Sikhism - Cleanliness

Hi, I was wondering about the importance of cleanliness in Sikhism. I have alot of Sikh friends, and they never cut their hair, and it can get very dirty at times, especially while eating and such. (food gets into their beard)

I am a Muslim and Islam says to keep your beard the size of a fist, yet since Sikhs don't cut any of their hair at all apparently, the issue of cleanliness comes up.

So this is my question: What is the importance of cleanliness in Sikhism?

firstly id like to welcome u to our site :D

ill try to answer ur question to the best of my ability - and if i miss anything out someone else can fill them in :D

cleanliness if a big part of sikhism - whether it be physical cleanliness or spiritual

now - u say that food gets into a beard... a person who eats does not feed their beard do they?.... they put food in their mouth - yes in some occaisions the beard can catch a bit of food on the way in - but do u think that people just leave the food in there and carry on with their day? course not - there is something called water

now - whether u keep a beard the length of ur fist - or not a beard at all.... there are always chances that u can get food on the side of ur mouth... am i not right??... u either brush it away or u wash your face after - anyway - food is not dirty, i doubt u would put dirty food into ur body , if you can consume food which goes into your body, u think it matters if food catches ur beard?? :?

ok anyway moving on - sikhs have a bath the first thing in the morning - we carry a comb to always keep our hair neat and tidy, the hair is a gift from god - which has many advantages to keep, i dont wanna go too much into why we keep our hair because this post would become very long - if u search thru the forums u will see why

just because u cut ur hair - it doesnt mean that u aint clean - for example muslims "claim" that you have the sunnat because its clean - isnt there such thing as soap and water?..... soemone can have a sunnat and not wash... does this still mean they are clean??

cleanliness is an integril part of sikhi - we must be clean within our hearts and souls aswell as on the outside..... wat use is it of being nice n clean if ur mind is full of bad thoughts - if u have hate against other people.. u can never become one with god - i hope u understand wat im tryin to say

i hope i have been able to answer a few of ur questions

fateh

You have to keep clean it helps the brain function :) try it don;t have a wash for a few days and see what state your mind is in after a few days, have shower and freashen up and you'll seee the difference, (ps:it was long time ago @ uni, i swear)

Sikhi requires a high discpline and that means the in all aspects, the body could be as clean as possible, but the mind still looks at women in lust ...so the mind is what we try to keep clean,through contemplation and practice. :idea:

by the rehit of guru gobind singh ji a sikh MUST wash his hair daily, bathe in the morning and do panj ishnaan (bath) before bed. sikhs are also forbidden from tobacco, meat, etc.

this isnt an attack on islam or anything, but i believe muslims take so called clenliness into ritualism. what is the significance of washing oneself 7 times (i think) in wudu? and why do u have to wash 7 times one of which with soil after touching a wet dog (no jokes)?

it is also unneccesary, in my opinion, to remove all pubic hair, including that around the bottom and armpits. its just an excuse not to wash so often in my opinion.

sorry if i offended anyone, thats just my opinion. i have a wiked dhari and i never get food in it. unless u eat like an animal, food doesnt usually get in your dhari.

for the less well mannered singhs i will give u a step by step guide of eating without messing your dhari:

1. use fork/roti/hand to take food. dont make it too big.

2. open mouth, preferably wide.

3. place food in mouth.

4. close mouth

5. chew.

please remember not to get 2 and 3 mixed up, or you might make a mess....lol

Sat Sri Akal:

Muhammed Sahib, Sikhs are to keep a comb on their person at all times under their turban. This represents a Sikhs committment to keep their hair in clean and maintained form. Yeah, food can get on the beard, but it even gets on the face of those with no facial hair too. We do what they do...make sure our faces are clean after a meal.

i just wanna say i'm disgusted at most of the replies on this topic!... brother muhammad has come onto this site & has merely asked a question on sikhi, but everyone seems to have taken it as an attack & instead of just answering his question straight have proceeded to compare the two religions (with the islamic references being derogatory)

& dont reply & say u havnt!!... steel bangle & khalsa soulja have both done so, when it's completely uncalled for! (of course u've done so with a 'no offence intended' badge added!)

inshallah we can all get on as brothers in the future, without bringing our preconceptions & prejudices into the conversations.

Ohhh!! i am fully agree with the Guv. Muhammad has just asked a simple question and wanted a fair answer. but u guys have replied in wrong spirit .. I am sorry but it is unfortunate. Steel has answred nicely in first post but the second post was unneccessary and should not be posted. Similer the response from Khalsa Soulja and ms514..

I say if anyone don't have the right answer just don't post. but please by reacting this way, don't put a bad image of sikh people. I will urge the admin/mod to comment here. I am sure he will come up with some nice and corrdct response to this query.

man i wud be sorry....but go to www.sikh-history.com....go to sibyas post.....according to her she caught her muslim "friend" on msn and in the chatroom it was saying go on sikhnet and sikh history with fake names dont diss them or give urself away straight away...try n convert ppl etc etc

man i wud be sorry....but go to www.sikh-history.com....go to sibyas post.....according to her she caught her muslim "friend" on msn and in the chatroom it was saying go on sikhnet and sikh history with fake names dont diss them or give urself away straight away...try n convert ppl etc etc

Khalsa soujla everyone is not same... we owe lot to muslims...we gotta enrich history as well bad expereince with em... again there would be no racism in this site towards any group!!...

I thought sikhi is suposed to be tolerant...by lookin at this post... that claim of being "tolerant" looks like a joke...sort it out guys.. you already representing sikhi in negative way!!!

this thread will be observed closely!!

Hi, I was wondering about the importance of cleanliness in Sikhism. I have alot of Sikh friends, and they never cut their hair, and it can get very dirty at times, especially while eating and such. (food gets into their beard)

I am a Muslim and Islam says to keep your beard the size of a fist, yet since Sikhs don't cut any of their hair at all apparently, the issue of cleanliness comes up.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I would disagree with the posts of those offended by some of the replies given. I believe is respecting others and their opinion, but when one states their question in a negative manner to begin with, with subtle underlying derogatory tones, (such as those found in the above quote) then I have a problem with the person asking the question. You could be an atheist, sikh, muslim or whatever else, but if you pose your question in this forum in such a manner, I believe you have no real intention for an answer but rather with an intent to provoke conflict. I am a straight shooter when it comes to such matters, and am not going to sugar coat or state things I do not genuinely believe to be the case.

Just as Muhammad had a question on cleanliness in sikhism, so did some of the Sikh Brothers about Islam and its view on the very same matter. Why then was their questions seen as insults and attacks on Islam whilst those by a Muslim which were written in a more derogatory manner seen different? Think About it. If the moderators had not seen the initial question, in the manner it was written as derogatory, then why were the responses seen as such?

Further, if a Sikhs beard gets "very dirty" when they eat, how would the same dirt not attach itself to a beard that is the size of a fist? Makes no real sense to me. By common logic, shouldn't this scenario be equally applicable to both types of beards?

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

fateh naambiyasi - when i first saw his message i did notice the underlying insult to it - but i replied with all good intentions to answer his questions and not judge him by first impressions, his curiosity could be geniune

and yes i do know i did kinda overstep the mark by stating wat i saw some muslim guy doin - i personally dont see that as a insult, more of an observation, either way i deleted my post to avoid any more arguements

fateh

• 4 weeks later...

Dear All,

Although I am a bit too late responding to dear 'Mohammed' but please let me as I would love to :twisted:

hMMMM Now what does our dear friend .......can i pls tear his post apart

, I was wondering about the importance of cleanliness in Sikhism. I have alot of Sikh friends, and they never cut their hair, and it can get very dirty at times, especially while eating and such. (food gets into their beard)

"Sure dear boy..it can get very dirty while eating and such if you re not careful and especially if you havent had a bath or a tad bit too lazy......

Seems like muslims are too too overobsessed with cleaniliness.of only the body first...it is the sunnat.....and then u shave of all ur hairs while doing the hajj....in fact the exact thing is to pull out each hair painfullly.......yet evrytime u become clean ..during hajj......Allah makes those hair grow on and makes you dirty ....now dint I read it again and again in the Quran that Allah was all knowing...and wise..........

Well If you do belive he was all knowing and wise ....then how dare you Question his decisions about hair...

:-)

Beard the size of ur fist ....or whos fist ?

Well this is what ur hadith says about cleanliness:

"Book 002, Number 0502:

'A'isha reported: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Ten are the acts according to fitra: clipping the moustache, letting the beard grow, using the tooth-stick, snuffing water in the nose, cutting the nails, washing the finger joints, plucking the hair under the armpits, shaving the pubes and cleaning one's private parts with water. The narrator said: I have forgotten the tenth, but it may have been rinsing the mouth."

So follow Islam dear boy and let it grow loose ,,,,,,,,,and trim that moustache ...dont forget to do the other things as suggested above ..or else....

In sikhism cleanliness is stressed to the extent of sanity. In sikhism cleanliness is not limited to just the body but to the mind as well We are supposed to bath everdaybody and hair on the face and head take the name of the God.....do our nitnem ..listen to hymns in his praise ...remember him all day long..

Regarding hair we are to clean them with a comb twice. Tie a turban twice on our head (morning and evening)...

Kindest Regards,

H Singh

-- ----------------------------------------------------

edited by moderator, please refrain from the insults that u used at the end of ur post

One more parting shot ..."sorry I cant resist" hehe

These dirty 'sikhs' were able to defate ur 'ancestors' and they were also able to achive God ..

Anyway I have heard too much from these Muslim Guys trying to lay their dirty hands on our 'izzat' and 'maan' (our sikh gals)......

Oh Mohammed dont wake the Shers of Kalgidhar ...for once they come into form....all of your jehadis...maluansa ...etc. etc. will have their hands full....

Pls read 'Jangnamah' by a Qazi who accompanied ur Ahmed Shah Abdali ......for further details on what we are capable of once we become the true lions of our dear Master.

I am so wicked.. :-) :twisted: (shh..Haume)...