A Question on Converting into a New Religion

Sukhi

Is converting a good thing?  

12 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't Matter

ok... i'm not starting this thread because i want to create a ruckus or anything, but i've seen a couple of threads on SA where people start getting worried when they hear of someone converting into a new religion, especially if the person converting is a woman or if the religion that's involved is Islam.

i wanna hear the views of people on SA on why someone converting into a different religion is a matter of concern to them, especially when it involves girls or Islam.

i wanna hear the views of people on SA on why someone converting into a different religion is a matter of concern to them, especially when it involves girls or Islam.

Personally, We as Sikhawareness Team are very much concern when sikh girl is converting to islam because of their love without researching the scriptures from both sides and thinking sikhi dharma and punjabi culture is more less a same thing.

Its our duty then talk to the person who is converting!

who are we to question Hukam? God put you into a religion at birth.. why do we insist on changing this? I'd rather we gain conversions than lose people to conversion, cuz Sikhi's like... so full of truth.. each religion has an element of truth, but even Science can't flaw Sikhi's claims.. claims made 500 years before the theories were even made...

No jsb. God did not "put us into a religion". Why then did Jesus Christ, Prophet Mohammed and Guru Nanak go to found new religions? You must be under the impression that all religions of the World existed since the dawn of time and human beings segregated by God on these grounds.

You then go on to say "why do we insist on changing this? I'd rather we gain conversions than lose people to conversion". Am i the only one who sees a contradiction (double-standard even) in this?

Religion is synonymous with faith. What you believe in is the religion you choose to follow. I am against forced conversions or cheap manipulations used to fool people into converting into another religion (What missionaries do).

But, if people through their own initiative and learning convert to another religion there is/should be no problem. There should also be no problem with those who help others convert by offering them advice and explanations on things, leaving the rest up to them.

If someone came to you with an interest in Sikhism wouldnt you do what you could to open them up to this religion? I have brought people to my Gurdwara, explained basic concepts of the faith to outsiders, given a little historical background etc No pressure on anyone to convert though, what they do now is their choice...

yeah, but jahan ji, we aren't Jesus. We aren't Mohammad.. We aren't Nanak... we're Jahan.. we're jsb.. we're guv...whatever... it's not by CHANCE that we're born into a family with whatever values... for those of us born into religious families, are you saying that God didn't INTEND on us to be born into these families? born with these values surrounding us?

JSB bhaji, I have to agree with Jahan on this one here:

We know that Guru Nanak Dev Ji, Jesus Christ and the Prophet Mohammed are prophets now, but ppl didn't recognize that then first and foremost, they were radicals in their time period.

Just because we're born into a religion, does not mean we must adhere to it, otherwise, we wouldn't be the sikhs we are today, nah... cuz someone in our ancestry had to have converted and followed this religion before us...

Whatever buddhi/siddhi we are given it is through God's divine blessings....

whatever decisions we make, are through God's divine intervention...we may not see conversion out of sikhism as being good, but perhaps it's a bigger plan of his for that individual... who are we to judge....

I hope i din't offend anyone.... just my two bits

thanks CJ.. the way you put it made more sense.. i suppose that our converting out of a religion is also God's knowledge and Hukam... but still, i still think we have a difference of opinion.. agree to disagree, shall we :)

Truth_seeker Ji,

I understand your point completely, however there are those that choose to be ignorant and will not listen to your rational, at that point, it's all in Waheguru's hands, of whether he wants to bring that person closer to him, or if the person still needs the time to gain experience....

You can only educate a person who is willing to learn and understand, you cannot force someone to adopt your mentality....

sukhi... it's not that religions outside of sikhi are bad.. but, honestly.. there's so much truth in sikhi... that's what i'm assuming that truth_Seeker means... like.. there's nothing that has yet to be scientifically disputed... not even evolution or the creation of the world.. Sukhmani Sahib talks about both of these one place or another...

by negative direction, he probably means to leave sikhi.. it's so easy to be a sikh man.. why leave this religion? as brothers and sisters, should we not warn these people of everything they're leaving before they do leave?

i suppose.. i'm thinking... i donno.. but the way CJ put it is pretty right.. if you know the religion you're leaving like the back of your hand, and you're convinced that That religion isn't going to get you anywhere in your life....but if you haven't mastered and understood your own religion, it's kinda... i kinda feel like it's the rest of our duty to make sure that person understands what he or she is leaving...before making that fateful decision.

....but if you haven't mastered and understood your own religion, it's kinda... i kinda feel like it's the rest of our duty to make sure that person understands what he or she is leaving...before making that fateful decision.

would that be if they were leaving sikhi? or any religion?

do u feel it would be your duty to make sure someone wanting to convert to sikhism understood their own religion fully?

ji, what i meant is that if it's someone who is leaving Sikhi... if we are all actually a brotherhood and sisterhood under the flag of the Khalsa, shouldn't we make sure that they understand what they are leaving before they leave it?

If they are confused about their own religion, then I don't think it would be right to try and 'coerce' them to follow Sikhi instead. This sort of approach would probably be a favourite tactic by HUT.

But if the person knows their own faith but can find no solace in it, then encouraging them to learn about Sikhi should be our responsibility.

The same goes the other way - I know someone who was going through a rough patch and had decided to convert to Christianity. His mother supported him but fisrt made one request of him - that he learn about Sikhi first. And from knowing nothing about Sikhi he is now an Amritdharee who does a lot of seva in the UK. (Before people judge him, please understand that he was very young, traumatised and had very little knowledge of Sikhi).