Physical Stature of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj

karmjeet

Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji maharaj Tuhi Nirankar

One day a person asked Baba Ishar Singh Ji Nanaksar wale : How did Guru Gobind Singh Ji look like ?

Baba ji said :

1) His kad was darmyana.( height was neither too small nor too high)

2)His raftaar was fast ( used to walk fast )

3)His guftgaar was fast ( used to talk fast )

4) His colour was kanakbhanna( his complexion was neither too gora nor too dark )

( as told by Baba Ishar Singh Ji Maharaj Nanaksar wale to a sangee)

Vaheguru je ka khalsa, vaheguru je ke fateh!!

there a picture an artist drew of guru je according to sant baba gurbachan singh je khalsa bhindranwale

after looking at the finished picture

sant je said this is 90 percent correct

this picture is kept at hazoor sahib till this very day

bhula chuka maf

Vaheguru je ka khalsa, vaheguru je ke fateh!!

I see Guruji in Neela "blue" all pictures see Guru ji with a Hawk, Chakra's, Farla,kamarkasa and various weapons, the above picture is nice but if you look at his sword its a modern english style handle, which suggests this isn't done not too long ago and a nice tied up beard :)

Either way all pictures over time change and are different as each artist will see Guru Ji in a diiferent light.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=Guru%2...lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

end of the day Guru Ji had the most awesome impact on the world, you may not know your great grandfathers name, but Guru Gobind Singhs name you have knowen for ages.

If you want to see Guru Ji read his banis, Guru Dasam/Sarbloh Granth then read about the khalsa of the old.

• 3 months later...

heard/read somewhere quite a while ago a sakhi telling how guru gobind singh ji's arms were very long... & how his hands could touch his knees when standing straight. i can't remember the source. anyone else remember anything similar?

• 11 months later...

heard/read somewhere quite a while ago a sakhi telling how guru gobind singh ji's arms were very long... & how his hands could touch his knees when standing straight. i can't remember the source. anyone else remember anything similar?

This is a saakhi from Bhai veer singh ji's "Kalgidhar Chamatkaar"

and this saakhi is when Guru sahib ji was in shehar paawnta(now paunta sahib). There was an old man in shiwalik mountains of himachal who waited for many yrs for guru ji to come to his hut and he had ben given a description by his teacher tht Guru had long arms, so wen guru sahib went to fulfil his wishes he recognized Guru ji by long arms. dont remember the name of the saakhi

There is what is claimed to be an actual picture done when Guru Gobind Singh Ji was visiting one of the hill rajas. It is displayed every now and then. I saw it at the posh new building (study centre ?) that has gone up in the grounds of Gurdwara Rakab Ganj.

From what I recall that picture posted above looks nothing like image that was on display. The dastaar is way off the mark and the face was more rounded than shown in the above painting.

I posted this pic in 2004

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...opic.php?t=5557

- caused a few ripples as some thought it was 'ugly' - I'll post it again and see what you think !

The picture comes from 'The Sikh Heritage - a search for totality'

by Dr Daljeet. 2004 Prakash Book Depot.

It's on page 126, the description states:

" A portrait of Guru Gobind Singh Mandi, Pahari, end of 17th century, Paper, 20x18 cm, Acc. no:71.93

Collection: National Museum, New Delhi.

This portrait seems to have been rendered in 1690's when Guru Gobind Singh visited Mandi and was in all probabilities a personal guest of Raja Siddhasen. As such it amounts to its rare historicity. Its Takri inscription - Guru Gobind Singh, too is a special feature. "

dashmeshmandi4cd.jpg

Talking of Pahari paintings - this is my favourite pahari painting of Guru Gobind Singh Ji - painted circa 1780-1800 it is in the Govt. Museum Chandigarh.

If you compare it with the 'Mandi' portrait you will notice that the Dastar and Kalgi style and Guru Sahib's Jama (attire) are quite similar.

Notice how the the Kalgi is black - usually Heron or Egret feathers , traditionally only worn by Royalty of the highest order - the black feathers are rare as only the very tips of the wings are black. Nowadays these birds are protected and the feathers are even rarer, Modern paintings always show Guru Sahib with a White Kalgi.

Enjoy !

paharidashmesh8nz.jpg

* taken from Khalsa Panth - Raghu Rai, Khushwant Singh (Punjabi version) 1984 pg 6

I still think that picture looks bad, and cannot be a correct depiction of Guru Gobind Singh Jee. There is no way Guru Gobind Singh Jee looked like that. Even though I like Pahari paintings, but in this case, I definitely prefer modern pictures of Guru Gobind Singh Jee to the Pahari ones.

Stop Singh Jee, do you honestly think that Guru Gobind Singh Jee looked like that Pahari picture from Mandi?

As for the second painting with Guru Jee on a horse I also have doubts about that one, although it is a far better painting than the Mandi one. Firstly, in that picture Guru Jee is shown wearing green, but green (and red) is a colour that a Sikh would traditionally never wear. Secondly, take a look at that horse. That horse looks like a black & white cow. Guru Jee’s blessed horse was known to be blue and it must have been muscular instead of overweight like in that picture. Go to India, and you’ll notice Tangawala horses being in better shape and size then that horse.

Just because Pahari paintings are old does not mean they are automatically the 'true' depictions of Guru Gobind Singh Jee. They are merely the artists imagination.

Singh47 do you honestly think that Guru Gobind Singh Ji looked like those pop art Sobha Singh images ?

I suggest you look back at the evolution of the horse. Start by looking at race horses from the early 20th century and compare them with race horses of today. There is a very noticable difference in the physical stature of horses.

Do you think Guru Gobind Singh Ji only had one horse and went every where on that ? Horses do get tired and I have heard that Guru Hargobind Ji used to keep many horses at different locations so when travelling Guru Ji could swap to a fresh horse.

I would rather trust artists impressions based on seeing Guru Gobind Singh Ji than images based just on imagination. The first pahari picture posted is said to have been done when Guru Gobind Singh Ji visited the court of one of the hill rajas. I would rather trust that as a true depiction of Guru Gobind Singh Ji than something Sobha Singh made up.

In Sikher Bhai Sahib's post he says that he sees Guru Sahib with Tall Dastar , Farla and Chakars - I have also wondered why you dont see any depictions like that - many sources ( I'll dig them out ) do say that Guru Sahib wore a Tall Dastar / Dumalla - but most , especially modern depictions show Guru Sahib with a small 'conical' type dastar with a farla like draping from the top.

The only depiction with Tall Dastar and Farla I have found is this one - from Spirit Born Magazine. Apologies for the quality it was printed in black & white and is quite small. It looks like a modern depction - but you can't really tell - I say modern purely because it bears a strong resemblence to the Sobha Singh painting re: Pose , beard style etc.

Post your views !

* taken from 'Spirit Born - National Sikh Magazine' Vaisakhi 1999 (Editor- Jatinder Singh) Page 10

farla118tp.png

Detail

farla218ca.png

Here is another of my favourites - Guru sahib is wearing the Heron / Egret black Kalgi - and the turban style is more of a recognisable dumalla style.

1699khalsa2wq.jpg

Now thats more like it,preferance at the end of the day.

When come to think of the old "I'm am in the khalsa" line, shows that we actually are Guru Gobind Singhs "roop" image, man of a millions of faces,clothes and shapes and sizes, either way, we all have a part of Guru Gobind Singh in us :)