The destruction of Sikh Heritage

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the SGPC only destroy the Akal Takht in 1984, or have they also destroyed other artefacts of Sikh Heritage from the time of their inception to the present day? From reading Kamalroop's forst post and form discourse that I have had with various people, I feel that the latter is true.

Before this thread becomes embroiled in a dispute over the rebuilding of the Akal Takht, can those who are in favour of the SGPC please comment on the other atrocities that SGPC are responsible for.

I am not supporting SGPC’s moves on other temples and art, yes they maybe wrong in that. But for a Sikh to say they were wrong for demolishing the Indira Gandhi's recreated Akal Takht have not sense of honour and dignity that we Punjabis pride ourselves with, but then again not everyone here happens to be a Punjabi, so I don’t expect them to understand our ways.

The only people who were a disgrace to their people were the likes of Baba Santa Singh, Giani Zial Singh, and General Brar who collaborated with Indira Gandeee against the wishes of the Panth.

I am not supporting SGPC’s moves on other temples and art, yes they maybe wrong in that.

There 'maybe' wrong in that?

but then again not everyone here happens to be a Punjabi, so I don’t expect them to understand our ways.

^ If you really believe that then you have just shown yourself to be a bigger fool than I gave you credit for.

Singh47, the irony of your insulting comment is that a non-Punjabi person feels massive loss and sorrow for the destruction of Sikh Heritage, yet you only feel that 'maybe' SGPC are wrong.

“If you really believe that then you have just shown yourself to be a bigger fool than I gave you credit for.

Singh47, the irony of your insulting comment is that a non-Punjabi person feels massive loss and sorrow for the destruction of Sikh Heritage, yet you only feel that 'maybe' SGPC are wrong.â€

Foolish are those who support the treacherous ways of the Ashur GOI and their “Sikh†chumpchaas. All I see is non-Punjabis trying to meddle in our affairs, trying to pose brother against brother. Judging from your post Beast, it seems these outsiders have succeeded in their agenda to some extent!

All I see is non-Punjabis trying to meddle in our affairs, trying to pose brother against brother. Judging from your post Beast, it seems these outsiders have succeeded in their agenda to some extent!

This is the mentality that is destroying Sikhi.

Kamalroop Singh has highlighted the destruction of Sikh Heritage, and yet you have attempted to misdirect people's attentions onto Lalleshvari (or did you have someone else in mind?).

First you tried to concentrate everybody's attentions onto the role played by the SGPC in 'rebuilding' the Akal Takht, ignoring the destruction on their part on other Gurdwaras. When pushed for an opinion on other Gurdwaras you feel that SGPC actions were 'maybe' harmful to Sikh Heritage. And at the same time you claim that those of a non-Punjabi origin who have shown sorrow towards the vandalised/destroyed heritage are actually Indian Govt supporters who are 'meddling' in 'our' affairs with some sort of agenda!

Please do not misdirect this thread. We are discussing the destruction of Skh Heritage by *!$%&£* SGPCs, not the origins of members on SikhAwareness. If all you can do is slander those of a different ancestory to yourself, then I suggest you join some neo-Nazi discussion group.

I am not trying to direct anyone’s attention towards anywhere. Nor did I name Pyaray Veer Lalleshwari. It is you who is jumping to conclusions.

I didn’t protest against people who worded out their concerns about the “destruction†of other Sikh temples and arts. But I did however show my concerns against people who say the Panth was wrong in tearing down Indira Gandees created Akal Takht. Some non-Punjabis are infact trying to create trouble and disunity within us. It’s unfortunate that you cannot see that “brotherâ€. Best way to weaken the Sikhs is to cause disunity within their ranks.

I am not slandering anyone. I have not named anyone. But certain individuals are slandering against Panthic Jathabandis like Taksal and AKJ because they tore down Ashur GOI created Akal Takht in 1984.

Beast,

Before this thread becomes embroiled in a dispute over the rebuilding of the Akal Takht

Kind of late for that don’t you think? Considering that’s what Kamalroop’s posts make most mention of in the whole thing. Or maybe it’s just me missing the whole “underlying†message that our history and culture is at risk from Taksal, AKJ, and SGPC who are all collaborating together to destroy it?.

As per my other post which I was asked to elaborate on, I also agree that we need to preserve our culture and history but what happened in 84 verses what’s happening elsewhere to be played of as being one and the same is where I disagree.

Narsingha said,

One should question as to WHY the S.G.P.C/AKJ/Taksal etc are so keen to destroy such works....

and Lalleshvari replied,

They abviously have something to hide...

Narsingha and Lallesvari, I can only ask what your views are for these groups to "destroy" such works and what reasons you hold that make you feel in that certain way. Also why the singling out of SGPC/AKJ/Taksal when representatives of groups such as Sant Smaaj, and various other Jathebandi’s/Samapardaa’s where also present in making the decision to rebuild the Akaal Takht.

I know making assumptions is never appropriate but I'm left to believe that you feel that they are actually working with Anti Sikh Forces, who would like to see nothing more then the fall of the Panth in hopes of there own glorification? If what I presented is in line or similar to your view maybe you can elaborate as to what each would gain, considering all three groups mentioned have conflict between each other to some degree. So really what does each group have to hide?

Beast, I personally have little respect for SGPC but admit that I know very little about there past (pre 84), however am still insulted to be dubbed as being part of them let alone an SGPC supporter as made claim by you. I can only ask that before you say that only mudslinging will occur, you yourself restrain from such actions. Slapping someone then saying lets not fight is not a good way to go about doing things.

Also,

Mods, can we make sure that this thread doesn't get hijacked by people who only wish to make personal attacks.

WHAT personal attacks did I or have I made?

I agree Sikhs in general need to start preserving there history much better. Nirmalaa Sampardha’s I feel have done the Panth a great service in this area especially at late when SGPC has been putting pressure on many Dera’s to let go of many historic Granth’s so as they claim can be taken “better care†of. There is a Singh that I know off, in the London Ontario area who has also started to accumulate a vast collection of historic Granths which would have otherwise been disregarded.

If your offended by any of the above then realize it was never done with any intent and I apologize in advance.

shindasingh, prior to your first post the following made comments: Kamalroop, lalleshvari, amandeepm, N3O, narsingha and jahan. Yet you singled out just Kamalroop and Lalleshvari for "cleverly incorporating 1984 into this". It was this that gave an inference that your comments were personal attacks.

The very fact that you have not named the non-Punjabi specifically makes me think that your argument has no foundation whatsoever. You see non-Punjabi's meddling in 'our' affairs, yet the birthplace of our ancestors gives us no right to desecrate places of Sikh Heritage. If it did then the GOI would only have had to send in one or two Punjabi blokes to destroy the Akal Takht.

Yes, that's right Non-Pujnabis are to blame, like this for example

Golden Temple artwork: Destruction or preservation!

>From Varinder Walia

Tribune News Service

AMRITSAR: “It is a shame ... why can’t you use natural pigments for preserving this great heritage?â€

These were the words of Duncan McCallum, a land-use planner of historic buildings and Director English Heritage, UK who was shocked to see the colossal damage to the ‘great artwork’ at Harmandar Sahib during his recent visit to Punjab.

The artwork at Harmandar Sahib has suffered not due to lack of funds, as enquired by Mr McCallum. This is mainly because of the indifferent attitude of all concerned.

The land of ‘five rivers’ witnessed invasions and political upheavals from time to time. With the result, people of Punjab hardly found any time for artwork. However, after the victories of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, Punjabis started taking keen interest in exploring their artistic expressions too. The Sikhs adopted the various traditions, especially Muslim for decorating their shrines, especially during the rule of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. However, during the rule of Mr Parkash Singh Badal, who had promised to give governance on the pattern of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, it is the rich heritage of Punjabis which has suffered the most.

The minor research project sponsored by University Grants Commission has pointed out the present status of the artwork of the Golden Temple. Mr Balvinder Singh, Project Coordinator and Head Department of Guru Ram Dass School of Planning and Ms Ranbir, a lecturer in the Department of Architecture, Guru Nanak Dev University, have done documentation of the artwork of Harmandar Sahib which brought to light the callous attitude of the SGPC management while preserving the heritage.

The researchers have stated that with overall development taking place in Punjab, the dawn of the 19th century saw the rise and development of the art of paintings too. Ranjit Singh’s rule in this era has been termed as a period of artistic and cultural renaissance in Punjab. The power and wealth of Maharaja Ranjit Singh attracted the surrounding Pahari painters too. “By the early nineteenth century, the Kangra School of Art was at decline. Kangra and surrounding hill states were conquered by the Maharaja and the artists were attracted towards the plains as lavish patronage to art was extended by Maharaja Ranjit Singhâ€.

However, after studying, analysing and documentation of various art forms, the authors pointed out the ‘grey areas. The chapter ‘present status’ reads, “Due to age and weathering effects, these magnificent artforms requires special attention to be restored to their original splendour .... It is pertinent for the present generation to give this valuable treasure to its progeny in its true form ...†The study of these artworks has shown that each of these requires a technical examination to either protect these from further damage or to restore them to their original form.

The important artwork — ‘jaratkari’ around the outerwalls of the main shrine is facing problems mainly due to changing colour of the marble slabs, missing inlaid stones and the restoration done in an incongruous way. “There is a need to replace the stones as well as marble slabs in harmony with the existing onesâ€, states Mr Balvinder Singh, in his research work.

The ‘mohrakashi’ work on the walls along the staircase (on the first and second floor) which has been damaged to a great extent needs immediate attention, says the research. Mr Balvinder Singh and his colleague say “Along the wall of one of the staircase leading to first floor, the damaged artworks has been ruthlessly scrapped off and thus it has vanished completelyâ€. The researchers say that no doubt the restoration work done by fixing metal sheets along the stairs leading to main shrine, having pure kind of the ‘mohrakashi’ work on the top of the damaged original work looks quite congruousâ€. However, he says “On the first floor hall of the main shrine, at places glass sheets have been used to cover and protect the original artwork which is a good attempt. However, the glass sheets have fixed in such a manner that it does not look juxtaposed and merges with the workâ€.

“The ceiling and upper portion of the side walls in ‘Darshani Deori’ which adorned with minute and ornamental artwork have been plastered and covered with embossed gold plates with the result unique artwork has been vanished.

The underside of the cornice of the main shrine has faced the same treatmentâ€.

Mr Balvinder Singh says, “the ‘Gach and tukri’ work seems better but still at places it is under the arch on the first floor of the main shrine the prayers (Japji Sahib, Jaap Sahib and Anand Sahib) need immediate attentionâ€.

The authors visualise another threat, which at present is not visible, but may damage the ‘gach work on the ceiling of the first floor, is due to covering of the roof with same transparent material for water proofing. But, the rain water as well as moisture trapped inside the transparent sheets will not evaporate, instead, it will percolate and may damage the invaluable ‘gach’ work on the ceiling below.

The authors of the UGC project also made valuable suggestions for preserving this age-old heritage. Mr Balvinder Singh said measured drawings of each and every art form should be prepared and documented. Apart from this, sketches and photographs of all floral designs should be prepared and documented so that in case of damage they can be restored in their original style. He said the restoration of vanished ‘mohrakashi’ artwork should be done with natural pigments instead of paint. He claimed that paints had less life and give a very shining look.

VahigurooJiKaKhalsa

VahigurooJiKeFateh!

The facts remain facts, the Indian Army damaged the Akal Takht, it was a heinious crime, which we all hang our heads with sorrow and grief, each year in mourning. It was a tragic loss, it was a knife in the heart a wound into the Sikh Panth.

However, to add to the sacriledge done in the name of National stablility, and all the political tensions, which are tragic, and some what disgusting. That the head of the SPGC the late Gurcharan Singh "Tohra" ran away when he promised to uphold the Akal Takht. He later became the head of the SGPC. Tell me who the hypocrites are?

Then to add insult to injury the angry Sangat, under the whim of the Khalistani's, destroyed the rest of the intact Takht, as well as that restored by Baba Santa Singh.

This is fact, it is not clever, it is simply dusted under the carpet,

Guys,

This is a very complex topic.

Whatever Happened Happened!

Lets make sure it doesnt happen again or ways how to correct this ferangi style reforement at our takths.

This time is not to fight. This is a time to acknowledging one mistake and work together to take this matter at the akaal takth or present this matter to the youths in form of presentations to show true colors of SGPC.

And Shinda Singh is right. There were other sampardha's who took part in this sad reforment.... lets not single out few jatha/sampardha's.

From my understanding of this sad reforment was nature of the suitaiton in the era of 1984. Ask any sikh, all went through hard ships during that time.

I m not saying reforement of this nature was good. Its sickening to the stomach..no doubt... but think of status of the panth during those times. Everything was just out of control...!

Lets concentrate more on awareness of such incidents to masses so such thing doesnt happen again.

vaheguru ji ka khalsa

vaheguru ji ki fateh

Try to blame everything on the Panthic groups ie Damdami Taksal, Sant samaj ie rara sahib, nanaksar etc akj, baba nihal singhs etc and YES i HATE the sgpc.

dnt worry the ppl who tore down Sri Akal Bunga ie the Sarbat Khalsa of 26th Jan 1986 in which all the major groups took part expect for SGPC and the Santa faction of the Budha dal. . Sri Akal Bunga was built to put back the izzat of the nation, it was a symbolic act. The Kar sewa of Sri Akal Bunga was not the 1st time its been built, how many times has it been destroyed??? Each time it was built it was not done in its original form. Any ways a building is a building to me what is more important to me is what is symbolises. Sri Akal Bunga to me symbolises FREEDOM, today its is under the control off dushts SGPC and in June 84 it was controlled by dushts ie indira.

Am sure when we get Khalsa Raaj we can restore our rich heritage etc.

Dhan Guruji

Dhan Thera Panth Khalsa

Never forget 84

Mod's Note: Part of your message bits here and there was deleted due to personal attacks. You can feel free to tackle the facts but take personal attacks over the pm

The real insult to injury came when Akali Baba Santa Singh leader and head of one of Sikhi's most sacred institutions the Budha Dal, accepted the funds from congress against the will of Sangat.

Sikhs are not a charity case. We do not need the support of congress to live, to grow to strive. However Jathedar Santa Singhs actions sent the opposite message. That we give up, you win, we need your money we need you (in reference to India).

Beast, it was Kamalroop who initiated the topic, and Lallshvri who eloquently added to his message on basis of 1984 of "neo-sikhs = nazis", to which my original post was addressing, and you lost me with the whole punjabi thing, as I made no mention of any such thing in any posts, so could you please clarify why that was directed to me.

I apologize if you or anyone else was hurt by my comments.

Beast, the fact that certain individuals are blaiming and dividing us is fact that they have an ulterior motive. It's unfortunate that you are gullible enough to become their pond in this game. Have more respect for yourself and your people brother. We need to stick togather and not listen to people trying to divide us. Think about Panthic unity, our Quami Ekta, rather than disunity.

Vahiguroo Ji Ka Khalsa

Vahiguroo Ji Ke Fateh!!!

The fact still remains whether you agree or not in the Akal Takht being restored by Baba Santa Singh, is that the Sangat and Kar Sevaks destroyed the heritage that was not destroyed by the Indian Government. This is fact. Regardless of the political angle of your opinions or mine.

My point is who is worse? The Indian Government who we all know did a really shameless act, but the Sikhs themselves who then completely raised the Akal Takht to the ground, to rebuild a new version, which has nothing historical about it?

Budda Dal contrary to popular propanga spread by the Khalistani Sikhs, did not accept the money by the Congress, the money was put into the Golak of the Guru.

If we think thats wrong, then every person who donates money to the Gurudwara should be vetted. When I myself came to meet in Mehta Chowk, Giani Amar Singh some 3 years ago some, top congress officials came to meet . Does that mean that:

Baba Thakur Singh Ji. Is Baba Ji a Brahmgiani also congress ?

We all know Baba Ji is a Brahmgiani immersed in deep Bhagti. He has no bad inclination in his body. Another good example is the Jatha (AKJ) who keep close ties with Prof.Darshan Singh. The Jatha are strict vegitarians, but he is not. He actually was on stage at an AKJ program in the U.K and promoted Bhai Rama Singhs book. That shows they are ideological opposed but for the sake of the Panth, they worked together.

In the same way Shinda Ji, all i am saying is lets think about our heritage before we loose it, and I illustrated it with the fact that when our unity breaks down as a Panth we all do more harm that good. This happens when the going gets tough, and people get trigger happy.

Bhul Chuka De Maaf.

...have not sense of honour and dignity that we Punjabis pride ourselves with, but then again not everyone here happens to be a Punjabi, so I don’t expect them to understand our ways.

i'm confused... are u saying that only punjabis have a sense of honour and dignity?

Some non-Punjabis are infact trying to create trouble and disunity within us. It’s unfortunate that you cannot see that “brotherâ€. Best way to weaken the Sikhs is to cause disunity within their ranks.

I am not slandering anyone. I have not named anyone. But certain individuals are slandering against Panthic Jathabandis like Taksal and AKJ because they tore down Ashur GOI created Akal Takht in 1984.

just say it straight!! if u think someone's "trying to create trouble and disunity" at least have the balls to say who it is. & don't try & be high & mighty saying that would be slander... slander is when u say something that is false. if u have any conviction in what u claim people are doing at least act like a man & say it! stop acting like a fussar. who are these "non-Punjabis" u are referring to?

Mod's Note: Edited- Please control your temper. Take it over the pm! Just an freindly warning for now

Veer Kamalroop Singh, I can understand your frustration at our heritage going down the drain. I agree with you wholeheartedly. But what the Taksal and the rest of the Panth did in 84 was necessary for the sake of honor of the Panth. Preserving buildings and art is good, but not at the expense of ones honor. Take for example the French in WW2 who surrendered Paris to the Germans without even firing a shot only because they did not want Paris to be damaged. Even to this day people all over the world crack jokes at the French for giving up Paris without resistance. In the eyes of the world, the French have very little honor left. If the Sikhs did not take down the government sponsored Akal Takht, Sikhs would have had very little izzat in the eyes of everyone.

By accepting a government made building would have been disgraceful enough as Sikhs were being humiliated all over India by taunts of Hindus like “Yadh Karega Khalsaâ€. By recreating the Akal Takht from scratch, the Panth restored a lot of honor to itself.

“i'm confused... are u saying that only punjabis have a sense of honour and dignity? “

NO, but what I am saying is that a lot of people here are confused as to why the Indira Gandhi sponsored Akal Takht was demolished. They are under the impression that it was demolished because the Panth or Panthic Jathabandis wanted to destroy Sikh heritage. They obviously don’t understand our Punjabi culture and manners in which Anakh and Izzat are more important than ones own life. If they had understood, they would not put the blame where it does not belong.

“w.t.f.?? be a f*cking man & just say it straight!! if u think someone's "trying to create trouble and disunity" at least have the balls to say who it is. & don't try & be high & mighty saying that would be slander... slander is when u say something that is false. if u have any conviction in what u claim people are doing at least act like a man & say it! stop acting like a fussar. who are these "non-Punjabis" u are referring to?â€

Veer Guv, no need to get overexcited by attempting to humiliate me. I would not mind naming names. But I have been warned through PM by the good hearted admins of this forum to control myself and my rustic Punjabi ways by not getting too personal or else I will be banned from this site and my posts will get deleted. I hope you understand the constraints I am under. So no, I will not name names. But if you PM me, we can chat without any barriers.

Perhaps some clarification is required on certain facts...(they can be clarified by reading news articles of the time, or consulting Gurmeet Rai and other distinguished experts in this field:

a) the Indian army shelled the Akal Takht due to Bhindrawalla and his men fortifying it and living in it. As such, large portions were destroyed - but the building still stood and was able to be restored

B) Akali Nihang Baba Santa Singh then RESTORED the Akal Takht using the ORIGINAL portions as a basis - this task was completed and the structure was fully RESTORED

c) the SGPC and other so-called 'Panthic groups' then proceeded to DESTROY the Akal Takht once it had been FULLY RESTORED by the Nihangs

d) the REBUILDING meant TOTAL destruction of the Akal Takht as it had stood since the times of the Gurus!!!! ALL the original gold, frescos, paintings, carvings, etc were LOST forever!!! A structure that had been placed by Akali Guru Hargobind Sahib, Baba Budha ji and the Akal Sena had been lost forever!!!

Therefore, the facts suggest that the SGPC/AKJ/SGPC and other self-proclaimed 'Panthic' groups acheived what the Indian Army could not....

...they demolished the ENTIRE Akal Takht (even those portions that remained after the shelling) in the name of the 'Panth'

As yet, NO ONE knows where the original portions of the Akal Takht are...ie, the termendous amount of Gold. According to experts, the gold currently on the Akal Takht is 'new' and contains a high copper content. This had meant that the gold is now turning black!!! Check it out for yourselves the next time you're at Durbar Sahib!!

The same can be said for Durbar Sahib itself, where the OLD gold panels have vanished, and have been replaced with 'new' gold, that is now turning a mild tint of BROWN!!

..I believe it is the Niskham Sevak Jatha who have been given 'Seva' of Durbar Sahib 'restoration'.

Impressive...is it not?

VahigurooJikakhalsa

VahigurooJiKefateh!!!

Dear Beloved Moderators,

The point I made about Baba Ji was what you made. That just because politicians and other famous people come to meet him, does not mean he does everything he does for them. Or is a slave to their whims. Baba Santa Singh is also visited by these people time to time, again he is not a slave to their whims.

Baba Thakur Singh unlike the gang of Sant Jarnail Singh wannabe's and Indian government informers that stay with him, is a very devoted Sikh. He spends most of his time in Bhajan and Bandagi. As to Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bhinderawala coming back, it would be interesting if Sant Ji did come back. However as times goes on it is only fair to say this looks more and more unlikely.

If Sant Jarnail Singh does not turn up, then the Taksal will be like the Namdharis waiting for Baba Ram Singh to turn up...

As the France argument goes, the Singhs never fought from the Akal Takht it makes no strategic sense. The Jathedar of the time Kirpal Singh also makes this point. If Baba Ji wished to make a stand with the Indian army, it is only logical in retrospect to say, it would have been better away from the Darbar Sahib. Where thousands of innocents also perished, the library, and the Takht was damaged.

It maybe easy for me to talk in retrospect, and look back and be critical, I certainly accept this whole heartedly. However the fact remains, that in history no man, ever took residence in the Takht. In terms of Maryada, this can be seen to be a violation.

This was a tradegy, a loss to us all. A painful episode. Now it is practically over, lets now discuss what exactly we lost? As well as how we in our small worlds can do something together to archive what we have.

On page 763 of A History of the Sikh People, Dr Gopal Singh,

he writes that the Kotha Sahib within the Takht remained intact. He also says that why Artifacts that were damaged were never saved, has never been explained.

On Page 770 he says the painting were 400 years-old. He also writes on the page before that many experts from around the world were called in to restore the Takht.

This makes much more sense than to pull a whole building down.

The fact remains my beloved Sangat, that my issue is not about Sant Jarnail Singh, it is not about anything political, it is to do with one simple fact.

We destroyed more of it than the Indian Government. My post is amined at finding out via networking as to what was their previously.

Kamalroop Singh