing PATIT

Neither is better or worse a priori. To answer the question you need to look at their actions, their thoughts and how they treat others around them. this is the only way to determine who is the better sikh.

veerji i think you misunderstood....the better sikh is cleasrly the one who listens to his guru...

clearly is a classroom, the student that obeys his teacher and does all his work and follows the classroom code uis the better student.

the one who disobeysthe teacher and goes against what the teacher says is worse. this doesnt mean his potential is not good, it simply means he should reduce his ego and submit himself to his teacher.

as in the example, our guru is our teacher and we are the students. we need to listen to gain anywhere.

we live the life of rehit so that we can do good actions....good actions and being a good person only come through Vaheguroos grace. for good thoughts and actions we must remove our ego and this is done by serving the true guru