<Mocking the 5k's>

taken from: http://www.sikhe.com/print.php?sid=1652

By George, We Do Need An Education

By Apaar Singh

Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 04:27 PM GMT+5:30

USA, Washington -- George Washington must be turning in his grave. Ironically, much against the principles of the morally upright, gentleman, first American President, a recent event at the University named after him tried to pass off malicious, racist, denigration of faith as humour.

In Punjabi Eye for the White Guy, a skit presented by the South Asian Society of George Washington University on April 10, 2004 at the annual 'Bhangra Blowout', described the new five K's of Sikhism as Keg (of beer), Kurri (womanizing), Kanada (rustic pronunciation of Canada), Kash (meaning Cash or pursuit of material interests), and Kar (as in Car) - all totally against the tenets of the Sikh faith.

The University of Maryland's Sikh Students Association has taken exception as can be seen from their letter to the society:

April, 12, 2004

South Asian Society of the George Washington University,

We are writing this letter in response to a component of the skit entitled "Punjabi Eye for the White Guy" presented at your Bhangra Blowout show on April 10, 2004. Instead of simply presenting an exciting Punjabi cultural show, you have chosen to denigrate and disrespect the Sikh faith for the second year in a row. Last year you chose to distort history. The program guide implied bhangra was associated with Shiva, a Hindu God, and included pictures of Sikh dancers on the cover.

It is our understanding that a number of letters from various different groups were sent to your group in response to last year's program. It is even more appalling that this year you went further by putting together a power point presentation mocking the Sikh articles of faith that are central to the religion's practice.

It is surprising that your board approved the aforementioned portion of the skit. We are disturbed that the skit was presented as appropriate and even funny. Your student organization should be working to bring communities together, and help spread understanding and acceptance of the variety of cultures and religious views represented on a college campus. Rather, judging from your actions, you clearly choose to single out and mock the Sikh faith. Punjabi culture encompasses many different faiths. Given that no other religions were mentioned in the skit, the display comes across as bias-motivated.

What makes this situation so difficult for us to understand is that your presentation illustrates you are aware of the importance of the Sikh articles of faith that you chose to desecrate. Please do not think that your group's ignorance is an excuse for your actions, nor will an apology be appropriate in easing the tensions you have caused.

Executive Board of Sikh Students Association

University of Maryland, College Park

ssa_umcp@yahoo.com

• 2 months later...

I find it kinda funny, if u cant poke fun at yourself, ure to uptight, jewish people always make fun of themselves, dancing rabbis on SNL or how all jews are cheap and are great accuantants, its a fact of life, now the trend in mulsem commedians in the US and UK ever since 9-11. this way people are inclined to see who sikhs are after they hear somthing about them. It was all for good fun anyways, nothing harmful. the bigger issue if anything is what John Kerry had said about sikh supporting terrorism, if people want to make a big deal about somthing, make a big deal about that, otherwise we all look like uptight relgious freaks.

There's a limit, and the 5 k's are holy given to us by Guru Gobind Singh Ji... I may not be amritdhari, but they are still sacred to me and hence i find it very disrespectful. It's one thing to poke fun at our culture and how cheap we are, but something else when we start to involve religion into it and i'm sorry, but it's not acceptable....

• 4 weeks later...

Satnam sri waheguru

find it kinda funny, if u cant poke fun at yourself, ure to uptight,

Cunard i will ask forgiveness from Akal Purakh for u in my ardaas. I will ask forgiveness from Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj for u thinking that the panj k's he gave us r as expendable as the other things u mentioned. Moses never told Jews to be cheap Mohammad never said go drive planes (or in Mohammads time; Elephants) into building with hundreds of innocent people. But the 5 k's were given to us by our true father. I hope u understand ur dreadful mistake and ask WAheguru for forgiveness.