If u want to become a Nihang do you have to re take amrit?

VaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa VaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh!

Enlighten this poor soul!!

(looks at Lallesh, Narsingha and challenge_everything) :LOL:

I took Amrit this year will Maharaajs blessing... but if i wish to follow Nihang Maryada and live Like Akali Nihang Khalsa do i have to retake amrit.

Because the Panj Pyaarey told me i can not eat mass, not even CHATKA.. so what happens then if in war, and famine or survival situations?

Could Panj Pyaarey over ride that if i choose to adopt new maryada? i originally want to take Amrit from some Nihangs but i didnt know if their are any Amrit administering Nihangs in the UK... Are they?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fateh Singh,

Yeh seriose thats wat i thought of doing but not takin the Amrit bit jus the becomin a Nihang bit.

Fateh Singh

AKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL HE AKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

Guest Javanmard

you can't become a Nihang just like that! You don't just decide to wake up and say: oh I am a Nihang! It's like the army: you don't just say: Oh I am going to dress up like a soldier withouit enrolling!

Depending in the cases you don't need to re-take amrit though it is highly recommended. You need to go to the Nihangs dals (Budha Dal or Taruna dal) and get enlisted and receive your license. It's that document that proves that you are actually a real Nihang in terms of organisational affiliation because you have been approved by the oldest institution of the Khalsa Panth!

Also taking amrit from the Budha dal or Hazur Sahib is the most beautiful experience!

Jhatka is an authentic SIkh institution and anyone telling others not to take commmits an offence against puratan maryada.

There is no need for you to abandon meat as long as that meat is jhatka!

Recieve a license???? :?

well i dnt think bk in the day mans needed a license to become Nihangs,

Another thing i chatin to my boy Rakash it a little joke we got goin on so flex man,

Also so wa if u take amrit wa happens if u ina war n u need some food, a persons body can't last long without eatin some thing especially protien :P

If i take amrit n i needed to eat meat for survival, would that be breakin the rehit.

remember you dnt have to be a Nihang to be part of the army,Sikhs we are the army.

Yo bruv Rakash you get that reply you was waitin 4?

Guest Javanmard

By eating jhatka meat you don't break any rahit!

LIcences have been introduced in the dal in order to have better control over "black sheep" that infiltrate the Nihangs.

Yes just to add to lalleshvari comments.

All the license are signed(stamped) by jathedar akali nihang singh budda dal 96 crore baba santa singh ji. I have seen the license, basically it says that nihang name and its allowed to carry any kind of shastar- "astar"(weapon- gun, rifle, cannon) with him any where in india.

Nihang Singhs has to review/renew license every year by the jathedar of budda dal just to be in safe side. Because some nihangs really abuse this kinda freedom or power (pathetic example- phola and his co).

Rakash Singha

I think if I’m correct you took Amrit from the so called “Damdami-Taksaal†youth of the U.K (although many other independent Panj Pyare in the UK also preach anti-jhatka). The “Taksaali†youth of the UK edited the original Damdami-Taksaal Maryada about 2 years ago to produce a new “Gurmat Rehat Maryada.†This was a good try at interpreting the Taksaali Rehat but did not interpret the old Taksaali Rehat Maryada with enough objectivity and neutrality as the youths have ignored parts of the original Rehat which conflicted with their own views.

If you turn to page 73 of the “Gurbani Paath Darshan†Granth written by Siri-Maan, Panth-Rattan, Vidiya-Maartand, Sant-Giani Gurbachan Singh “Khalsa†Bhindrawale you will see that although Baba Ji warns of excessively eating meat, Baba Ji does clearly state that it is only “Kutha†or “Halaal†meat that is forbidden to the Khalsa. Baba Ji does state that Jhatka meat is allowed for the Khalsa.

When talking of the 4 “Bajjar-Kurehats†Baba Ji quotes the words of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaaj…

“Haraf Hakaaet Ast Ajee Panj Kaaf, Bidaanand Baavar Naa Geyam Khilaaf . 3. Hukaa Hajaamat Halaalo Haraam, Bareeshe Hinaa Kard Roo Siaah Faam. 4.â€

Guru Gobind Singh Ji has identified the 4 Bajjar-Kurehats as the following…

1) Hukaa – Smoking drugs. (this does not include Shaheedi-Degh or alcohol)

2) Hajaamat – Cutting the Kesh.

3) Halaalo – Eating meat slaughtered in the “Halaal†or “Kosher†way.

4) Haraam – Committing adultery.

These Bajjar-Kurehats were also agreed upon by most Tat-Khalsa institutions in the “Sikh Rehat Maryada†printed by the Dharam Parchaar Committee (S.G.P.C – Siri Amritsar) look on Page 30. :LOL:

Remember your Panj Pyare may be under the influence of their own views. This does not mean that your Amrit is invalid, but that the Rehat they have given may not be according to the Puraatan Maryada. You want to follow the path of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. As for becoming a Nihang Singh the only way to do that is to enlist with the Buddha or Tarna Dal. You could talk to Shastar-Vidiya Gurdev Nihang Niddar Singh who is the Jathedar of Buddha Dal in the UK if you really are serious about living life as a Nihang Singh. Remember becoming a Nihang is not a question of wearing a Baanaa, but of following an ideology and keeping true to the Maryada of Sahibzada Baba Fateh Singh Ji Nihang.

Remember always that if you have started to walk on the path of preparing to become a Nihang you must remember the words of Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Asaa… :roll:

“Nirbhau Hoe Bheyo Nihangaâ€

“Only from realising that you are one with the Fearless will you truly rise above the shackles of Maya.â€

God bless

VaheGuru ji Ka Khalsa VaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh!

Thanks lallesh and challenger.... i dnt feel at home with this "ferengi" Khalsa style as Narsingha called it once lol. Ive been thinking about all the information passed down to the youth by elders other youths and so called "contraversial" people such as ur selves. ive got my own mind and i know what i think is correct to my mind and will one day soon try follow it fully... to the disappointment of many people i know but i guess it doesnt matter...

Are there any registered Nihangs in this country>? Apart frm Nihang Niddar Singh? if so whom? would it be difficult for a Nihang to live here?

Guest Javanmard

I know some registered Nihangs who live in the UK, have jobs etc... Being Nihang is not difficult: being a good human being that's the challenge!!!

There is more to being a "Nihang" than getting registered, or carrying licences, or eating meat and wearing baana.

These are "novelties" to those newly introduced to the Nihang ideology. Just ensure this isnt the reason for wanting to join the Dal Panth. From speaking to numerous veteran Nihang Singhs, being a "Nihang" is a state of internal Yudh...the mind becomes Yudhbhoomi and destruction and chaos are sought (for without these you cannot obtain order).

What I say may be overvcritical but sadly most "Nihangs" within the UK and West in general still adopt "ferengi sikhi" attitudes but convince others they are now "Sanatan" or "Nihang" simply because they have taken Amrit from the Budha Dal (or Tarna Dal). These individuals are easy to spot.

There are a different kinds of Nihang Singhs depending on the duty they have been given, their character and their past. For example, some prefer being single, some marry, some remain deattched from society. What brings them together is Dharam Yudh...

Caveat Emptor.. as within every Army/Socio-Political order in the world, there are many dark elements within Nihang Dals..and nothing is what is seems.

Veer Rakesh Singh

If you want to retake amrit from an organization of your choosing that is great. At least you’ll know what you are. You want to take Amrit from the Nihangs, fine. But make sure you take Amrit from the real Nihangs from India, not the modern ones in western countries. Many pseudo “Nihangs†in the west do not live by the Maryadha of the real Nihangs of India.

For one thing, a real Nihangs only wears a Chola. The western “nihangs†have allowed themselves to wear pants, and shorts. Anyone who has lived with the Nihangs of India knows that a real Nihang worth his salt would not even dream of wearing anything other then a chola.

The real Budha Dal Nihangs only eat Chatka meat. The western “nihangs†have allowed themselves to eat non-chatka meat. Because here in the west animals are killed in the non-Chatka method, and that too by a non-Sikh. This is a direct violation of Budha Dal Maryadha. If you are a Vegetarian, then there are Nihang groups within the Tarana Dal that are Vegetarians as well.

There are other things I don’t want to get into right now. But suffice to say, take amrit from the real Nihangs in India, rather then the British influenced wanabee Nihangs we are seeing in western countries in particular the UK.

No it doesn’t Beast. Non Halal i.e. Haram meat is a separate issue then the one I am stating here. Do you know how animals are killed here in the west? Suffice to say, it is in no way Chatka. Anyway, the point I am trying to get across is follow an authentic group and that too from India.

Veer Rakesh Singh

If you want to retake amrit from an organization of your choosing that is great. At least you’ll know what you are. You want to take Amrit from the Nihangs, fine. But make sure you take Amrit from the real Nihangs from India, not the modern ones in western countries. Many pseudo “Nihangs” in the west do not live by the Maryadha of the real Nihangs of India.

For one thing, a real Nihangs only wears a Chola. The western “nihangs” have allowed themselves to wear pants, and shorts. Anyone who has lived with the Nihangs of India knows that a real Nihang worth his salt would not even dream of wearing anything other then a chola.

The real Budha Dal Nihangs only eat Chatka meat. The western “nihangs” have allowed themselves to eat non-chatka meat. Because here in the west animals are killed in the non-Chatka method, and that too by a non-Sikh. This is a direct violation of Budha Dal Maryadha. If you are a Vegetarian, then there are Nihang groups within the Tarana Dal that are Vegetarians as well.

There are other things I don’t want to get into right now. But suffice to say, take amrit from the real Nihangs in India, rather then the British influenced wanabee Nihangs we are seeing in western countries in particular the UK.

Singh47, please do present more information with regards to "real" Nihang practices, along with sources (if possible). Perhaps you can educate us all with the ways of the "real" Nihangs...

Thank you in advance...

Guest Javanmard

Dear SIngh47, as you seem to be an expert on Nihang maryada could you explain us the concept of abhek and bibek in the context of jhtaka, the different levels of jhatka and the concept of satantri in the same context!

Sorry mate, I am talking about some "nihangs" not following the Nihang traditions. I just know about the Nihangs as anyone born in Punjab does. Animals in the west are not killed using the Chatka method, which is the only way a meat eating Sikh is allowed to eat meat. Bhai Kahn Singh Jee Nabha in his Sikh Encyclopedic Mahan Kosh writes the definition of Jatka.

Jatka: By uttering “Sat Sri Akalâ€, to then decapitating the head from the body with a single blow using a Shastar.

Bhai Sahib gives the meaning of “Jatkauna†in the same page:

Jatkouna: To decapitate the head of an animal from the body with a single blow using a Tulwar

Veer Lalleshwari that is what Jatka is. This is not how animals are killed in the west. Unless the westernized “nihangs†buy there meat from India killed in the traditional method, I could respect that. But unfortunately, that is not so.

furthermore, how do you explain the fact that the "nihangs" in the west have allowed themselves to wear pants and shorts. Whats all that about? no self respecting Nihang in India would even think of wearing pants, I'm sure even Veer Narsingha can agree with that.

Guest Javanmard

Didn't Guru Gobind SIngh wear churidar pyjamas? Depending on the climate of the countries where they reside some rearrangements of maryada can be operated as long as it does not break essential maryada. Most of the Nihangs in the UK do wear blue! and they did not allow themselves to wear pants: they discussed the issues with the relevant authorities. Regarding jhatka I agree with you but aren't there Sikh butchers in most SIkh areas in the UK. These butchers say their meat is jhatka.

I certainly would highly discourage the consumption of meat from animals killed in an industrial fashion. I think that as a community we should find a compromise with the authorities in order to be able to practise jhtaka. The Bhatra Sikh in England and Scotland still practise jhatka in their backyard!!!

Veer Lalleshwari, I don’t think chuRidar Pejama can be equated with Pants. It’s the difference between a Kashera to a western boxer short, or Bandar Kachi.

But Veer Lalleshwari, the Nihangs in India do not even wear a Pejama Kurta as that is against Nihang traditions. If they feel cold as you may have noticed, they just wear those long johns from the ankle to the knees, but never even a pejemi, much less pants which is totally alien to India.

As for the meat eating, we both agree that a meat eating Sikh is only allowed to eat Jatka meat. But in the west, I don’t know of any place in which a Sikh kills an animal with a single blow using a Tulwar.

“The Bhatra Sikh in England and Scotland still practise jhatka in their backyard!!!â€

Yikes! don’t the neighbors complain?

Singh47, please ask the "real" Nihangs what the term "KULLAH BAANA" is and what it implies. Perhaps it may shed some light on your prejudice.

In addition, I dont think that you are monitoring the Nihangs in the UK 24/7 to state that they do not eat Chatka meat. Its always dangerous to generalise and draw assumptions based upon sheer ignorance.

Please let us know what information you uncover...we await the results of your findings.