Meaning of 'Today's' Hukamnama

VjkK VjkF

Please could we discuss the meanings of today's hukamnama from Sachkand Sri Darbar Sahib Amritsar.

SHALOK, FIRST MEHL:

The simmal tree is straight as an arrow; it is very tall, and very thick. But those birds which visit it hopefully, depart disappointed. Its fruits are tasteless, its flowers are nauseating, and its leaves are useless. Sweetness and humility, O Nanak, are the essence of virtue and goodness. Everyone bows down to himself; no one bows down to another. When something is placed on the balancing scale and weighed, the side which descends is heavier. The sinner, like the deer hunter, bows down twice as much. But what can be achieved by bowing the head, when the heart is impure? || 1 || FIRST MEHL: You read your books and say your prayers, and then engage in debate; you worship stones and sit like a stork, pretending to be in Samaadhi. With your mouth you utter falsehood, and you adorn yourself with precious decorations; you recite the three lines of the Gayatri three times a day. Around your neck is a rosary, and on your forehead is a sacred mark; upon your head is a turban, and you wear two loin cloths. If you knew the nature of God, you would know that all of these beliefs and rituals are in vain. Says Nanak, meditate with deep faith; without the True Guru, no one finds the Way. || 2 || PAUREE: Abandoning the world of beauty, and beautiful clothes, one must depart. He obtains the rewards of his good and bad deeds. He may issue whatever commands he wishes, but he shall have to take to the narrow path hereafter. He goes to hell naked, and he looks hideous then. He regrets the sins he committed. || 14 ||

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Maharaaj Ang 470

If you see this thread today, (6th December) you can go to the normal Sikhnet hukamnama page to view in Gurmukhi and view the panjabi transalation of the shabad- http://www.sikhnet.com/hukam

If not, then consult the sikhitothemax website- http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Page.asp?Sour...&PageNo=470

The main part I would everyone to focus on is the starting salok about the "simmal tree". Having listened to a number of kathavachaks a long time ago I scarcely remember them refering to this shabad when talking about humility (nimartaa). Specifically, I would like to know the meaning of "nivey sey goaraa hoey".

Also, please note these stanzas form a part of the Sri Asa Dee Vaar.

Ill post more questions about this shabad later, I can t rmember what other things I wanted to ask.

'dhar dharaju toliae nivey so gaura hoe'

This literally means that when scales are weighed it is the side which bows down or descends which is heavier.

The deeper arth of this line is that those who are humble are pooran or complete. They are heavier spiritually than those who are full of ahankar who have been described in part of Gurbani as spiritually 'empty'. Those nimarata wale Gursikh pyare like Akaali Baba Deep Singh Ji Nihang, or Bhai Kanhaiya Ji or Bhai Adhan Shaah Ji, were fulfilled inside and so they were complete. But hankari moorakhs like Aurangzeb, Jahangir and Mir Manuu who were full of hankar, were spiritually empty.

This hukamnama is beautiful and is often used by Sevapanthi mahapurakhs to show what the essence of Sikhi is. The essence of Sikhi is not to fight and create divisions, but to become one with the eternal 'jot' waheguru.

Hope that helps

Bhul chuk maaf

Gurbarakaaaaaaaal!

Dhanaasree mehlaa 5 chhant

Ik-oNkaar satgur parsaad.

satgur deen da-i-aal jis sang har gaavee-ai jee-o.

amrit har kaa naam saaDhsang raavee-ai jee-o.

bhaj sang saaDhoo ik araaDhoo janam maran dukh naas-ay.

Dhur karam likhi-aa saach sikhi-aa katee jam kee faas-ay.

bhai bharam naathay chhutee gaathay jam panth mool na aavee-ai.

binvant naanak Dhaar kirpaa sadaa har gun gaavee-ai. ||1||

niDhri-aa Dhar ayk naam niranjano jee-o.

too daataa daataar sarab dukh bhanjno jee-o.

dukh harat kartaa sukhah su-aamee saran saaDhoo aa-i-aa.

sansaar saagar mahaa bikh-rhaa pal ayk maahi taraa-i-aa.

poor rahi-aa sarab thaa-ee gur gi-aan naytree anjno.

binvant naanak sadaa simree sarab dukh bhai bhanjno. ||2||

aap lee-ay larh laa-ay kirpaa Dhaaree-aa jee-o.

mohi nirgun neech anaath parabh agam aapaaree-aa jee-o.

da-i-aal sadaa kirpaal su-aamee neech thaapanhaari-aa.

jee-a jant sabh vas tayrai sagal tayree saari-aa.

aap kartaa aap bhugtaa aap sagal beechaaree-aa.

binvant naanak gun gaa-ay jeevaa har jap japa-o banvaaree-aa. ||3||

tayraa daras apaar naam amola-ee jee-o.

nit jaapeh tayray daas purakh atola-ee jee-o.

sant rasan voothaa aap toothaa har raseh say-ee maati-aa.

gur charan laagay mahaa bhaagay sadaa an-din jaagi-aa.

sad sadaa simartab-y su-aamee saas saas gun bol-ee.

binvant naanak Dhoor saaDhoo naam parabhoo amola-ee. ||4||1||

English Translation : (courtesy of sgpc!...lol)

DHANAASAREE, FIFTH MEHL, CHHANT:

ONE UNIVERSAL CREATOR GOD. BY THE GRACE OF THE TRUE GURU:

The True Guru is merciful to the meek; in His Presence, the Lord’s Praises are sung. The Ambrosial Name of the Lord is chanted in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. Vibrating, and worshipping the One Lord in the Company of the Holy, the pains of birth and death are removed. Those who have such karma pre-ordained, study and learn the Truth; the noose of Death is removed from their necks. Their fears and doubts are dispelled, the knot of death is untied, and they never have to walk on Death’s path. Prays Nanak, shower me with Your Mercy, Lord; let me sing Your Glorious Praises forever. || 1 || The Name of the One, Immaculate Lord is the Support of the unsupported. You are the Giver, the Great Giver, the Dispeller of all sorrow. O Destroyer of pain, Creator Lord, Master of peace and bliss, I have come seeking the Sanctuary of the Holy; please, help me to cross over the terrifying and difficult world-ocean in an instant. I saw the Lord pervading and permeating everywhere, when the healing ointment of the Guru’s wisdom was applied to my eyes. Prays Nanak, remember Him forever in meditation, the Destroyer of all sorrow and fear. || 2 || He Himself has attached me to the hem of His robe; He has showered me with His Mercy. I am worthless, lowly and helpless; God is unfathomable and infinite. My Lord and Master is always merciful, kind and compassionate; He uplifts and establishes the lowly. All beings and creatures are under Your power; You take care of all. He Himself is the Creator, and He Himself is the Enjoyer; He Himself is the Contemplator of all. Prays Nanak, singing Your Glorious Praises, I live, chanting the Chant of the Lord, the Lord of the world-forest. || 3 || The Blessed Vision of Your Darshan is incomparable; Your Name is utterly priceless. You dwell on the tongues of the Saints, by Your own pleasure; they are intoxicated with Your sublime essence, O Lord. Those who are attached to Your feet are very blessed; night and day, they remain always awake and aware. Forever and ever, meditate in remembrance on the Lord and Master; with each and every breath, speak His Glorious Praises. Prays Nanak, let me become the dust of the feet of the Saints. God’s Name is invaluable. ||4||1 ||

Friday 10th 2004...thats today!

Friday, 27 Maghar (Samvat 536 Nanakshahi) (Page: 691)

Lets get the vichar going!

Gurbarakaaaaaaaal!

Neo Jee I'll try my best to post a Hukamnama at least weekly, if not daily.

Challenge_everything

"The deeper arth of this line is that those who are humble are pooran or complete. They are heavier spiritually than those who are full of ahankar who have been described in part of Gurbani as spiritually 'empty'. Those nimarata wale Gursikh pyare like Akaali Baba Deep Singh Ji Nihang, or Bhai Kanhaiya Ji or Bhai Adhan Shaah Ji, were fulfilled inside and so they were complete. But hankari moorakhs like Aurangzeb, Jahangir and Mir Manuu who were full of hankar, were spiritually empty."

Thats EXCELLENT and wat i was looking for e.g. i dint understand the weighing bit :oops: but ive heard ppl say the 'nivea sey goraa hoey' and dint know wat they meant!!

------

As for todays hukamnama beautiful as usual e.g,

Sant rasan voota, aap toota, har rashe saey matheyaa.

"You dwell on the tongues of the Saints, by Your own pleasure; they are intoxicated with Your sublime essence, O Lord"

Saturday 11th 2004 - The Hukamnama from the King of Kings to the world

bilaaval mehlaa 3 asatpadee ghar 10

ik-oNkaar satgur parsaad.

jag ka-oo-aa mukh chunch gi-aan.

antar lobh jhooth abhimaan.

bin naavai paaj lahag nidaan. ||1||

satgur sayv naam vasai man cheet.

gur bhaytay har naam chaytaavai bin naavai hor jhooth pareet. ||1|| rahaa-o.

gur kahi-aa saa kaar kamaavahu.

sabad cheeneh sahj ghar aavhu.

saachai naa-ay vadaa-ee paavhu. ||2||

aap na boojhai lok bujhaavai.

man kaa anDhaa anDh kamaavai.

dar ghar mahal tha-ur kaisay paavai. ||3||

har jee-o sayvee-ai antarjaamee.

ghat ghat antar jis kee jot samaanee.

tis naal ki-aa chalai pehnaamee. ||4||

saachaa naam saachai sabad jaanai.

aapai aap milai chookai abhimaanai.

gurmukh naam sadaa sadaa vakhaanai. ||5||

satgur sayvi-ai doojee durmat jaa-ee.

a-ugan kaat paapaa mat khaa-ee.

kanchan kaa-i-aa jotee jot samaa-ee. ||6||

satgur mili-ai vadee vadi-aa-ee.

dukh kaatai hirdai naam vasaa-ee.

naam ratay sadaa sukh paa-ee. ||7||

gurmat maani-aa karnee saar.

gurmat maani-aa mokh du-aar.

naanak gurmat maani-aa parvaarai saaDhaar. ||8||1||3||

(the translation according to sgpc teeka!...beware)

BILAAVAL, THIRD MEHL, ASHTAPADEES, TENTH HOUSE:

ONE UNIVERSAL CREATOR GOD. BY THE GRACE OF THE TRUE GURU:

The world is like a crow; with its beak, it croaks spiritual wisdom. But deep within there is greed, falsehood and pride. Without the Name of the Lord, your thin outer covering shall wear off, you fool. || 1 || Serving the True Guru, the Naam shall dwell in your conscious mind. Meeting with the Guru, the Name of the Lord comes to mind. Without the Name, other loves are false. || 1 || Pause || So do that work, which the Guru tells you to do. Contemplating the Word of the Shabad, you shall come to the home of celestial bliss. Through the True Name, you shall obtain glorious greatness. || 2 || One who does not understand his own self, but still tries to instruct others, is mentally blind, and acts in blindness. How can he ever find a home and a place of rest, in the Mansion of the Lord’s Presence? || 3 || Serve the Dear Lord, the Inner-knower, the Searcher of hearts; deep within each and every heart, His Light is shining forth. How can anyone hide anything from Him? || 4 || The True Name is known through the True Word of the Shabad. The Lord Himself meets that one who eradicates egotistical pride. The Gurmukh chants the Naam, forever and ever. || 5 || Serving the True Guru, duality and evil-mindedness are taken away. Guilty mistakes are erased, and the sinful intellect is cleansed. One’s body sparkles like gold, and one’s light merges into the Light. || 6 || Meeting with the True Guru, one is blessed with glorious greatness. Pain is taken away, and the Naam comes to dwell within the heart. Imbued with the Naam, one finds eternal peace. || 7 || Obeying the Guru’s Instructions, one finds the sate of salvation. O Nanak, those who follow the Guru’s Teachings are saved, along with their families. || 8 || 1 || 3 ||

I like the image of the world as a crow....kaw kaw

Gurbarakaaaal

English Translation : Todays Hukamnama - Sunday

BILAAVAL, FOURTH MEHL, SHALOK:

Seek out the Lord God, your only true Friend. He shall dwell in your mind, by great good fortune. The True Guru shall reveal Him to you; O Nanak, lovingly focus yourself on the Lord. || 1 || CHHANT: The soul-bride has come to ravish and enjoy her Lord God, after eradicating the poison of egotism. Following the Guru’s Teachings, she has eliminated her self-conceit; she is lovingly attuned to her Lord, Har, Har. Her heart-lotus deep within has blossomed forth, and through the Guru, spiritual wisdom has been awakened within her. Servant Nanak has found the Lord God, by perfect, great good fortune. || 1 || The Lord, the Lord God, is pleasing to her mind; the Lord’s Name resounds within her. Through the Perfect Guru, God is obtained; she is lovingly focused on the Lord, Har, Har. The darkness of ignorance is dispelled, and the Divine Light radiantly shines forth. The Naam, the Name of the Lord, is Nanak’s only Support; he merges into the Lord’s Name. || 2 || The soul-bride is ravished and enjoyed by her Beloved Lord God, when the Lord God is pleased with her. My eyes are drawn to His Love, like the cat to the mouse. The Perfect Guru has united me with the Lord; I am satisfied by the subtle essence of the Lord. Servant Nanak blossoms forth in the Naam, the Name of the Lord; he is lovingly attuned to the Lord, Har, Har. || 3 || I am a fool and an idiot, but the Lord showered me with His Mercy, and united me with Himself. Blessed, blessed is the most wonderful Guru, who has conquered egotism. Very fortunate, of blessed destiny are those, who enshrine the Lord, Har, Har, in their hearts. O servant Nanak, praise the Naam, and be a sacrifice to the Naam. || 4 || 2 || 4 ||

Waheguru the true eternal friend....vah vah

Monday 13th Hukamnama from Maharaaaj....

raamakalee mehalaa 5 ||

Raamkalee, Fifth Mehl:

eis paanee thae jin thoo ghariaa ||

He created you out of this water.

maattee kaa lae dhaehuraa kariaa ||

From clay, He fashioned your body.

oukath joth lai surath pareekhiaa ||

He blessed you with the light of reason and clear consciousness.

maath garabh mehi jin thoo raakhiaa ||1||

In your mother's womb, He preserved you. ||1||

raakhanehaar samhaar janaa ||

Contemplate your Savior Lord.

sagalae shhodd beechaar manaa ||1|| rehaao ||

Give up all others thoughts, O mind. ||1||Pause||

jin dheeeae thudhh baap mehathaaree ||

He gave you your mother and father;

jin dheeeae bhraath puth haaree ||

he gave you your charming children and siblings;

jin dheeeae thudhh banithaa ar meethaa ||

he gave you your spouse and friends;

this t(h)aakur ko rakh laehu cheethaa ||2||

enshrine that Lord and Master in your consciousness. ||2||

jin dheeaa thudhh pavan amolaa ||

He gave you the invaluable air;

jin dheeaa thudhh neer niramolaa ||

He gave you the priceless water;

jin dheeaa thudhh paavak balanaa ||

He gave you burning fire;

this t(h)aakur kee rahu man saranaa ||3||

let your mind remain in the Sanctuary of that Lord and Master. ||3||

shhatheeh a(n)mrith jin bhojan dheeeae ||

He gave you the thirty-six varieties of tasty foods;

a(n)thar thhaan t(h)eharaavan ko keeeae ||

He gave you a place within to hold them;

basudhhaa dheeou barathan balanaa ||

He gave you the earth, and things to use;

this t(h)aakur kae chith rakh charanaa ||4||

enshrine in your consciousness the feet of that Lord and Master. ||4||

paekhan ko naethr sunan ko karanaa ||

He gave you eyes to see, and ears to hear;

hasath kamaavan baasan rasanaa ||

He gave you hands to work with, and a nose and a tongue;

charan chalan ko sir keeno maeraa ||

He gave you feet to walk upon, and the crowning glory of your head;

man this t(h)aakur kae poojahu pairaa ||5||

O mind, worship the Feet of that Lord and Master. ||5||

apavithr pavithra jin thoo kariaa ||

He transformed you from impure to pure;

sagal jon mehi thoo sir dhhariaa ||

He installed you above the heads of all creatures;

ab thoo seejh bhaavai nehee seejhai ||

now, you may fulfill your destiny or not;

kaaraj savarai man prabh dhhiaaeejai ||6||

Your affairs shall be resolved, O mind, meditating on God. ||6||

eehaa oohaa eaekai ouhee ||

Here and there, only the One God exists.

jath kath dhaekheeai thath thath thohee ||

Wherever I look, there You are.

this saevath man aalas karai ||

My mind is reluctant to serve Him;

jis visariai eik nimakh n sarai ||7||

forgetting Him, I cannot survive, even for an instant. ||7||

ham aparaadhhee niraguneeaarae ||

I am a sinner, without any virtue at all.

naa kishh saevaa naa karamaarae ||

I do not serve You, or do any good deeds.

gur bohithh vaddabhaagee miliaa ||

By great good fortune, I have found the boat - the Guru.

naanak dhaas sa(n)g paathhar thariaa ||8||2||

Slave Nanak has crossed over, with Him. ||8||2||

What can i say....vah vah

Today’s Hukamnama - 14th Tuesday 2004

According to the Fareed-Kotee Teeka, the following Shabad was first recited on the lips of Guru Arjan when Guru Ji’s older brother Prithee Chand sent Sulhi the Pathaan to attack Guru Ji. On hearing that Sulhi had been struck down by the force of God on the way to attack Guru Arjan Dev Ji, Guru Ji sang this Shabad on hearing the news of Sulhi’s demise…

(Fuller meanings of this shabad can be found on page 1476 of the Fareed-kotee teeka.)

ttoddee mehalaa 5 ||

Todee, Fifth Mehl:

ni(n)dhak gur kirapaa thae haattiou ||

The slanderer, by Guru's Grace, has been turned away.

paarabreham prabh bheae dhaeiaalaa siv kai baan sir kaattiou ||1|| rehaao ||

The Supreme Lord God has become merciful; with Shiva's arrow, He shot his head off. ||1||Pause||

kaal jaal jam johi n saakai sach kaa pa(n)thhaa thhaattiou ||

Death, and the noose of death, cannot see me; I have adopted the Path of Truth.

khaath kharachath kishh nikhuttath naahee raam rathan dhhan khaattiou ||1||

I have earned the wealth, the jewel of the Lord's Name; eating and spending, it is never used up. ||1||

bhasamaa bhooth hoaa khin bheethar apanaa keeaa paaeiaa ||

In an instant, the slanderer was reduced to ashes; he received the rewards of his own actions.

aagam nigam kehai jan naanak sabh dhaekhai lok sabaaeiaa ||2||6||11||

Servant Nanak speaks the truth of the scriptures; the whole world is witness to it. ||2||6||11||

Gurbarakaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!!!!

jaithasaree baanee bhagathaa kee

Jaitsree, The Word Of The Devotees:

ik oa(n)kaar sathigur prasaadh ||

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

naathh kashhooa n jaano ||

O my Lord and Master, I know nothing.

man maaeiaa kai haathh bikaano ||1|| rehaao ||

My mind has sold out, and is in Maya's hands. ||1||Pause||

thum keheeath ha jagath gur suaamee ||

You are called the Lord and Master, the Guru of the World.

ham keheeath kalijug kae kaamee ||1||

I am called a lustful being of the Dark Age of Kali Yuga. ||1||

ein pa(n)chan maero man j bigaariou ||

The five vices have corrupted my mind.

pal pal har jee thae a(n)thar paariou ||2||

Moment by moment, they lead me further away from the Lord. ||2||

jath dhaekho thath dhukh kee raasee ||

Wherever I look, I see loads of pain and suffering.

ajaa(n) n pathyaae nigam bheae saakhee ||3||

I do not have faith, even though the Vedas bear witness to the Lord. ||3||

gotham naar oumaapath svaamee || sees dhharan sehas bhag gaa(n)mee ||4||

Shiva cut off Brahma's head, and Gautam's wife and the Lord Indra mated; Brahma's head got stuck to Shiva's hand, and Indra came to bear the marks of a thousand female organs. ||4||

ein dhoothan khal badhh kar maariou ||

These demons have fooled, bound and destroyed me.

baddo nilaaj ajehoo nehee haariou ||5||

I am very shameless - even now, I am not tired of them. ||5||

kehi ravidhaas kehaa kaisae keejai ||

Says Ravi Daas, what am I to do now?

bin raghunaathh saran kaa kee leejai ||6||1||

Without the Sanctuary of the Lord's Protection, who else's should I seek? ||6||1||

Vah Ji Vah Dhan Dhan Bhagat Ravidass

Vah Vah...the proclamation of truth by Satguru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaaj Gareeb Nivaaj.........

(Thursday 16th)

thila(n)g mehalaa 1 ||

Tilang, First Mehl:

jaisee mai aavai khasam kee baanee thaisarraa karee giaan vae laalo ||

As the Word of the Forgiving Lord comes to me, so do I express it, O Lalo.

paap kee ja(n)n(j) lai kaabalahu dhhaaeiaa joree ma(n)gai dhaan vae laalo ||

Bringing the marriage party of sin, Babar has invaded from Kaabul, demanding our land as his wedding gift, O Lalo.

saram dhharam dhue shhap khaloeae koorr firai paradhhaan vae laalo ||

Modesty and righteousness both have vanished, and falsehood struts around like a leader, O Lalo.

kaajeeaa baamanaa kee gal thhakee agadh parrai saithaan vae laalo ||

The Qazis and the Brahmins have lost their roles, and Satan now conducts the marriage rites, O Lalo.

musalamaaneeaa parrehi kathaebaa kasatt mehi karehi khudhaae vae laalo ||

The Muslim women read the Koran, and in their misery, they call upon God, O Lalo.

jaath sanaathee hor hidhavaaneeaa eaehi bhee laekhai laae vae laalo ||

The Hindu women of high social status, and others of lowly status as well, are put into the same category, O Lalo.

khoon kae sohilae gaaveeahi naanak rath kaa ku(n)goo paae vae laalo ||1||

The wedding songs of murder are sung, O Nanak, and blood is sprinkled instead of saffron, O Lalo. ||1||

saahib kae gun naanak gaavai maas puree vich aakh masolaa ||

Nanak sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord and Master in the city of corpses, and voices this account.

jin oupaaee ra(n)g ravaaee bait(h)aa vaekhai vakh eikaelaa ||

The One who created, and attached the mortals to pleasures, sits alone, and watches this.

sachaa so saahib sach thapaavas sacharraa niaao karaeg masolaa ||

The Lord and Master is True, and True is His justice. He issues His Commands according to His judgement.

kaaeiaa kaparr ttuk ttuk hosee hidhusathaan samaalasee bolaa ||

The body-fabric will be torn apart into shreds, and then India will remember these words.

aavan at(h)atharai jaan sathaanavai hor bhee out(h)asee maradh kaa chaelaa ||

Coming in seventy-eight (1521 A.D.), they will depart in ninety-seven (1540 A.D.), and then another disciple of man will rise up.

sach kee baanee naanak aakhai sach sunaaeisee sach kee baelaa ||2||3||5||

Nanak speaks the Word of Truth; he proclaims the Truth at this, the right time. ||2||3||5||

(Friday 17th).....kick the ass of those nindaks!

dhhanaasaree mehalaa 5 ||

Dhanaasaree, Fifth Mehl:

har har leenae sa(n)th oubaar ||

The Lord saves His Saints.

har kae dhaas kee chithavai buriaaee this hee ko fir maar ||1|| rehaao ||

One who wishes misfortune upon the Lord's slaves, shall be destroyed by the Lord eventually. ||1||Pause||

jan kaa aap sehaaee hoaa ni(n)dhak bhaagae haar ||

He Himself is the help and support of His humble servants; He defeats the slanderers, and chases them away.

bhramath bhramath oohaa(n) hee mooeae baahurr grihi n ma(n)jhaar ||1||

Wandering around aimlessly, they die out there; they never return to their homes again. ||1||

naanak saran pariou dhukh bha(n)jan gun gaavai sadhaa apaar ||

Nanak seeks the Sanctuary of the Destroyer of pain; he sings the Glorious Praises of the infinite Lord forever.

ni(n)dhak kaa mukh kaalaa hoaa dheen dhuneeaa kai dharabaar ||2||15||

The faces of the slanderers are blackened in the courts of this world, and the world beyond. ||2||15||

Vah ji vah....come all you gursikh pyaras let me see you and do ure darshan...vah ji vah!!!

thila(n)g mehalaa 4 ||

Tilang, Fourth Mehl:

har keeaa kathhaa kehaaneeaa gur meeth sunaaeeaa ||

The Guru, my friend, has told me the stories and the sermon of the Lord.

balihaaree gur aapanae gur ko bal jaaeeaa ||1||

I am a sacrifice to my Guru; to the Guru, I am a sacrifice. ||1||

aae mil gurasikh aae mil thoo maerae guroo kae piaarae || rehaao ||

Come, join with me, O Sikh of the Guru, come and join with me. You are my Guru's Beloved. ||Pause||

har kae gun har bhaavadhae sae guroo thae paaeae ||

The Glorious Praises of the Lord are pleasing to the Lord; I have obtained them from the Guru.

jin gur kaa bhaanaa ma(n)niaa thin ghum ghum jaaeae ||2||

I am a sacrifice, a sacrifice to those who surrender to, and obey the Guru's Will. ||2||

jin sathigur piaaraa dhaekhiaa thin ko ho vaaree ||

I am dedicated and devoted to those who gaze upon the Beloved True Guru.

jin gur kee keethee chaakaree thin sadh balihaaree ||3||

I am forever a sacrifice to those who perform service for the Guru. ||3||

har har thaeraa naam hai dhukh maettanehaaraa ||

Your Name, O Lord, Har, Har, is the Destroyer of sorrow.

gur saevaa thae paaeeai guramukh nisathaaraa ||4||

Serving the Guru, it is obtained, and as Gurmukh, one is emancipated. ||4||

jo har naam dhhiaaeidhae thae jan paravaanaa ||

Those humble beings who meditate on the Lord's Name, are celebrated and acclaimed.

thin vittahu naanak vaariaa sadhaa sadhaa kurabaanaa ||5||

Nanak is a sacrifice to them, forever and ever a devoted sacrifice. ||5||

saa har thaeree ousathath hai jo har prabh bhaavai ||

O Lord, that alone is Praise to You, which is pleasing to Your Will, O Lord God.

jo guramukh piaaraa saevadhae thin har fal paavai ||6||

Those Gurmukhs, who serve their Beloved Lord, obtain Him as their reward. ||6||

jinaa har saethee pireharree thinaa jeea prabh naalae ||

Those who cherish love for the Lord, their souls are always with God.

oue jap jap piaaraa jeevadhae har naam samaalae ||7||

Chanting and meditating on their Beloved, they live in, and gather in, the Lord's Name. ||7||

jin guramukh piaaraa saeviaa thin ko ghum jaaeiaa ||

I am a sacrifice to those Gurmukhs who serve their Beloved Lord.

oue aap shhuttae paravaar sio sabh jagath shhaddaaeiaa ||8||

They themselves are saved, along with their families, and through them, all the world is saved. ||8||

gur piaarai har saeviaa gur dhha(n)n gur dhha(n)no ||

My Beloved Guru serves the Lord. Blessed is the Guru, Blessed is the Guru.

gur har maarag dhasiaa gur pu(n)n vadd pu(n)no ||9||

The Guru has shown me the Lord's Path; the Guru has done the greatest good deed. ||9||

jo gurasikh gur saevadhae sae pu(n)n paraanee ||

Those Sikhs of the Guru, who serve the Guru, are the most blessed beings.

jan naanak thin ko vaariaa sadhaa sadhaa kurabaanee ||10||

Servant Nanak is a sacrifice to them; He is forever and ever a sacrifice. ||10||

guramukh sakhee sehaeleeaa sae aap har bhaaeeaa ||

The Lord Himself is pleased with the Gurmukhs, the fellowship of the companions.

har dharageh painaaeeaa har aap gal laaeeaa ||11||

In the Lord's Court, they are given robes of honor, and the Lord Himself hugs them close in His embrace. ||11||

jo guramukh naam dhhiaaeidhae thin dharasan dheejai ||

Please bless me with the Blessed Vision of the Darshan of those Gurmukhs, who meditate on the Naam, the Name of the Lord.

ham thin kae charan pakhaaladhae dhhoorr ghol ghol peejai ||12||

I wash their feet, and drink in the dust of their feet, dissolved in the wash water. ||12||

paan supaaree khaatheeaa mukh beerreeaa laaeeaa ||

Those who eat betel nuts and betel leaf and apply lipstick,

har har kadhae n chaethiou jam pakarr chalaaeeaa ||13||

but do not contemplate the Lord, Har, Har - the Messenger of Death will seize them and take them away. ||13||

jin har naamaa har chaethiaa hiradhai our dhhaarae || thin jam naerr n aavee gurasikh gur piaarae ||14||

The Messenger of Death does not even approach those who contemplate the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, and keep Him enshrined in their hearts. The Guru's Sikhs are the Guru's Beloveds. ||14||

har kaa naam nidhhaan hai koee guramukh jaanai ||

The Name of the Lord is a treasure, known only to the few Gurmukhs.

naanak jin sathigur bhaettiaa ra(n)g raleeaa maanai ||15||

O Nanak, those who meet with the True Guru, enjoy peace and pleasure. ||15||

sathigur dhaathaa aakheeai thus karae pasaaou ||

The True Guru is called the Giver; in His Mercy, He grants His Grace.

ho gur vittahu sadh vaariaa jin dhitharraa naaou ||16||

I am forever a sacrifice to the Guru, who has blessed me with the Lord's Name. ||16||

so dhha(n)n guroo saabaas hai har dhaee sanaehaa ||

Blessed, very blessed is the Guru, who brings the Lord's message.

ho vaekh vaekh guroo vigasiaa gur sathigur dhaehaa ||17||

I gaze upon the Guru, the Guru, the True Guru embodied, and I blossom forth in bliss. ||17||

gur rasanaa a(n)mrith boladhee har naam suhaavee ||

The Guru's tongue recites Words of Ambrosial Nectar; He is adorned with the Lord's Name.

jin sun sikhaa gur ma(n)niaa thinaa bhukh sabh jaavee ||18||

Those Sikhs who hear and obey the Guru - all their desires depart. ||18||

har kaa maarag aakheeai kahu kith bidhh jaaeeai ||

Some speak of the Lord's Path; tell me, how can I walk on it?

har har thaeraa naam hai har kharach lai jaaeeai ||19||

O Lord, Har, Har, Your Name is my supplies; I will take it with me and set out. ||19||

jin guramukh har aaraadhhiaa sae saah vadd dhaanae ||

Those Gurmukhs who worship and adore the Lord, are wealthy and very wise.

ho sathigur ko sadh vaariaa gur bachan samaanae ||20||

I am forever a sacrifice to the True Guru; I am absorbed in the Words of the Guru's Teachings. ||20||

thoo t(h)aakur thoo saahibo thoohai maeraa meeraa ||

You are the Master, my Lord and Master; You are my Ruler and King.

thudhh bhaavai thaeree ba(n)dhagee thoo gunee geheeraa ||21||

If it is pleasing to Your Will, then I worship and serve You; You are the treasure of virtue. ||21||

aapae har eik ra(n)g hai aapae bahu ra(n)gee ||

The Lord Himself is absolute; He is The One and Only; but He Himself is also manifested in many forms.

jo this bhaavai naanakaa saaee gal cha(n)gee ||22||2||

Whatever pleases Him, O Nanak, that alone is good. ||22||2||

aaa jaaao gursikh pyario....vah vah

vaddeha(n)s mehalaa 1 ||

Wadahans, First Mehl:

baabaa aaeiaa hai out(h) chalanaa eihu jag jhoot(h) pasaarovaa ||

O Baba, whoever has come, will rise up and leave; this world is merely a false show.

sachaa ghar sacharrai saeveeai sach kharaa sachiaarovaa ||

One's true home is obtained by serving the True Lord; real Truth is obtained by being truthful.

koorr lab jaa(n) thhaae n paasee agai lehai n t(h)aaou ||

By falsehood and greed, no place of rest is found, and no place in the world hereafter is obtained.

a(n)thar aao n baisahu keheeai jio su(n)n(j)ai ghar kaaou ||

No one invites him to come in and sit down. He is like a crow in a deserted home.

ja(n)man maran vaddaa vaeshhorraa binasai jag sabaaeae ||

Trapped by birth and death, he is separated from the Lord for such a long time; the whole world is wasting away.

lab dhha(n)dhhai maaeiaa jagath bhulaaeiaa kaal kharraa rooaaeae ||1||

Greed, worldly entanglements and Maya deceive the world. Death hovers over its head, and causes it to weep. ||1||

baabaa aavahu bhaaeeho gal mileh mil mil dhaeh aaseesaa hae ||

Come, O Baba, and Siblings of Destiny - let's join together; take me in your arms, and bless me with your prayers.

baabaa sacharraa mael n chukee preetham keeaa dhaeh aseesaa hae ||

O Baba, union with the True Lord cannot be broken; bless me with your prayers for union with my Beloved.

aaseesaa dhaeveho bhagath karaeveho miliaa kaa kiaa maelo ||

Bless me with your prayers, that I may perform devotional worship service to my Lord; for those already united with Him, what is there to unite?

eik bhoolae naavahu thhaehahu thhaavahu gur sabadhee sach khaelo ||

Some have wandered away from the Name of the Lord, and lost the Path. The Word of the Guru's Shabad is the true game.

jam maarag nehee jaanaa sabadh samaanaa jug jug saachai vaesae ||

Do not go on Death's path; remain merged in the Word of the Shabad, the true form throughout the ages.

saajan sain milahu sa(n)jogee gur mil kholae faasae ||2||

Through good fortune, we meet such friends and relatives, who meet with the Guru, and escape the noose of Death. ||2||

baabaa naa(n)garraa aaeiaa jag mehi dhukh sukh laekh likhaaeiaa ||

O Baba, we come into the world naked, into pain and pleasure, according to the record of our account.

likhiarraa saahaa naa ttalai jaeharraa purab kamaaeiaa ||

The call of our pre-ordained destiny cannot be altered; it follows from our past actions.

behi saachai likhiaa a(n)mrith bikhiaa jith laaeiaa thith laagaa ||

The True Lord sits and writes of ambrosial nectar, and bitter poison; as the Lord attaches us, so are we attached.

kaamaniaaree kaaman paaeae bahu ra(n)gee gal thaagaa ||

The Charmer, Maya, has worked her charms, and the multi-colored thread is around everyone's neck.

hoshhee math bhaeiaa man hoshhaa gurr saa makhee khaaeiaa ||

Through shallow intellect, the mind becomes shallow, and one eats the fly, along with the sweets.

naa marajaadh aaeiaa kal bheethar naa(n)go ba(n)dhh chalaaeiaa ||3||

Contrary to custom, he comes into the Dark Age of Kali Yuga naked, and naked he is bound down and sent away again. ||3||

baabaa rovahu jae kisai rovanaa jaaneearraa ba(n)dhh pat(h)aaeiaa hai ||

O Baba, weep and mourn if you must; the beloved soul is bound and driven off.

likhiarraa laekh n maetteeai dhar haakaararraa aaeiaa hai ||

The pre-ordained record of destiny cannot be erased; the summons has come from the Lord's Court.

haakaaraa aaeiaa jaa this bhaaeiaa ru(n)nae rovanehaarae ||

The messenger comes, when it pleases the Lord, and the mourners begin to mourn.

puth bhaaee bhaatheejae rovehi preetham ath piaarae ||

Sons, brothers, nephews and very dear friends weep and wail.

bhai rovai gun saar samaalae ko marai n mueiaa naalae ||

Let him weep, who weeps in the Fear of God, cherishing the virtues of God. No one dies with the dead.

naanak jug jug jaan sijaanaa rovehi sach samaalae ||4||5||

O Nanak, throughout the ages, they are known as wise, who weep, remembering the True Lord. ||4||5||