some astrologer told me

i dunno if astrology is bakwas or if it's true or nething... all i know is that i dun pay attention to it cuz it's surrounded by so much controversy and it doesn't really seem necessary to me to form a concrete view on it cuz it dun really apply to my life.

i tend to enjoy living in the present and dealing with everything happening now as opposed to trying to understand what the future holds and trying to avoid something that may never happen (or adversely cause it to happen because i'm trying to avoid it)...

very true .. I agree with this.. keep it upp

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Indian' astrology is called Vedic Astrology. The perception is that it has very strong ties and is part of Hinduism, as a lot of the Pandits do it. This is an incorrect sterotype. I just wanted to point that out. It was devised by the Vedics who were scientists.

Now vedic astrology is when the person you go to creates a birth chart (sometimes called a teva), this is based on your date of birth to the nearist minute, your place of birth and your name. In the teva you'll see a diagram, basically a square split into 16 triangles. These depict 16 aspects of your life. Sometimes the pandits will tell you to wear certain gem stones to boost certain aspects of your life (that's why you see some people wearing pearl/ruby/saphire rings). But you can also do this by doing Paath and simran.

Usually the person you go to will look at this chart and see which aspect of your life is in trouble. He/she will look at different patterns within the diagram that affect you making different decisions eg Marriage.

You may find a lot of charlatans out there, that will make 2-3 correct diagnoses out of 10. But when it comes to the crunch time for making a life changing decision, they will make the wrong analysis. They will instill baem (sp? worry) into you.

As far as I know vedic astrology is the most accurate 'Indian' astrology there is, more so than palmistry. btw Guru Nanak had his birth chart done and the pandit started crying because he would not be able to see the wonderfull things he was to do.

Actually, the problem is that Indian people especially Punjabi people love to get exploited because it’s in their blood. You tell Punjabi people that everything is ok with you but they won't trust you and on the other hand you create doubts in their mind and they will give you thousands of dollars. This is the reason that fake "jyotishi" or astrologers use them. Most of the time people want to get exploited because they don't want to see the truth. Astrology is prediction and most of the astrologers agree that it cannot be 100% correct same as other sciences.

Most of the Sikhs throw it under "Brahmanism" ( The ones grew up in western countries) when on the other hand there is western astrology exist worldwide, which has no connection with India’s Vedic astrology. Go tell any western astrologer that he is following Brahmanism and see his face impressions because he won't even have any idea what you are talking about.

The problem is that there are so many crooks exist in India the ones don’t learn astrology properly but learn only tidbits and then exploit innocent people. I think ratio of fake astrologers is higher than the ones carry any real knowledge and that’s what creates problems. Also, old myth that every astrologer is Brahman cannot be true anymore. Most of the dominated astrologers these days come from varieties of castes (khatri Hindu/Sikh, Rajputs, Hindu Bania community, Jatt Sikhs. You should always remember that meditation with true intention has biggest power but we cannot deny the fact that there are arts such as astrology does exist but real astrologers are hard to find these days.

Here are few books and read reviews. Most of the reviews come from western people not from Indians.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...nce&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...8815137-2111113

Here are few articles for astrology from Hindu Khatri's website.

http://www.kamalkapoor.com/bhrigu/bhrigusamhita.asp

Here read about origin of western astrology.

http://astrology.about.com/library/weekly/aa101599.htm

--- Don't forget that Almighty is mightier than everything though---

I wouldn't completely dismiss palm reading, tea leaf reading or any form of astrology....

just depends on your circumstances like this one:

So this girl who was in uni, fourth yr (not me) went out with her friends for coffee one day, and at the cafe there was a tea leave reader. So they all went to get their futures predicted eh....

The girl went up and the reader said to her that that month (it was April) she would meet her future husband, and that they would get married by the next year, and that later on she would have three of one type and one of the other (children)...She din't even think closely about it because she was still in uni, and wasn't thinking about marriage

Lo and behold that Vasakhi the girl was introduced to a guy, and they got engaged that year, married the next, had three girls and one boy....

Dudes, that was my mother, and her future was plainly spilt out for her....

My mom tried to find the lady after her engagement occurred but she never was able to locate her......

Weirdness eh.....

It is a science and it is very deep rooted study. over time this knowledge has faded into what you would call today a Business. But the rishis were very well versed in Astrology. So don't just knock astrology down because some Ajmari baba is makin money out of it...but understand that it once and in some places it still is a very profound study of the way life is viewed. Astrology to me is like looking thru a blurry binaculros...some thign you can make out clearly, other you need to guestimate...but regardless this binaculars exist...the clarity of the visiion depends on the individual who is well versed in such ways to clearly determine the lines on ones marked on ones hand or forehead.

CaNaDiAn_jAtTi, i so totally dun wanna be given away 5 times! how can i change these lines! why is my hand so traitorous to me!

interesting take Pheena on what astrology and palmistry is about. but i think i'll stick to not worryin about it. look what truth_seeker's msg did to me! i think tha's enough for me to go back to my i'm-not-involved-with-astrology-at-all mode.

Actually, the problem is that Indian people especially Punjabi people love to get exploited because it’s in their blood. You tell Punjabi people that everything is ok with you but they won't trust you and on the other hand you create doubts in their mind and they will give you thousands of dollars. This is the reason that fake "jyotishi" or astrologers use them. Most of the time people want to get exploited because they don't want to see the truth. Astrology is prediction and most of the astrologers agree that it cannot be 100% correct same as other sciences.

Most of the Sikhs throw it under "Brahmanism" ( The ones grew up in western countries) when on the other hand there is western astrology exist worldwide, which has no connection with India’s Vedic astrology. Go tell any western astrologer that he is following Brahmanism and see his face impressions because he won't even have any idea what you are talking about.

The problem is that there are so many crooks exist in India the ones don’t learn astrology properly but learn only tidbits and then exploit innocent people. I think ratio of fake astrologers is higher than the ones carry any real knowledge and that’s what creates problems. Also, old myth that every astrologer is Brahman cannot be true anymore. Most of the dominated astrologers these days come from varieties of castes (khatri Hindu/Sikh, Rajputs, Hindu Bania community, Jatt Sikhs. You should always remember that meditation with true intention has biggest power but we cannot deny the fact that there are arts such as astrology does exist but real astrologers are hard to find these days.

Here are few books and read reviews. Most of the reviews come from western people not from Indians.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...nce&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...8815137-2111113

Here are few articles for astrology from Hindu Khatri's website.

http://www.kamalkapoor.com/bhrigu/bhrigusamhita.asp

Here read about origin of western astrology.

http://astrology.about.com/library/weekly/aa101599.htm

--- Don't forget that Almighty is mightier than everything though---

Classic.... Very Nice.

well, since i have 5 of those lines, does that mean i'm gonna be married 5 times?! :shock:

:cry: i like goin to weddings and everything, but i dun think i'd wanna become the bride that many times...

It u r serious, This can be the explnation.. First thing first, I am no astrologer or something.. but i have never observed so many lines. Still , more than one lines do not necessarily mean multiple marriages.. though it may mean. pre or pro marriage affiars... sooo.. u just need an introspection ;).. and don't worry.. enjoy the life... these lines also changes with the time and karma.. ( i have been told so).

Hope it would help..

Regards,

ack... that dun make me feel any better... oh Waheguru, why?! why so many?! why not just ONE! (hehe, did neone understand my pathetic attempt to make a joke? like a clean one? hehe!)

ohh.. so u were trying to joke?? okay now i understood. it was a classic.. :twisted:

something i learned from bein in uni is that just because ur studying something, it doesn't necessarily mean that you believe in it. for example, if you study ancient mythology and the gods and goddesses that were worshipped, it doesn't automatically mean that you believe in those gods and will worship them. it simply means that you're trying to understand the purpose of a variety of deities in an ancient world.

in a similar fashion, it's possible that those ppl who r trying to get a phD in astrology are merely trying to deepen their knowledge of their religious texts, and if they believe in it, so be it. as the article said, 90% of people in India believe in astrology. what's the harm in understanding what goes on behind all those crazy predictions? being educated is a really important thing, even when it's being educated about something as controversial as astrology.

first thing first.. astrology is not controversial. :)

i feel that article was more to highlight the involvment of governments(powers) in the studies.. like they decide what should be taught and what not. This type of practice should not be welcomed. As for the astrology, u r right.. no harm in study... its good to to understand this science..:)

first thing first.. astrology is not controversial.

i meant that astrology's controversial for Sikhs because we have no official stand on it. some ppl call it superstition, some call it authentic. no one seems to be able to agree and a whole lot of us don't really know what to think of it. (and then u've got ppl like me who try n stay away or ignore it altogether.)

i meant that astrology's controversial for Sikhs because we have no official stand on it. some ppl call it superstition, some call it authentic. no one seems to be able to agree and a whole lot of us don't really know what to think of it. (and then u've got ppl like me who try n stay away or ignore it altogether.)

acchaaaa.. got it! but its interseting, what do u say?

sure it is... but it's frightening too... i think i've had my share of it with the 5 marriages/partners/whatevers...

common.. 5 affairs.. isn't it interesting?? dont' fear.. its life.. take as it comes.. enjoy everything.;)

and don't take this seriously..no perfect astrologer has told you that. even, i think nobody has seen/read your hand..bte which hand you were observing.. right or left?