Sikhism and Muslim concept of One God... Important

Why is Islam Forum locked? Anyways a 16 yrs old Christain asked me this question. Please discuss how this question be replied...

In terms of religious/spiritual common sense it is pretty clear that God is one - IK ONKAR, but why is it there? The mool mantar is the basic root prayer of Sikhism, so it is crystal clear that this is the foundation of the belief system within Sikhism. Similar to the shahadah in Islam:

There is no God but God himself and Muhammad is his messenger.

The first part enforces the base of Islam, tawheed - strict monotheism, where God has no partners and God is everywhere [this is given more depth with the 99 names of Allah].

So I feel it is the same with Sikhism - the beginning of the mool mantar we see the same monotheism simply promoted, with IK ONKAR, then it goes on to promote the depth of this statement with the rest of this statement. Then Guruji carries this on by talking of the greatness of this ik onkar and how you can find enlightenment with this ik onkar.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

i have thought about this as well...here is what i think...and lemme mention in advance that this is just my way of thinking which can very well be wrong and is open to corrections...also, i apologize before hand if this is offensive...

shahadah : There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger...now break it up and see how it looks like...

There is no God -->> atheism ?

But Allah -->> fanaticism ? as only Allah is the name of God and all others are fake names?

and Muhammad is His messenger -->> thats like claiming God as a property of those who follow Muhammad Sahib...

Now the moolmantar

ikkoangkaar : There is only one God ->> a true fact

satnaam : True is His Name -->> another true fact

karta purkh, nirbhau, nirvair, akaal moorat, ajooni saibhan(g) : the qualities of God, namely creator, fearless, hateless, timeless/deathless, unborn/self-existent

gurprasad : realized thru the Guru

( and for those who follow the complete version, here is more :LOL: )

aad sach jugaad sach : was true in the beginning and has been true always

hai bhi sach : is true even now

nanak hosi bhi sach : will be true eternally in future as well

dunno if i made sense, but u can make ur mind as to which one actually tells u more about God...

bhul chuk maaf

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

shahadah : There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger...now break it up and see how it looks like...

But Allah -->> fanaticism ? as only Allah is the name of God and all others are fake names?

and Muhammad is His messenger -->> thats like claiming God as a property of those who follow Muhammad Sahib...

YOu can't break a sentence and create 2 different meanings out of it. I've asked a muslim regarding the sentence, where it means, There is no god but God. She simply responded with that the word God can become plural and become femanin Gods, Godesses. but the sentence actually prescribes that there is ONLY ONE God and he is Allah. A Fanatical approach to this wiould be that there is no God, but only Allah, hinting that only Muslims have exclusive rights to Allah. Muhammed being his messenger is no different than what Guru Gobind Singh ji says about whatever is written is being spoken by Waheguru/Allah/God himself in the Chaupi Sahib. Muhammed is the messenger, just like any other messiah. We are all the instruments of Allah.

Actually the verse 'La illaha ill-Allaah' is both an affirmation and negation. The Muslim who says this sincerely affirms there is no God but Allaah, and at the same time denying another God other than Him, and this is the only name accepted of Him, as Tawheed has three categories, the second one says the following:

The second aspect of Tawheed al-Asmaa was-Sifaat involves referring to Allaah as He has referred to Himself without giving Him any new names or attributes. For example, Allaah may not be given the name al-Ghaadib (the Angry one), in spite of the fact that He has said that He gets angry, because neither Allaah nor His messenger has used this name. This may seem to be a very fine point, but it must be maintained in order to prevent the false description of God. That is, finite man is in no position to define the infinite Lord of creation.

Therefore, unless you use the word Allaah for God as the Messenger used, it will not be accepted. Furthermore, to accept Tawheed fully, you must affirm the validity of Mohammad being His messenger, without this you can't be Muslim.

Prophet Mohammad also says: The Prophet (S.A.W.) said: "Whoever says La ilaha illa-Allaah sincerely will enter Paradise". ( Reported by Bazzar and declared authentic by Albani in Sahih Al-Jami ). This shows that all Muslims who affirm this at some time WILL enter Paradise sooner or later. Whereas all those who believe in the same God, but using a different name to worship Him (no matter how intense and genuine their devotion) will be thrown into Jahanum (Hell) for eternity.

Sikhi is so rich, that it accepts even their beliefs, but the true essence of Islaam has sadly been lost.

Fateh

This is how i see it........

There is no God but God (meaning there is no more, no less than one), and Muhammad is His messenger.

Allah literary means God in Arabic.

Muhammad is his messenger but it doesnt say last messenger. But lord only knows that answer.

In Islam there are 99 names for God.

http://www.dawateislami.net/general/devotions/99names/

Another word that nearly all of us use is Rabb, this to my surpise is an arabic word.

Rabb - In arabic lexicon the word raab means the one who fulfill the nourishment demand of others. Allah Almighty is a rabb of entire mankind and universe. Other arab linguistic said that raab also mean the one who creat, nourish & develop the thing and take care of it from day one to its final destination.

some thoughts...

the islamic creed states ..and mohammad is his prophet, meaning no other person can bring you closer to God. If you reject mohammad ,you reject God. Allah is´nt a name, its the arabic for God, in the bible God is called Allah as well. This shahada seems more like a response to somethin, as it starts with a negation.