is cutting hair mensioned in the SGGSJ

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Dear one, you must understand that Guroo Jee is of a universal nature..Guroo Jee also says 'naam japo', that naam is the only eternal thing in this world, but does Sri Guroo ever mention which naam to repeat? No..because Sri Guroo Granth Sahib jee is the Guroo for all mankind..To come right out and say you can not cut your hair would not make it universal for all..To be a Sikh is simply to be a seeker, someone who uses Guroo jee as their guide in this adventure we call life! Guroo Jee does mention to cherish the gifts of akal purakh, to bring no harm to the body, etc...

Keep the mind open :)

but does Sri Guroo ever mention which naam to repeat?

Naam is inside us the day we were born or day we were in the womb.

Method of awakening that Naam is done through Gurmantra which is mentioned in sggs ji:

As bhai gurdas mentions

'Waheguru Gur Mantar Hai Jap Homay Khoyee"

Guru Maharaj does instruct his sikhs to follow "Vahiguroo" as gurmantra (Doorway to mukhti). That is one way that Sikhs are instructed to follow.

Almost all the sikh amrit-sanchars give you "vahiguroo" as gurmantar. This is even mentioned in Budda Dal Gutka.

Anyways, I dont want to side track the topic. I just wanted to mention that.

Guest Maha_Pavitar

It also instructs to repeat 'Raam', Nirankaar, etc..that is not the point veerjee..the point i was making is that Guroo Jee is of a universal nature and will always remain that way.

but the SGGS does not say directly dont cut hair

The SGGS does not say we should never cut our hair. The 10th Nanak, Guru Gobind Singh said we should never cut the hair. Just because the 11th Guru is SGGS and it doesn't say to not cut hair doesn't mean it does away with what the last Guru said.

If one Guru says to do something and the next Guru never mentions it, we still do it unless the new Guru says stop doing it. I hope I explained that the way I was thinking it. =)

akalbir

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

so SGGS does't say to keep hair is interpreted as we shudn't keep hair...hmmm...

question 1 : SGGS does not say to keep hair, so why should we keep hair? fair enuff...

question 2 : SGGS does not say to cut hair either, so why should we cut it? hmmm ?

bhul chuk maaf

so SGGS does't say to keep hair is interpreted as we shudn't keep hair...hmmm...

question 1 : SGGS does not say to keep hair, so why should we keep hair? fair enuff...

question 2 : SGGS does not say to cut hair either, so why should we cut it? hmmm ?

yes Mehtab,

It appears that Orchid is making the assumption that we can cut our hair. This is due to the fact SGGS doesn't directly say we should keep long hair.

I assume it's becaue SGGS is the current Guru and SGGS doesn't say to keep hair uncut. It also doesn't say we CAN cut hair.

I replied above as such:

"The SGGS does not say we should never cut our hair. The 10th Nanak, Guru Gobind Singh said we should never cut the hair. Just because the 11th Guru is SGGS and it doesn't say to not cut hair doesn't mean it does away with what the last Guru said.

If one Guru says to do something and the next Guru never mentions it, we still do it unless the new Guru says stop doing it. I hope I explained that the way I was thinking it. =) "

akalbir

"Maha Pavitar" - I'm quite surprised at your post. Sikhi is obviously a universal religion. Hair is naturally present on every single person in the world. People only started removing their hair recently because of societal/social pressure. So why would it not be universal for everyone to keep their hair? It's naturally on the bodies of almost all men and women born! Keeping hair would be practical for ALL people.

To everyone else. Even if the Guru Granth Sahib does not explicitly say "keep your hair" - think about it this way - if you become enrolled in a school, none of your textbooks will contain any information about the school UNIFORM. The Guru Granth Sahib Ji is still your TEACHER, but the Khalsa Panth is the school. You need to enter this school and follow the rules of the Khalsa, as ascribed by Dhan Dhan Maharaj Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Jee and his beloved Gursikhs.

Consider this shabad:

paanch singh amrith jo dhaevai thaan ko sir dhhar shhak pun laevai|| apun mil paancho rehith jo bhaakhai thaan ko man mae dhrirr kar raakhai||

(meaning): Offer you head and take the Amrit prepared by five Singhs. The code of conduct (Rehat), which they bless you with, should be enshrined in one's heart.

In all rehat maryadas (akal takht, damdami taksal, akj, etc) keeping all hair is essential. Guru Gobind Singh Ji tells us to follow the rehat given to us by the Panj Pyare. ALSO - the guru granth sahib ji states that you should listen to ANYTHING and EVERYTHING your Guru tells you to do. Jo Gur Kahay Soee Bhal Mano! So that means we should treat ALL Gurus equally. If Guru Gobind Singh Jee indicated that we should keep our hair and told us so take Amrit, we MUST listen to him in order to be Sikhs!

Bhai Desa Singh's rehatnama also states the following:

prathham rehath eaehee hai kehee || paahul main jo singhan kehee ||

(meaning): The most important principle is to forever remember the Rehat given by the Singhs at the initiation ceremony.

We should obviously listen to the rehat given to us by Gursikhs who actually know what they're talking about, like the Beloved Panj :D

There is another hukam that Shahey ShahnShah Dasmesh Guru Gobind Singh Jee wrote to the sangat of kabul, here is a brief translation:

You should take baptism by the sword, from Five Beloveds

Keep your hair uncut for this is a seal of the Guru

Accept the use of shorts and a sword

Always wear iron Kara on your wrist,

Keep you hair clean and comb it twice a day.

(Guru Gobind Singh)

If you look through the Amrit Keertan book also you will find the following shabads by Guru Gobind Singh -

"Bina Shasthr Kesang Narang Bhed Jano" (Guru Gobind Singh) - Without Kes and Shasters you are considered to be a sheep.

and

"Bina Theg Kesang Dhivo Na Dhidhaarey" (Guru Gobind Singh) Without Tegh (weapons) and hair, do not come to get my darshan.

Hair definitely does assist in doing bhagti, I know that for myself at least. Sometimes Gursikhs have talked to me about how they can feel all of their hairs vibrating with Naam when they do simran :D :D :D waheguru!!! I love that feeling when each and every hair on your body is tingling. And you feel so blessed that God himself put each hair on your body. It's a wonderful thing. :P:):D

Guest Maha_Pavitar

Beautiful Post..but I never said hair was not important..again I was talking about the universal nature of Guroo jee (!) anyone can read and fall in love with the beautiful bachans..but no pain caused, just know that like yourself I couldn't imagine life without rehit..kesh..amongst other things!

Orchids r u a mona?

Uncut hair matted means that u ahir is dirty and tangled. But in oreder to be a Sikh u must keep ur hair on ur AND on your beard long and it must be combed twice and day and washed oftenly and kept clean. Guru Sahib said that without Kesh u r not his sikh and he if not u Guru

Guru ji says " sabat soorat dastar sija "(rehatnama )

baba Farid ji says " Sabat sooorat rab di bhanan beyimaan ."(SGGS)

its clear that to be called a sikh u have to be keep your kesh . no exceptions. no excuses .

'Sabat Soorat Dastar Sira' is a line from Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

'Sabar Soorat Rab Di Bhanney Beyeemaan' is not in Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

I just did a search, and in reading all shabads in their entirety, there is nothing is gurbani which expicitly states/implies we have to grow our kesh.

Quite the opposite, i find guru nanak dev jis bani to oppose any relegious fashions/symbols. Quite confusing really. Maybe, at the most, it just reminds us that we should no doubt maintain our kesh (as guru gobind singh ji taught us) but at the same time, to not let it be a form we use to cover up filthy minds..which is what alot of relegious people do/use to do i.e. use relegious garments to cover up the falseless inside..

I just did a search, and in reading all shabads in their entirety, there is nothing is gurbani which expicitly states/implies we have to grow our kesh.
Looks like no one read my post on the 1st page...anyways...lemme post it again

rom rom mehi basehi muraar ||

and on each and every hair, the Lord abides.

~Bhagat Kabeer Ji

Raag Gauree

gur kae charan kaes sa(n)g jhaarae ||1||

with my hair, I dust the feet of the Guru. ||1||

~Guru Arjan Dev Ji

Raag Aasaa

romae rom rom romae mai guramukh raam dhhiaaeae raam ||

With each and every hair, with each and every hair, as Gurmukh, I meditate on the Lord.

~Guru Raam Daas Ji

Raag Aasaa

kaes sa(n)g dhaas pag jhaaro eihai manorathh mor ||1||

With my hair, I wash the feet of Your slave; this is my life's purpose. ||1||

~Guru Arjan Dev Ji

Raag Gujri

kaesaa kaa kar beejanaa sa(n)th chour dtulaavo ||

I make my hair into a fan, and wave it over the Saint.

~Guru Arjan Dev Ji

Raag Soohee

kaesaa kaa kar chavar dtulaavaa charan dhhoorr mukh laaee ||1|| rehaao ||

I make my hair into a fan, and wave it over them; I apply the dust of their feet to my face. ||1||Pause||

~Guru Arjan Dev Ji

Raag Soohee

ttehal karo thaerae dhaas kee pag jhaaro baal ||

I perform service for Your slave, O Lord, and wipe his feet with my hair.

~Guru Arjan Dev Ji

Raag Bilaaval

guramukh rom rom har dhhiaavai ||

The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair of his body.

~Guru Nanak Dev Ji

Raag Raamkalee

naanak raviaa habh thhaae van thrin thribhavan rom ||2||

O Nanak, He is pervading and permeating all places, the forests and the meadows, the three worlds, and every hair. ||2||

~Guru Arjan Dev Ji

Raag Raamkalee

dhivas rain thaerae paao paloso kaes chavar kar faeree ||1||

Day and night, I wash Your feet, Lord; I wave my hair as the chauree, to brush away the flies. ||1||

~Bhagat Kabeer Ji

Raag Raamkalee

rom rom raviaa har naam ||

The Lord's Name permeates each and every hair of mine.

~Guru Arjan Dev Ji

Raag Bhairao

nainahu sa(n)g sa(n)than kee saevaa charan jhaaree kaesaaeiou ||

With my eyes I see the Saints, and dedicate myself to serving them; I wash their feet with my hair.

~Guru Arjan Dev Ji

Raag Saarang

rom rom har oucharai khin khin har soee ||

With each and every hair, they chant the Lord's Name, each and every instant, the Lord.

~Guru Amar Daas Ji

Raag Saarang

There you go...Gurbani on the importance of hair!!

Therefore each pore of your being meditates on Waheguru. Taking it off would be one's own spiritual loss. I heard a similar theory in a katha by Gyani Sant Singh Jee Maskeen @ proudtobesikh.com, under Gurbani Viakhia Sahit, entitled Kakaar.

Another thing...I was myself a mona and cleanshaven for ages (lol...I am not even born in a Sikh family...mine are Brahmins...haha)...it was only after I started keeping kesh and daari that I realized what I was missing out. Trust me u will feel totally different once u keep kesh/daari. It brings a new kind of enthusiasm into ur spirit. But then again, if one wants to make 25 million excuses like I used to, there is no end to it.

bhul chuk maaf if anything was offensive (hope not)

hope that helped

Mehtab,

I completely agree. I have experienced similar feelings and experiences since growing my kesh.

akalbir

...it was only after I started keeping kesh and daari that I realized what I was missing out. Trust me u will feel totally different once u keep kesh/daari. It brings a new kind of enthusiasm into ur spirit.

• 2 months later...

well if we see it like this, god made everything. Everything we have in the human in body is wot we have been give, and everything is for a reason....so removing any part of ur body intentionally, wud be like sayin to god, "ok i kno u gave me this, bt i dnt need it "

see ppl define kesh as different things....ppl say that the sanskrit meaning of kesh is hair on the head...ok fine lets jus say that it is that for arguments sake..

if u have no problem with wot u look like, then u wudnt remove the hair??so if ur removing ur hair coz u got problems with the way it makes u look, then that wud suggest u have insecurities...

if society can make u want to change the way u look...then thats surely a sign of weakness....

if someone is gna treat u differently jus because u have facial hair...then that person is not worth knowing or talkin to....

that person is shallow...

for all those girls who think that with more facial hair than others that they aint gna get married...i think u shud realise that, ur lucky in a sense...because if u have faith in guruji, then u shud kno that ur rishta is already planned...

that there is someone that guruji has kept for u....and this person for u...will not be one to comment on ur facial hair...

in my opinion, having good looks is a curse...it generally attracts ppl who are kaami and who concentrate on looks more than spirituality..you girls that arent soo good looking are the luckiest ppl around...for u will get married to a guy who wont care about wot u look like, bt will care about ur sikhi and ur heart...

• 1 month later...

i dont know which shabad it is, i thinks its one of baba fareed ji's , he tells us when changing the body, fashionin it, altering it....... it would be a criminal act..

it shows thats your saying to waheguru that you didnt make me perfect..... so becoz of that you cut your hair and you change the way guru ji made you