Importance of Sri sukhmani Sahib

11 hours ago, Sainath said:

WAHEGRUR. WAHEGRUR.  WAHEGRUR.                                                                 I HAVE ONE MORE QUESTIONS.HOPE SOME ONE WILL GIVE MÉ THE ANSWER.WHAT WILL YOU SAY IF I TOLD YOU ALL THAT WHEN I CLOSE MY EYES,I CAN SEE GUTKA SAHIBS WORDS NOT ALL THE TIME BUT MANY TIMES.WHICH MAKE MÉ VERY CONFUSED .                                                           IF YOU THINK I MUST HAVE LOST MY MIND,ITS OK,AS I THINK THE SAME MANY TIMES.UP TO NOW NO BODY COULD GIVE MÉ ANSWER,.                         I HAVE TOO MUCH FAITH AND BELEIVE IN GOD SINCE I WAS VERY SMALL.I AM VERY POSITIV PERSON.I ALWAYS BELEIVE WHAT EVER HAPPEN IN MY LIFE IS BY GOD,SO I NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT ANY THING.I HAVE SUFFERED A LOT BECAUSE OF BAD HEALTH,STILL I AM VERY HAPPY AND POSITIV IN LIFE.AND VERY GRATEFUL IN MY LIFE.                                                                        ONE THING MORE PLEASE TELL MÉ WHAT IS THE EASY WAY TO LEARN PATH BY HEART,AS I AM UNABLE TO DO SO.                  THANKS A LOT.  MAY GOD ALWAYS KEEP EVERY ONE SAFE AND HAPPY.TAKE CARE.

Feels Good that you are positive in our life no matter what, and you are a keen learner. Keep it up.

Now regarding your question that "when you close your eyes you can see Gutka Sahib words & you are confused about that"
Let me try to clear your confusion. In the light of Sikhi, enlightenment is when you open your eyes and who see whole world as one jyot of God. That's when you will realize that you are getting true darshan of Guru Sahib when you see God in everone with your opened eyes. Na Koi Bairi, Na Begana.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh,

thanks a lot for all the answers.very happy.i will cont.doing path every day.after i started doing path,i feel more happy and light in my body.

thanks  once more.

bhul chuk maaf. take care.

4 hours ago, akalpurkh said:

Gurbani was to learn, Understand & to Implement its Principles in life. 

Bro, you are right above, but one cannot deny that Gurbani is meant for recitation too. Obviously, it makes more sense for a person to understand the Jaap/Mantar, he/she is reciting. 

Ang 285

ਬਾਰੰ ਬਾਰ ਬਾਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਜਪੀਐ ॥

Time after time, again and again, meditate on God.

ਪੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਧ੍ਰਪੀਐ ॥

Drinking in this Nectar, this mind and body are satisfied.

Bhul chuk maaf

6 hours ago, akalpurkh said:

Where in Guru Granth Sahib Ji can I find this written, that 2 Sukhmani Path Every day equals a Sehaj Path? Who started these equations? These Countings?

This is for the benefit of Sangat only , since many people don't know about this, not for so called "kal-banda".

This is an oral tradition and I am not sure if it can be found in written documents. If someone comes across this , that would be helpful. This maryada of 2 sukhamni sahib paths, 10 japjis, 6 moolmantars malas, waheguru 80 malas were started by the 10th Guru Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji maharaj himself. Singhs asked Guru ji that it is difficul to carry around a saroop of Guru Granth Sahib as they are always on horses, how can they benefit from a sehaj path of Guru Sahib. This jugti was given by Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

This jugti has since travelled down sampardas.

This bachan was told by Dhan Baba Nand Singh ji & Dhan Baba Ishar Singh Ji kaleran, I heard it in their bachan tapes. Sant Ishar Singh Ji rara sahib also agree with this Jugti.  Not sure about Taksals stance on this.

13 minutes ago, Gunahgar said:

This bachan was told by Dhan Baba Nand Singh ji & Dhan Baba Ishar Singh Ji kaleran, I heard it in their bachan tapes. Sant Ishar Singh Ji rara sahib also agree with this Jugti.  Not sure about Taksals stance on this.

Most likely, Taksaal will agree too.

Thanks for sharing.

Bhul chuk maaf

6 hours ago, akalpurkh said:

Where were these Shaheed Singhs when the Sikh Women were getting raped in the streets of New Delhi in 1984?

Stop misleading. Read Gurbani selflessly to understand & Implement its principles in you Life. 

Bro, it is possible for a non-Sikh to ask "where was your living guru (SSGGSJM), when women were being raped?" 

What will you say then?

Don't become too skeptical in life. Daas would humbly request you to try one of the following Jaaps as mentioned in the link below. It is possible that Shaheed Singhs might give you darshan, if you are a Rehatvaan Sikh.

https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=188884087949115&id=118443064993218

Bhul chuk maaf

17 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

This is for the benefit of Sangat only , since many people don't know about this, not for so called "kal-banda".

This is an oral tradition and I am not sure if it can be found in written documents. If someone comes across this , that would be helpful. This maryada of 2 sukhamni sahib paths, 10 japjis, 6 moolmantars malas, waheguru 80 malas were started by the 10th Guru Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji maharaj himself. Singhs asked Guru ji that it is difficul to carry around a saroop of Guru Granth Sahib as they are always on horses, how can they benefit from a sehaj path of Guru Sahib. This jugti was given by Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Dear brother, 

I do not intend to upset you. 

The name of the forum is "Sikh Awareness" , had it been "Bipar Awareness" , I wouldn't have intervene.

Being a Sikh, I have right to object on any propagation which is against my Guru's teachings.

Ignorant Brahmins fooled India for many many years by making people to do such fokat karamkand by putting them into this chakar of reciting mantras in parrot-fashion manner. 

I can talk long on this but topic of how bipar waad looted India & how Gurbani puts aside all this age old bipar karam kand, but first we need to open our mind & heart to understand  it. 

lastly, on Malas. I request you to please show me one shabad from Guru Granth Sahib which says about Mala ferna.

Then,  I will show you shabads which objects(khandan) the very concept of using Malas.

5 hours ago, jaikaara said:

There is no end to such reasoning and cross questioning against any abhyas done. Tomorrow the very purpose of keeping kes can be questioned . So i personally feel if someone is doing abhyas with x number of paaths or simran there is nothing wrong with it . Everything and anything that does not go accroding to our will we blame the brahmans and brahman vaad ..i dont know how much of Sikhi should we consider that.

Okay Brother, I will stop cross questioning, if you show me one Shabad from Guru Granth Sahib Ji that supports or teaches us the concept of counting and using Mala.

22 hours ago, akalpurkh said:

Bro, please show me those Shabads. You are probable missing the central idea of the shabads, even if they exist. Please show me.

Bro, we can have a Gurmat veechar on some topics in a separate thread, but can you please answer the question below?

Do you believe in all Gurbani (Sri Aad Guru Granth Sahib jee Maharaaj, Sri Dasam Granth Sahib jee and Sri Sarabloh Granth Sahib jee and other Gurbanis)?

Bhul chuk maaf

13 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

Guru Granth Sahib Ji highly respect Sants. Most Sants use mala for the purpose of teaching to devotees. Sants are the living embodiment of the teachings of Guru Sahib.

Also, there is a shabad in Gurbani by Bhagat Kabir ji  bhookhe bhagat na keeje yeh maala apni leeje  I cannot do your bhagti if I am hungry, here take away your mala..This is an evidence that Bhagat used to do Maalas in his initial stages of Bhagti.

Also, there is a sakhi from the life of Guru Nanak Sahib where a young boy made a mala out of his hair, and Guru Nanak used to keep that Mala on his Turban. This can be seen in the painting that was specifically created by Baba Nand Singh ji. Baba Nand Singh ji used to have pratakh darshan of Guru Nanak Sahib.

You can find Simrana of Baba Deep Singh ji maharaj which was made out of Sarbloh.

You can also find simrana and malas made out of Sarbloh for Mata Sahib Kaur Ji.

Nihangs used malas made out of Sarbloh.

There is plenty of evidence for Mala use.

Where can I buy simrana? Like Kara type but with Iron beads. But want it to fit my arm. Like not too lose and not too tight. I have big hands but small wrist so fitting anything is a huge problem for me. 

There is a story of 8th Master about Mala too.

@paapiman

My Sikh encyclopedia brother, Do you know this saakhi? It's about a man asking 8th Master about Mala and he said 7th Masters Mala is even prettier. Man was a thief and wanted to steal i think. 

10 hours ago, BhagatSingh said:

Mala is an ancient device for keeping track of time (amongst other things).

In Guru Granth sahib, you will never hear Guru Sahibs say "meditate for 20 minutes" or "24 hours" or "meditate around the clock".

There were no clocks.

Their unit of measuring time was breath "meditate Shwas Giraas" meditate with every breath and every swallow, which translates to "meditate all the time".

Their unit of measuring time was the positioning of the sun "meditate Atth peher", which translated to "meditate 24 hours" or "meditate around the clock"

This is how tehy said to meditate all the time.

So what about specific amounts of time like "meditate for 20 minutes". Well that is done with a Mala. And it's a rough unit of measurement. It's your own personal unit of measurement.

Suppose - When you count on a mala, you can see that if you do 101 Malas that it goes from afternoon to evening, (roughly 3 hours in modern age).

So when you sit down with your eyes closed and going into a state of being, which is a state where you cannot keep track of time. Then you can rely on your Mala. You can do 101 Malas and you will know only 3 hours will pass by. 

You can focus on maintaining state, instead of worrying about time.

Can you imagine if you sit down to attempt samadhi and the whole day goes by because there are no clocks or alarms to tell you, you've been in smadhi for far too long? You will miss the day's work and all the chores you need to do.

Do you know those saints who went into Samadhi for days? Some even went into samadhi until their death and became fossilized!

Can a Grihasti banda afford to go through that?

That's the functional and practical aspect of having a mala. It acts like a timer, like an alarm clock.

Never thought that way. Thank you for explaining.

5 minutes ago, GurpreetKaur said:

There is a story of 8th Master about Mala too.

@paapiman

My Sikh encyclopedia brother, Do you know this saakhi? It's about a man asking 8th Master about Mala and he said 7th Masters Mala is even prettier. Man was a thief and wanted to steal i think. 

Sister, will try to find out about the Sakhi above. At this point, I don't know the details.

There is a sakhi, regarding an impostor, who stole Third Master's Simrana.

Bhul chuk maaf

13 hours ago, Gunahgar said:

Also, there is a sakhi from the life of Guru Nanak Sahib where a young boy made a mala out of his hair, and Guru Nanak used to keep that Mala on his Turban. This can be seen in the painting that was specifically created by Baba Nand Singh ji. Baba Nand Singh ji used to have pratakh darshan of Guru Nanak Sahib.

Bro, can you please provide details, regarding the above Sakhi?

Bhul chuk maaf

On 05/03/2016 at 6:22 AM, Gunahgar said:

Guru Granth Sahib Ji highly respect Sants. Most Sants use mala for the purpose of teaching to devotees. Sants are the living embodiment of the teachings of Guru Sahib.

Also, there is a shabad in Gurbani by Bhagat Kabir ji  bhookhe bhagat na keeje yeh maala apni leeje  I cannot do your bhagti if I am hungry, here take away your mala..This is an evidence that Bhagat used to do Maalas in his initial stages of Bhagti.

You can find Simrana of Baba Deep Singh ji maharaj which was made out of Sarbloh.

Counting beads – ਮਾਲਾ ਫੇਰਨੀ, chanting with Maalaa (rosary)…

When Kabeer Sahib realized he wasted his life in Kashi (“ਸਗਲ ਜਨਮੁ ਸਿਵ ਪੁਰੀ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥”, (sggs 326). ) by following the worthless rituals prescribed by the Brahmin / Pundit (such as counting beads – Maalaa or rosary, and so on), he moved from there. After realizing uselessness of empty rituals such as counting beads, he threw away the rosary and declared:

• ਭੂਖੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥ ਯਹ ਮਾਲਾ ਅਪਨੀ ਲੀਜੈ ॥: Bhookhe bhagti na keejai. Jah maalaa apanee leejai: Bhagti (devotion…) cannot be performed while hungry (for Maya – Maya’s hunger, love of Maya…). (So) Here is Your Maalaa (rosary), take it back. (sggs 656).

The person who counts beads (ਮਾਲਾ ਫੇਰਨੀ) is full of hunger for Maya (ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ ਭੁੱਖਾ) – totally Mann Mateeaa (ਮਨ ਮਤੀਆ-the Manmukh who lives against the Gurmat or Teaching of the Gurbani). Those who take on Maalaa are called “ਨਿਪੂਤੇ” (worthless son-ਔਂਤਰਾ) in the Gurbani, for in such worthless stubborn minded practice there can be noSukha (ਸੁਖ).

• ਜਬ ਕੀ ਮਾਲਾ ਲਈ ਨਿਪੂਤੇ ਤਬ ਤੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਨ ਭਇਓ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: Jabb kee maalaa laee nipoote tabb te sukhu n bhaio ||1||Rahaaou||: Ever since this worthless son (i.e., mind, ਔਂਤਰਾ ਮਨ…) has taken the Maalaa (rosary), since than there has been no Sukha (Joy, ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤੀ, Gain, etc.)! ||1||Pause|| (sggs 856).

Thus, the Gurbani repudiates (Khandan) Pakhand-Baazee (deception, hypocrisy, humbug, pretense, etc.) such as counting beads (chanting with Maalaa, rosary). Such nonsense was introduced by those who purposely intended to corrupt the Gurmat (Aatam-Giaan, Knowledge, Wisdom, or Teaching of the Gurbani). Instead of correcting this mistake, unfortunately, this falsehood is not only carried on, but further propagated by the Mayadhaaree Pujaaree-Group (Bhais, Granthees, Raagees, Jathedaars, Paathees, and so on). It’s all “Golak Daa Chakkar” (money)! The Gurbani wants us to make meditation (Naam-Simran: Gur-Giaan, Shabad-Vichaar…) the rosary enshrined in the Heart within.

• ਹਰਿ ਮਾਲਾ ਉਰ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਧਾਰੈ ॥ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਕਾ ਦੂਖੁ ਨਿਵਾਰੈ ॥੨॥: Har maalaa our antar dhaarai || Janam maran kaa dookh nivaarai ||2||: (That person who) enshrines the rosary of God’s Name within the heart, is freed of the pains of birth and death cycle ||2|| (sggs 388).

But still, as seen everyday, the emphasis of most of the clergy, clerics, Bhais, Raagees, Kathaakaars, Giaanees, Parchaaraks, Sants, Baabaas, etc., is to promote religious symbols and rituals that are strongly repudiated by the Gurbani. They are totally in contradiction with the Divine Teaching (Aatam-Giaan…) and purpose of the SGGS. Why does Gurbani rejects this nonsense? Because all calculations or all calculated Bhagti is in false ego-sense (Haumai). Consider these verses:

• ਹਉਮੈ ਸਭਾ ਗਣਤ ਹੈ ਗਣਤੈ ਨਉ ਸੁਖੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥: All accounting is in egotism. In this accounting, there is no Peace (sggs 36).
  • ਗਣਤੈ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਰਮੀਤਾ ॥: Ganatai prabhoo na paaeeai doojai bharameetaa: God cannot be obtained by counting; the mortal wanders in doubt — Maya, duality etc. (sggs 510).

This Giaan of the Gurbani is also meant for the Sikhs!! If we don’t believe it then we are not Sikhs. the Gurmat and Saakat-Matt are two different and opposing things. All counting is for the conditioned or material being (Manmukh, Saakat, Mayadhaaree…) for his life or world is in the realm of calculations — egoism or Maya.

There is no counting or calculations for the one who has become the Gurmukh (one who lives the Shabad-Giaan, Gur-Giaan, Gurmat…); because he knows he is not separate from God. He thus relieves himself of all egoistic or mental calculations through the constant abidance in his Joti-Svaroopa within.

So the Gurbani urges us to stop counting beads and become the Gurmukhi.

• ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਗਲੀ ਗਣਤ ਮਿਟਾਵੈ ॥: Gurmukh sagalee ganath mittaavai: The Gurmukh erases all calculations (sggs 942).

On 05/03/2016 at 7:57 PM, GurpreetKaur said:

like this but want iron. 

image.jpeg

When Kabeer Sahib realized he wasted his life in Kashi (“ਸਗਲ ਜਨਮੁ ਸਿਵ ਪੁਰੀ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥”, (sggs 326). ) by following the worthless rituals prescribed by the Brahmin / Pundit (such as counting beads – Maalaa or rosary, and so on), he moved from there. After realizing uselessness of empty rituals such as counting beads, he threw away the rosary and declared:

• ਭੂਖੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥ ਯਹ ਮਾਲਾ ਅਪਨੀ ਲੀਜੈ ॥: Bhookhe bhagti na keejai. Jah maalaa apanee leejai: Bhagti (devotion…) cannot be performed while hungry (for Maya – Maya’s hunger, love of Maya…). (So) Here is Your Maalaa (rosary), take it back. (sggs 656).

The person who counts beads (ਮਾਲਾ ਫੇਰਨੀ) is full of hunger for Maya (ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ ਭੁੱਖਾ) – totally Mann Mateeaa (ਮਨ ਮਤੀਆ-the Manmukh who lives against the Gurmat or Teaching of the Gurbani). Those who take on Maalaa are called “ਨਿਪੂਤੇ” (worthless son-ਔਂਤਰਾ) in the Gurbani, for in such worthless stubborn minded practice there can be noSukha (ਸੁਖ).

• ਜਬ ਕੀ ਮਾਲਾ ਲਈ ਨਿਪੂਤੇ ਤਬ ਤੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਨ ਭਇਓ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: Jabb kee maalaa laee nipoote tabb te sukhu n bhaio ||1||Rahaaou||: Ever since this worthless son (i.e., mind, ਔਂਤਰਾ ਮਨ…) has taken the Maalaa (rosary), since than there has been no Sukha (Joy, ਪ੍ਰਾਪਤੀ, Gain, etc.)! ||1||Pause|| (sggs 856).

Thus, the Gurbani repudiates (Khandan) Pakhand-Baazee (deception, hypocrisy, humbug, pretense, etc.) such as counting beads (chanting with Maalaa, rosary). Such nonsense was introduced by those who purposely intended to corrupt the Gurmat (Aatam-Giaan, Knowledge, Wisdom, or Teaching of the Gurbani). Instead of correcting this mistake, unfortunately, this falsehood is not only carried on, but further propagated by the Mayadhaaree Pujaaree-Group (Bhais, Granthees, Raagees, Jathedaars, Paathees, and so on). It’s all “Golak Daa Chakkar” (money)! The Gurbani wants us to make meditation (Naam-Simran: Gur-Giaan, Shabad-Vichaar…) the rosary enshrined in the Heart within.

• ਹਰਿ ਮਾਲਾ ਉਰ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਧਾਰੈ ॥ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਕਾ ਦੂਖੁ ਨਿਵਾਰੈ ॥੨॥: Har maalaa our antar dhaarai || Janam maran kaa dookh nivaarai ||2||: (That person who) enshrines the rosary of God’s Name within the heart, is freed of the pains of birth and death cycle ||2|| (sggs 388).

But still, as seen everyday, the emphasis of most of the clergy, clerics, Bhais, Raagees, Kathaakaars, Giaanees, Parchaaraks, Sants, Baabaas, etc., is to promote religious symbols and rituals that are strongly repudiated by the Gurbani. They are totally in contradiction with the Divine Teaching (Aatam-Giaan…) and purpose of the SGGS. Why does Gurbani rejects this nonsense? Because all calculations or all calculated Bhagti is in false ego-sense (Haumai). Consider these verses:

• ਹਉਮੈ ਸਭਾ ਗਣਤ ਹੈ ਗਣਤੈ ਨਉ ਸੁਖੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥: All accounting is in egotism. In this accounting, there is no Peace (sggs 36).
  • ਗਣਤੈ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਰਮੀਤਾ ॥: Ganatai prabhoo na paaeeai doojai bharameetaa: God cannot be obtained by counting; the mortal wanders in doubt — Maya, duality etc. (sggs 510).

This Giaan of the Gurbani is also meant for the Sikhs!! If we don’t believe it then we are not Sikhs. the Gurmat and Saakat-Matt are two different and opposing things. All counting is for the conditioned or material being (Manmukh, Saakat, Mayadhaaree…) for his life or world is in the realm of calculations — egoism or Maya.

There is no counting or calculations for the one who has become the Gurmukh (one who lives the Shabad-Giaan, Gur-Giaan, Gurmat…); because he knows he is not separate from God. He thus relieves himself of all egoistic or mental calculations through the constant abidance in his Joti-Svaroopa within.

• ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਗਲੀ ਗਣਤ ਮਿਟਾਵੈ ॥: Gurmukh sagalee ganath mittaavai: The Gurmukh erases all calculations (sggs 942).

On 05/03/2016 at 9:05 AM, BhagatSingh said:

Mala is an ancient device for keeping track of time (amongst other things).

In Guru Granth sahib, you will never hear Guru Sahibs say "meditate for 20 minutes" or "24 hours" or "meditate around the clock".

There were no clocks.

Their unit of measuring time was breath "meditate Shwas Giraas" meditate with every breath and every swallow, which translates to "meditate all the time".

Their unit of measuring time was the positioning of the sun "meditate Atth peher", which translated to "meditate 24 hours" or "meditate around the clock"

This is how tehy said to meditate all the time.

So what about specific amounts of time like "meditate for 20 minutes". Well that is done with a Mala. And it's a rough unit of measurement. It's your own personal unit of measurement.

Suppose - When you count on a mala, you can see that if you do 101 Malas that it goes from afternoon to evening, (roughly 3 hours in modern age).

So when you sit down with your eyes closed and going into a state of being, which is a state where you cannot keep track of time. Then you can rely on your Mala. You can do 101 Malas and you will know only 3 hours will pass by. 

You can focus on maintaining state, instead of worrying about time.

Can you imagine if you sit down to attempt samadhi and the whole day goes by because there are no clocks or alarms to tell you, you've been in smadhi for far too long? You will miss the day's work and all the chores you need to do.

Do you know those saints who went into Samadhi for days? Some even went into samadhi until their death and became fossilized!

Can a Grihasti banda afford to go through that?

That's the functional and practical aspect of having a mala. It acts like a timer, like an alarm clock.

Counting Beads is Contrary to Gurmat

On 05/03/2016 at 6:22 AM, Gunahgar said:

On 04/03/2016 at 11:10 AM, jaikaara said:

Bro , people like me atleast are at a crawling stage...gradually the transition may happen. If you read the Akaal Ustat bani of Guru you would realize that a number of rituals we do at the Guru Ghar will also appear meaningless however we need to understand that the stage is of a advanced level. The Tuhi Tuhi Tuhi...when uttered Maharaj was in Maha Samadhi . I personally feel when we say something is not necessary we think according to our own preferences. We are not considering the others who perhaps are not thinking at that level and it does not mean they are some mediocre creatures.

The gyaan of the Sikhi in the Sukhmani sahib though simplified is not easily digested by common man , even after doing the bani how many of them go above rituals ?

Try understanding one thing ..the Gurus explained the futility of the rituals however there is a different level . The way Islam condemns and criticizes is different. Guru sahibs with utmost pyaar explain like Eh karke ki hoya ?

Let us look at individual assessment and achieve the awastha rather go after others is what i feel.

On 02/03/2016 at 8:30 PM, Gunahgar said: