Singh Ur Massive!

ghost

Well, I would just advise you to eat a lot. In order to gain mass, you have to eat a lot. Essentially more calories than your body burns, yes you will gain some fat, but that is part of it. Also you must eat quality food, don't eat junk food to meet your calorie requirement. Eat a lot of protein, there are a lot alternatives to meat: tofu, eggs, etc.. I would also recommend getting some whey protein (have two shakes a day). It is suggested that you should consume about 1g of protein per pound of body weight. I don't consume that much protein, cause i find it hard to take in that much, but I get about .7g per pound.

When it comes to lifting, lift heavy, and split up your routines. Like do Chest and shoulders one day, arms and back, and then legs. Working out three days a week is enough, give you body enough time to recuperate. Um, compound movements work best for building muscle. Some of the best compound exercises you can do: bench press, squat, and dead lift. That is just a very general overview; I suggest you check out www.bodybuilding.com for more info.

Ask if you need more info. Just read up to make sure you are doing the right thing.

Ghost!!

bro, its all about changing ure life-style a bit to get the best out of training...to get the best out of ure body u gotta train (20%), eat (40%) and recuperate(40%)...

Training, like infernal monk says, its all about the 3 majot mass-building lifts, bench, squat, deadlift...people complain they don't get big, but thats probably because they don't squat and deadlift!!

if ure beggining keep to the basics , keep to mass building (not that pansy shaping - can be done latter!), low number of sets (3) per exercise and low reps (8, 6, 4, although on the last exercise u should try and for about 10-8 because its more of a pump exercise, make sure u keep to perfect technique, only using creative cheating when ure using ure heaviest load)..u can set up ure own routine, i.e mon:chest, tues:back + shoulders, weds: rest, thurs: legs, fri: bicep and tricep. try to finish ure workout in 45-60 minutes.so:

*** 5 min cardio to warm ure body first!!

1)chest: flat bench press, incline bench press, leaning forward dips, flat bench flyes.

2)back: deadlift, barbell rows, chin-ups (or lat pulldown), close-grip cable rows.

3)legs: squats, leg press machine, hack squat machine (or hamstring curls), leg extensions.

4)shoulders: standing shoulder press/ behind the neck barbell press (free-weight or smith machine), side laterals, dumbells shrugs.

5)biceps: barbell curls, preacher curls, concentration curls.

6)triceps: close-grip press (with barbell on the flat bench), skull crushers, dips (not leaning forward so as to keep all stress on triceps not chest)

eating and nutrition: feeding ure muscles:: eat six times a day, small meals, spaced out every 3 hours, eat good carbs (no sugar etc, eat rice, potato, yams), get in as much protein (defo use protein shakes, tofu, soya, quorn, kidney beans, lentils, cottage cheese) as possible and eat healthy fats and 1 multi-vitamin a day

i.e

so 9am: oatmeal, 2 slice of toast, banana, protein shake, multi-vitamin, flax-seed oil

12pm: meal, i.e rice and soya/tofu/kidney beans etc.

3 pm: meal i.e: 2 quorn burgers and a fruit.

6pm: protein shake in milk (1 pint) and fruit

7.30 start gym session,

8.30 finish

9pm: meal, jack potato with quite a bit of cottage cheese, vegetables

12pm: protein in milk (1 pint)

rest: try get 7-8 hour sleep all the time, this is the most important time!! this is when ure muscles are resting and growing!!

cardio: keep it to a minimum when ure adding mass, all ure calories need to be expended on weight-training, but try do 1-2 cardio sessions a week, no longer then 15 minutes..

sorry for the long post!!

i just want the whole sikh sangat 2 get MASSIVE!! and to also, i should take heed of mine own advice, to do a martial art and simran/seva: ..theres no point having strength and power if it cant be utilised correctly and the spirituality to balance out the anger and ego produced by the increase in testerone levels in ure body!!!

Gurfateh ji!!!!!

Ghost!!

bro, its all about changing ure life-style a bit to get the best out of training...to get the best out of ure body u gotta train (20%), eat (40%) and recuperate(40%)...

Training, like infernal monk says, its all about the 3 majot mass-building lifts, bench, squat, deadlift...people complain they don't get big, but thats probably because they don't squat and deadlift!!

if ure beggining keep to the basics , keep to mass building (not that pansy shaping - can be done latter!), low number of sets (3) per exercise and low reps (8, 6, 4, although on the last exercise u should try and for about 10-8 because its more of a pump exercise, make sure u keep to perfect technique, only using creative cheating when ure using ure heaviest load)..u can set up ure own routine, i.e mon:chest, tues:back + shoulders, weds: rest, thurs: legs, fri: bicep and tricep. try to finish ure workout in 45-60 minutes.so:

*** 5 min cardio to warm ure body first!!

1)chest: flat bench press, incline bench press, leaning forward dips, flat bench flyes.

2)back: deadlift, barbell rows, chin-ups (or lat pulldown), close-grip cable rows.

3)legs: squats, leg press machine, hack squat machine (or hamstring curls), leg extensions.

4)shoulders: standing shoulder press/ behind the neck barbell press (free-weight or smith machine), side laterals, dumbells shrugs.

5)biceps: barbell curls, preacher curls, concentration curls.

6)triceps: close-grip press (with barbell on the flat bench), skull crushers, dips (not leaning forward so as to keep all stress on triceps not chest)

eating and nutrition: feeding ure muscles:: eat six times a day, small meals, spaced out every 3 hours, eat good carbs (no sugar etc, eat rice, potato, yams), get in as much protein (defo use protein shakes, tofu, soya, quorn, kidney beans, lentils, cottage cheese) as possible and eat healthy fats and 1 multi-vitamin a day

i.e

so 9am: oatmeal, 2 slice of toast, banana, protein shake, multi-vitamin, flax-seed oil

12pm: meal, i.e rice and soya/tofu/kidney beans etc.

3 pm: meal i.e: 2 quorn burgers and a fruit.

6pm: protein shake in milk (1 pint) and fruit

7.30 start gym session,

8.30 finish

9pm: meal, jack potato with quite a bit of cottage cheese, vegetables

12pm: protein in milk (1 pint)

rest: try get 7-8 hour sleep all the time, this is the most important time!! this is when ure muscles are resting and growing!!

cardio: keep it to a minimum when ure adding mass, all ure calories need to be expended on weight-training, but try do 1-2 cardio sessions a week, no longer then 15 minutes..

sorry for the long post!!

i just want the whole sikh sangat 2 get MASSIVE!! and to also, i should take heed of mine own advice, to do a martial art and simran/seva: ..theres no point having strength and power if it cant be utilised correctly and the spirituality to balance out the anger and ego produced by the increase in testerone levels in ure body!!!

Gurfateh ji!!!!!

Yeah, great advice bro. I agree with everything you said, especially with keeping cardio low, and eating more often( 6 meals good cause keeps your body from going to starvation mode). Oh and I totally agree that 80% of your resutls are based on diet and rest...good post man.

btw..ghost, I should say that it is quite impossible to cut and bulk at the same time, unless you are a beginner, in which case putting on muscle is qutie easy, or you have perfect genetics..lol. I plan on doing bulking and cutting sessions. Right now I'm cutting for 12 weeks, need to get to <10% body fat..so we'll see how that works, then I'm back to bulking up cause I'm quite weak...lol.

ghost!!

its true, my legs got toooo big from squatting, i think my pent was gonna rip when bowed down infront of Guru Granth Sahib ji, only train legs once every 3 weeks now....but by the looks of it u need to get back into ure hockey bro!! that tids commin out!!

infernal monk!! i love talkin bout training, such a wicked feelin!! wish every gurudwara has gym, its the one thing that unites all the singhs: training and football!! geezer, 10 % body-fat is low, u remind me of a friend of mine, he's also cutting, gets up in the morning for a 5 mile jog, the guys absoloutely ripped now!!

i myself cant train properly at the moment, jus too much stress wid uni work, cant wait till the summer, i'll have no worries and can train properly!!

That'l be so wickd if every gurudwara has a gym!!

if they made astroturf pitches as well.. it would be heaven!!..

but i aint dreaming.. this is really gona happen!!

It only takes ONE gurudwara!!.. and all the rest will soon follow suit!

I bought this big blue ball...so im gona start doing cardio stuff with it... and playing footy with it too!!

ghost!!

its true, my legs got toooo big from squatting, i think my pent was gonna rip when bowed down infront of Guru Granth Sahib ji, only train legs once every 3 weeks now....but by the looks of it u need to get back into ure hockey bro!! that tids commin out!!

infernal monk!! i love talkin bout training, such a wicked feelin!! wish every gurudwara has gym, its the one thing that unites all the singhs: training and football!! geezer, 10 % body-fat is low, u remind me of a friend of mine, he's also cutting, gets up in the morning for a 5 mile jog, the guys absoloutely ripped now!!

i myself cant train properly at the moment, jus too much stress wid uni work, cant wait till the summer, i'll have no worries and can train properly!!

yeah, man, I love talkin' bout it too..love training as well, if I don't, I just feel wierd. But yeah I know 10% is low, but I really wanna have abs...yes hard, but I aim high, lol, and that is what it is going to take. I wish I could run 5 miles, but I lift everyother day, and do 30 min cardio inbetween. Only 30 min. cause any more and your body typically tends to use muscle for energy. I'm trying to lose fat, while maintaining my current muscle mass, so lifting, enough protein along with heatly diet, and rest are my method.

btw...running not as effective as most people think...it certainly helps, but you have to run a lot, and then you are also losing muscle. I know while losing fat you lose some muscle as well, but I'm trying to minimize that.

Gurfateh Bro's!!!

It depends on what type of diet you are on... Calorie deficit is the main thing when ttrying to cut up, or having really low insulin levels, which means minimizing simple carbs and fruit sugars etc.

10% b.f is what im aiming for this summer too, but i look pretty cut at about 13-14%. Just getting to 13-14% for me is hard, so im going to have to cut till 14%ish, do my exams and then try and blitz the last 8lbs or so after my exams... but 10% will be mine.... do or die.

Do cardio early morning on empty stomach, you will increase fatloss significantly.

Goony, bro, am doing about 25-30 miles a week right now, started again 2day, cutting for a futher 3-4 weeks.

Getting the size back wont be hard, the hardest thing is gaining the muscle in the first instance, but if it does atrophy, it will grow back quickly because of the common phenomenon called "muscle memory".

Actually slow intensity long duration cardio, you can get away with about 60mins in one session.

Good advice by goony for the newbies to training or the ones who are "stuck".

Think YOU'RE STRONG?

u've got a point there rakash singh, its all about having low body fat and moderate body weight whilst still pushing more on the compund exercises then the "big boys"

went to gp 4 health check..i weighed 98kg (15.5 stone) at 5 ft 9..i should be weighing around 70ish kg for my height...(i was weighing 10.5 stone before training)

obviously theres some body fat, but hopefully not 20kj worth!!..

on my good days (proper gym, good nutrition and no uni stress) i can deadlift 200kg, squat 180kg, bench 122kg (all for 3 reps)..

i need to get the bench up, but uve diamond point...it would be wicked to weigh 70ish kg and still have the above lifts..that would be awesome, though difficult, but i suppose with perseverence and excellent technique, along with the other main ingredients, its possible

Well u at 70kg would be hard, i dont think u cud eva reach that light weight, unless u was in some sort of prison camp living on a burn piece of toast a day and an egg or so. lol.

Nah bro u should aim for 85-90 kg, with same lifts in time, that would be pretty magnificent. goony cut to around 13.5 stone and u'll be a rock!!

im in 70k region.. but my mass is all distributed wrong!!

im out for a couple weeks at least.. played footy yesterday and splintered the nail of my big toe!!.. so i aint gona be running anywhere fast!!

but i got the old bells out.. dusted off the cobwebs.. guess thats a start!!

Goony!! u may not remember me, I remember the days u started training in the basement gym at imperial.......what roids u been taking?!!!lol.

U read the book super squats? also check out www..t-nation.com for honest advice on increasing your poundages. Theres a wikid article on benching big, u have to spend a lot of time searching the site tho. Also check out www.ironmind.com for good articles. U still in hounslow?

Sukh

wow, gooney, props for lifting all that weight man. I can't lift nearly as much as you, but then I've just started lifting 1 month ago...but I read up a lot before i begin something..lol..

I'm 6' 3" and weight 220lbs and nowhere near as strong, but I guess it's gonna take me some time to get to where you're at.

thanks bro!!! when i got in2 training i was listening to the wrong people, they had bad technique and a bad attitude to training (i wanna lift more than him)..after a while with no gains i reassessed my training and nutrition and sleep...started reading alot more magazines (although following those juiced up routines can be counterproductive!!!) and defo more internet sites...what i deduced was that im small and need to gain mass..so i made sure i benched, deadlifted and squatted really heavy, but with good form..these exercises are the what i call real "sikh" exercises..its all about brute strength and power and determination to lift the weight, making sure defeat the weight not the other way around!!

with these 3 exercises. though i don't do them as regular now, the ones to give me overall mass, things like training biceps were minor, they're a small muscle group, and they grow through heavy deads and barbell rows anyway!! one thing that defo helped was putting weight up each week, i.e. if i bench 110 for three reps this week, next week i put on 1 kg on each side, and do the same following week, so in a month you put 8 kg onto the bar..but it requires great mental strength..funniest when im doin deads - i shout WAHEGURU!! on each rep of 200 kg and the goras dont know whats happinin!!! at least they know singhs can pick up good weight!! waheguru